HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

YOUR TEAM'S prospect pool!

Old
03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
Worse than the Flames.
idk about that our 8th best prospect Joe Cannata could be better than ur 3rd best Leland Irving.

Just gotta wait and see how he does in the AHL.

Even though Irving has turned his career around the last 2 years I wouldn't personally think he has the same pedigree he once had. He's already starting to slow down and post similar stats compared to when he was sent down to the ECHL where even there he didn't do that good in his short stint

Outside of Bartschi theres no one on the Flames prospect list u listed i'd take without a doubt over the Canuck prospect at that number.
Couple maybes with Brodie and Ferland and Granlund.

Overall Canucks have more depth and higher potential prospects in net and on defence. Flames have higher potential in offense and more depth.

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
great read and I like how you went into detail over many of the players past as well..

personally I think you have 2 absolute gems that will be in your top 10 by next year if not already.

Justin Florek and Zach Trotman. Trotman is a beast and is having a monster junior season at Lake Superior State...pure stud in the making..and he is going to make some people go how the hell did this kid get drafted in the last pick of the 2010 draft!

Florek is my main wildcard as this kid is so big, raw, and skilled that he could very well be a NHLer for you guys next year...had a great year for Northern Michigan, but I think he will be an even better pro..

in his first game with Providence, Florek has 2 goals and 2 assists!!!! I have no worries he can keep that pace up
Thank you, with everyone else in the mix I had completely forgotten about Florek and Trotman. Definitely two players who I will be keeping my eyes on going forward!

DJENTLEMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
idk about that our 8th best prospect Joe Cannata could be better than ur 3rd best Leland Irving.

Irving has already demonstrated he can play well at the AHL level and in limited action at the NHL level.

That lone makes him a better prospect that Cannata who is completely unproven.

But whatever, it is a waste of time to argue about it. Canuck fans will prefer their prospects, Flames fans will prefer their prospect. Frankly both prospect bases stink to high heaven.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Canucks' goalie prospects with Lack and Cannata alone make gives them a decent prospect pool.

On defense there is a lot of promise. Connauton looks like a real nice prospect, and then there's Sauve and Polasek who have some potential at the pro level. McNally, Price, Tommernes, and Corrado look very intriguing and at least one of them should pan out as NHLers. McNally in particular is looking like a top prospect after a fantastic freshman year.

On forward the Canucks are crap IMO. Only three forward prospects playing in the AHL this year: Schroeder, Rodin, and Sweatt. There is some promise for all three still. Other than that, only Jensen and Labate look like good prospects.

I would rank the Canucks' top 10 like this:

1. Lack
2. Schroeder
3. Connauton
4. Jensen
5. Rodin
6. Cannata
7. McNally
8. Labate
9. Price
10. Sauve

(if Tanev and Kassian would be included, they should be #1 and #2 respectively)

Last edited by Tim Calhoun: 03-25-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Quote:
i doubt that i'd say we're middle of the pack. We might not have the top end some teams do but we have depth at every position

Kassian (a top young pwf)
Tanev (NHL ready puck mover)
Lack (top 3 AHL goalie)
Jensen (another top young pwf)
Schroeder (great 2 way fwd progressing like CoHo)
Connauton (PP QB AHL All Star)
McNally (a top NCAA offensive d-man and is in his freshman year)
Cannata (a top NCAA goalie)
Rodin (good 2 way foward)
Corrado (a top OHL defender)
Labate (almost a ppg pwf in the NCAA as a freshman)
Sweatt (good checker with speed like Raymond)
Sauve (good shutdown defender who can hit)
Polasek (good 2 way defender)

then we have some projects:
Friesen (top OHL defensive foward) who could turn into a Pahlsson or Malhotra
Archibald (gritty big pwf) could be a gem if he works on his skating and effort as those are the only things holding him back
Honzik (raw goalie plays similar to Rinne) 1st year he's ever had a goalie coach so he's only going to improve
Grenier (decent pwf in the QMJHL) has speed size and hands, just raw and inexperienced.
Blomstrand (gritty checking line foward) developed an offensive game in jr Swedish league but has yet to show it in the SEL since being moved up.

Definately not as bad as u say we are. We've got 3 great offensive/2 way d-men. A couple decent defensive d-men who have hard shots that they could play on the PP too. Then we have 2 of the best goalie prospects when we don't even need young goalies because of Schneider. Have some good young pwf and 2 way fowards. Last but not least we have a few projects that if we get lucky like other teams could pan out but at worst a couple could still make the NHL in bottom 6 roles
Being a big forward doesn't make a player a power forward.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I had this huge long post eaten by my browser.

So I'll just post the order but Dallas has a decent collection of wingers and blueliners but is in desperate need of a center or two.

1) Campbell
2) Olesiak
3) Chiasson
4) R. Smith
5) Nemeth
6) Glennie
7) Stranksy
8) Guptill
9) Ritchie
10) Bachman
11) Dillion
12) Fraser
13) Jordie Benn
14) Klingberg
15) Vance

If you've got a particular question feel free to ask though I don't promise to know the answer I'll probably have an opinion.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:40 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:

Even though Irving has turned his career around the last 2 years I wouldn't personally think he has the same pedigree he once had. He's already starting to slow down and post similar stats compared to when he was sent down to the ECHL where even there he didn't do that good in his short stint

Outside of Bartschi theres no one on the Flames prospect list u listed i'd take without a doubt over the Canuck prospect at that number.
Couple maybes with Brodie and Ferland and Granlund.

Overall Canucks have more depth and higher potential prospects in net and on defence. Flames have higher potential in offense and more depth.
, So? Laurent Brossoit could be better then your sixth best Joe Cannata or first best Eddie Lack. Plenty of goalies can put up strong numbers in the NCAA, they are an absolute crap shoot. Leland Irving has shown he has the ability to be a capable goaltender at the NHL level. None of your goalie prospects can say that.

Flawed logic.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Smallz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I had this huge long post eaten by my browser.

So I'll just post the order but Dallas has a decent collection of wingers and blueliners but is in desperate need of a center or two.

1) Campbell
2) Olesiak
3) Chiasson
4) R. Smith
5) Nemeth
6) Glennie
7) Stranksy
8) Guptill
9) Ritchie
10) Bachman
11) Dillion
12) Fraser
13) Jordie Benn
14) Klingberg
15) Vance

If you've got a particular question feel free to ask though I don't promise to know the answer I'll probably have an opinion.
How far off do you believe Glennie is?

Smallz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Hale The Villain

Sens top 10 (with potential upsides)

1. RW, Mark Stone - 1st line RW capable of 60-80P seasons
2. RW, Mika Zibanejad - two-way winger in the mold of Michalek
3. RW, Jakob Silfverberg - two-way 2nd line winger
4. G, Robin Lehner - potential #1 if Bishop fails
5. LW, Stefan Noesen - 3rd line grinder with skill
6. LW, Shane Prince - speedy 2nd/3rd line winger
7. G, Ben Bishop - potential #1 if Lehner fails
8. LW, Matt Puempel - possible top 6 sniper, but could easily bust
9. RW, Andre Petersson - possible top 6 sniper, but could easily bust
10. D, Mark Borowiecki - solid 3rd pairing defensive defenseman

Overall pretty solid. I'd say it's top 5 in the league. Defense needs to be improved and we could use more goaltending depth beyond Lehner and Bishop.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
How far off do you believe Glennie is?
Talent wise? Half a year. Mentally? Probably never. Maybe I'm under estimating the maturity process and he's begun to turn the corner but if I had a gun to my head I'd bet against him. Doesn't mean he won't make it and he certainly doesn't lack the talent but Dallas has wingers Fraser, R. Smith and Chiasson all of whom are probably better than him. He may be trade bait to fill a hole elsewhere or he's going to have to step it up to make his mark.

R. Smith is getting the call straight from college while Glennie is passed over. That can either be very motivating or completely discouraging depending on how he takes it and responds. We'll have to see.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenpsyche View Post
Sharks don't need goalies since we already have potential starters there and 8 goalies signed currently. We also have some ok defense prospects that should be second liners. We are just so weak on forward prospects that we are by far the worst overall.
The goalies are the only bright spots. They do have decent d prospects but they are all pretty much cut from the same mold. Tough and physical defensive d-men with exception of Matt Irwin and Albetschauer. Forwards are all bottom six bangers and crashers with the exception of Nieto who has skill and speed and nice upside. Not alot for us Sharks fans to crow about.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Smallz

Quote:
Talent wise? Half a year. Mentally? Probably never. Maybe I'm under estimating the maturity process and he's begun to turn the corner but if I had a gun to my head I'd bet against him. Doesn't mean he won't make it and he certainly doesn't lack the talent but Dallas has wingers Fraser, R. Smith and Chiasson all of whom are probably better than him. He may be trade bait to fill a hole elsewhere or he's going to have to step it up to make his mark.

R. Smith is getting the call straight from college while Glennie is passed over. That can either be very motivating or completely discouraging depending on how he takes it and responds. We'll have to see.
Interesting.....so it seems like he is really hit or miss then?

Is maturity the only roadblock in his way?

If it is and assuming he becomes more mature in the next 3-5 seasons, what kind of totals do you think he is capable of putting up in the NHL?

Old
03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Montreal Prospect Pool

1. Nathan Beaulieu: Offensive defensman with elite skating and with potential to be a very good No. 2-3 defensman.
2. Louis Leblanc: Good offensive upside and a good 2-way player, can also play pyhsical and has a unrivalled compete level. Could be a and decent 2nd/3rd line centre/winger who can pot in 15-25 goals and 40-50 points.
3. Brendan Gallagher: With training camp showing, displayed flashes of top-notch offensive skill and was everywhere on the ice. Not the best skating but is very talented and will never quit. Potential 1st/2nd line winger who can put up 50+ points with 25-30 goals.
4. Jarred Tinordi: Defensive defenseman who plays with a pyhsical edge and who can make a good first pass. Can also move the puck well. Potential 2nd pairing Dman.
5. Danny Kristo: Forward with very good offensive upside and fantastic speed, also a good 2-way forward. Could be a a good 1st/elite 2nd liner who can score 25 goals and about 50-55+ points.
6. Aaron Palushaj: 2-Way forward with some offensive upside and average skating. Projects to be a 2nd/3rd line winger with upside of 30-45 points.
7. Morgan Ellis: Very good defensive defenseman with fluid and smooth skating. could be a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman.
8. Michael Bournival: A center with a good defensive aspect to his game and average offensive skill. Shutdown 3rd/4th liner.
9. Patrick Holland: Good offensive skills and a good playmaker and sound in his own zone. Potential to become a decent 2nd/3rd line forward.
10. Alexander Avtsin: Has high end offensive talent and very good skating. Needs to work on his defensive game and build up his frame. Could become a very good 1st liner to a above average 2nd line winger, only if he improves his game.

Strengths:
-Exceptional depth on defense and an abundance of PMD (including Subban, Weber, Diaz)
-Decent depth on the wings, espescially on the RW.

Weaknesses:
-No sure-fire elite offensive talent and no #1 center.
-Weak goaltending depth.

Ranking: maybe 20th-25th, after this year's draft, could vault up into the early teens (11th-15th)

Last edited by AJMHABS: 03-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.
AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Furback*

well here are my favorite sabre prospects

1.) Brayden Mcnabb huge physical d man with offensive upside, I love his game I know alot of people dont think he is Sabres top prospect, but I do
2.) Joel Armia great hands lazy at times but pure offensive gifts that cant be taught
3.) Mark Pysk safe stay at home d man perfect 3 4 d man
4.) Marcus Foligno not the most tallented but huge and works his but off every shift and off to a unreal NHL start
5.) Jerome Gauthier-Leduc good offensive d man but is a bit soft and not great defensivly
6,)Daniel Cattanacci small player but can fly kinda reminds me of cogliano with a edge.
7.) Corey Tropp playing in the NHL right now with Hodgson and Vanek, physical player that goes to the net hard career 3rd or 4th liner
8.) Kevin Suhnder good hands and vission smart player but weak in his own end
9.) T J Brennon doubt he will ever stick with the big club
10.) Drew Schiestel decent d man but probably wont get a chance to stick with the big club

Furback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Interesting.....so it seems like he is really hit or miss then?

Is maturity the only roadblock in his way?

If it is and assuming he becomes more mature in the next 3-5 seasons, what kind of totals do you think he is capable of putting up in the NHL?
Maturity and an ability to stay healthy. I don't think he's gone through a full preseason camp in three years. That supposedly is what causes him to struggle out of the gate, get healthy and then turn it on in the 2nd half of seasons which is where his ability turns into productivity.

2nd line winger/center 50-60 points would be his ceiling right now. He hasn't shown he's a sure fire 1st line guy who can produce nightly since his days riding shotgun with B. Schenn.

I wanted Kulikov that draft. I haven't changed my mind.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Smallz

Quote:
Maturity and an ability to stay healthy. I don't think he's gone through a full preseason camp in three years. That supposedly is what causes him to struggle out of the gate, get healthy and then turn it on in the 2nd half of seasons which is where his ability turns into productivity.

2nd line winger/center 50-60 points would be his ceiling right now. He hasn't shown he's a sure fire 1st line guy who can produce nightly since his days riding shotgun with B. Schenn.

I wanted Kulikov that draft. I haven't changed my mind.
Hmmm I see.....well it will be interesting to follow him and see what kind of career he winds up having.

Thanks for all the great info!

Old
03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Sens top 10 (with potential upsides)

1. RW, Mark Stone - 1st line RW capable of 60-80P seasons
2. RW, Mika Zibanejad - two-way winger in the mold of Michalek
3. RW, Jakob Silfverberg - two-way 2nd line winger
4. G, Robin Lehner - potential #1 if Bishop fails
5. LW, Stefan Noesen - 3rd line grinder with skill
6. LW, Shane Prince - speedy 2nd/3rd line winger
7. G, Ben Bishop - potential #1 if Lehner fails
8. LW, Matt Puempel - possible top 6 sniper, but could easily bust
9. RW, Andre Petersson - possible top 6 sniper, but could easily bust
10. D, Mark Borowiecki - solid 3rd pairing defensive defenseman

Overall pretty solid. I'd say it's top 5 in the league. Defense needs to be improved and we could use more goaltending depth beyond Lehner and Bishop.
I thought Zbad was a centre?

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
man has Mitch Wahl fallen
A lot of Flames fans were high on Wahl. He looked great in camp a couple of years ago.

He hasn't really been the same since the concussion/fractured orbital bone though. But you never know. I think he'll get one more chance next year.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Rank. Name, Position - Potential

1. Nazem Kadri, LW/C - Top 6 forward with an awesome skill set (hands, vision, playmaking abilities, etc.)
2. Joe Colborne, C - Big top 6 center with very good skill set
3. Carter Ashton, RW - Big top 6 power forward
4. Matt Frattin, RW - 2nd/3rd line strong sniper
5. Jesse Blacker, D - Top 4 two-way defenseman, very good offensively and physically
6. Tyler Biggs, RW - Big power forward, physical force with leadership qualities
7. Stuart Percy, D - Top 4 safe two-way defenseman
8. Brad Ross, LW - 3rd line motor that hit, fight, and derange
9. Korbinian Holzer, D - Big, solid, safe defensive bottom pairing defenseman
10. Greg McKegg, C/LW - Top 6 forward with a good skill set
11. Ben Scrivens, G - Decent starting goaltender
12. Josh Leivo, LW - Complementary two-way top 6 winger
13. Jerry D'Amigo, LW - Solid two-way bottom 6 motor, hit, grind, heart and soul player
14. Nicolas Deschmaps, LW - Solid two-way playmaking 2nd/3rd liner winger
15. Mark Owuya, G - Decent starting goaltender
16. Marcel Mueller, LW - Big fast 3rd liner that can hit
17. Petter Granberg, D - Big solid bottom pairing defensive defenseman
18. Garret Sparks, G - Decent starting goaltender
19. Sondre Olden, LW - Big top 6 skill forward, boom or bust type of prospect
20. David Broll, LW/Greg Scott, RW/Andrew Crescenzi, C/Josh Nicholls, RW/Kenny Ryan, RW/Sam Carrick, C/Jamie Devane, LW

At 20 I wasn't to sure of which of them is my favorite one, all potential solid 4th liner.

David Broll: Big physical force 4th liner (hit and fight)
Greg Scott: Speedy energetic 4th liner
Andrew Crescenzi: Big 4th liner center that can hit and fight
Josh Nicholls: Bottom 6 two-way forward
Kenny Ryan: Shutdown defensive 4th liner
Sam Carrick: 4th line heart and soul player
Jamie Devane: Big 4th line fighter

Last edited by QMJHLfollower: 03-26-2012 at 08:25 PM.
QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
I thought Zbad was a centre?
The Sens organization sees him fitting better in the NHL as a winger.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Vancouver Canucks

1. RW/LW - Nicklas Jensen - Our best IMO, 1st/2nd line potential with size.

2. RW - Zack Kassian - I think he will have a similar career to Scott Hartnell with a bit different playing style.

3. D - Chris Tanev - Very reliable player, makes great plays, very calm and consistent.

4. G - Eddie Lack - Has put up better numbers in the AHL than Markstrom, I see him as a slightly above average starter but not elite

5. C/LW - Brendan Gaunce - Similar to Brooks Laich IMO, I don't think skating isn't the issue people originally thought, then add Size, a good shot & decent offensive ability, a good two way game, and leadership. In addition to a great work ethic. and I think he could be a useful 2nd line center, can also play LW. Lots to like.

6. C - Jordan Schroeder - I preach patience with him. he has been probably the best/most consistent forward on the Wolves this year, he is a very dangerous offensive a player, he has great playmaking ability but he also has a lethal shot, He goes to the tough areas, he is very strong for his size and quite strong on his skates, and he's also a responsable defensive player. 2nd Liner IMO, just gotta give him some time.

7. D - Frank Corrado - A solid all round game, sorta like Tanev but with more physical skills. 2nd pair D-man.

8. D - Kevin Connaution - When he is on his game, he is good defensively (Which is his biggest knock) When he isn't he is brutal. Offensively he has all the tools, a bomb for a shot, good passer, good skater, and his defensive game has improved alot, he just has to work on consistentcy mainly defensively. 2nd/3rd pair + top PP specialist.

9. LW - Anton Rodin - He has all the skills, good skater, great at protecting the puck, good shot, good defensive game, goes to tough areas. I think he just needs more opportunity, he has been treated terribly by Scott Arniel (Wolves Head Coach) If he bulks up I think he could be a good 3rd liner, similar to Sean Bergeinheim.

10. D - Yann Sauve - Skates quite well for a big guy, and is a great shut down option, I am always impressed with him whenever I see him play at any level but he has been treated poorly by Arniel aswell (For no reason IMO, he's a + player in an only defensive role) He could be a Solid Bottom pairing option, with better mobility than the average bottom pair defensive player.

Other notable mentions:

D - Peter Andersson - A big defensive D-man who makes good plays, can skate, and has impressed in his 1st year in NA with the Wolves.

D - Henrik Tommernes - Good two way D-man with decent size and solid skating ability. has had peaks and valleys in the SEL but could become something eventually

C - Joe Labate - Don't know a ton about him but alot of Vancouver Fans like this guy. From what I know he's a big guy with a good offensive skillset, 2nd/3rd line potential.

C/LW - Alex Mallet - 2012 2nd Rounder, has size, grit, physicality and skating ability, also showed he has considerable offensive ability with Rimouski in the Q.

G - Joe Cannata - Former Hobey Baker nominee, and a star at Merrimack Collage, impressed our organization big time late last year when he suited up and played well for the Wolves. has struggled a bit this year, but is getting better.

RW - Alex Greiner - Big Guy (6'5 200) Who can skate really well, isn't as physical as you would like but he works hard, is responsible defensively and has decent offensive ability.

D - Evan McEneny - Missed last year with an injury (His draft year), went undrafted and we signed him, likely would have been a 3rd or 4th round pick. Has size and is an offensive minded defensemen who skates well and is good defensively, good on the PP and PK. has looked good along side Murphy on Kitchener's 1st pair.

I think our prospects are better than people give us credit for, our top 8 are quite good prospects and could matchup with alot of other teams, there is just a drop off after that though, and a lack of top end prospects aside from Jensen and Kassian.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 01-04-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
, So? Laurent Brossoit could be better then your sixth best Joe Cannata or first best Eddie Lack. Plenty of goalies can put up strong numbers in the NCAA, they are an absolute crap shoot. Leland Irving has shown he has the ability to be a capable goaltender at the NHL level. None of your goalie prospects can say that.

Flawed logic.
Yeah I agree, I would say Brossoit is better than Cannata for sure, and it is premature to say Cannata is better than Irvingm or that Brossoit is better than Lack. If I had to rate them from 1-4 I would go:

1. Lack
2. Irving
3. Brossoit
4. Cannata

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote