HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Who is the best MN sports team?

View Poll Results: Which is the best MN sports team?
Twins 4 19.05%
Wolves 1 4.76%
Wild 7 33.33%
Gophers 7 33.33%
Vikings 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
True, the wolves are legitimately a couple players away from being a playoff team.
I thought they were a Ricky Rubio away from being a playoff team.

Ba-Zing!

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
roon

vCash: 500
Why aren't the Swarm getting any love?!

roon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
If you get a chance, you have to go to the city of ANTIGUA. beautiful place.
That is where I'll be staying, so I hear. Would love recommendations on fun things to do in and around town.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Why aren't the Swarm getting any love?!
Because we have better things to do.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Because we have better things to do.
Because they've only been on TV, once? The one game there was a goalie fight 5 minutes in the game. Legendary.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
Because they've only been on TV, once? The one game there was a goalie fight 5 minutes in the game. Legendary.
And never to be seen from again....

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I'd care about Lacrosse if it was ever on TV.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Where is the Bulldogs?

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Where is the Bulldogs?
I never even heard of the Bulldogs until last year.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I never even heard of the Bulldogs until last year.
haha good one

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
haha good one
I was being serious.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Yeah I knew that Duluth had a university but didn't really know anything about the Bulldogs or their hockey team until they won it last year.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Dr Jan Itor

This poll is depressing right now.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

I voted for the Wild. If I didn't I probably would not be posting right now.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I'm going to say that Population-wise is more important than Geographically, seeing as big expanses of land can't have allegiance to a team. 68% of people live in the cities, and most of them have some sort of Gophers connection. More often than not the students I interact with at UMD have some sort of fandom for the Gophers, granted if UMD is playing MINN, UMD comes first.

And I'm not trying to say that within Minnesota the gophers are super important, but I'm looking at it from a foreigner's perspective, and the Gophers are one of the main teams that represent Minnesota to other states.
I don't have any statistics handy, but I imagine that fewer than 5% of the people in the Twin Cities have a Gopher connection. Sure, they can be vocal, but when it comes down to it, there's not really much for a population, even in the cities.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I voted the Gophers just to please Nate.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I don't have any statistics handy, but I imagine that fewer than 5% of the people in the Twin Cities have a Gopher connection. Sure, they can be vocal, but when it comes down to it, there's not really much for a population, even in the cities.
Holy made up stat!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Holy made up stat!
Want to come up with a remotely more reasonable one? There's almost nothing tying the vast majority of Twin Cities residents to the Gophers other than geography. In fact, of the couple hundred that I know, not a single one has any ties.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:19 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Want to come up with a remotely more reasonable one? There's almost nothing tying the vast majority of Twin Cities residents to the Gophers other than geography. In fact, of the couple hundred that I know, not a single one has any ties.
Sure lets use geography. If a vast majority of Twin Cities residents have ties to the Gophers and 60% of the state live in the Twin Cities that would be a healthy percentage. Also as someone who lives hundreds of miles away from the Twin Cities, statistically you should know less people who have ties because odds are those people do not have ties to the Twin Cities or Gophers.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:03 AM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Quote:
Ok this is going to be quite the stretch here, but at least its going to use some numbers. And a ton of assumptions. Realize I'm only doing this for Fun and not using this as hard fact.

According to the U of M website, they just did a survey sent to 385 000 Alumni. And it says that there are "well of 400 000 Alumni out there". We'll estimate that there are 450 000 Alumni.

There's a roughly 50/50 mix of Male/females at the U.

The last estimate was that there are 2.06 children born/woman in the US.
So there would be about 463 500 Kids born to A woman from the U of M. But not every U of M man marries a college sweet-heart. Lets say that 50% of the men marry someone from the U, so 112 500 Men have kids with someone other than a U alumni, raising the Children born into a U of M house to 695 250. This number is obviously probably High, since not every person has children.
So 695 250 + 450 000 + 52 557 = 1 197 807 people with a direct or 1 degree away connection to the U.

There was a study recently (Can't find it for the life of me) that said that Minnesotans more than any other state's inhabitants stay within the state, and even close to their home town.

I don't have any data on that, And it would be an even bigger stretch than this was to figure out how many people are grand kids to someone who went to the U, or someone who supports the U even though they have no direct ties.

But if Even 50% of alumni stayed within the metro area, that's about 18% of people in the area with a direct, or 1 degree away connection to the U.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:48 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Wow I didn't even realize until now that GS changed his avatar. Love that movie. Chief FTW!!!!!

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:56 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Ok this is going to be quite the stretch here, but at least its going to use some numbers. And a ton of assumptions. Realize I'm only doing this for Fun and not using this as hard fact.

According to the U of M website, they just did a survey sent to 385 000 Alumni. And it says that there are "well of 400 000 Alumni out there". We'll estimate that there are 450 000 Alumni.

There's a roughly 50/50 mix of Male/females at the U.

The last estimate was that there are 2.06 children born/woman in the US.
So there would be about 463 500 Kids born to A woman from the U of M. But not every U of M man marries a college sweet-heart. Lets say that 50% of the men marry someone from the U, so 112 500 Men have kids with someone other than a U alumni, raising the Children born into a U of M house to 695 250. This number is obviously probably High, since not every person has children.
So 695 250 + 450 000 + 52 557 = 1 197 807 people with a direct or 1 degree away connection to the U.

There was a study recently (Can't find it for the life of me) that said that Minnesotans more than any other state's inhabitants stay within the state, and even close to their home town.

I don't have any data on that, And it would be an even bigger stretch than this was to figure out how many people are grand kids to someone who went to the U, or someone who supports the U even though they have no direct ties.

But if Even 50% of alumni stayed within the metro area, that's about 18% of people in the area with a direct, or 1 degree away connection to the U.
I think your assumptions are rather generous (specifically, the "intrabreeding rate" for lack of a better term) and ignored a major factor in double-counting (children often go to the same school as their parents, meaning a family of 4, with 2 parents from the U, whose 2 kids both go to the U are being counted as 8 people with ties). Finally, for the purpose that started this debate, this assumes that everyone with ties to the U of M cares about their sports teams. Incidence there is likely less than 50%, but that's going to be even harder to pinpoint than the population with ties.

But if we use your number, we're still dealing with a situation where the vast majority of the Twin Cities have absolutely no ties to the U other than geography.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Going pro sports only, it's clearly the Wolves and not close. They have an elite player in Love, Rubio was really sparking the offense before getting hurt, and D.Will has tons of talent and is young.

Twins are absolute crap with no pitching, no prospects, and one Morneau injury away from just having Mauer and a bunch of nobodies.

Vikings have Peterson, Harvin, and Allen. Unfortunately from what I'm told you need to have a lot more players than that to play football. Including something called a "quarter back".

Wild are probably second, but the roster is fresh-squeezed steamer and they have zero game breakers with terrible defense AND an even worse offense. Not to mention a coach who's learning "on the fly". Only upside is the prospect pool, but of course those kids are unproven and I still don't believe they have a game breaker there.

To answer the question, get the classic TC hat. Probably about the only iconic sports logo in the state, and IMO up there with the best.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote