HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[6-3 WIN] Oilers Escape Cellar; Sit 28th in Standings

Old
03-25-2012, 06:39 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Nice to see Jonesy chip in. Was he more useful than usual (I swear he's the most inefficient hockey player in the NHL. Works his butt off but never seems to get anything done-- or it's because of that insane effort level that he does). Reminds me of Ethan Moreau or Marty Reasoner in that regard. I don't mean to say he's not a 'useful' player, either. Just that, for example, when he is covering a man or playing in the offensive zone, he does a hell of a lot more skating, falling, and scrambling than is really necessary. But usually manages to at least keep up, or keep from being embarrassed at the very worst.
Jones with 7 pts in 4 games versus Columbus this year. He's a BJ killer.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
AK Dandyman

vCash: 500
Mason was so awful, one of the worst goaltending performance i've in seen in a long time. It would have been a very close game if they have even half decent goaltending.

Anyone had an idea why Renney used so little of RNH & Eberle in the 3rd?

They were going very well in the first 2 periods. I know we had a couple of penalties early in the 3rd, but Renney keep sending out Gagner & Hemsky after the penalties instead of RNH/Eberle.

Their lines played about the same minutes after 2 periods, but at the end of the game, Gagner & Hemsky had played about 4 minutes more than RNH, with RNH getting only 2 or 3 minutes in the 3rd and a total of 15 minutes for the game!?

Renney doesn't want him to win the Calder?

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Mason was so awful, one of the worst goaltending performance i've in seen in a long time. It would have been a very close game if they have even half decent goaltending.

Anyone had an idea why Renney use so little of RNH & Eberle in the 3rd?

They were going very well in the first 2 periods. I know we had a couple of penalties early in the 3rd, but Renney keep sending out Gagner & Hemsky after the penalties instead of RNH/Eberle.

Their lines played about the same minutes after 2 periods, but at the end of the game, Gagner & Hemsky had played about 4 minutes more than RNH, with RNH getting only 15 minutes!?
No kidding.

Vande Velde's goal...

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:

Anyone had an idea why Renney used so little of RNH & Eberle in the 3rd?

Their lines played about the same minutes after 2 periods, but at the end of the game, Gagner & Hemsky had played about 4 minutes more than RNH, with RNH getting only 2 or 3 minutes in the 3rd and a total of 15 minutes for the game!?

Renney doesn't want him to win the Calder?
Just another example as to why Renney won't be back.

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Luckily here comes the pain train with Los Angeles twice and Vancouver once! It's also possible somebody will go for scoring over defense and take Filip Forsberg in the top 4.
I don't think LA has scored twice on us yet this year, and vancouver is playing like hot garbage lately and won't have daniel sedin. I could see us winning these games with the way the team has been playing.

Also to everybody commenting on RNH and Eberle's 3rd period ice time you should be questioning Massenhoven not Renney, I'm pretty sure that was a 20 min PK effort.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Jeff Petry, what a stud.

Blue And Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Just another example as to why Renney won't be back.
It could also be that the Oil played huge PK minutes in the 3rd. I'm not a Renney backer but at least look at the underlying factors before throwing him under the bus.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Brokenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
Jeff Petry, what a stud.
Sure is, although I didn't think he had his best game today. Still the entire second half of this season this guy has transformed himself into a boss.
Him and Smid are awesome together, wish they would play 30 minutes a night.
Ladi Smid: Played every game this year, toughest zone starts, toughest opponents, different D partners, still a +6 on the year.

Brokenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This is all of the people that had their hearts set on Yakupov/Grigorernko right now.

The best part about that clip on the show is (A) it is playing Vince Guaraldi's music from Peanuts, and (B) there is a giant red doghouse with a person in a beagle suit sleeping on top of it, but it's easy to miss.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:27 PM
CopperBlue2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
The best part about that clip on the show is (A) it is playing Vince Guaraldi's music from Peanuts, and (B) there is a giant red doghouse with a person in a beagle suit sleeping on top of it, but it's easy to miss.
That's funny because I didn't notice the red doghouse until I read your post lol

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
ithxan

Suck it Jones haters. 3 points!

ithxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:38 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
It could also be that the Oil played huge PK minutes in the 3rd. I'm not a Renney backer but at least look at the underlying factors before throwing him under the bus.
? What are you talking about? RNH and Eberle should have been getting more ice time or at least equal ice time as Gagner and Hemsky. Gagner and Hemsky got a total of 0 minutes on the PK, so there was no reason to play them more than RNH and Eberle.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
? What are you talking about? RNH and Eberle should have been getting more ice time or at least equal ice time as Gagner and Hemsky. Gagner and Hemsky got a total of 0 minutes on the PK, so there was no reason to play them more than RNH and Eberle.
Hemsky 4:13
Gagner 4:18
RNH 3:08
Eberle 3:08 (.40)Pk

you are really getting upset that Hemsky and Gagner played roughly 1 more shift at EV. Could also be that they worked Eberle in on the end of PKs so that line wasn't the first one over the boards after a kill. Would have liked to have seen them more as well but that difference isn't worth getting upset at.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Every shift after the penalty killings in the 3rd, he would send out Gagner/Hemsky. I know Jones is a Pkler, but you can give Omark or Eager a shift with RNH/Eberle.

When RNH & Eberle were going so well, you can't play them only 2-3 minutes in the 3rd period in a game like this. Golden chances for these guys to rack up a couple more points.

I was also surprised that after the penalties were over, they went back to rotating the 4 lines whereas RNH/Eberle had so little ice time. Renney could have easily rotate RNH/Eberle every second shift.

15 min for RNH & 17 for Eberle but Gagner & Hemsky had 19+. None of them kill penalty and RNH/Eberle played real well with 2 points each after the 2nd period already. If they did that for Gagner's 8 points game when he was having a great night where they rotate his line every second shift, why wouldn't Renney do it for Eberle & RNH this game?

I am puzzled.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithxan View Post
Suck it Jones haters. 3 points!
I like how people were trying to justify the Hemsky non-trade because Jones would have been the 2RW. Then he gets bumped to the 1LW a week after. HAHAHA

He's a fourth liner. Oilers lack quality depth. So he's been hot playing with 14 and 93. Good for him. Maybe he hits 20.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:57 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Every shift after the penalty killings in the 3rd, he would send out Gagner/Hemsky. I know Jones is a Pkler, but you can give Omark or Eager a shift with RNH/Eberle.

When RNH & Eberle were going so well, you can't play them only 2-3 minutes in the 3rd period in a game like this. Golden chances for these guys to rack up a couple more points.

I was also surprised that after the penalties were over, they went back to rotating the 4 lines whereas RNH/Eberle had so little ice time. Renney could have easily rotate RNH/Eberle every second shift.

15 min for RNH & 17 for Eberle but Gagner & Hemsky had 19+. None of them kill penalty and RNH/Eberle played real well with 2 points each after the 2nd period already.

I am puzzled.
Agreed. At least Horcoff wasn't playing this game or would have probably played 25 minutes with all the penalties, plus his regular shifts and PP.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
dixs35

Quote:

15 min for RNH & 17 for Eberle but Gagner & Hemsky had 19+. None of them kill penalty and RNH/Eberle played real well with 2 points each after the 2nd period already. If they did that for Gagner's 8 points game when he was having a great night where they rotate his line every second shift, why wouldn't Renney do it for Eberle & RNH this game?

I am puzzled.
When Eberle was on the PK IIRC he was on for the tail end of the PK so that would be a reason why they weren't first over the boards.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Oilers10

Man wtf Gagner. When Gags had his 8 pt nights guys were hooking him up from all over the ice. He had the chance to pass it to RNH and didn't.

Yes I know he scored, but what did it matter? THe game was already out of reach. People hooked you up Sam try helping RNH get the Calder!

Oilers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:22 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
When Eberle was on the PK IIRC he was on for the tail end of the PK so that would be a reason why they weren't first over the boards.
uh, Eberle normally does not kill penalty very much and he did not kill penalty in the 3rd today except for a short 45 sec with 1.5 min left in the 3rd when the score was 6-3. You might have mistaken #54 for #14, that was VV.

I don't think you really watched the game closely...

Watched in on PVR again, RNH/Eberle was 2nd line off the board in the 3rd coming on at around 19:00, did not play again until 13:19 due to the 2 penalties and a long Gagner/Hemsky shift, but RNH/Eberle shift lasted 30 sec and Renney went back to 4 line rotation, but i guess you missed that too.

I am not a Renney basher, but it's just weird why they would do it for Gagner when he had the multiple points going rotating him every 2nd shift, but he wouldn't do it for RNH & Eberle today.

Last edited by AK Dandyman: 03-25-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
cpnfantstk

Didn't have a chance to listen to the game. I noticed in penalty summary that Omark hooked Nash which resulted in a Penalty Shot. I bet he was benched the rest of the game. Am I right?

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
dixs35

Quote:
uh, Eberle normally does not kill penalty and he did not kill penalty in the 3rd today. You might have mistaken #54 for #14, that was VV.

I don't think you really watched the game closely...

Watched in on PVR again, RNH/Eberle was 2nd line off the board in the 3rd coming on at around 19:00, did not play again until 13:19 due to the 2 penalties, but the shift lasted 30 sec and Renney went back to 4 line rotation, but i guess you missed that too.

I am not a Renney basher, but it's just weird why they would do it for Gagner when he had the multiple points going rotating him every 2nd shift, but he wouldn't do it for RNH & Eberle today.
Yes I'm aware that Eberle doesn't normally PK but he has been for the last couple of games. NHL site has Eberle on for 40sec of PK in the 3rd. To the four line rotation in the 3rd what coach wouldn't run four lines when you have a 3 goal lead? I also don't mind the fact that Renney was giving the 4th line some garbage minutes in the 3rd, I mean its not like there were guys taking runs at RNH during the game. Or did we miss that? Why would you risk it when the game is already won?

Old
03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

I think a Murray-Petry combo sounds fantastic. What if someone passes Grigs at 2nd, do we take him at third

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
I think a Murray-Petry combo sounds fantastic. What if someone passes Grigs at 2nd, do we take him at third
Hell yeah!

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
Didn't have a chance to listen to the game. I noticed in penalty summary that Omark hooked Nash which resulted in a Penalty Shot. I bet he was benched the rest of the game. Am I right?
The replay showed pretty conclusively that it was Belanger that hooked Nash, although Omark gave him a late slash for good measure.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:50 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
The replay showed pretty conclusively that it was Belanger that hooked Nash, although Omark gave him a late slash for good measure.
Ok thanks for that. Omark probably got blamed for both..lol

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote