HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The impact of the quebec nordiques on the montreal canadiens

Old
03-25-2012, 05:56 PM
YEMELIN74

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
The impact of the quebec nordiques on the montreal canadiens

With the arena now a done deal with Quebecor and Bill Daly comments this week on the nordiques and coyotes many people beleive that the nordiques will be back in the nhl in October.
I have been thinking about the impact of the return of the nordiques on the habs. First of all i am pretty sure that Molson doesnt want the nordiques to be back in the nhl because he would lose revenues and the fans he gained when the nordiques left. Personally i think that it would be a good thing for the canadiens fans because i am pretty sure that Molson would not tolerate the nordiques to finish infront of his team at the end of the year, so i think that this would also force the canadiens to sign better free agents and hire a better coach/gm.

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:04 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
I think I'll play my copy of the good Friday game and reminisce on the rivalry.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
pachorella

yeah "if" the nordiques are back by October, it will have a huge impact on the habs, I always believed in the hockey local theory that says the habs wont win the stanley cup before the nordiques are back, it removes a lot of pressure, the lens of the microscope becomes smaller with another team in the province. The quebec francophone hockey media will have another thing to get scoops about.Financially, i disagree, Owners must not be sad about it though they would loose some ex-nordiques fans but rivals like quebec means cash also.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
DAChampion

I presume the Nordiques would not end up in the Western Pacific division, so where would they end up?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
It will rid us of some bandwagon fans who can go back to rooting for their team.

It will bring back a great rivalry.

I don't believe Molson will lose too much profits.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
**** 'em.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
YEMELIN74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
**** 'em.
Nice arguments

Old
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
With the arena now a done deal with Quebecor and Bill Daly comments this week on the nordiques and coyotes many people beleive that the nordiques will be back in the nhl in October.
I have been thinking about the impact of the return of the nordiques on the habs. First of all i am pretty sure that Molson doesnt want the nordiques to be back in the nhl because he would lose revenues and the fans he gained when the nordiques left. Personally i think that it would be a good thing for the canadiens fans because i am pretty sure that Molson would not tolerate the nordiques to finish infront of his team at the end of the year, so i think that this would also force the canadiens to sign better free agents and hire a better coach/gm.
What did Bill Daily said about it?

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Et le But

Would be the best thing that can happen to the Habs.

The ownership will have to be more ambitious, as they no longer would have a monopoly over the Quebec market. The loss of the Nords hurt IMO.

Also no longer having to be Quebec's team would remove a lot of unnecessary pressure, allowing them to focus on results, the pressure that matters. The politics will not go away, the Nordiques will try to market themselves as the team of true Quebec nationalists or whatever nonsense, but the Habs can go back to representing Montreal and history, and not all of French Canada.

I can't wait for those ******** to return.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Trade Darche to them for their 1st round pick + prospects

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
YEMELIN74

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
What did Bill Daily said about it?
He said that the possibility of phoenix being relocated was a strong possibility, he also said that a team could play in the old colisee for a few seasons and he finally said that seattle interest was nothing compared to quebec and that seattle was only going to have a team in the future not next season

Old
03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Trade Darche to them for their 1st round pick + prospects
Honestly, I know people won't like it, but if we draft a C, I wonder if we could trade them Deharnais for a good prospect for 1st round pick.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Nordique did so well in the past that they had to move to Denver. Geoff Molson is young enough to see Nordique II move to Seattle or Portland in his lifetime.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
YEMELIN74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Nordique did so well in the past that they had to move to Denver. Geoff Molson is young enough to see Nordique II move to Seattle or Portland in his lifetime.
The reason why the nordiques left was because they could they could not get a new building... today it has been confirmed that they will get a new one

Old
03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

For the rivalry it will be fantastic.

For me, I don't know. I've been a Hab all my life, even when the Nords were there I was a Hab. But bringing back the Nords would be such an event, i'm loving everything that is happening with them, the first 100% percent Quebecois owner running a hockey club. I cannot wait everything that will happen with them, who are they gonna hire, wich player they will try to bring, etc...I've been excited by everything that has happened with the Jets, they are now my favorite #2 team and I bought a Jets jersey and with the Nords it would be that but a thousand folds.

I don't think i'll ever leave the Habs, though. I think i'm gonna have two favorites, basically.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:24 PM
blueinmtl

Return of the scum, bring 'em.

Actually as noted above will possibly shake the Habs out of their gross complacency. If they are decent (& if it is Phoenix that is a decent team already), fans will turn to them, especially younger ones looking for success stories to follow.

& of course the blood will boil again. I'm sure they'll be in our division and anyone contemplating supporting both teams will be choosing pretty quickly.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MarkovsKnee

I'm not worried about Molson & if Peladeau is owner of the team then he certainly has deep pockets, but I also think this could be a 10-12 year thing & then they're on the move again.

But then I think the same about Winnipeg. Both are very small communities that will find it hard to attract free agents (think Bryzgalov). Hopefully, the politics that surrounded both these franchises when they last played together also doesn't rear its ugly head, but that also seems unlikely.

It's a changed NHL from the last time the Nords were here.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Kriss E

I had this discussion with some friends before.
Personally, I don't think it will affect the Habs all that much.

If you live in Qc, then perhaps. I used to be a fan of the Nordiques as a young kid, because of Joe Sakic. But those days are long gone, I'd have no reason to cheer for Qc.
I think it's the same for many people.
The fans Mtl gained that lived in Qc, sure, they'll go back to cheering for their local team, and there will always be bandwagon fans. But generally speaking, I don't think it will affect Mtl all that much.

And I think it will force Mtl to be a lot more proactive and seriously focus on bringing in quality.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Ginu

Hopefully they take the language issue with them and we can finally focus on hockey.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
He said that the possibility of phoenix being relocated was a strong possibility, he also said that a team could play in the old colisee for a few seasons and he finally said that seattle interest was nothing compared to quebec and that seattle was only going to have a team in the future not next season
Thanks, that's quite interesting.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:08 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Montreal would lose a lot of bandwagon fans and fake fans (Nordiques fans that switched to Montreal) if the Nords came back. Would be good for Montreal.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Molson already said he is ready do everything he can to help a team to return to Quebec and rightly so. Having a team back in Nordiques will respark a rivalry that will make hockey more relevant in the province of Quebec than it ever was before. Rivalries = CASH $

But you are definitely right about Molson not tolerating the Nords being better than the Habs. That was the case throughout the 80s and the early 90s. Hockey will be fun again, trust me!

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
BobLoblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
For the rivalry it will be fantastic.

For me, I don't know. I've been a Hab all my life, even when the Nords were there I was a Hab. But bringing back the Nords would be such an event, i'm loving everything that is happening with them, the first 100% percent Quebecois owner running a hockey club. I cannot wait everything that will happen with them, who are they gonna hire, wich player they will try to bring, etc...I've been excited by everything that has happened with the Jets, they are now my favorite #2 team and I bought a Jets jersey and with the Nords it would be that but a thousand folds.

I don't think i'll ever leave the Habs, though. I think i'm gonna have two favorites, basically.
First Quebecois owner running a hockey club? What about Molson, the owner of... the Montreal Canadiens??

BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:45 PM
EmelinHipCheck

They're building an arena that finishes in 2015, so i'm guessing if they come back next year, they'll play at the Colisée ?

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
coolasprICE

This is Molson's nightmare. He stands to lose millions.

If he was smart, he'd send Bettman a few briefcases full of polymer 100's

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote