Reilly Smith signed to ELC, assigned to Dallas

Old
03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Sure he can. Turco can't play because he was a free agent. That rule is designed to stop situations where players sit out most of the season (think Niedermayer/Selanne) and then a club signs them late to load up just for the playoffs and get around what their cap hits would be otherwise.
Makes sense.

Good deal then.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Mark on ESPN just confirmed he can play in the postseason as well.

And this is from GMJN via Mark's Twitter:

Quote:
GM Joe Nieuwendyk on Reilly Smith: "I think he can help our hockey club."
He's Canadian and probably doesn't have a work visa yet.

Quote:
When Reilly Smith plays his first game with the Stars is still up in the air. There are some immigration issues to sort through.
And Chiasson is going to Texas

Quote:
Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk said he expects prospect Alex Chiasson to join the Texas Stars later this week.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Wow the future is coming at full blast. Welcome to the new Dallas era.

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:31 PM
BigG44

Ribeiro had visa issues when he came to Dallas ... his first time to play for an American club.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
BigG44

This doesn't give a time frame:

Quote:
The good news is Peter Forsberg said he's feeling so good on the ice that he conceivably could have played against the Phoenix Coyotes here Monday.

The bad news is, even if he wanted to, he couldn't.

After signing a contract to play for the Colorado Avalanche over the weekend, Forsberg now has to enter the United States as a worker rather that a visitor. That means he has to leave -- perhaps as early as Monday -- and obtain the proper immigration and work-visa paperwork before resuming his NHL career with the Avalanche.

"You know, I really don't know what's going to happen," Forsberg said. "I know I have to do it. I know they're working on it and hopefully will get it done as soon as possible. I don't know the specifics.

"But I brought my passport. I know I'm going to a different country, that's all."

Old
03-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Bennrocks

So... Heika thinks that Reilly is going to be in the top 6 along with Sturm and Stepneski

He also says not to expect him to play tomorrow

Link

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Just want to say that I disagree with what the Stars are doing here.

It has nothing to do with R. Smith, who I believe the Stars have correctly identified as the most NHL-ready of their top-tier prospects. If anyone can make this worthwhile, it's him.

But this is the culmination of not addressing the problem of a lack of top-6 fowards during both the offseason and at the deadline. Even if you assumed that Morrow was going to continue to be his usual self this season we were still lacking at least one top-6 winger from the get-go. And then Joe once again straddled the line of neither coming nor going at the trade deadline. So here we are and we're going to burn an ELC year to try to fix the long-festering problem. It might work, it might help the team right now, sure. But I don't think this is the way you want to be operating in the grand scheme of things.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Just want to say that I disagree with what the Stars are doing here.

It has nothing to do with R. Smith, who I believe the Stars have correctly identified as the most NHL-ready of their top-tier prospects. If anyone can make this worthwhile, it's him.

But this is the culmination of not addressing the problem of a lack of top-6 fowards during both the offseason and at the deadline. Even if you assumed that Morrow was going to continue to be his usual self this season we were still lacking at least one top-6 winger from the get-go. And then Joe once again straddled the line of neither coming nor going at the trade deadline. So here we are and we're going to burn an ELC year to try to fix the long-festering problem. It might work, it might help the team right now, sure. But I don't think this is the way you want to be operating in the grand scheme of things.
What he's doing isn't without precedent. From Heika's article it sounds like Joe sees himself in Reilly. Joe did quite well in a very similar situation and obviously believes Reilly can help us do even better in the playoffs.

I like the move. If it gets us through the first round its well worth it.

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I too think its not worth burning a year of the ELC. It was a different era when Joe came to Calgary from Cornell, a prospect's contract status wasn't as much of a resource as it is now. It does show how far we've come though as an organization, that they'd choose to make the lineup better despite having to pay more later. Glad we're finally able to make decisions like that.

Quotes from Joe:

Quote:
``We put a lot of thought into this, and we believe he's ready,'' said Nieuwendyk, who himself went from Cornell to the Calgary Flames' roster back in 1987. ``It's a big jump, and it's a challenge, but other players have done it recently, and we believe Reilly is the type of player who can do it, too.''
Quote:
``There's a lot to this decision,'' Nieuwendyk said. ``Can he make the adjustment, can he make the step up immediately? And then, do we have a need for a player like him on our team right now? We think he can, and we think we do have a need.''
That being said, if its going to happen, I really hope Heika's right and he's not being signed to play 8 minutes a night. That's a stupid waste of a roster spot, an ELC year, and resources. It'll be interesting to see if he can make the transition to a new team, new systems, and NHL speed/strength so quickly.

So while I'm not a total fan, I'm excited to see it happening. It's a fun time to be a fan. At the start of this year could you guys imagine that 5 months later we'd have:

-A new owner
-Larsen, Bachman, Vincour, and Reily Smith on the playoff roster.
-Chiasson, A. Smith, and Campbell in Texas
-A chance to win the Division
-Ryder potentially setting the first year scoring record.

Lots of exciting changes.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
It does show how far we've come though as an organization, that they'd choose to make the lineup better despite having to pay more later. Glad we're finally able to make decisions like that.
This is where I agree with you and disagree with those who see this as a panic move, or too short-sighted. This is the type of thing that likely only happens if the team has an owner. Under the circumstances of a year ago I doubt this gets ok'd by the NHL because of the lost ELC year. I know we all like to keep a close eye on things concerning this team and organization but honestly, we're not the pencil-pushers who are going to have to figure out the budget in the next few years. In the big scheme of things this isn't that big of a deal or really even of a gamble IMO. Is it a gamble? Yes. Is it a monster one? It's a minor one at most.

Just as I mentioned in the prospects thread, I see the lost ELC year as a potential positive to come out of this. It burns one cheap year but could keep his cost down in two years compared to what he may cost in three.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Not a fan of this move but he damn well better play more than 10 minutes or this is a waste. How does this work from a team control standpoint? I know it burns a cheap year but is player service time like in baseball with a set amount of years before reaching FA? What exactly does 7 games do to the amount of time he is a RFA?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
BigG44

I couldn't think of a single example of a drafted player other than Schwartz doing this, and I really had no idea the Dallas GM made the jump from NCAA to pros after his college season to a playoff team. I knew there had to be other examples, but I didn't realize there was one in the organization.

I just thought that was interesting.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Not a fan of this move but he damn well better play more than 10 minutes or this is a waste. How does this work from a team control standpoint? I know it burns a cheap year but is player service time like in baseball with a set amount of years before reaching FA? What exactly does 7 games do to the amount of time he is a RFA?
That question is actually impossible to answer. Based on the old CBA it does NOT effect the number of years the team controls him at all. No one can really say with certainty if the new CBA will stay the same or change the way RFA and UFA is define.

Last edited by BigG44: 03-25-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added "NOT"
Old
03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
BigG44

2 things ... that should have said does NOT.

... and it's 7 accrued season to be a UFA or 27 years of age as of June 30. An accrued season is 40 games in the regular season.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I don't think playing him this year would knock him into UFA any sooner than holding off until next year. Here are the two rules that govern when players are eligible for UFA status.

Quote:
Group 3 free agents: Players who have reached age 27, or have 7 accrued years of NHL experience, whose contracts have expired

Group 6 free agents (must be elected by the player): Players who have reached age 25, who have 3 accrued years of professional experience (that is, beyond junior or collegiate hockey), and whose contracts have expired, but have played less than:

80 NHL games played for forwards and defensemen.
28 NHL games played for goaltenders.
Reilly Smith is an April Fools baby (turns 21 in a week), so he would not turn 27, at least in terms of his contract, until his seventh year of "accrued" NHL contract status.

ETA: Biggie and I were answering at the same time, and he also nailed the point that the CBA is liable to change this summer.

Kritter471 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
catters078

Why did the title chaneg to add "shuns Glennie"?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I don't think playing him this year would knock him into UFA any sooner than holding off until next year. Here are the two rules that govern when players are eligible for UFA status.

Reilly Smith is an April Fools baby (turns 21 in a week), so he would not turn 27, at least in terms of his contract, until his eighth year of NHL contract status.

ETA: Biggie and I were answering at the same time, and he also nailed the point that the CBA is liable to change this summer.
In terms of his contract, he is 20 years old, but that doesn't have any impact on UFA status. For a contract, it's your age on September 15th (err ... maybe 25th) of that season. Reilly was 20.

Age for free agency is defined on June 30th. So yeah ... no impact on this CBA which expires on September 15th of next season.

So as long as they don't change the definition of "Accrued Season" in the next CBA, this move should have zero impact on the number of years Dallas controls him as a RFA.

If they get cute, lower the number, and include playoff games, he might earn an accrued year. I have not heard anyone mention an issue with that definition though.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
BigG44

I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with ... either Imperial Buffalo or Buffaloed ... something like that, but his real name is Richard McCleary. He was one of the first guys to breakdown the 2005 CBA for fans, and he was the creator of NHLscap. He now contributes to CapGeek occasionally.

Anyway, I remembered he had a proposed new CBA. He proposes no changes to the definition of accrued season or the terms of becoming a Group 3 UFA (7 accrued seasons or 27 years old).

He does propose a change to Group 6 UFA. Any player who is 24 years old with 4 professional seasons becomes an UFA if they haven't played 80 NHL games (28 for goalies). I don't remember the exact definition of professional, but I don't think ECHL games count. It's basically AHL and European leagues IIRC.

For a guy like Colton Sceviour, that would be great news. Instead of having to wait until he was 25, he'd become a UFA a year sooner. Since it doesn't seem like he'll play another NHL game this year based on the number of guys already on Dallas' roster (with the addition of Smith ... they have 4 extra healthy forwards), Sceviour would have to play 79 games next year to not become an UFA.

Under the current season, he'd have to play 79 in the next 2 seasons which is probably more realistic.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Kritter471

According to the things I found, age does affect UFA status as all players who are 27 as of Sept. whatever are UFAs for that upcoming season. But you can become a UFA before that if you have the seven accrued seasons, which as you mentioned, is something like 40 games played.

So the way the Star could have "lost a year" off Reilly's status was if he played seven "accrued" seasons but was 26 on Sept. whatever of the next season. Even though he wouldn't be 27 yet, he'd still be a UFA because of the seven seasons thing. However, that doesn't matter because even if this year did count as an accrued season, his eighth year (assuming he plays every season) would be the year he's 27, so he'd be a UFA either way.

But it's all an academic discussion because there's no way he's playing 40 games this year regardless and the CBA may very well change things.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
Why did the title chaneg to add "shuns Glennie"?
I'm not sure, exactly.

Came in here to figure out what the deal was.

Edited.

03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
According to the things I found, age does affect UFA status as all players who are 27 as of Sept. whatever are UFAs for that upcoming season. But you can become a UFA before that if you have the seven accrued seasons, which as you mentioned, is something like 40 games played.

So the way the Star could have "lost a year" off Reilly's status was if he played seven "accrued" seasons but was 26 on Sept. whatever of the next season. Even though he wouldn't be 27 yet, he'd still be a UFA because of the seven seasons thing. However, that doesn't matter because even if this year did count as an accrued season, his eighth year (assuming he plays every season) would be the year he's 27, so he'd be a UFA either way.

But it's all an academic discussion because there's no way he's playing 40 games this year regardless and the CBA may very well change things.
I just got done double checking the CBA ... I agree it's dumb age is defined several ways, but for free agency and UFA status it is June 30th.

That September 15th deadline is for age in regards to number of years on an ELC ... is a player eligible for the 35+ contract ... things like that.

That said ... accrued seasons and age have nothing to so with one another ... it's a whichever comes first scenario.

If he's 27 years old before accruing 7 seasons (which he will be), he's an UFA at 27. Reilly's presumed first accrued season will be next year when he turns 22. He'll have 6 accrued seasons when he is 27 ... again assuming he's playing/on the active roster (injured) for 40 games in a season.

Take Crosby for example ... I am going out on a limb because I'm not sure of his exact birthday. He started his NHL at 18 years old, but he turned 19 by the end of that season (assuming his birthday was before June 30). Crosby would have 7 accrued seasons and become an UFA at age 25.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:47 PM
BigG44

Just as a for instance .... Jamie Benn's July birthday means he becomes an UFA at 26 years old. He'll turn 27 before the season starts, but his birthday is after June 30th. Had he played a little over half the year in the AHL, Dallas would have controlled him extra year.

The 7 accrued season he has at that point ... which is a reasonable assumption since he'll either be playing those games or hurt and on the active roster ... make him a UFA.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Kritter471

We're agreeing with each other here.

HF was asking "I know it burns a cheap year but is player service time like in baseball with a set amount of years before reaching FA? What exactly does 7 games do to the amount of time he is a RFA?"

For some players, like Crosby as you mentioned, starting in the league early does affect the amount of time until he's a UFA because he'll reach the games-played trigger before the year trigger.

But it won't for Smith because even if this year did count as an accrued year (which it doesn't), the season he's 27 and the season he'd have at least 7 accrued years would come in the same year.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
BigG44

Cool ... I re-read it, and it was your 27 as of September note that threw me ... everything else we did agree on.

Since it's impossible for this to be an accrued season .. you're just saying if it wasn't, he'd reach 7 seasons and 27 years old at the same time.

But that's only true if you're working with the correct date of age which is June 30th and not September 15. Which ... based on your comment you knew that I guess you just typed September.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
BigG44

I can't remember if this quote was in Heika's, but this is from Mark (ESPN):

Quote:
“I can look back on my own experience (coming out of Cornell), when I joined the Calgary Flames for the last nine games of the season. It was a very valuable experience for me. It was one of the important things in my career. I have a past history with that. That has a lot to do with it.
That was one of the important moments in his hall of fame career is what stuck out to me.