HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames @ Dallas Stars, Noon on SNET-W & The Fan 960 - Calgary Flames edition

Old
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I just struggle to have any faith in a kid who comes into camp out of shape. He doesn't have the desire level. Wahl is injury riddled. I really like some of the kids we have in the whl though. Ferland in particular. He has the size and shot to translate well in the pros. Bill Arnold and Gaudreau have had good years too.
It is the kid's first pro-camp. Give him a break. His coaches have done nothing but rave about his commitment to the game since he showed up overweight. It isn't like he's the new Dustin Penner or anything. He came back, worked his ass off and got into the coach's good grace because of that commitment. He'll be a good one if his body holds up and get gets an opportunity.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
It is the kid's first pro-camp. Give him a break. His coaches have done nothing but rave about his commitment to the game since he showed up overweight. It isn't like he's the new Dustin Penner or anything. He came back, worked his ass off and got into the coach's good grace because of that commitment. He'll be a good one if his body holds up and get gets an opportunity.
I disagree with that, but each to his own. He's not fast, has no size and his game translates poorly to the pros IMO. I think he's a future borderline AHLer, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
I disagree with that, but each to his own. He's not fast, has no size and his game translates poorly to the pros IMO. I think he's a future borderline AHLer, but I hope he proves me wrong.
He's already a borderline AHLer...and has shown a dramatic improvement in his production as the season has progressed.

He will be in tough to ever be a full time NHLer, but if continues to grow I think he may be able to adapt his game to one day become a solid third line player. He's not a slow skater, and is by no means "small". Apparently he has been quite physical with Abbotsford as well.

I still have expectations for him becoming a contributor to this organization, whether that be playing a huge role in Abbotsford or fighting his way on to the big club is yet to be determined.

*Why is this even being discussed in a GDT? haha.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
I think you have him mistaken with someone else or you don't know anything about Howse's game. Howse's game is to use his speed and agility to get to the holes. That was what made him successful in Chilliwack and was the book on his when he was drafted. If there was a knock against him it was his consistency and lack of physical play, an aspect he has worked on over the season and earned praise from his coaches. His size shouldn't be an issue either. He's now 6'0 and 207 pounds. For comparison sake, Iginla is 6'1 and 207 pounds. I think you need give the guy a chance and wait and see him in camp this year.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I think you have him mistaken with someone else or you don't know anything about Howse's game. Howse's game is to use his speed and agility to get to the holes. That was what made him successful in Chilliwack and was the book on his when he was drafted. If there was a knock against him it was his consistency and lack of physical play, an aspect he has worked on over the season and earned praise from his coaches. His size shouldn't be an issue either. He's now 6'0 and 207 pounds. For comparison sake, Iginla is 6'1 and 207 pounds. I think you need give the guy a chance and wait and see him in camp this year.
Howse has no speed whatsoever. You're dead wrong about him if you think he's fast, he's not tiny, but he's weak on the puck. Great shot, good hands, but if you think he's fast and strong you've never seen him play.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:00 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Howse has no speed whatsoever. You're dead wrong about him if you think he's fast, he's not tiny, but he's weak on the puck. Great shot, good hands, but if you think he's fast and strong you've never seen him play.
Didn't say he was a blur out there. I stated that he uses his speed efficiently. His scouting and talent analysis from his draft year says he has above average speed. So does his performance in the prospect camp the year he was drafted. You can crap all over the kid all you like, but I say give him another year or two. If a guy who skates as poorly as Kolanos can play for this team, anyone can. I have a feeling if Howse continues his growth the way he has this season he will be a mid-season call up next year like Neimsz did this year.