HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 77: Blues @ Coyotes 3-25-2012|6PM|(Pressing Our Luck Edition)

Old
03-26-2012, 01:03 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Well, I just got back and I have to say, we need an upgrade at back up goalie. Even more, we need some skilled forwards. We won't go past 5 games into the playoffs with that kind of power play. Yea, Elliot is ungodly good, but he wasn't even tested except for about 3 shots.
The hell?! You were at the game and didn't support bargating 2012?!!?! #fail

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:09 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

The Yotes needed score at least twice in the first period with all the pp attempts.......they didn't.......STL scored early second and that was that. The Captain now needs to carry this team on his back and into the playoffs.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:26 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
The Yotes needed score at least twice in the first period with all the pp attempts.......they didn't.......STL scored early second and that was that. The Captain now needs to carry this team on his back and into the playoffs.
Our PP is terrible, and we were playing a great defensive team tonight. I wasn't surprised we didn't capitalize on the PP.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:03 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I actually blame this loss on Awfulwaffle and Doaner. This should be the last game they ever attend together.
Lol. . It was fun none the less.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:54 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of our 3-game stint without Doan. When he was first out, I thought oh *****, rotten timing. And then Vrbata as well? (not that he's scored in recent memory).

So getting a win (from behind) and a tie and a loss? 3 out of 6 possible points? That's OK with me. I think the first game they were all full of "do it for the captain!" The second, they were still focused on that, but then by the third they had kind of run out of gas. There's only so many times you can give your all for the cause before you come up short.

I'm looking forward to meeting the team tomorrow night, then seeing them play on Thursday, well-rested and in with their noble captain at the helm.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Scottyb123

Once it was 3-0 I was all for the shutout. Elliott's shutout propelled me into my fantasy leage finals!!

I just hope the yotes can recover and get into the playoffs now!

Scottyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
The hell?! You were at the game and didn't support bargating 2012?!!?! #fail
eh? When I bring my granddaughter I don't even order a beer at the game. Different stage of life, I suppose.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOTC View Post
I hope this is the last time I ever see lolbrabra step foot on the ice wearing a Coyotes uniform.
AMEN to that

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

That was a total team loss but LOLBarbera is comically bad at his job. He's NEVER in the right spot, which is hard to do when you are as big as him. I've never seen a goalie even in juniors or college struggle so OBVIOUSLY to track the puck. I mean, I've seen plenty of bad goalies who have struggled mightily, but ive never really felt the urge to laugh out loud at them. You can't help it with LOLBarbera. He's like a comedian playing the part of a bad goalie. If a cartoonist were going to make an animation of a bad ice hockey goalie, it'd look like LOLBarbera. He's like Disneys Goofy on ice.

03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quick look at the stats show Smith grabbing 62% of points and LOL managing 24% of points.

62% of points would good for 8th best in the nhl. We'd have the division totally locked up.

I swear, Jason LaBarbera is the worst player in the NHL. I really mean that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

I will be very interested to see who gets the Wild after the Blues game to end the year. Well if they are out of it then I wont be that interested....

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
kihekah19

A roster depleted and tired Coyote team was no match for the Blues last night. Yeah, Labarbara let in two soft ones (first one is all that mattered), but the combination of skill and a Hitchcock system was much more than the boys could handle on a back to back.

The boys actually played a good (pp. excluded) game, had Korpikoski scored early in the third the outcome may have been different. Hell, had the Blues not scored on the pp. off the Hanzal penalty, it could have been different.

It could have been different... DESPITE OUR ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC POWERPLAY!

The real concern is moving forward. Obtaining eight out of a possible ten points will be the challenge of challenges.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I swear, Jason LaBarbera is the worst player in the NHL. I really mean that.
I hope they buy him out. His record has been abysmal in a season in which his team will need every last point it can get to make the postseason. There has to be a better backup out there.

Question for the statistically-inclined: if you take away the relief appearances and count only his starts, what happens to his season save percentage and GAA?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
doaner

With our next game not until the 29th, why was Babar even playing? Tip has sum splanin to do!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
With our next game not until the 29th, why was Babar even playing? Tip has sum splanin to do!
Smith hasn't played at a top level in recent weeks. He has a good game followed by several mediocre efforts. Smith needed 4 days off and let's face it last nights game was a no win situation considering our squad played the night before in San Jose and 2 of our top 3 scorers were out of the lineup. I'm floored that Phoenix would have to play in back to backs in such a manner. San Jose arena is an hour from the airport. Did the Coyotes get in before 3 AM? I doubt it.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
knowsthegame

If we make the playoffs and Smitty gets injured, we are done with LOLBarbs. He really does suck.
This is a very vulnerable positon we are in.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
azsharkfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
San Jose arena is an hour from the airport. Did the Coyotes get in before 3 AM? I doubt it.
From the bus ride to boarding the plane, it is 15 minutes max from HP to San Jose Airport. They were in the air within an hour of the game ending and home less than two hours later.

azsharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:28 PM
pfp

Pile onto Labarbara all you want but lets face it if they had just an average PP (this season) they wouldn't be looking at a steep uphill climb into the last spot. If by some miracle they do make it this will also be a big reason they won't make it out of the first round.

pfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
Pile onto Labarbara all you want but lets face it if they had just an average PP (this season) they wouldn't be looking at a steep uphill climb into the last spot. If by some miracle they do make it this will also be a big reason they won't make it out of the first round.
You're right. A merely average PP would likely have put us at the top of the division. That said, a merely average backup who won more than 3 starts on the season would also likely put us at the top of the division. And it's easier to find an upgrade at backup goaltender than it is to fix a power play.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
It really is a number of things:
1. 3-5 points lost by last second goals from Dallas (twice) and the Rangers
2. Horrible PP conversion (we are okay at moving the puck around, we either can't bring it into the zone, or we don't finish and score)
3. Injuries
4. Inconsistent play
5. Bad shootout record
6. LaBarbera

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
You're right. A merely average PP would likely have put us at the top of the division. That said, a merely average backup who won more than 3 starts on the season would also likely put us at the top of the division. And it's easier to find an upgrade at backup goaltender than it is to fix a power play.
Rundblad needs to get his defensive game in order to make the jump to the NHL. He will help our PP considerably.

I wish they would bring back the backdoor play with Yandle that worked so well the last couple of seasons.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
3 games in 4 nights - the risk of injury is just too great to play your number 1 guy.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
LaBarbera sucks, but he did not cost us last nights game.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

When was the last time we won with a AP GDT?

Edit: Lost the last 3. Sorry AP

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of our 3-game stint without Doan. When he was first out, I thought oh *****, rotten timing. And then Vrbata as well? (not that he's scored in recent memory).

So getting a win (from behind) and a tie and a loss? 3 out of 6 possible points? That's OK with me. I think the first game they were all full of "do it for the captain!" The second, they were still focused on that, but then by the third they had kind of run out of gas. There's only so many times you can give your all for the cause before you come up short.

I'm looking forward to meeting the team tomorrow night, then seeing them play on Thursday, well-rested and in with their noble captain at the helm.
good post, but satisfied is probably a better word than happy. The win was not a come from behind...up 3-0 and held on for a 3-2 win. Add in the fact they got the win in regulation against the Avs (a team they ARE competing against for a playoff spot); a point in San Jose in a game which quite frankly they were awful (possibly worse than this game); and, lost in regulation against a team they ARE NOT competing against for a playoff spot.

Boy, the Blues are boring....that style of play should be outlawed

I'm sure Blues fans were not bored at all, good for them, and good for the team and coaches.

The only thing more boring than the game tonight is the same re-hashed criticism of a team and certain players, with absolutely no recognition that there are two teams playing and just maybe the other team deserves some credit for making your team look so bad....

That's not pointed at this thread, or this team's fans. It's pretty much the same thing with every team's fanbase. Even the hardcore Blues fan next to me at the game who kept on commenting during the 1st period on how poorly the Blues were executing...as if the Coyotes weren't even on the ice.

Last edited by Devils Advocate: 03-26-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote