HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Construction of Our Defense

Old
03-26-2012, 07:53 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
The Construction of Our Defense

Our defensive corps, as it is today, was constructed from 2005 to the present. It took a long time, but was well worth the wait. We currently have four, count 'em, four, first round picks and two all stars in our top 3 pairings.

What's all the more amazing is that we still have another 1st rounder in McIlrath in the system.Now we did strike out in 2006 on Sanguinetti, but among first round D-men he was our sole blemish.
Our defense is young and filled with All-Star and even potential gold medal caliber D-men. Our future on the blue line is looking quite bright.

What are your thoughts on how we constructed our defense? Do you think we should have done anything differently?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:28 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
I really hope Staal gets back to his form from the last couple of years and Sauer gets back healthy. With Erixon there would be no weak links or fringe NHL players on the roster. I think if Lundqvist plays well next year we would even more seriously than this year challenge for the Jennings. Only thing is, Lundqvist has at least 1 month in every year he's played where it doesn't matter how good the D he is not very good.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
irishlaxburger2

Turning into a fantastic group, but we still desperately need someone/anyone that can shoot the puck from the point.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

We do have a fantastic group of defenseman. I really begin to wonder if Bickel is here to stay for a while? He has played great. He has had some bumps in the road as all NHL rookies do at some point, but he adds an element of toughness on the Rangers blueline that we have not seen since (gulp) Dale Purinton.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:03 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Bickel is an ideal 6th/7th guy, I think. Honestly I'd keep looking into the 4th line winger thing too. If someone gets hurt tomorrow, who is the next call up? Newbury? Do we put Scott in? Bickel is probably around the same ballpark as those 2 guys when it comes to 4th line wingers.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

I like Bickel as well, hope we continue to keep him around even if later down the road he becomes a healthy scratch due to our depth we will have. Love his physicality, the fact he can play some forward, and he hasn't be bad by any means

Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Bickel gets a lot of undeserved criticism, which happens because he gets a little too much ice time. That won't be an issue for much longer however with Erixon developing nicely and Staal being bound regain his old form next season.

He's a fantastic 6th defenseman and brings great toughness. Very good fighter and a guy you want in your line up against teams like Boston and Philly in the playoffs.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Our defensive corps, as it is today, was constructed from 2005 to the present. It took a long time, but was well worth the wait. We currently have four, count 'em, four, first round picks and two all stars in our top 3 pairings.

What's all the more amazing is that we still have another 1st rounder in McIlrath in the system.Now we did strike out in 2006 on Sanguinetti, but among first round D-men he was our sole blemish.
Our defense is young and filled with All-Star and even potential gold medal caliber D-men. Our future on the blue line is looking quite bright.

What are your thoughts on how we constructed our defense? Do you think we should have done anything differently?
No arguments or complaints from me on how our defense has been constructed during that period of time. The only issue I have per say is that we have a plethora of left side defensemen(Staal, McD, MDZ and Tim) who are for all intents and purposes very similar in the type of games they play. Sure there are subtle differences between the above four(4) players but going forward, we really need to hang on to McIIrath and give him ever opportunity to improve his skills and eventually make the team because he is the one defenseman(prospect or otherwise) we have who brings variables to the table that none of our present defensemen possess.

A healthy Sauer for next year will also help us out tremendously.

I think we have done an excellent job building our defense core and so I'm content with how we've drafted and, equally as important, the manner in which they have been developed.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote