HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Montreal could have one more pro franchise which would you want?

View Poll Results: If Montreal could have one more pro franchise, which would you want?
NFL 56 38.89%
MLB 68 47.22%
NBA 16 11.11%
other (name it) 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2012, 09:27 AM
  #51
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,930
vCash: 500
I voted NFL cause my first choice isnt on the list.

NFL or a 2nd NHL team.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  #52
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I voted NFL cause my first choice isnt on the list.

NFL or a 2nd NHL team.
A second NHL team would be terrible in my opinion. Isn't it enough that the Nordiques might come back? I hope they do honestly, because there are some double agents among us (not just the fans, media too). They will soon show their true colors.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
  #53
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
The NFL. No doubt but no way an NFL team would come to Canada.
maybe Toronto....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
  #54
Guy Germaine
Registered User
 
Guy Germaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
MLB with downtown stadium
This!!

Guy Germaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
  #55
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,019
vCash: 500
Hard to say which would benefit the city more financially, but MLB and NBA are the "smart money". Eighty games of visiting baseball players, or 40 of visiting basketball players, but huge TV/advertising deals either way.

Leave the NFL south of the border, and let Quebec have the next NHL team, imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:46 PM
  #56
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Lincoln, Nebraska has a better chance of getting an NFL franchise than Montreal and they aren't even in the running for one.

MLB with a park downtown, would be my choice.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
  #57
Haaabs
Registered User
 
Haaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Already a Washington Redskins fan so having a NFL team here would be hard. I'd stay loyal to my Skins and hope the Montreal team ends up in the AFC east. The NFL would work but it would crush the Alouettes.

I think Basketball would be the best team to have here. A lot of people are already fans of the sport, they just need a team to follow.

Baseball had its chance here. In its last years, the few people that went to the games went for two reasons: 1. The wave, 2. Hot dogs.

Soccer wouldn't work. People who love soccer follow European leagues and whatever team we'd have here wouldn't be enticing enough.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
  #58
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Already a Washington Redskins fan so having a NFL team here would be hard. I'd stay loyal to my Skins and hope the Montreal team ends up in the AFC east. The NFL would work but it would crush the Alouettes.

I think Basketball would be the best team to have here. A lot of people are already fans of the sport, they just need a team to follow.

Baseball had its chance here. In its last years, the few people that went to the games went for two reasons: 1. The wave, 2. Hot dogs.

Soccer wouldn't work. People who love soccer follow European leagues and whatever team we'd have here wouldn't be enticing enough.
Did you just wake up from hibernation?

NBA would have a hard time getting 10,000 people for the home opener and crowds of 4-5,000 wouldn't cut it.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:13 PM
  #59
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I'd have to go with NFL but followed closely by MLB because of the Expos nostalgia. No interest at all in the NBA or basketball in general.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
  #60
Haaabs
Registered User
 
Haaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Did you just wake up from hibernation?

NBA would have a hard time getting 10,000 people for the home opener and crowds of 4-5,000 wouldn't cut it.
Well, from what I've seen is that basketball courts are always packed in parks during the summer.

Yes, its the same for Soccer but since whatever team we have here wouldn't be in one of the Premiere leagues then I don't think people would be interested. Maybe I'm wrong though, I know the Impact had a very large crowd for the opener but I don't think they keep that number up.

Basically to me it comes down to the fact that a MTL basketball team would be in the NBA while a MTL soccer team would be in the MLS. I'm speaking from what my soccer fanatic friends say, but they don't give two ***** about the MLS ,to them its the league where rejects and good players go to retire and cash in. They follow the European leagues.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:20 PM
  #61
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Well, from what I've seen is that basketball courts are always packed in parks during the summer.

Yes, its the same for Soccer but since whatever team we have here wouldn't be in one of the Premiere leagues then I don't think people would be interested. Maybe I'm wrong though, I know the Impact had a very large crowd for the opener but I don't think they keep that number up.

Basically to me it comes down to the fact that a MTL basketball team would be in the NBA while a MTL soccer team would be in the MLS. I'm speaking from what my soccer fanatic friends say, but they don't give two ***** about the MLS ,to them its the league where rejects and good players go to retire and cash in. They follow the European leagues.
Of course the Impact won't have 50K per game, it was a one off game at the Big O they will now go back to Saputo Stadium and fill that up like they did at the lower level.

There is no real interest in basketball in Montreal. They have tried twice here with minor pro teams playing out of Verdun and they often were lucky to get 400-500 people in the stands. Both teams where gone within a season if I recall. I think the last one was called the Dragons.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
  #62
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む
 
Nakamura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
I loved the Expos but it would be very hard to be competitive in today's market. The NFL would be my choice even if it's held at the Big O.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:29 PM
  #63
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Of course the Impact won't have 50K per game, it was a one off game at the Big O they will now go back to Saputo Stadium and fill that up like they did at the lower level.

There is no real interest in basketball in Montreal. They have tried twice here with minor pro teams playing out of Verdun and they often were lucky to get 400-500 people in the stands. Both teams where gone within a season if I recall. I think the last one was called the Dragons.
those basketball teams you mentioned aren't nba teams. that is why nobody watches/supports it. remember last year when knicks/raps played at the bell? it was soldout. so i do think a mtl basketball team would work here. besides it will really put the city on the map.

i used to live in mtl. i know lots of basketball fans there. prolly 70% asians, 30% canadians/frenchies.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:31 PM
  #64
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,094
vCash: 500
Honestly, baseball's a dying sport. When was the last expansion team? The Dbacks in '98? The Expos and Twins were almost contracted. The Nationals don't really draw the crowds since moving to DC. It has it's roots in strong markets like NY, Bos, LA, Philly, but apart from that it's not really a growing sport (unless you count Asia).

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
  #65
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,219
vCash: 256
NFL no doubt about it

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
  #66
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
I'd love an NFL team.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
  #67
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,335
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
those basketball teams you mentioned aren't nba teams. that is why nobody watches/supports it. remember last year when knicks/raps played at the bell? it was soldout. so i do think a mtl basketball team would work here. besides it will really put the city on the map.

i used to live in mtl. i know lots of basketball fans there. prolly 70% asians, 30% canadians/frenchies.
So you think a one off game is indicative of a team being successful in Montreal on a permanent basis?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:31 PM
  #68
Claimed Off Waivers
Registered User
 
Claimed Off Waivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
NBA, no doubt.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  #69
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
So you think a one off game is indicative of a team being successful in Montreal on a permanent basis?
oh hell yeah! It was a NY vs Tor game and it was soldout. what if it was actually a montreal team playing out there? i think the city of montreal would support a basketball team as long as its an NBA team, not a team from verdun lol

but of course, they wouldnt get the same support like the habs, not even close.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
  #70
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
While the Expos would be a nice nostalgic thing, I don't see baseball being a viable business at that scale in Canada. However, football is surprisingly strong in Quebec, wether it's the CFL or even university ranks. I think the NFL would work well in Montreal.

However, I think you're ahead of the curve with a MLS franchise
my toughts exactly.

and the NFL as a business model, would be kinder to the smaller market here in montreal.

i voted expos because **** me i miss them, but it would never work. so NFL i guess...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
  #71
Padrino86
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
NFL for sure, no brainer.

Wouldn't hate having the expos back though for nostalgia, but I have to admit I'm not really a fan of the sport.

NBA just wouldn't work imo. The fanbase wouldn't be big enough, at least, I would be surprised if there was.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
  #72
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,519
vCash: 500
I really wish Montreal had an NHL team

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.