HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What game do you start Enroth?

View Poll Results: For which game would you start Enroth?
Washington (Away) 0 0%
Pittsburgh (Home) 10 16.39%
Toronto (Away) 13 21.31%
Toronto (Home) 13 21.31%
Philadelphia (Away) 0 0%
Boston (Away) 3 4.92%
None 20 32.79%
I'd give him more than one (state which below) 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
What game do you start Enroth?

With Ruff saying the other day that there's still a schedule for the goaltenders, and intimating that Jhonas will get another start, in which game would you start him if you were the decision-maker? Remaining schedule:

3/27 @ WAS
3/30 vs PIT
3/31 @ TOR
4/3 vs TOR
4/5 @ PHI
4/7 @ BOS

I don't think there's any way we see Enroth at Washington, or at Philly and Boston to close out the season, so I think we're down to the three options below. I made the first arguments, both ways, that came to mind for each game. Feel free to expound on those.

1) vs Pittsburgh on March 30

Why Enroth? Miller's career numbers against Pittsburgh are putrid: 5-9-3, 3.37 GAA, .881 SV%. Many believe Pittsburgh simply has Miller's number. Enroth in a small sample size of two starts has stopped 57 of 60 (.950) shots against Pittsburgh. The Pens are the hottest team in the league--and MAF hasn't lost in regulation since February 15--so you may lose anyways, but if you do at least you gave Miller a night off before the final four games. Also, this game is the first of a back-to-back.

Why Not Enroth? With only two home games remaining, you must field the best possible team to get those points at home. Miller may have knocked the Pittsburgh monkey off his back when he played very well against the Pens in a 6-2 victory on February 19. Also, with a possible 1st round series against the Pens looming on the horizon, you want Miller to be acclimated to Pittsburgh, especially getting the feel of playing against Crosby. And while MAF hasn't lost in regulation since February 15, Miller's lost only once in regulation since that date.

2) at Toronto on March 31

Why Enroth? This is the second of a back-to-back. If Miller plays against Washington and Pittsburgh, he'll have started 20 of the last 21 games, and played in 31 of the last 32 games (due to Enroth being pulled in Philly). And there's no better team than Toronto for Enroth to play left on the schedule.

Interesting stat: Despite great career numbers against Toronto, Miller has lost his last five starts in regulation at the Air Canada Centre. His last victory there came on December 21, 2009.

Why Not Enroth? Miller has sterling numbers vs Toronto in his career: 26-13-0, .926 SV%. Toronto has knocked off Buffalo in the ACC twice this year, so you may want to give this game to your top netminder. You may also believe that five straight regulation losses for Miller at the ACC is bound to correct itself, so why not here against the struggling Leafs?

3) vs Toronto on April 3

Why Enroth? If you ranked the remaining games from easiest to most difficult, most would rank this game as the easiest--relatively speaking, of course (that's for those who believe in jinxes). The logic would be that you'd still have a great shot at two points, and could give Miller a rest at the same time. How much rest? If you play Enroth here, Miller has almost five full days of rest between his March 31 start at Toronto and his April 5 start at Philly.

Why Not Enroth? If we're going to make the playoffs, this game is an absolute must-win considering the rest of the schedule. With that in mind, Miller has to be the starter here. Presently, Miller has not lost at home in regulation since Valentine's Day. Miller is 2-0-0 vs Toronto at FNC this year, and is 9-1-0 in his last 10 home starts vs Toronto, with a 2-1 loss last season as the only blemish. Given those numbers, you have Miller take care of business at home against the Leafs.

In what game would you start Enroth? (Poll question)

If different, in what game do you think Lindy will start Enroth?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

vCash: 500
I'd start him against the Pens. This will be toughest to win and I think Miller could use the rest to play better on the next day against the Leafs.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:02 AM
omglolnub

Yeah, I'd say just toss the Pittsburgh game into the wind and start Enroth in that one. The rest are winnable with Miller in net.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

If we beat Washington I'd give him the Pens game.
If we lose to Washington, he gets the 2nd Toronto game

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
punkr0x

I would start him against the Pens, it's a game we will lose anyway and Miller just doesn't seem to do well against them. The Boston game will probably be important for us but if it's not I hope Lindy can work Enroth in there as well. But with only one back to back to close out the schedule, I think Miller should be okay even if Lindy plays him every game.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Havok89

I play him against Pittsburgh. I don't expect a win in that game with either goalie, but Enroth has proven in the past he can step up and win big games while in the hunt for the playoffs.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

My choice : 3/30 vs PIT. That gives Miller 3 full days off before Toronto at the ACC, then the dive into the stretch.

Lindy Ruff's probable choice : August 13th in the Alumni game.

My prediction : Enroth doesn't get in unless the Sabres have 8th by more than 4 points. That seems unlikely, so Jonas keeps working the door.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:25 AM
HogtownSabresfan

How about none? If he starts, it means our season is over in Ruff's eyes

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
How about none? If he starts, it means our season is over in Ruff's eyes
Probably true here...

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Evgeni Giroux

None, plain and simple

unless we are eliminated or clinched

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

If he has to play, give him one of the Laffs games. We can't be "throwing" anything right now. And you guys do remember the last time we played PIT we blew them out, right? Every game is winnable and we need to treat them as such right now.

IMO Enroth should have his butt firmly stapled to the bench until we either clinch a playoff spot or are mathematically eliminated. We cannot afford to sacrifice a single point right now.

If we clinch before the last day of the season, then let Miller rest. If not, he needs to play every single game from here on out. It's that simple.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

None unless the last game of the year is meaningless and then he starts against the Bruins.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I'd start him against the Pens. This will be toughest to win and I think Miller could use the rest to play better on the next day against the Leafs.
I'm with you on that one. Get Miller away from a nemesis team (Pittsburgh) and have him fresh for a team he tends to dominate (Toronto)

03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
moltenlava26

All depends how the caps game plays out. Loss = never. Win gets him a possible start vs the leafs

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I would have played Enroth on Saturday, against a non-conference team that struggles on offense on a back-to-back?

But that's just me. I guess the road game against Toronto makes sense as it is a back-to-back.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I tend to think that if we didn't see him play Minnesota, we won't see him play anyone unless the outcome is irrelevant (ie, we've clinched or been eliminated). Remember, prior to the Wild game, Ruff also reminded the press that he had prepared a schedule for the week and would stick to it. It just so happened that the schedule was all Miller.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
bluetooth

wonder who we see in goal for the pens in that game. second of a back-to-back, i'd love it for us to have a shot at thiessen, assuming MAF plays in both islanders games.

bluetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I don't see Lindy putting Enroth in until they're eliminated or locked.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
wonder who we see in goal for the pens in that game. second of a back-to-back, i'd love it for us to have a shot at thiessen, assuming MAF plays in both islanders games.
I hope they return the favor they gave to Ottawa by playing Thiessen on Saturday night, but I have a bad feeling they'll play him on Thursday in Long Island and bring back the Flower against us on Friday.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
None, plain and simple

unless we are eliminated or clinched
Same.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
HiddenInLight

Last game of the season, but only if they have clinched their playoff bearth.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
I would only rest Miller if he gives off some indication that he wants rest, or is playing poorly, or if we're somehow clinched into a playoff spot.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Give Enroth the game in Toronto. It's the second game of a back-to-back, it gives Miller a healthy dose of time off before and after that Friday game, and it's the 2nd easiest on the schedule.

That is, if I'm giving Enroth any games at all. I'm not sure I am.

Mit Yarrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
McTank

NEVER! But pens if we have to

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
mgeise

None, unless they have clinched or are eliminated before the Bruins game