HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The impact of the quebec nordiques on the montreal canadiens

Old
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I presume the Nordiques would not end up in the Western Pacific division, so where would they end up?
2 Conferences likely, swap Jets and Nords.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
********, so because he is an anglo Montrealer Molson is not a Quebecois? Sound like separatist rhetoric if you ask me. If anything you sound like an arrogant blowhard.
You think Geoff Molson knows who Ginette Renault is? He's not part of the same culture that regular french Quebecer is part of. They may reside at the same place but it's a whole another Universe. And you can't understand if you're not been in it. It's not negative, it's just the way it is, we have never had a Quebecois running a magor entity like this, line one of our own. There was Aubut in Quebec but he wasn't really the owner and he was on a tight budget. Quebecor getting a NHL club feels something different, like a mini-revolution and I bet i'm not the only french Quebecer that feels that way.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
tonytwist15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. How can they promise more french speaking players? You would think the league would frown on that practice. It's discriminatory.

Anyway, people think the rivalry will be just as intense, but it won't. There are so many factors that went into that rivalry that just don't exist. There were rival beer companies involved, the rivalry between the cities has probably diminished, not to mention different rules and styles of play back then. How often do you see bench clearing brawls anymore? How often do you see players getting 150 points? It's a different time and a different game. The rivalry will be there, but it will be toned down.

I do believe it will be good for hockey to have them back. They'll have to be managed properly, of course.

I disagree. It's more of a one-way thing than it used to be. People from Q.C. still hold something against Montrealers, even though Montrealers might not feel anything towards people from Q.C. And being the small city and the underdog, Nordiques fan will mock and attack Habs fans, just like before. And now, the rival beers are replaced by media giants. So instead of publicity stunts, it will stoop to oriented "journalism" and commentary. What happens on the ice might not compare (or maybe it will, who knows), but what happens off the ice will be a thousand times bigger.

It actually already makes me a little sick to think TVA will be involved. We'll have Star Académie losers (I'd prefer the rejections, it would be fun) singing the national anthem. Makes me feel like booing my own national anthem...

tonytwist15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You think Geoff Molson knows who Ginette Renault is? He's not part of the same culture that regular french Quebecer is part of. They may reside at the same place but it's a whole another Universe. And you can't understand if you're not been in it. It's not negative, it's just the way it is, we have never had a Quebecois running a magor entity like this, line one of our own. There was Aubut in Quebec but he wasn't really the owner and he was on a tight budget. Quebecor getting a NHL club feels something different, like a mini-revolution and I bet i'm not the only french Quebecer that feels that way.

You're right. I don't think Geoff Molson knows who Ginette Renault is. But, I'm pretty sure he has heard of Ginette Reno

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
habsrock76

Does the Nords ownership group promising a front office, coaching staff and 30% of the players to be french take the pressure off Molson to do the same in his search for GM/Coach and just hire the best man available?

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:28 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Sorry but I was born and raised in Montreal and spent the first 30 years of my life there before moving to Ottawa 5 years ago because of work. I am French on my dad's side and Polish on my mom's and I still go back to visit my family and friends at least once a month. So yes I know all about the two solitudes and both are Quebecois even if the French side often do not like to admit it. User this line of thinking then, all Franco-Ontarians or Franco-Manitobans etc or not really Canadians.

And as mentioned, I am sure Molson knows very well who Ginette Reno is. Good to know that knowing who she is means one is a Quebecois.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Does the Nords ownership group promising a front office, coaching staff and 30% of the players to be french take the pressure off Molson to do the same in his search for GM/Coach and just hire the best man available?
Nope. And you have to think any kind of French-heavy Nords team winning would probably push them harder.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Only if most of our media moves to Qc to cover the Nords.

Seriously, if you remember the Nords-Habs rivalry, it will be quite the opposite. It worked for us back then because the Habs were aggressive with their scouting of the Q.

But still the perception back then was that the Nords had more Quebec content when actually the only elite player was Goulet but the heart of the team was Hunter, Stastny bros and other non-local players. We had HOF Roy, 50 goal Richer, Lemieux, Carbo and a bunch more but that didn't seem to count.

So to answer your question-> NO!

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Nope. And you have to think any kind of French-heavy Nords team winning would probably push them harder.
As a previous poster said if the Nords fire Tippett then the Habs better be all over him, check out his coaching record, and with non cap spending teams:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5409

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If the Coyotes move, I think they'd be better off holding on to Tippett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I'm not worried about Molson & if Peladeau is owner of the team then he certainly has deep pockets, but I also think this could be a 10-12 year thing & then they're on the move again.

But then I think the same about Winnipeg. Both are very small communities that will find it hard to attract free agents (think Bryzgalov). Hopefully, the politics that surrounded both these franchises when they last played together also doesn't rear its ugly head, but that also seems unlikely.

It's a changed NHL from the last time the Nords were here.
Bryzgalov is an oddball as far as hockey is concerned. There are few hockey free agents that would be turned away from a team because that team playsin a cold-climate city.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
With the arena now a done deal with Quebecor and Bill Daly comments this week on the nordiques and coyotes many people beleive that the nordiques will be back in the nhl in October.
I have been thinking about the impact of the return of the nordiques on the habs. First of all i am pretty sure that Molson doesnt want the nordiques to be back in the nhl because he would lose revenues and the fans he gained when the nordiques left. Personally i think that it would be a good thing for the canadiens fans because i am pretty sure that Molson would not tolerate the nordiques to finish infront of his team at the end of the year, so i think that this would also force the canadiens to sign better free agents and hire a better coach/gm.
What lost revenue? The Bell Centre will continue to be sold out and the souvenir sales will be even higher as partisans of le Canadien display their preference in public.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
As a previous poster said if the Nords fire Tippett then the Habs better be all over him, check out his coaching record, and with non cap spending teams:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5409
I was thinking the same thing the other night when Brunet was saying between periods on RDS that they would have to dump him for a French coach and Malone for a French GM. I would take both in Montreal in a second over what we have now.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
Montreal would lose a lot of bandwagon fans and fake fans (Nordiques fans that switched to Montreal) if the Nords came back. Would be good for Montreal.
Excatly ! I can't believe it in pre-season when I see people with Nordiques jersey cheering for a Habs goal

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Haaabs

Winnipeg to Pacific
Buffalo or Ottawa to SouthEast
Nordiques to NorthEast

I don't think Buffalo or Ottawa would mind going to the SouthEast since its usually been a weaker division (not this year though). The reason I name those two is they don't seem to have the level of hatred that Montreal-Boston-Leafs share.

The Northwest has all the Canadian teams so maybe the Northeast will be the same. I see Buffalo being most likely being the one being moved since both Habs and Leafs fans seem to really enjoy invading Scotiabank place.

Who wouldn't want the Montreal-Quebec rivalry to live on. Good for the Fans, good for the NHL, good for the Owners ($)

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I was born in Montreal and consider myself Québécois. Does that mean I am not one if I don't know or care who Ginette Reno is?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Good for them, I hope they get a team and leave us alone like it was back in the day

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
You're right. I don't think Geoff Molson knows who Ginette Renault is. But, I'm pretty sure he has heard of Ginette Reno

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I presume the Nordiques would not end up in the Western Pacific division, so where would they end up?
Winnipeg goes West, Quebec comes east.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
What lost revenue? The Bell Centre will continue to be sold out and the souvenir sales will be even higher as partisans of le Canadien display their preference in public.
The tv ratings for the canadiens on rds will be lower every time the nordiques are playing on the same nights has the habs. Because of that the tv revenues for the canadiens will be lower.

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

I'd like them to come back, it would allow me to go see the Nords-Habs game in Quebec (close to where I live) proudly wearing my Habs gear while our team beats the hell out of theirs just like we did in the good ol' days.

AllanMTL46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
I'd like them to come back, it would allow me to go see the Nords-Habs game in Quebec (close to where I live) proudly wearing my Habs gear while our team beats the hell out of theirs just like we did in the good ol' days.
same for me!!! i just cant wait to call my wife from jail because he ended up fighting with a nordiques fan!!

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

If its the Coyotes moving to Quebec, then hire the soon to be let go Don Maloney. Quebecor said they'll make it a requirement for the GM to be bilingual. Let them run the risk of hiring Roy and we'll go for the guy that somehow made the Coyotes a playoff team.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Winnipeg to Pacific
Buffalo or Ottawa to SouthEast
Nordiques to NorthEast

I don't think Buffalo or Ottawa would mind going to the SouthEast since its usually been a weaker division (not this year though). The reason I name those two is they don't seem to have the level of hatred that Montreal-Boston-Leafs share.

The Northwest has all the Canadian teams so maybe the Northeast will be the same. I see Buffalo being most likely being the one being moved since both Habs and Leafs fans seem to really enjoy invading Scotiabank place.

Who wouldn't want the Montreal-Quebec rivalry to live on. Good for the Fans, good for the NHL, good for the Owners ($)
Then its Buffalo moving on (although they should move to the Atlantic). The battle of Ontario may not equal the craziness of the battle of Quebec, but it is still a huge deal and IMO is not that far off.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

It's kind of funny. If the Yotes are the ones moving to Quebec, they would immediately lose one of their best players in Doan since he wouldn't go there for sure. A huge blow to begin with, awesome.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:23 PM
SB164

2. Canadiens owner Geoff Molson is on record as supporting the Nordiques' return (should this happen), but the timing is tough for Montreal. One of the reasons I hate my parents is that they met too late for me to cover a Montreal/Quebec playoff series, but the stories from reporters who did are fantastic. The Nordiques worked hard to identify themselves as the Francophones against the Anglophone Canadiens. After all of the Randy Cunneyworth craziness, you can see how we're going to go down this road again. (And, to my dad, who reads this blog, I'm just kidding.)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote