HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2012 Free Agency & 2012-13 Payroll/Contract Limit

Old
03-16-2012, 01:19 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
LatvianTwist, I'm glad you are throwing out some numbers, and I'll offer my opinion on a few.

The first thing I'll point out though is Morrow isn't going to be Top 6 or bust IMO, and you seem to have left off the potential of him playing in the Bottom 6. I like the idea of all that competition for the last Top 6 spot.

I agree that you're probably looking at $7.5 million at least for Parise. On Benn, I'm going with wait and see. GM's are voicing their displeasure of the lost short term 2nd contract after the ELC. Many players are jumping straight from the ELC to big money skipping the bridge contract. I don't know how they plan on getting bridge contracts back, but I think this next CBA could impact Benn's contract specifically. If it ends up being a longer term contract though, I think you are in the right range at $5 to $5.5. I agree with Souray getting about $2.75 and Wandell getting around $1.5.

You're jumping way ahead on Larsen IMO. I believe we'll see a similar bridge contract as Niskanen's in the $1.75 million range over 2 years. Also with Fistric, there's no need to jump that high unless it's a longer term. He'll probably come in just under $2 million on a 2 year deal, but I could see your range on a 3 or more.

Finally, you're escalating way too fast on Bachman IMO. You could probably get 1 year under $1 million still pretty easily. You might even get 2 years, one-way, around $900,000 or so.

I honestly don't see room for both Burish and Dvorak ... maybe even either of them. Unless of course they take the opportunity to try and flip Nystrom for some sort of value. Maybe a team overlooks his 1 goal in 20+ games to end the year and falls in love with his 15 goals by November/December. Still, I think he stays over both those guys.

Just assuming you could actually land Parise ... maybe something like this:

Parise-Benn-Glennie/Fraser/College Draft Picks
Eriksson-Riberio-Ryder
Morrow-Fiddler-Ott OR Nystrom-Fiddler-Ott
Nystrom-Wandell-Vincour OR Morrow-Wandell-Vincour

Garbutt is your 13th forward making around $600K on a one-way deal.

Modano seemed to thrive off young linemates ... and Morrow is mini-MO ... so it would be interesting to see what kind of scoring punch a not-so-young Wandell and 22 year old Vincour could gain playing with a guy like Morrow. He could feed off their youth and speed. Vincour would ease the physical burden of Morrow on that line.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:22 AM
BigG44

Also ... since Glennie is developing into a solid playmaker, he might be a better option with Benn than another triggerman in Fraser. However, Fraser could be the ideal injury call up for the Ribs line if Ryder has any health issues.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
With Morrow, it's not that I can't see him in the bottom 6, but:
- I was too lazy to work it out and the roster would've been even sloppier.
- I just can't see the coaching staff do something like that. I want him to be in the bottom 6 very badly, but they've already made questionable decisions, so that remains to be seen.

Yea, I figured all the Larsen stuff was premature. That sounds like a great contract. Fistric was probably too expensive, as well. I don't know what I was thinking, I thought they were both UFAs.

I could see one of them coming back to keep the depth. Keep Garbutt in the AHL, Burish in the press box, and that should work. Or vice versa, as well.

That bottom 6 would be unreal. Arguably one of the best in the league.

That's what I was thinking. Vincour seems to be like Morrow, just with more size. He can mentor him, and Vincour can help lessen the load on Morrow that will probably be the end of his career.

That's what I was thinking. Unless Chiasson or Smith just wow's us at TC, Glennie should get the spot.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
This is some really solid conversation here.

I'm honestly going to agree with glovesave on this one. Suter would be perfect on a team like Detroit, and he'd be good here. It just wouldn't be 7 million dollars good.

I think Gaglardi knows that this city needs to have big names to fill the seats. I'm pretty confident we'll sign one of the two. The only thing I think that will hold us back is the CBA uncertainty. Joe might very well 'hold off' until it's fixed so that he can sign Benn, and then go after Parise.

Keep Souray. I don't care about the injuries, and I don't care that he's old. He's a ****ing boss, and he makes our D more stable when he plays. Perfect leader for our core back there.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post

I think Gaglardi knows that this city needs to have big names to fill the seats. I'm pretty confident we'll sign one of the two.
I wish I was this confident. Maybe they will roll back the cap and fewer teams will have the space to go after Parise and Suter, but they can choose to go anywhere and unless the Stars show that they are contenders, I am afraid both will opt to sign elsewhere.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I wish I was this confident. Maybe they will roll back the cap and fewer teams will have the space to go after Parise and Suter, but they can choose to go anywhere and unless the Stars show that they are contenders, I am afraid both will opt to sign elsewhere.
I agree. As much as Id like either (pretty much a toss up which Id prefer) I dont see that Dallas has a ton to offer at this point. Yeah things are looking up, but honestly unless they make some playoff noise what do you have? A nice run to start the season and a nice run to finish the season sandwiching some seriously mediocre play. I think Dallas is a few years away from once again being the place where big fish want to land.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:44 PM
BigG44

Parise and Suter will sign before the CBA is resolved. It's actually a pretty silly situation.

Free agency will open business as normal on July 1st. The current projection based on the current CBA formula will put the cap at $69 million. Like most top free agents, I would expect Parise and Suter to be locked up on July 1st.

The current CBA does not expire until September 15th. At that time, if a new CBA is agreed upon, most believe the new CBA will lower the cap to around $60 million.

So ... teams will sign players on July 1st based on the old CBA even though they'll play next season under a new CBA.

With the possibility of forcing RFAs to take a bridge contract being discussed, don't count on Benn signing a deal until the new CBA is done.

Someone mentioned a salary rollback along with the lowering of the cap. Don't count on it. Reports have said teams should not expect any help to get cap compliant if they spend freely this summer. IMO .... you'll see another work stoppage if owners seek a salary rollback. The good thing thieving is I haven't seen anyone speculate it is possible.

Sorry for any typos. I'm on my phone.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
BigG44

GMs and owners are fully aware of the unique situation taking place this summer. I'm glad the league is leaving it up to the teams to protect themselves. You could see some of the teams spending to the cap this season take it easy in free agency knowing they can't exceed the cap.

Plus, I think the floor rules could change to where the floor isn't a fixed number below the cap. This might eliminate some of the money dump trades made to get to the floor also taking away a good option for top teams to dump payroll.

In addition, I know some rules are being talked about to eliminate the AHL dump loop hole: Redden, Huet, etc.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:12 PM
BigG44

I hesitate to bring this guy up, but I'm bored waiting for the BU game to start and they just talked about him ....

Justin Schultz is a Anaheim draft pick, one of the top defensemen in the nation in the NCAA, and looks to be potentially snubbing Anaheim and opting for free agency on July 1st.

He's 22 and still subject to ELC rules so every team is going to offering the exact same money. Pierre McGuire seems to feel he is NHL ready right now and will seek an opportunity to play now. He went on to compare him to Ryan McDonagh and Jake Gardiner. He also said Toronto wanted Schultz over Gardiner in their trade with Anaheim.

To be totally honest, I don't like Dallas' chance of signing him. He is a right shot though, and if you could land him it would be huge.

If yall want, I'll post a YouTube of him when I get home later.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157

More with the related videos.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I'd be weary of him. They've been talking about him all year, but I'm not sure he'll be as good as people are predicting. I've heard from numerous people that think he could be a top 2 defensemen as early as next season. Lofty expectations bring big disappointment.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
BigG44

Once Austin Smith signs his ELC, an ATO which he signed today is not the same thing, Dallas will be up to 28 contracts.

As a 2007 draft pick, his max salary is $875,000 (Salary in ELC actually means salary + games played bonus + signing bonus), and his max signing bonus is $87,500.

On September 15th, 2012, Austin Smith will be 23 years old, so he'll sign a 2 year contract.

Just based on recent contracts from Dallas, I think it's reasonable to assume his salary will include include games played bonuses. I don't think it's impossible for him to get a max salary and max bonus, but my guess would be he'll get between $700K and $800K in salary with a $70K to $80K signing bonus instead of the full $875K.

I'd be pretty surprised to see him get any A or B bonuses.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
BigG44

Austin Smith's 2 year ELC is official. It'll probably take several days for CapGeek to get the numbers. Hopefully Mark (ESPN) or Heika get the details sooner.

Smith has been added to Dallas' list of contracts on the first post.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
BigG44

My intention isn't to nitpick the 100 Degree hockey guy. I love his stuff.

However, this article is incorrectly explaining the Reilly Smith situation.

Austin Smith (and soon to follow Alex Chiasson) signed both an ATO with Texas and an ELC with Dallas.

1. An ELC agreement between A. Smith/Chiasson is for the 2012-13 season and beyond. Neither player is currently under contract with the Dallas Stars this season.

2. The ATO is the only professional contract these players have at this time. It covers them for remainder of the 2011-12 season.

The 10 game slide 100 Degree is talking about refers only to 18 and 19 year old players (as of September 15th). These players are under contract with the team. If they are playing professional hockey (AHL, ECHL, or CHL), they are drawing their ECL minor league salary. As long as they don't play more than 9 NHL games, their contract slides.

The trade deadline has absolutely nothing to do with a contract slide.

Reilly Smith will force his contract to begin this season by playing a single game since this is technically is 20 year old year (based on September 15th) in terms of entry level contracts and the slide rule.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:30 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My intention isn't to nitpick the 100 Degree hockey guy. I love his stuff.

However, this article is incorrectly explaining the Reilly Smith situation.

Austin Smith (and soon to follow Alex Chiasson) signed both an ATO with Texas and an ELC with Dallas.

1. An ELC agreement between A. Smith/Chiasson is for the 2012-13 season and beyond. Neither player is currently under contract with the Dallas Stars this season.

2. The ATO is the only professional contract these players have at this time. It covers them for remainder of the 2011-12 season.

The 10 game slide 100 Degree is talking about refers only to 18 and 19 year old players (as of September 15th). These players are under contract with the team. If they are playing professional hockey (AHL, ECHL, or CHL), they are drawing their ECL minor league salary. As long as they don't play more than 9 NHL games, their contract slides.

The trade deadline has absolutely nothing to do with a contract slide.

Reilly Smith will force his contract to begin this season by playing a single game since this is technically is 20 year old year (based on September 15th) in terms of entry level contracts and the slide rule.
I wouldnt consider it nitpicking at all. That is significant information that someone who is going to run a website dedicated to giving information should get right.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
BigG44

I've been waiting for Reilly Smith's contract details, but despite signing before Chiasson they still aren't available.

Chiasson is a max salary+max signing bonus deal so his cap hit is going to be $900,000. It appears he might have a games played bonus, but I doubt I'll ever confirm that. Mark (ESPN) use to get all the details, and he hasn't in a while. Plus, Cap Geek doesn't specify which bonus is given.

Stransky's cap hit will probably be available in a couple days, and hopefully Reilly's as well.

Piqued correctly pointed out in another thread that Stransky's deal will slide next year if he plays in the WHL. I just wanted to re-state here that unless he makes the NHL squad for 10+ games, he doesn't count against the roster limit yet.

Old
04-14-2012, 07:58 PM
BigG44

Reilly Smith did end up with the same cap hit as Alex Chiasson.

They both are earning $900K.

The one difference is all of Smith's money is either salary or signing bonus. In Chiasson's 1st year, he seems to have $100K in games played bonuses.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Behold, a bump for a very important thread given that we have re-upped Wathier and unexpectedly signed Jokipakka.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:30 PM
BigG44

Wathier and Jokipakka put Dallas at 34 contracts, but Stransky's will slide so they are really at 33 contracts.

They have 13 restricted free agents, but I believe at least 3 will not receive QOs.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
BigG44

Nihlstorp didn't sign an ELC.

His cap hit is $1,000,000, and he's getting a $125,000 signing bonus. That means his NHL salary is $875,000, and he'll make $100,000 in the AHL.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
BigG44

Wathier's contract details are on Cap Geek.

His cap hit is $575,000, and I was actually surprised he isn't getting a signing bonus.

In the past, Dallas has given a player a signing bonus to prevent his AHL salary from going above $105K. That number is significant because in some cases, a player with an AHL salary above that requires re-entry waivers to be re-called.

Wathier's AHL salary is $125K. Now, he's not eligible for re-entry because he's played more than 320 professional games (NHL, AHL, and ECHL), and he has not spent 80 games over the last 2 seasons or 40 games last season on an NHL roster.

However, I'd say his AHL salary now is a pretty good indication he won't get a fair shot as a 4th liner or extra forward in the NHL. I think he's better for the organization down in Austin anyway, but I don't see Dallas playing him a ton of games in the NHL (or in the pressbox ... because that seems to count as well) and risk him becoming eligible for re-entry waivers.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
BigG44

I update the first post.

With the players Dallas qualified officially, the roster size is at 41 contracts.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:46 PM
BigG44

I updated the first post.

Dallas has 15 players signed for $42,396,111 right now. They have 44 of a possible 50 contracts as well (this number includes RFAs with no contract yet).

Old
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
BigG44

Updated the first post again. Dallas' contract number is at 46 of 50.

ForwardsCap Hit
Jagr, Jaromir$4,550,000
Whitney, Ray$4,500,000
Eriksson, Loui$4,250,000
Morrow, Brenden$4,100,000
Roy, Derek$4,000,000
Ryder, Michael$3,500,000
Fiddler, Vernon$1,800,000
Nystrom, Eric$1,400,000
Vincour, Tomas$800,000
Eakin, Cody$637,778

DefensemenCap Hit
Goligoski, Alex$4,600,000
Daley, Trevor$3,300,000
Robidas, Stephane$3,300,000
Rome, Aaron$1,500,000
Dillon, Brenden$900,000

GoaltendersCap Hit
Lehtonen, Kari$3,550,000

BuyoutCap Hit
Godard, Eric$258,333

Roster Size16
Cap Payroll$46,946,111

Old
07-05-2012, 11:25 AM
BigG44

On the RFA's if you go with:

Jamie Benn: $5,500,000
Mark Fistric: $1,750,000
Philip Larsen: $1,050,000
Tom Wandell: $892,500
Richard Bachman: $550,000
Ryan Garbutt: $550,000
Colten Sceviour: $550,000

You get a payroll of $57,788,611 which is about $3.5 million over the current definition of the cap floor.

That would give you this lineup:

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Vincour
Nystrom-Fiddler-Sceviour
Wandell-Garbutt

Goligoski-Robidas
Dillon-Daley
Fistric-Larsen
Rome

Lehtonen
Bachman

With Matt Fraser receiving several mentions by GMJN, I tried to get him in the lineup, but I think that only happen if they trade Brenden Morrow. I doubt Fraser would be a 5 to 8 minutes a night player on the 4th line.