HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#75 | New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers | Mar 25 | W 3-2 (SO)

Old
03-26-2012, 12:07 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

vCash: 500
Can't make it to the playoffs, can't be bad enough to get top two in the draft. This team is really fu

I jest. Hate to see a win in the skills comp though. It is so chees

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:41 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Did MacDonald really jump out of the way of contact on that first goal? Is the team really that so
I didn't see the game, but I did notice in the boxscore that half the Isles' defensemen had zero hits in the game. How do you play defense in the NHL and not have at least a hit or two in a game? Let alone half the d-men "accomplishing" that?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:51 AM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
As nice as a high pick would be, I really want to see this team finish at or above .500
I used to think this way, until I realized that these games don't mean anything. My wife, who never watches the games, watched last night, said "How come they don't play like this all the time? It's because they're loose and have nothing to play for, huh." Bingo. Points from players, decent streaky play, none of it extends to next year. Might as well just get the high pick now, dump Cappy and get a coach who can get the most out of these guys (which wang will never do).

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
beLIever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Im sure the reason he hasn't recovered is because no one got revenge for him.
Howie Rose said on the broadcast that Montoya is still playing at less than 100% because mid-season concussion was ultimately diagnosed to be both a concussion and nerve damage in the neck; he's been cleared to play because the neck problem is "manageable."

His less than 100% is still better than DP or rushing Poulin/Nilsson. Not that I expect the Isles to resign him; I hope he goes to his hometown of Chicago and has a great season.

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:38 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanof31 View Post
Howie Rose said on the broadcast that Montoya is still playing at less than 100% because mid-season concussion was ultimately diagnosed to be both a concussion and nerve damage in the neck; he's been cleared to play because the neck problem is "manageable."

His less than 100% is still better than DP or rushing Poulin/Nilsson. Not that I expect the Isles to resign him; I hope he goes to his hometown of Chicago and has a great season.
He'd be better than Crawford right now. How did they not trade for a goalie?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Did MacDonald really jump out of the way of contact on that first goal? Is the team really that so

play was behind the net and he tried to poke the puck through and failed. Not avoiding a hit, a misplay.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Speaking of AMac and Hammer, I've noticed a deterioration of their play; inconsistent overall. THAT'S a function of not being put in a position to succeed. These guys are not capable (yet, in Hammer's case), as solid as they are, to be playing top-2 mins. 2nd pairing? Yes, but not first.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I'm thinking we could catch picks or something for negotiation rights. Say for PA rights to negotiate for a 1st rounder 2012.
that was a good one.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:22 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
That play was the ultimate indictment of Parenteau. He leads JT into the Fla zone, JT spins and passes, expecting Parenteau would follow in, but Parenteau is standing in the neutral zone. Let him sign elsew
agree. just dont understand why we didnt go and get a first rounder for him a couple of weeks ago.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:27 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Great game but sometimes I really hate this te

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanof31 View Post

I'd love to see Monty stay (with time to heal, I harken back to his solid dependability) so he can be there for Poulin in a year from now (Nabby goes in trade so we can get a SOLID vet) and give Mikko more time (I think he's the top dog in the race) and Poulin will be matured further like an NHL team did it, not Islander style.

And let's also remember one thing - banishing a talented kid out would be unwise because if Monty springs back, there's a piece in a package for a real veteran D-man.

We can all remember Blake's walk year, with vets running for the door that summer.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'd love to see Monty stay (with time to heal, I harken back to his solid dependability) so he can be there for Poulin in a year from now (Nabby goes in trade so we can get a SOLID vet) and give Mikko more time (I think he's the top dog in the race) and Poulin will be matured further like an NHL team did it, not Islander style.

And let's also remember one thing - banishing a talented kid out would be unwise because if Monty springs back, there's a piece in a package for a real veteran D-man.

We can all remember Blake's walk year, with vets running for the door that summer.
I agree with you. The question is more would Montoya want to come back for whatever they offer him and to be the #2 or can he find a better gig on the open market?

But, from the Isles perspective, I agree with you that Nabby/Monty in the NHL and Poulin/tall euro goalie a or b should be left in the AHL to develop more.

I could also see one of the goalie prospects being packaged for something. Kind of amazing how it went form a position of weakness when DP first got hurt a couple years ago to now being a position of strength without DP even being a factor...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
play was behind the net and he tried to poke the puck through and failed. Not avoiding a hit, a misplay.
That's kinda my point. He could have put the guy on his wallet. Instead, he literally jumped and poked.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Fairenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Speaking of AMac and Hammer, I've noticed a deterioration of their play; inconsistent overall. THAT'S a function of not being put in a position to succeed. These guys are not capable (yet, in Hammer's case), as solid as they are, to be playing top-2 mins. 2nd pairing? Yes, but not first.
Hamonic has struggled a bit since he's been playing with the cage...no big deal.

Hamonic can easily handle top-2 minutes. He's out there against the top lines and the Isles CANNOT score at Even Strength...yet, he's like +10. The plus/minus is largely an irrelevant stat, but given those circumstances, it says a lot of Hamonic's game.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
Hamonic has struggled a bit since he's been playing with the cage...no big deal.

Hamonic can easily handle top-2 minutes. He's out there against the top lines and the Isles CANNOT score at Even Strength...yet, he's like +10. The plus/minus is largely an irrelevant stat, but given those circumstances, it says a lot of Hamonic's game.
He's losing sight of the puck when it is right under him.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote