HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Tank Thread - We're back to 28th

Old
03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Better assets management by our "brilliant" management team would had done the job.
THIS!!!!!! X 1000 times

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
That's not true. Cole was an absolutely amazing signing, best free agency signing in a long time. Also, the Gill trade was great.

Who recruited NHL cookies like Emelin and Diaz? Even the Cammalleri trade looks to be at the very least a wash.

The only bad move he made was the Spacek trade, and let's be honest here, that trade really isn't that awful. Stop placing all the blame on one person, it is such an annoying trait of Habs fans on this site.

Cammy sucked, Pleks sucked, Markov and Gionta were injured, our D struggled badly and we dealt with a lot of injuries. Also, our powerplay was atrocious. I'm not saying I think we should keep Gauthier, I'm saying there are many other people to place the blame on than ONLY him.
Did you defend Houle when he was GM too? Are you old enough to remember him?

At what point do you wake up and realize that PG has sucked? I mean you're sitting there seriously trying to tell us that the Cammy trade is a wash? Just give it up man.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Haaabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
U know EDM will out tank us, they're just too good at it.

The real battle here is vs Minny, the isles and the laffs.
At this point, I think Edmonton believes that they need to accumulate a full roster of #1 picks. They have become very good at being mediocre.

Minny should be better with the return of Mikko Koivu. Isles and Leafs are a crap shoot I feel.

The only joy left in this season is enjoying the misery of the Leafs, especially considering they barely had any injuries, they are just that bad. Cheering against the Bruins and Sens has also kept me reasonably happy thanks to their recent slides

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
NJHABFAN

well i will say the Cole pick up was great.....Cammy hmmmm should of got a better draft pick or waited for some other team....Kaberle terrible....and signing Markov to more than 1 year pretty bad....

NJHABFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Haaabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHABFAN View Post
well i will say the Cole pick up was great.....Cammy hmmmm should of got a better draft pick or waited for some other team....Kaberle terrible....and signing Markov to more than 1 year pretty bad....
I feel that Cammy trade was good. We got Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland (decent prospect), a draft pick and 3 mil in cap space.

Terrible isn't bad enough of a word to describe the Kaberle trade. Spacek's contract ended at the end of this season. Instead of letting it run its course, we trade for Kaberle and we're stuck with him for the next 3 years (i believe).

Markov we're going to have to wait in see. He's looked rusty and slow on defence. Hopefully that's rust and he'll work it off and go back to being the old Markov.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
I feel that Cammy trade was good. We got Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland (decent prospect), a draft pick and 3 mil in cap space.

Terrible isn't bad enough of a word to describe the Kaberle trade. Spacek's contract ended at the end of this season. Instead of letting it run its course, we trade for Kaberle and we're stuck with him for the next 3 years (i believe).

Markov we're going to have to wait in see. He's looked rusty and slow on defence. Hopefully that's rust and he'll work it off and go back to being the old Markov.
Dealing away Cammy for spare parts and a bad contract is not good. And it's esp bad when you consider that we should've been looking to rebuild the club. The 2nd is nice and all but we basically dumped Cammy and that's something you do with Hal Gill, not Mike Cammalleri. That was an extremely dumb trade. Esp. when you consider the manner in which it went down.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Haaabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Dealing away Cammy for spare parts and a bad contract is not good. And it's esp bad when you consider that we should've been looking to rebuild the club. The 2nd is nice and all but we basically dumped Cammy and that's something you do with Hal Gill, not Mike Cammalleri. That was an extremely dumb trade. Esp. when you consider the manner in which it went down.
I thought the trade was aimed at rebuilding. A 2nd rounder could mean another player like MaxPac or Subban in the future, if we're lucky. Holland has also been tearing up the WHL.

72 GP
25 G
84 A
109 PTS
+42

Bourque's contract isn't so bad (3.3 mil/yr for 4 more seasons), he was supposed to be a big body that got the dirty goals. Instead he's been invisible. I don't mind having him in the lineup as a 3rd liner and giving one of the kids a shot at the 2nd line.

The 3 mil in cap space should help us resign our RFAs.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think the biggest mistake of PG is overrating our defence in his evaluation, none of his trades have been bad, but nothing to write home about. What disappoints me the most is the low value we seem to get while shopping our moveable assets, I feel we could've had better deals for the Sergei Kostitsyn, Cammy and even Halak ( I love Eller tho')

I still want to see a new GM and a complete revamp of management, except for Timmins. Everyone involved in the Gainey era needs to go. But at this point, I think Molson gives another chance to PG; the underachievement of certain players, badly timed coach change (might have been seeked by the owner) and injuries might be enough of an excuse to give him another shot.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
I thought the trade was aimed at rebuilding. A 2nd rounder could mean another player like MaxPac or Subban in the future, if we're lucky. Holland has also been tearing up the WHL.

72 GP
25 G
84 A
109 PTS
+42

Bourque's contract isn't so bad (3.3 mil/yr for 4 more seasons), he was supposed to be a big body that got the dirty goals. Instead he's been invisible. I don't mind having him in the lineup as a 3rd liner and giving one of the kids a shot at the 2nd line.

The 3 mil in cap space should help us resign our RFA.
This. Bourque is a potent 3rd liner that needs to play with players that have pride and balls. Hopefully Moen will be back to fill that role. I can live with Bourque-Eller-Moen on the third line. Fourth line can be a mix of Blunden, White, Leblanc, Palushaj, Nokaleinen (cheap RFA...), Darche (cheap vet, can play PK...meh) and who ever else.

The big question is: who will be the 4th top6 winger? Gionta-Cole-Pacioretty-???. Yakupov?

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post

The big question is: who will be the 4th top6 winger? Gionta-Cole-Pacioretty-???.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:20 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
this should be posted there
Subban as a foward?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:29 PM
NJHABFAN

than we will miss all those sick hip checks.....

Old
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I would love to see this team draft 1st overall, chances will be slim but a bit of help here and there it's possible

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

72 GP
25 G
84 A
109 PTS
+42

The 3 mil in cap space should help us resign our RFAs.
MaxPac was picked in the first round. And while it's true, a 2nd rounder could become a PK Subban, it can also become a Ben Maxwell, Matthieu Carle, Corey Urquhart, or other players we can't handle like Lappy or Lats.

The point LG is making isn't that Bourque can't be a decent 3rd liner, or that Holland is crap, it's that we could have gotten more for Cammy.
We're also only saving about 2.5M off the cap. It's not a huge saving. I believe there was a plan though. PG probably knew he was going to move AK with no interest in re-signing him. So he figured he'd get a player like AK, who's been more productive these past couple years, at a cheaper cap hit.
But even if that was the idea behind it, we could have hold on to Cammy longer.

Time will tell if this was indeed a good trade or not, that will depend on our drafting and Holland.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
This. Bourque is a potent 3rd liner that needs to play with players that have pride and balls. Hopefully Moen will be back to fill that role. I can live with Bourque-Eller-Moen on the third line. Fourth line can be a mix of Blunden, White, Leblanc, Palushaj, Nokaleinen (cheap RFA...), Darche (cheap vet, can play PK...meh) and who ever else.

The big question is: who will be the 4th top6 winger? Gionta-Cole-Pacioretty-???. Yakupov?
If Bourque needs to play with others who've got pride and balls that would make him impotent wouldn't it? I mean if he's so potent shouldn't he be able to get it done himself? The guy has been a bump on a log for us.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Lshap

Quote:
I think the biggest mistake of PG is overrating our defence in his evaluation, none of his trades have been bad, but nothing to write home about. What disappoints me the most is the low value we seem to get while shopping our moveable assets, I feel we could've had better deals for the Sergei Kostitsyn, Cammy and even Halak ( I love Eller tho')

I still want to see a new GM and a complete revamp of management, except for Timmins. Everyone involved in the Gainey era needs to go. But at this point, I think Molson gives another chance to PG; the underachievement of certain players, badly timed coach change (might have been seeked by the owner) and injuries might be enough of an excuse to give him another shot.
I agree with every word. The only thing that changed from last season to this was defense, which ended up being the season killer for us. PG gambled on a new core of young guys plus Markov and lost the bet. On the trade front, I banged my head against the wall when PG traded Halak and Cammy, not because we got nothing in return, but because he could have gotten much more. I've heard enough about PG's tactics to make me believe he really doesn't shop his players around -- he talks to one GM, says, "Okay, sounds like enough", and makes a deal, while 28 other GMs are wondering why he didn't approach them. Ridiculous.

I also think you might be right about Molson keeping him on. Part is because PG can claim extenuating circumstances (injuries mostly), part is because he's already started remaking the team and can claim he's fixing the mistakes, and part is because there may be nobody else out there. If PG stays, all we can hope for is that he is given a clearer, smarter mandate on player decisions.

The irony is that the Habs may be much better next year and PG will be the one getting heaps of credit if it happens.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Lshap

Quote:
If Bourque needs to play with others who've got pride and balls that would make him impotent wouldn't it? I mean if he's so potent shouldn't he be able to get it done himself? The guy has been a bump on a log for us.
No one could possibly disagree with this -- even Bourque. The problem with impotence is you don't know if he's unable to score, or if the team just doesn't turn him on. Bourque didn't just forget how to score goals, and yet something's turned his touch flaccid. This has happened with other players who come here and see their points dip. Is it something about the Habs? Have we become the ugly sister that players just want to be friends with?

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Bourque is the new Czerkawski.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
NJHABFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I would love to see this team draft 1st overall, chances will be slim but a bit of help here and there it's possible

how do u figure?
we are 16 points ahead of Columbus.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
We could have gotten 4 1st round picks for Crapalleri, his 8 goals and 6 million dollar cap hit. Everyone in the league wanted him deseratly right?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
how do u figure?
So what. The Flyers were ahead of the Hawks but they still ended up winning the lottery. Odds are better for the Jackets but we could still win the lottery, anything is possible

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Belso

Quote:
now if we can only stay in the position till the april 8.....

how sad we are hoping to tank, what has this team become....
One step back. Two steps forward...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
how do u figure?
finishing in top 5 and win the draft

Old
03-26-2012, 02:27 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
We could have gotten 4 1st round picks for Crapalleri, his 8 goals and 6 million dollar cap hit. Everyone in the league wanted him deseratly right?
I thought you were talking about Crapoli

Old
03-26-2012, 02:27 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Eller, he has already shown he liks to play on Pleks wing and it allows Pleks to be more aggressive on the dot because if he gets tossed out Eller is a decent centre aswell.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote