HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
03-20-2012, 07:07 AM
hockey jockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTinglebone View Post
Surprised to hear some of those All-Star selections.

Nice to hear about Meadows. Have always thought he is one of, if not the top 97 goalie in NB (Galloway being the other).

I actually saw several of the games as well.

Riley Scott (Northern) really impressed me. Seemed to really carry that team and has a motor that doesn't quit. He plays from goal to goal and is relentless.

Tompkins was just as you said, very dominant. I thought he may have been the best player in the tourney.

Couple of 98's really impressed me as well in Tardif(Dieppe), Reade(Moncton), Breau(District 3), McGraw(Saint John) and Leblanc(Fredericton).

Do you have any idea why Foulem played in nets for Moncton in the final?
Tony I am not sure if you have seen many kids in Nova Scotia play if so do you think there 97 pool is as deep or deeper than New Brunswicks.

I was a little surprised that Robinson was left off the All-Star selection at least 2nd team, I think Meadows was the best between the the pipes all weekend he is the only reason the Caps went as far as they did.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Tony I am not sure if you have seen many kids in Nova Scotia play if so do you think there 97 pool is as deep or deeper than New Brunswicks.

I was a little surprised that Robinson was left off the All-Star selection at least 2nd team, I think Meadows was the best between the the pipes all weekend he is the only reason the Caps went as far as they did.
I have seen a bit of NS, but not nearly as much as some other posters here. I would say for 97s that NS is definitely deeper than NB at forward. NB doesn't really have the depth to compete with NS at forward, and even the top end guys from NS are better than the top end guys from NB. Just of the top of my head Tower, Parsons, Messenger, Murphy-Hamer, Packman would all be guys that I would consider better than any forward in NB.

Defense is pretty close, but I think NB has a better group. Deschenes is probably the best 97 at any position in the maritimes. Then you have some more great D in Thompson, Paul, Vance, Cloutier, Robinson and so on.

Goaltending is something I don't have a great read on, but I think NS has a lead on that as well. Dawe , Mann-Dixon and Melanson are all great goalies in my opinion.

I am sure that others have a different view and would for certain see a lot more of the NS kids than I. Other posters have a better idea of a comparison of the provinces too.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I have seen a bit of NS, but not nearly as much as some other posters here. I would say for 97s that NS is definitely deeper than NB at forward. NB doesn't really have the depth to compete with NS at forward, and even the top end guys from NS are better than the top end guys from NB. Just of the top of my head Tower, Parsons, Messenger, Murphy-Hamer, Packman would all be guys that I would consider better than any forward in NB.

Defense is pretty close, but I think NB has a better group. Deschenes is probably the best 97 at any position in the maritimes. Then you have some more great D in Thompson, Paul, Vance, Cloutier, Robinson and so on.

Goaltending is something I don't have a great read on, but I think NS has a lead on that as well. Dawe , Mann-Dixon and Melanson are all great goalies in my opinion.

I am sure that others have a different view and would for certain see a lot more of the NS kids than I. Other posters have a better idea of a comparison of the provinces too.
I agree that NS is a deeper pool, I don't agree that list is better than all the NB forwards. It's easy to be fooled by numbers, NS has a franchise system where they can pool lots of those players on the same teams. NB spreads them all over in regions, so tournaments and games between NS and NB teams can look slanted towards NS. If we look at the U15 teams where they went head to head, NS beat NB in the final because they were deeper, on all four lines not because their star players out performed the NB ones.

Welsh is a very good NS Dman that would be on par with everyone but Deschenes and they have a couple of other good ones also. The margin between the top 5 - 6 forwards and 4-5 dmen between each province is interchangeable to me.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:

I agree Welch is a very good Dman, I think they have a couple more that are good but Welch would be the best of the bunch.

Is there any players in PEI that measure up to any of the above mentioned players?I know Picco and Noel are at Prep School any word on there development this year?

Old
03-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Hockey77

Could you give me more info on Nolan Alward, Jared Ostroski, Liam Conrad and Alex Jacob of the Moncton Hawks?

Hockey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
I agree that NS is a deeper pool, I don't agree that list is better than all the NB forwards. It's easy to be fooled by numbers, NS has a franchise system where they can pool lots of those players on the same teams. NB spreads them all over in regions, so tournaments and games between NS and NB teams can look slanted towards NS. If we look at the U15 teams where they went head to head, NS beat NB in the final because they were deeper, on all four lines not because their star players out performed the NB ones.

Welsh is a very good NS Dman that would be on par with everyone but Deschenes and they have a couple of other good ones also. The margin between the top 5 - 6 forwards and 4-5 dmen between each province is interchangeable to me.
i agree with you...Parsons IMO is better than any NB forward but after that, JM Leblanc to me is better than any of the other NS forwards, Tower would be better but size is going to prevent that at next levels...Hamer is not as good as Leblanc or Tompkins IMO it is a good mix...NS has more depth than NB but the high end talent is up there.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:03 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
i agree with you...Parsons IMO is better than any NB forward but after that, JM Leblanc to me is better than any of the other NS forwards, Tower would be better but size is going to prevent that at next levels...Hamer is not as good as Leblanc or Tompkins IMO it is a good mix...NS has more depth than NB but the high end talent is up there.
Besides Leblanc, who is tall but on the light side there are not very many of these NB kids who are very big.Still early to write someone off because of size these kids are 14 and should still grow, Jacob is not a very big player and is similar to Towers in skill do you think his size will hold him back ?I think Belic from Moncton is a big kid that will do well in Midget next year.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:44 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Besides Leblanc, who is tall but on the light side there are not very many of these NB kids who are very big.Still early to write someone off because of size these kids are 14 and should still grow, Jacob is not a very big player and is similar to Towers in skill do you think his size will hold him back ?I think Belic from Moncton is a big kid that will do well in Midget next year.
Yeah that is a good question, but what do you consider big? Some of these guys are a decent size in my book:
(estimates for both ht and wt)
Deschenes - 5'11" - 180lbs
Comeau - 6'+ - 150lbs
Hachey - 6'+ - 160lbs
Vance - 5'10" last fall
Paul - 5'8"+ last fall
Thompson - 5'9" last fall
Scott - 5'10"+ 150lbs
Robinson - 5'10"+ 160lbs
Belec - 5'10" - 160lbs
Tompkins - 5'9" - 160lbs
Leblanc - 5'10" + - 150lbs
Jacob - 5'6" - 140lbs
Adams - 5'7" - 160 - 165lbs
Buck - 5'10" - 160lbs

Again, just guesses, but I bet I'm pretty close on them all.

Belec will likely make the Moncton team next year, but they have a bunch of returners so the 97's here are in tough. I would expect he and Jacob to make it though. I think Jacob is the only one that played any games with them as an affiliate, but that isn't always an indicator anyway.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:35 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
well from my years of experience as a scout and even before I was a scout I was doing scouting for magazines and such I watch players and how they grow and a kid who is in his last year Bantam to his year in midget will probably grow 1 inch or possibly 2 inches....for a guy like Tower that would bring him up to say a listed 5'07 or 5'08....BUT here is the thing, us as teams we have CSR do the messuer of these guys and an example is players on Halifax Titans roster were listed at say 5'10 and when we got the actual sizes from CSR these guys were 5'07 and a half to 5'08...so Jacob is listed at 5'05 but in reality he might be 5'04, teams always do the height on skates.....it is hard to say how a player will go over to midget when height is not the best, some do well, some have trouble with the strength.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:01 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Yeah that is a good question, but what do you consider big? Some of these guys are a decent size in my book:
(estimates for both ht and wt)
Deschenes - 5'11" - 180lbs
Comeau - 6'+ - 150lbs
Hachey - 6'+ - 160lbs
Vance - 5'10" last fall
Paul - 5'8"+ last fall
Thompson - 5'9" last fall
Scott - 5'10"+ 150lbs
Robinson - 5'10"+ 160lbs
Belec - 5'10" - 160lbs
Tompkins - 5'9" - 160lbs
Leblanc - 5'10" + - 150lbs
Jacob - 5'6" - 140lbs
Adams - 5'7" - 160 - 165lbs
Buck - 5'10" - 160lbs

Again, just guesses, but I bet I'm pretty close on them all.

Belec will likely make the Moncton team next year, but they have a bunch of returners so the 97's here are in tough. I would expect he and Jacob to make it though. I think Jacob is the only one that played any games with them as an affiliate, but that isn't always an indicator anyway.

Unless you are very close to some of these players like you say it is just a guesse , I have seen lots of these kids play this year I think your guesses in size are of a little of IMO ,to me Leblanc, Scott and Belic are closer to 6' and as are far as weight that would be impossible to guesse.What are your thoughts on the Becker kid he played u-14 and 15 he is not on your list and he is as big or bigger than any of the kids you mentioned from what I remember from the ACC.Some of these kids will grow a lot and some may not grow much more, a good example of that is Johhny Erb from St John he was 5'8 in his second Bantam and is not much more than that now my point is that size will catch up to some of these early bloomers and that there will be some sleepers that will develope late.

JMO

Old
03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Unless you are very close to some of these players like you say it is just a guesse , I have seen lots of these kids play this year I think your guesses in size are of a little of IMO ,to me Leblanc, Scott and Belic are closer to 6' and as are far as weight that would be impossible to guesse.What are your thoughts on the Becker kid he played u-14 and 15 he is not on your list and he is as big or bigger than any of the kids you mentioned from what I remember from the ACC.Some of these kids will grow a lot and some may not grow much more, a good example of that is Johhny Erb from St John he was 5'8 in his second Bantam and is not much more than that now my point is that size will catch up to some of these early bloomers and that there will be some sleepers that will develope late.

JMO
Well, I bet my guess of ht and wt are very close to the actuals. It's not that hard to do actually when you are doing it all the time. I'm not looking for an arguement, if someone is not 5'10 and is actually 5'11, so be it. The point of my post was to ask what your first post was comparing size to? My question to you is, when you watched the ACC with the NS players, did they look bigger than the NB ones to you? They didn't to me... as a matter of fact, Bauld, Tower and a couple of others were on the smallish side then.

Becker was 5'9" or so in the fall, probably about 160lbs

I agree with Scoutman1, these are always inflated with the teams list.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Well, I bet my guess of ht and wt are very close to the actuals. It's not that hard to do actually when you are doing it all the time. I'm not looking for an arguement, if someone is not 5'10 and is actually 5'11, so be it. The point of my post was to ask what your first post was comparing size to? My question to you is, when you watched the ACC with the NS players, did they look bigger than the NB ones to you? They didn't to me... as a matter of fact, Bauld, Tower and a couple of others were on the smallish side then.

Becker was 5'9" or so in the fall, probably about 160lbs

I agree with Scoutman1, these are always inflated with the teams list.
By no means was I looking for an arguement it was just my opinion, I agree Bauld and Tower are on the small side but my point was that NB has some skilled players that are not very big and that it will take time to see where they are when they stop growing the same as NS kids .I also agree that teams inflate the size of players those are things that will be corrected by a measuring tape when needed.

Scoutman 1 when you are scouting a kid what are the 5 top things you look for to determine if he is of interest to your team, where does size fit into the equation.

Old
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:

JMO
erbs was 5'6

Old
03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
By no means was I looking for an arguement it was just my opinion, I agree Bauld and Tower are on the small side but my point was that NB has some skilled players that are not very big and that it will take time to see where they are when they stop growing the same as NS kids .I also agree that teams inflate the size of players those are things that will be corrected by a measuring tape when needed.

Scoutman 1 when you are scouting a kid what are the 5 top things you look for to determine if he is of interest to your team, where does size fit into the equation.
intensity, skating, iq on the ice, work ethic and off ice personality

Old
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
intensity, skating, iq on the ice, work ethic and off ice personality
I would put skating first but am with you on the rest. Size for me only matters hugely with DMen and Goalies. There are lots of great forwards in every league that aren't the biggest players.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Hockey watcher

U16

Nothing about the last posts but any inputs about no ACC? Is that true?

Hockey watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
I would put skating first but am with you on the rest. Size for me only matters hugely with DMen and Goalies. There are lots of great forwards in every league that aren't the biggest players.
no order it is what my team looks for

Old
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
no order it is what my team looks for
Do you see many of the above mentioned kids been drafted in 2013 ?

Old
03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey watcher View Post
Nothing about the last posts but any inputs about no ACC? Is that true?
Only for U16 from what I understand. From what I hear there is going to be a Q sponsored tourney closer to the draft with the four atlantic teams plus two teams from Quebec. This is not confirmed, but I have heard it from some very good sources.

ACC will still be happening for U14 and U15

Old
03-30-2012, 05:46 AM
hockey jockey

[QUOTE=TonyTinglebone;46766079]Only for U16 from what I understand. From what I hear there is going to be a Q sponsored tourney closer to the draft with the four atlantic teams plus two teams from Quebec. This is not confirmed, but I have heard it from some very good sources.

ACC will still be happening for U14 and U15[/QUOTE

Will you be attending any of the Atlantics in Halifax this weekend should be some good hockey.Dieppe off to a good start, all games yesterdsy were close PEI with two losses are done any perdictions on a winner.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Will you be attending any of the Atlantics in Halifax this weekend should be some good hockey.Dieppe off to a good start, all games yesterdsy were close PEI with two losses are done any perdictions on a winner.
I won't be there unfortunately, but it should be some great hockey. I have not seen any teams from NL this year so I can't speak much for them, but Halifax, TASA and Dieppe are all great teams. Pownal should keep it close, but I don't see them winning it all, but who knows. It's wide open in short tourneys like this, all comes down to who's going at the right time.

That being said I will predict TASA and Dieppe in the final

Last edited by TonyTinglebone: 03-30-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old
04-01-2012, 03:52 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I won't be there unfortunately, but it should be some great hockey. I have not seen any teams from NL this year so I can't speak much for them, but Halifax, TASA and Dieppe are all great teams. Pownal should keep it close, but I don't see them winning it all, but who knows. It's wide open in short tourneys like this, all comes down to who's going at the right time.

That being said I will predict TASA and Dieppe in the final
Halifax Hawks win AAA Bantam Atlantics the two Nova Scotia teams were much deeper than the other 3 provinces talent wise.

Moncton Flyers win AAA Midget Atlantics they were clearly the strongest team there.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Halifax Hawks win AAA Bantam Atlantics the two Nova Scotia teams were much deeper than the other 3 provinces talent wise.

Moncton Flyers win AAA Midget Atlantics they were clearly the strongest team there.
How do you know that? How could you be in Halifax and St. John's?

Old
04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
How do you know that? How could you be in Halifax and St. John's?
I don't recall saying I was at any games , watched a couple Midget games by webcast Moncton went undefeated out scoring there oppemts 22-6 and won 5-1 in the final which IMO and also talking to someone who was there they dominated the Midget Atlantics.

Never watched any Bantam games kept an eye on the game reports PEI and NFLD competed in a couple of games Dieppe could have been in the final and showed very well but the two most talented teams made the finals, computers and cell phones can keep you inforem even when your not there.

JMO

Old
04-02-2012, 07:10 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I don't recall saying I was at any games , watched a couple Midget games by webcast Moncton went undefeated out scoring there oppemts 22-6 and won 5-1 in the final which IMO and also talking to someone who was there they dominated the Midget Atlantics.

Never watched any Bantam games kept an eye on the game reports PEI and NFLD competed in a couple of games Dieppe could have been in the final and showed very well but the two most talented teams made the finals, computers and cell phones can keep you inforem even when your not there.

JMO
Sorry, I thought you were actually there watching as you said some teams were stronger than others.

What info do you have on Leduc and the Sask team for the Telus Cup?

UNB's Stamler played for Leduc.