HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The impact of the quebec nordiques on the montreal canadiens

Old
03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
sukimono

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
It's kind of funny. If the Yotes are the ones moving to Quebec, they would immediately lose one of their best players in Doan since he wouldn't go there for sure. A huge blow to begin with, awesome.
Wow you've got some great sources

He's UFA and will be 36 after next season anyways.

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
Wow you've got some great sources

He's UFA and will be 36 after next season anyways.
But think of it this way. If Doan does resign in Phoenix/QC/Seattle, he'll have spent his entire career with one franchise and yet played in 3 different cities. Boggles the mind.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm an Anglo-Québecer and I know who Ginette Reno is. Horrible singer and somewhat funny in Mambo Italiano. Want to know what else I know? Cheese and peanut butter sandwiches taste AWFUL. Wait, what does peanut butter and cheese sandwiches have to do with this thread? About the same as Ginette Reno.

I understand that when talking about les Nordiques de Québec's impact on the Habs, it is virtually impossible to keep language out of it. It's there and it always will be. But for the sake of this thread keeping afloat, keep it respectful in here. Stay on topic and if you can't steer clear of making this an Anglo-vs-Franco battlefield, then... I don't even know what I am capable of.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
SB164

I wonder, how many Yotes players would ask for a trade if the new management fires Dave Tippet?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You think Geoff Molson knows who Ginette Renault is? He's not part of the same culture that regular french Quebecer is part of. They may reside at the same place but it's a whole another Universe. And you can't understand if you're not been in it. It's not negative, it's just the way it is, we have never had a Quebecois running a magor entity like this, line one of our own. There was Aubut in Quebec but he wasn't really the owner and he was on a tight budget. Quebecor getting a NHL club feels something different, like a mini-revolution and I bet i'm not the only french Quebecer that feels that way.
At the same time, a lot of Francophone Quebecois in Montreal relate to Montreal Anglophones (the majority of whom openly identify as Quebecois nowadays) more than they do other Francophones from QC and rural Quebec. I sure know that plenty of Francophones in Montreal have no interest in listening to Ginette Reno.

In fact this is one of the reasons I can't wait for the Nords to come back, so the Canadiens can be the team of Montreal first again. The Nordiques already tried once to accuse the Habs of being an anglophone/federalist team, I'm not too worried about Habs losing their French speaking fans.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Nordiques?

A whole lot of hate going on, that's what.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
MathMan

I think if it happens (I wouldn't give it huge odds, personally), it will mean very little with the Habs, but the newspapers and the TV will never, ever let you believe that. When the Habs turn it around (as inevitably they must), the Nordiques will be credited, regardless of whether there is any truth to it -- and likely there will be none.

But HELL it'll be good copy. The impact on sports media is likely to be far larger than on the sports team.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'm an Anglo-Québecer and I know who Ginette Reno is. Horrible singer and somewhat funny in Mambo Italiano.
She is a great signer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
It's kind of funny. If the Yotes are the ones moving to Quebec, they would immediately lose one of their best players in Doan since he wouldn't go there for sure. A huge blow to begin with, awesome.

Why not?? It's Montreal's medias and politicians that made a big story out of nothing. People in Québec city were laughing at the whole thing. French people from Montreal are much more nationalists than people in Québec city.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:12 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

No one in Montreal cares about Quebec City. If they have a team? Good for them, we will hate them and pulverize them on the ice.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Since the arena will not be finished until 2013... where would they play until then?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Since the arena will not be finished until 2013... where would they play until then?
in the old colisee, the city of quebec just invested 8 millions to renovate the old colisee so it can be ready for the nhl in september if needed, also both gary bettman and bill daly confirmed that a team could play in the old in the old colisee for a few years... and by the way the new colisee wont be ready before september 2015 not 2013....

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I think it would be great for the rivalty.

I think it would be very bad for the habs, especially if it happens this quickly! A pathetic season like the one we just had would give plenty of people the incentive to switch. The timing couldn't be worst.

Regards the Nords, I think one big thing in the equation that isn't talked enough is what kind of budget an NHL franchise would operate in Quebec. Would it be able to max their cap hit? The habs can easily. This could make the viability of a competitive franchise in Quebec in jeopardy on the long run.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
BobLoblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Old Anglo money from Montreal. I'm talking about the first Quebecois owner with big pockets in the history of the NHL. Never happened so it's intriguing.
Love how one of the first families to settle in Quebec and make significant economic, political and social contributions is still somehow less of a "Quebecois" than a French Canadian whose family may have even arrived later on, simply because the Molson's aren't Franco.

The fact that so many feel the same way (as you claim) is very discouraging to me. But, then again, it was the answer I expected to get back, so my fault for asking I suppose.

BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I welcome them back with open arms... So that we can club them over the head with hockey sticks. I was too young to truely appreciate the rivalry before they moved to Colorado, but I am well versed in the history and cultural importance of the rivalry. I want the Nords back in the NHL just as much as I want a Stanley Cup in Montreal.

While I do believe that Montreal would stand to lose some revenue, the overall greater good would be accomplished for the game in general. It would be another intense heated rivalry. So intense, in fact that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the rivalry between Montreal and Toronto became almost non-existent again like it was during the Nords first tenure. Montreal would have Quebec and Boston, Toronto would have Ottawa and Boston.

As for Geoff Molson not being a true Quebecois because he wasn't born a Francophone, frankly, shame on those who share that view and same on the people running this board for letting such a blatantly racist and disgusting opinion be shared on here. I'd report the post, but **** it... If hatred can be openly broadcast on here, critisism of said hatred should also be allowed.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Love how one of the first families to settle in Quebec and make significant economic, political and social contributions is still somehow less of a "Quebecois" than a French Canadian whose family may have even arrived later on, simply because the Molson's aren't Franco.

The fact that so many feel the same way (as you claim) is very discouraging to me. But, then again, it was the answer I expected to get back, so my fault for asking I suppose.
I agree, the Molsons are to me as Quebecois as I can be. (But you are in Toronto SOLR! Yes, maybe, but I'm from Quebec City and my native tongue is French.)

When it comes to Peladeau there's more than just the language thing going on, theres the cultural production machinery of TVA. I think that's what people are talking about more than the language. PKP has the power to have a cultural impact nearly as much as the prime minister of Quebec. Associate that with the cultural power of hockey and suddenly you have the stuff you write books about.

Last edited by SOLR: 03-26-2012 at 08:06 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I welcome them back with open arms... So that we can club them over the head with hockey sticks. I was too young to truely appreciate the rivalry before they moved to Colorado, but I am well versed in the history and cultural importance of the rivalry. I want the Nords back in the NHL just as much as I want a Stanley Cup in Montreal.

While I do believe that Montreal would stand to lose some revenue, the overall greater good would be accomplished for the game in general. It would be another intense heated rivalry. So intense, in fact that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the rivalry between Montreal and Toronto became almost non-existent again like it was during the Nords first tenure. Montreal would have Quebec and Boston, Toronto would have Ottawa and Boston.

As for Geoff Molson not being a true Quebecois because he wasn't born a Francophone, frankly, shame on those who share that view and same on the people running this board for letting such a blatantly racist and disgusting opinion be shared on here. I'd report the post, but **** it... If hatred can be openly broadcast on here, critisism of said hatred should also be allowed.
I don't know how that could happen...both will be immensely profitable and the habs will see a boost in earnings, they just have to double the price for any games vs the Nords. They will also see a big rise in merchandising as the rivalry spurs consumer spending.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
BobLoblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I agree, the Molsons are to me as Quebecois as I can be. (But you are in Toronto SOLR! Yes, maybe, but I'm from Quebec City and my native tongue is French.)

When it comes to Peladeau there's more than just the language thing going on, theres the cultural production machinery of TVA. I think that's what people are talking about more than the language. PKP has the power to have a cultural impact nearly as much as the prime minister of Quebec. Associate that with the cultural power of hockey and suddenly you have the stuff you write books about.
That's a fair explanation, and I get that to a degree. Just a pet peeve of mine to see Anglos considered as second-tier/not Quebecois when their families are well-entrenched in the province.

I'll put an end to this discussion now, before it degenerates into a political one.

At least we're all united on focusing on the #tank.

BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
The tv ratings for the canadiens on rds will be lower every time the nordiques are playing on the same nights has the habs. Because of that the tv revenues for the canadiens will be lower.
Did it occur to you that the TV ratings for le Nordique will suffer every time one of their games is broadcast at the same time as one of le Canadien? Québec is a much smaller city and the Nords would have a narrower base. In addition, fans outside PQ would be less likely to watch them. They'll be the Islanders of Canada.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:55 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
No one in Montreal cares about Quebec City. If they have a team? Good for them, we will hate them and pulverize them on the ice.
Pretty strong words for team whos at the bottom of the barrel

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:00 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
The Habs are one of the safest investments in the province. Sure they'll lose fans, but every game will still be a sellout. Look at the Leafs. Did anything happen to them when The Sens came in?

Plus, if you think Winnipeg and Edmonton have a tough time attracting free agents, who the hell is going to go play for Quebec city?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:30 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
The Habs are one of the safest investments in the province. Sure they'll lose fans, but every game will still be a sellout. Look at the Leafs. Did anything happen to them when The Sens came in?

Plus, if you think Winnipeg and Edmonton have a tough time attracting free agents, who the hell is going to go play for Quebec city?
Toronto and Ottawa are more than 4 hours 1/2 drive apart....

Quebec and Montreal, only 2 1/2 at the most.

Once again Inglewood jack, you're showing your true colours....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Do you really think the Nordiques will draw a huge following in Montreal?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Pretty strong words for team whos at the bottom of the barrel
At least Montreal has a team.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:17 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Real Canadiens fans won't leave and do not care about bandwagon fans in Quebec City.

Those saying this will affect the Habs negatively are in the woods.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
coolasprICE

The nords have the potential to surpass the habs in popularity in time... Especially if they win with a francophone core of mgmt and players

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote