HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

let the FCC know you want CSN Philly >>

Old
03-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

vCash: 500
I'm actually curious about this because next year my apartment up at State is switching to Direct TV. Not being big on dish service and not really following this process, does this mean that I will lose CSN Philly and have to pay extra for the NHL Center Ice package?

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

i think state college is in the FLyers market.

If you could provide a zip code where you are going to be I can get a true answer for you.

Games on NHL network will also be blacked out, but You are in the penguins market to.

so flyers games on that network you will get.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

It depends. When you have Comcast ironically, all Flyers games are blacked out, sixers and phillies games are allowed. I have Winstream currently because I have CSN Philly and only get blacked out during the postseason. I also have ROOT Pitt so we are technically in both markets I guess.

SC Zip = 16801

EDIT: Pens games are never blacked out so I would assume it is the Penguins market.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
PHILOUDELPHIA

I'm on directv site, when I enter 16801 this is what i get for local channels

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packPr...uestid=1471070

its apart of the johnstown - altoona area.

below is the link for the sports networks in your area.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=3450006

16801 says your in the pirates penguins market but you according to comcast in philadelphia aswell as Pitt.

however, I just saw the channel lineup for comcast in that zip,

they are providing CSN Philadelphia and TCN both in HD as well as Roots Sports.

probably because you are in the flyers and sixers market.

so If you plan on watching philly teams you will need comcast or a cable provider that has it.

Directv you will be blacked out it seems.

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

So if I purchased Center Ice package I should be fine except when games are against Pittsburgh on ROOT when I would have to watch those **** jugglers?

Old
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Problem is my apartment is providing it for free so I won't have access to that. I was thinking about just buying Center Ice but 80 bucks for me just to watch the Flyers and then pay an additional charge for the MLB season pass to just watch the Phils seems a bit ridiculous.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So I just got set up with DirecTV in my new house. I was planning on getting Comcast as well to beat the system and watch Flyers and Phillies, but I just found out that my area of South Jersey is considered the NY area so I get NY channels, not Philly channels. Does anyone out of market have MLB Extra Innings or Center Ice and if so is it worth it (like are the games usually on and in HD and are they Philly feeds)? The price (spread out over a year) for the sports packages is a few dollars cheaper than it would be to get Comcast but if the games aren't in HD or aren't always on or something I'd probably stick with Comcast.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Does anyone out of market have MLB Extra Innings or Center Ice and if so is it worth it (like are the games usually on and in HD and are they Philly feeds)?
i have both, even though I live near the WW Bridge.

if you want EVERY game, they are worth it. i don't have HD. 95% of Phillies / Flyers games are opponent's feed

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i have both, even though I live near the WW Bridge.

if you want EVERY game, they are worth it. i don't have HD. 95% of Phillies / Flyers games are opponent's feed
Good deal. I would prefer home-team feed, but as long as I get to see them I'm happy. It's tough to watch every Phillies become because of the number of games, but I'd pay the $35/month or whatever it is to have the option to watch whenever I feel, rather than the handful that are on national TV.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-28-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old
03-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

if you ONLY watch 162 games, it comes out to $1.32 per game for MLB

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I guess I'll invest in a sling box because there is no way I'll be able to afford both MLB and NHL packages and pay to watch every team when I only care about Phillies and Flyers. Seems ridiculous that a satellite can't pick up sports channels from anywhere in the world because I live just inside a "Pittsburgh" market.

Old
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
I guess I'll invest in a sling box because there is no way I'll be able to afford both MLB and NHL packages and pay to watch every team when I only care about Phillies and Flyers. Seems ridiculous that a satellite can't pick up sports channels from anywhere in the world because I live just inside a "Pittsburgh" market.
It's the contracts they sign with the teams that only allows them to broadcast to a certain market, it's not the satellite providers decision.

And the false address thing is a violation of the DTV terms of service, so I think the "middle of the road' is more 'you have to pay the termination fee and get banned from having DTV for some length of time'.

I contacted them specifically and asked about this practice, and they said they were aware of it and they were planning on implementing software upgrades that helps them prevent this (i.e., you have to connect to a phone line to get the package and if it's not from the right area code, you lose the service entirely until you contact them to fix it).

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Here is the site rule in question:

"8) Warez: Do not use these forums (this includes Private Messages) to swap/sell/buy illegal software (or other illegal materials), to arrange swapping, or to solicit advice to circumvent copyright protection. No linking to "underground" or "pirate" sites to get copyrighted materials, or asking for said sites. This includes FTP servers, websites, and the like. Soliciting invites to said sites is not permitted. Discussion of widely-known, established file sharing services (such as Kazaa) or websites (Digital Archive Project) is acceptable.

I may need to clean this thread out. However, it will not be closed down completely.

Edit: OK. Cleaned up. For the last time, no more discussion on evading blackouts via illicit means.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-28-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Here is the site rule in question:

"8) Warez: Do not use these forums (this includes Private Messages) to swap/sell/buy illegal software (or other illegal materials), to arrange swapping, or to solicit advice to circumvent copyright protection. No linking to "underground" or "pirate" sites to get copyrighted materials, or asking for said sites. This includes FTP servers, websites, and the like. Soliciting invites to said sites is not permitted. Discussion of widely-known, established file sharing services (such as Kazaa) or websites (Digital Archive Project) is acceptable.

I may need to clean this thread out. However, it will not be closed down completely.

Edit: OK. Cleaned up. For the last time, no more discussion on evading blackouts via illicit means.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...oadcast-access

I suppose this sorta fits here.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yeah. Could be a game changer.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Yeah. Could be a game changer.
Yeah it's gonna be an uphill battle though. I think plaintiffs best hope is a settlement. Antitrust lawsuits allow for treble damages which could potentially really hurt the NHL which could scare them out of going to trial. The NHL will probably claim that they are a single entity and therefore can't violate the antitrust rules, but that argument doesn't really work in the sports context (or at least hasn't). Then it all comes down to if the anti-competitveness aspects outweigh the pro-competitive aspects. Should be interesting because it is fans suing the league not teams or other businesses.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Talked to my professor earlier today (this is my second "talked to a source" post of the day, sorry) and he said he thinks the plaintiffs are going to run into some standing issues on top of the other hurdles they will have.