HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread II

Old
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
ZJames

vCash: 500
So does shore get to join Manchester now?

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:09 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
So does shore get to join Manchester now?
If he leaves school....which isn't likely to happen.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:20 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
If he leaves school....which isn't likely to happen.
Ah. I actually didnt think about that.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:58 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Also, completely forgot Joel Lowry is a prospect of ours at Cornell. For anyone bored and want to watch his team lose to Michigan, it's on channel 208 for DirecTV and whatever ESPN Classic/ESPNU is for other providers. So far, he's looked good. Not great, but done a few things well so far. 1-1 after a BS no goal call when Michigan scored.
Yeah, about that

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
KingLB

Forbort moving on.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Forbort moving on.
Playing vs Minny on ESPNU right now.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Yeah, about that
Die.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
KingLB

Anson Carter doing the intermission report!

Old
03-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Derek Forbort is looking for his jockstrap, he got burned badly on Minnesota's 3rd goal.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Derek Forbort is looking for his jockstrap, he got burned badly on Minnesota's 3rd goal.
Yea, after a pretty solid game, he got wrong footed/turned real bad.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He bit hard on a little juke, then failed to clean up in front of his own net with the puck sitting there for an easy goal for the Gophers.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
He bit hard on a little juke, then failed to clean up in front of his own net with the puck sitting there for an easy goal for the Gophers.
So, you are saying we have a taller jack Johnson?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
So, you are saying we have a taller jack Johnson?
I'd say the Kings would be lucky if he develops into that.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Minnesota is on their way to the Frozen Four. 4-1 Gophers.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Yeah, that looked awful. He's been good otherwise. Definitely inconsistent.

What a hard prospect to get a read on.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Ridiculous that Minnesota gets to play at home in a regional. But money talks. Both in ticket sales and travel costs.

Strange FF indeed this season. Two traditional powerhouse programs and two upstarts.

I'd be shocked if BC doesn't win it all pretty easily, just a loaded roster. Although I thought the same about the Sioux last year.

It is good for college hockey to have the Goofers back in the FF, but I still say no fringe 2/3 seed should play at home.

Now lets try and sign JT Brown

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Forbort was awful to start the year but had a solid second half before this hiccup tonight. Bad games happen, even for good players (see Jon Merrill on Friday).

Next year he needs to continue his progression and take that next step where he starts to take control of games. I really hope the Kings don't do something stupid like try and sign him, he will get eaten alive in the AHL. I actually think two more years in Grand Forks is the best bet, he'll be 22 and should be ready by then to step in and contribute for a season or two in Manchester.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:38 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Forbort was awful to start the year but had a solid second half before this hiccup tonight. Bad games happen, even for good players (see Jon Merrill on Friday).

Next year he needs to continue his progression and take that next step where he starts to take control of games. I really hope the Kings don't do something stupid like try and sign him, he will get eaten alive in the AHL. I actually think two more years in Grand Forks is the best bet, he'll be 22 and should be ready by then to step in and contribute for a season or two in Manchester.
Don't want a Schultz situation....one more year is just enough imo

Old
03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

I wouldn't agree with this, he just struggled with consistency from game to game. His positional play can use some work at times still and he could be a bit more aggressive in the offensive zone. When he got paired with Blood though in the 2nd half of the year he really took off and it all came together in the WCHA Playoffs. He was simply dominate in the 3 game stretch and was easily the best defender on the ice. His strech passes have gotten significantly better, he is starting to use his body more effectively, and his shot is improved. That weekend he had 5 points and was a +6 in 3 games.

That being said I do fully expect Forbort to play 1 more year in the NCAA to work on his consistency and work on his offensive play a bit more. I am expecting a huge year from him this upcoming season, he is right on track developmentally IMHO.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
I wouldn't agree with this, he just struggled with consistency from game to game. His positional play can use some work at times still and he could be a bit more aggressive in the offensive zone. When he got paired with Blood though in the 2nd half of the year he really took off and it all came together in the WCHA Playoffs. He was simply dominate in the 3 game stretch and was easily the best defender on the ice. His strech passes have gotten significantly better, he is starting to use his body more effectively, and his shot is improved. That weekend he had 5 points and was a +6 in 3 games.

That being said I do fully expect Forbort to play 1 more year in the NCAA to work on his consistency and work on his offensive play a bit more. I am expecting a huge year from him this upcoming season, he is right on track developmentally IMHO.
I agree completely with your assessment of Forbort. I have been saying the same thing all season so it is nice to see someone else doing the same.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:09 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Said it on draft night and will keep saying it, Forbort was a mistake. Etem, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov should've been the pick. We needed a winger or a forward at the time, but Lombardi loves stockpiling those defenseman. Didn't make sense back then and still doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully I'm wrong

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:22 AM
damacles1156

Lombardi probably would have not picked any of those Forwards.

It would have been something out of left field most likely.

Forbort is just fine so far.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Another update on Toffi

His two way game has come a very very long way this season. He is rapidly becoming an exceptionally gifted player who should be NHL ready sooner rather than later. Some people still seem to think that he is the same player we drafted but I hope that I can assure you that he definitely isn't.

TT is loaded and about ready to hunt in the NHL. I would like to see him in Manch next season but if he makes the team I wouldn't be surprised.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Well according to some Ottawa fans who of course get to see the 67's on a regular basis, there are at least 3 if not 4 other players on that team who have a brighter NHL future.

Of course after they drafted Shane Prince things got worse because he suddenly was the biggest talent on the team. Still, dont know who to believe anymore. Of course I take the opinions of internet fans with a grain of salt but it is remarkable.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 03-31-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Said it on draft night and will keep saying it, Forbort was a mistake. Etem, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov should've been the pick. We needed a winger or a forward at the time, but Lombardi loves stockpiling those defenseman. Didn't make sense back then and still doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully I'm wrong
That might be the epitome of the BPA vs need argument. Etem is putting up great stats in juniors, but there are still questions about whether or not his game will translate. I thought a lot of folks were jumping the gun earlier this year by saying Etem was better than Brett Connolly (who put up similar numbers in the WHL last year) because the latter wasn't lighting the NHL up.

The Russian factor scared teams off of Tarasenko/Kuznetsov. Washington might not even get Kuznetsov for next season either and the KHL seems like it's making a concerted effort to keep its high profile youngsters.

GMs get a little too much/credit blame for picks. They get input on the top tier of guys, but they lean on the scouts for the decisions. At last year's draft, the Kings table made a couple picks while Lombardi was in the stands talking to Don Meehan about Drew Doughty.

Lombardi said the initial plan was to trade back, but Forbort (ranked in their top 10) was unexpectedly available. Trading 19+59 for a top 10 prospect seemed logical. Even with the stockpile on defense, that would enable a future trade. St. Louis taking David Rundblad in 2009 didn't make any sense either with Erik Johnson and Alex Pietrangelo as young RH D patrolling their blueline. A year later, they were able to trade Rundblad for the Tarasenko pick (and would trade Johnson eventually too). St. Louis would have ended up with an inferior forward prospect if they had pigeonholed themselves in 2009.

I understand where you're coming from though. But give Forbort time, most thought he was pretty raw at the time of the Draft. Plus his scouting report didn't seem to suggest he was a top offense D in the making, so he's not going to win people over by his stats.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote