HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle Appreciation Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
Thats pretty much how I feel. When Pronger was healthy Carle was ace, he worked well with Pronger in a way Coburn and Mesz couldn't because of their game styles. None of Carle, Coburn and Mesz are legit no.1 guys so personally I'd keep Carle over the other two because he has more upside in the right pairing. To be paying all 3 of those guys $4m plus is ridiculous though, someone will have to go and I hope it's not Carle. I like them all but I'd lean towards shipping out Mesz...
Let's see what happens with Pronger. If he never comes back, we can keep the current top 4. If he does, we have to decide on Carle vs. Meszaros, in which case, we'd need to extend Mez as soon as possible or it won't work.

The other option is that, if Carle really loves Philly, he'd sign a one-year deal at the same salary, on the promise of a big raise after Timonen's contract is up. Even if Kimmo decides to come back, he's not getting $6.5M again...They can split the difference and make 4.5 each...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Meszaros is signed for another 2 years after this one. They can't work on another contract with him yet..

One thing the team has to do if they want Carle to stay is get rid of some of the junk on this roster. Walker and Lilja are almost $2.5M put together. Completely unnecessary. Jody Shelley goes without saying.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'd love to keep Carle if it finally means shedding Shelley, dropping Lilja somehow, and keeping Walker down. It would require Holmgren to be somewhat responsible with the contracts he hands out though, so it's unlikely

12-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Meszaros is signed for another 2 years after this one. They can't work on another contract with him yet..

One thing the team has to do if they want Carle to stay is get rid of some of the junk on this roster. Walker and Lilja are almost $2.5M put together. Completely unnecessary. Jody Shelley goes without saying.
Thanks, I couldn't remember if Mesz had one or two years left. Walker is easy to get rid of via waivers, Shelley too. I actually like Lilja's vet presence and toughness, he's a good no. 7 D, someone you can sit without wasting a kid's development. Whether Jagr wants to come back, and for how much is the other factor on cap room for Carle.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

Since Pronger has gone down he really has been a stud on the back-end and is having another great game tonight IMO

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Since Pronger has gone down he really has been a stud on the back-end and is having another great game tonight IMO
This. x100

You could say the "great game" part about pretty much every single one of his last 10 games. He is a beast back there right now. He's been our best defenseman on the ice (yeah, even better than Timonen).

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
nuclear reactor

At this point I'm only showing up at hfboards every day hoping for the outrageous outrage by the silly nannies around here when Carle is signed to Coburn's contract. I'm going to enjoy every second of it, and I don't even like Carle that much!

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
What, just because he logged more ice time than All Star Duncan Keith in a big Flyer win?

And Meszaros had the most ES ice time in the game. Well done in Kimmo's absence, lads. Bourdon had almost 20 minutes too, one of his best games, despite the Toews theft...

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...2/ES020587.HTM

Old
01-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

We've seen this from Carle constantly. Play well for a while, then suck terribly for a while. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Kaktus*

If we do not get Suter or Weber I would keep Carle. He proved that he can play without Pronger.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
At this point I'm only showing up at hfboards every day hoping for the outrageous outrage by the silly nannies around here when Carle is signed to Coburn's contract. I'm going to enjoy every second of it, and I don't even like Carle that much!
Ohh you such a badass! You want the organization to do something stupid o a few forum people get angry. Nice. Good to see you care about the team.

But anyway, no Carle has not been better than Timonen, but he has been better overall as of late. Hands down right now Kimo is the better defender. Now that Kimo might be hurt for abit... we might run into some trouble. Carle needs to play even better.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We've seen this from Carle constantly. Play well for a while, then suck terribly for a while. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
this.

and even when he has "great games" he's still prone to mistakes

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:22 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Oddly I have tried showing this before. But Carle plays better when Pronger is out. In both point production and +/-. I'm not sure about his corsi though.

Maybe when he is out there with Pronger, he feels more a liberty to take bigger risks when pinching etc?

Carle still sucks at hold the Blue line, which is where most of his horrible turnovers happen.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
DUHockey9

I'm really not a Carle fan, but I will admit he's been quite solid almost all year. He has his blunders, but I think he's earning his keep.

With a fully healthy D corps, I believe he is expendable. With the current situation, he is necessary. Moving into Free Agency, I don't believe he is worth any more than he is making right now, but he will more than likely get quite a bit more (hopefully not from us...although we have to see what happens with Pronger).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But anyway, no Carle has not been better than Timonen, but he has been better overall as of late. Hands down right now Kimo is the better defender. Now that Kimo might be hurt for abit... we might run into some trouble. Carle needs to play even better.
No, for the past 10 games, Carle has clearly been better than Timonen. Timonen was beaten like a mule a couples times in the Winter Classic, he caused the 2nd goal last night by knocking Bryz's stick away and getting deked, and he's had a couple other blunders.

Carle hasn't had any of these such plays... he's really limited the turnovers and stupid moves and played really, really solidly.

Is Carle a better player? Absolutely not... Timonen is a stud... but Carle has been the better player for the past 10-15 games.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Oddly I have tried showing this before. But Carle plays better when Pronger is out. In both point production and +/-. I'm not sure about his corsi though.

Maybe when he is out there with Pronger, he feels more a liberty to take bigger risks when pinching etc?

Carle still sucks at hold the Blue line, which is where most of his horrible turnovers happen.
When Pronger is out he is no longer facing the best offensive talent the other team has, that responsibility ends up falling to Kimmo and Coburn. Part of the problem with Carle was that the other team would always try to take the puck in past Carle, or dump it in on his side so they wouldn't have to deal with Pronger as much. When you're going against the best guys in the league and that's the case (and you're Carle), you're going to get abused. That isn't really happening anymore.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Another solid performance by Carle. While he did get easily shoved aside once and had that mind-numbing turnover right after Coburn, those were his only bad plays that I noticed. He did a lot of good on defense today.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Another solid performance by Carle. While he did get easily shoved aside once and had that mind-numbing turnover right after Coburn, those were his only bad plays that I noticed. He did a lot of good on defense today.
I had a heartattack on those plays you mentioned lol.

He moved the puck well today.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Meh, I thought he was really out of position on that Butler goal... but he certainly wasn't the only one on that.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Go For It

Need characters

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

Need characters
I see what you did there. And he made an awful unforgivable play, but I hope you're all aware that Carle is like our 3/4/5 defenseman depending on the health of our defenseman. Considering that he's pretty good, better than most at that point of the depth chart.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Krishna

Nothing like gift wrapping teams goals when you are down late.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Carle isn't bad but that play was just absolutely horrific.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Carle has built up a lot of good will in the last 3ish weeks or so, and that mindfart did away with a lot of it. Hopefully he responds with a good game.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Danglous

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote