HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our defense- Light at the end of the tunnel?

Old
03-26-2012, 11:08 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Our defense- Light at the end of the tunnel?

This conversation was started in the Around the NHL thread but since I did the research and thought it was interesting enough to start a thread on. As I was saying in the other thread, we've been allowing very few shots this month. I could only recall 3 games where we gave up 30+ shots in a game. I was right on both counts. I bet this is probably the fewest shots on goal on average that we allowed all season. I won't do THAT kind of research but I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. The following are the shots on goal that we allowed in March:

That's an average of 25.7 shots per game. That would be .6 shots per game less than St. Louis is giving up on the season (they allow the fewest).

However the quality of chances has gone up significantly. Seems like it's just been bad turnovers, bad pinching, and brain farts. Maybe our D hasn't been as bad as it looks after all. Now my question is if we cut down on the turnovers, bad pinching and brain farts could this D become better than ever?

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 03-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.
SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:20 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
This conversation was started in the Around the NHL section but since I did the research and thought it was interesting enough to start a thread on. As I was saying in the other thread, we've been allowing very few shots this month. I could only recall 3 games where we gave up 30+ shots in a game. I was right on both counts. I bet this is probably the fewest shots on goal on average that we allowed all season. I won't do THAT kind of research but I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. The following are the shots on goal that we allowed in March:

That's an average of 25.7 shots per game. That would be .6 shots per game less than St. Louis is giving up on the season (they allow the fewest).

However the quality of chances has gone up significantly. Seems like it's just been bad turnovers, bad pinching, and brain farts. Maybe our D hasn't been as bad as it looks after all. Now my question is if we cut down on the turnovers, bad pinching and brain farts could this D become better than ever?
wWe had some injuries, and guys are tired. I'm worried about Bickel and Erixon, come playoffs. The other guys will be great.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:24 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
wWe had some injuries, and guys are tired. I'm worried about Bickel and Erixon, come playoffs. The other guys will be great.
My point is that with those injuries and fatigue we still allowed only 25.7 shots on net. Maybe the defense wasn't as bad as it looked.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:27 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

This is why I hate using shots allowed as a factor in how good a defense is playing.

Anyone who has been watching this team lately knows that despite the low amount of shots given up, the quality chances given up have greatly increased.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:38 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
This is why I hate using shots allowed as a factor in how good a defense is playing.

Anyone who has been watching this team lately knows that despite the low amount of shots given up, the quality chances given up have greatly increased.
That's why this Corsi dorks are out to lunch. That said, allowing few shots is a goal for a defense and a positive trait. Maybe we can look at it positively in that if we limit the breakdowns we'll be tougher than ever to score on.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:19 PM
SnowblindNYR

Since I made this thread the Rangers held the Wild to 26 shots, the Jets to 24, and the Habs to 20. The average for the month of March is 25.3 shots against. That's 1.1 shots fewer than the Blues average on the season (they still allow the fewest in the league). Our D has allowed more chances in March, so it's been worse, but aside from allowing chances teams try to limit shots against. The Rangers D has been amazing at it in March. If we could just limit chances and continue allowing few shots, this team is going places.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:42 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, am I really the only person that finds it fascinating that we allowed 25.3 shots on goal in March? Especially given our troubles of keeping the puck out of our net.