HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The impact of the quebec nordiques on the montreal canadiens

Old
03-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Real Canadiens fans won't leave and do not care about bandwagon fans in Quebec City.

Those saying this will affect the Habs negatively are in the woods.
It will at first if the Habs are struggling like this, but one good season and it will all go away. Season ticket holders have been around for generations, there's a global fanbase in French, English other languages, and as the most important show in Montreal, the casual local fans are just going to continue to stop following hockey and not bandwagon Quebec when the Habs are having a bad year.

But the Habs are a tradition that go beyond Quebecois politics or what happens in Quebec City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
The nords have the potential to surpass the habs in popularity in time... Especially if they win with a francophone core of mgmt and players
Will they attract Bruins/Leafs fans such as yourself?

Last edited by Et le But: 03-26-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:24 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'm an Anglo-Québecer and I know who Ginette Reno is. Horrible singer and somewhat funny in Mambo Italiano. Want to know what else I know? Cheese and peanut butter sandwiches taste AWFUL. Wait, what does peanut butter and cheese sandwiches have to do with this thread? About the same as Ginette Reno.

I understand that when talking about les Nordiques de Québec's impact on the Habs, it is virtually impossible to keep language out of it. It's there and it always will be. But for the sake of this thread keeping afloat, keep it respectful in here. Stay on topic and if you can't steer clear of making this an Anglo-vs-Franco battlefield, then... I don't even know what I am capable of.
Somewhat funny and realistic.
But Ginette Reno is a great singer. Not that I listen to her stuff, but I'd actually listen a Ginette Reno album over a Celine Dion album. 11 times out of 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

In fact this is one of the reasons I can't wait for the Nords to come back, so the Canadiens can be the team of Montreal first again. The Nordiques already tried once to accuse the Habs of being an anglophone/federalist team, I'm not too worried about Habs losing their French speaking fans.
The Habs should be the team of Montreal first and foremost. Second, it should be like, open of everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I think it would be great for the rivalty.

I think it would be very bad for the habs, especially if it happens this quickly! A pathetic season like the one we just had would give plenty of people the incentive to switch. The timing couldn't be worst.
Terrific point as far as Habs are concerned. Don't want the Nords to be in the NHL next season, because of what happened this season.

However, it COULD be funny. At this point, I suspect there'll be LOT LESS of talks regarding French presence on the Habs (and with the Nords!) -- a lot of people actually arguing this point were probably never fans to begin with.

Unless the Nords really give the starting duties to Louis Domingue, which would pretty much spell disaster. Or spell Nathan MacKinnon. On second thought, would you please keep Mike Smith in its role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

While I do believe that Montreal would stand to lose some revenue, the overall greater good would be accomplished for the game in general. It would be another intense heated rivalry. So intense, in fact that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the rivalry between Montreal and Toronto became almost non-existent again like it was during the Nords first tenure. Montreal would have Quebec and Boston, Toronto would have Ottawa and Boston.
There was no rivalry simply because they were never playing each other... and that the Leafs were extremely bad.

Quote:
The nords have the potential to surpass the habs in popularity in time... Especially if they win with a francophone core of mgmt and players
Hummm... The only the Nords have such potential is if somebody screws up like Pierre Gauthier did.

But... actually, worse than the Goat. How could they grow bigger than Montreal?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
At least Montreal has a team.
Ouch

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:

Will they attract Bruins/Leafs fans such as yourself?
You're hilarious dude....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post

Hummm... The only the Nords have such potential is if somebody screws up like Pierre Gauthier did.

But... actually, worse than the Goat. How could they grow bigger than Montreal?
Sure the Habs will always retain their core of followers, but lets face it, most of the population aren't die-hard fans. They're bandwagon fans, and the habs profit in the fact that they're the only show in town and the only team that these people will likely relate to (there are exceptions). Also, french is the mother tongue for this particular segment, and one doesn't have to be a genius to realize that blue shirts with fleur de lyse symbols and francophone management and players is naturally more appealing to such bandwagon fans than the red Canadiens.

Throw in some success on the side of the Nords, it's extremely feasible that the Nords become the team people relate to, particularly bandwagon francophone fans throughout the province; which again, make up the majority of the market. Of course there are conditions, but in time, it's possible.

This is in addition to areas that are in close proximity to Quebec city and greater urban area, like Trois Riviers.

Of course, the counter argument is : if this is the case, why were they not bigger back in the day?

Answers - the struggles of the Canadiens over the past 2 decades, growth of hockey in general all over canada particularly with the casual/bandwagon fan (support/viewership/attendance of the NHL is way up ), and the novelty of getting the Nords back.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Marchy79

Great to see potential of that rivalry possibly resurging once again.

Some of the greatest Canadiens games of all time were Quebec-Montreal games... The intensity of their rivalry was huge.

That couldnt be bad for us, or for business.
Bring the nords back... But in no way would I be a happy man if Roy became their head coach... That would be worrisome. That would in fact hurt. sincerely.. lol...
I dont think I would like to see that at all in fact.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Lol. No.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'm an Anglo-Québecer and I know who Ginette Reno is. Horrible singer and somewhat funny in Mambo Italiano. Want to know what else I know? Cheese and peanut butter sandwiches taste AWFUL. Wait, what does peanut butter and cheese sandwiches have to do with this thread? About the same as Ginette Reno.

I understand that when talking about les Nordiques de Québec's impact on the Habs, it is virtually impossible to keep language out of it. It's there and it always will be. But for the sake of this thread keeping afloat, keep it respectful in here. Stay on topic and if you can't steer clear of making this an Anglo-vs-Franco battlefield, then... I don't even know what I am capable of.
I'm just saying it's two Worlds. And for the first time it's gonna be frenchies taking control of a NHL club.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Love how one of the first families to settle in Quebec and make significant economic, political and social contributions is still somehow less of a "Quebecois" than a French Canadian whose family may have even arrived later on, simply because the Molson's aren't Franco.

The fact that so many feel the same way (as you claim) is very discouraging to me. But, then again, it was the answer I expected to get back, so my fault for asking I suppose.
Oldest families living in Quebec yet never bothered to learn to speak french?

(except Goeff and his bros)

Old
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I welcome them back with open arms... So that we can club them over the head with hockey sticks. I was too young to truely appreciate the rivalry before they moved to Colorado, but I am well versed in the history and cultural importance of the rivalry. I want the Nords back in the NHL just as much as I want a Stanley Cup in Montreal.

While I do believe that Montreal would stand to lose some revenue, the overall greater good would be accomplished for the game in general. It would be another intense heated rivalry. So intense, in fact that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the rivalry between Montreal and Toronto became almost non-existent again like it was during the Nords first tenure. Montreal would have Quebec and Boston, Toronto would have Ottawa and Boston.

As for Geoff Molson not being a true Quebecois because he wasn't born a Francophone, frankly, shame on those who share that view and same on the people running this board for letting such a blatantly racist and disgusting opinion be shared on here. I'd report the post, but **** it... If hatred can be openly broadcast on here, critisism of said hatred should also be allowed.
See that's what it always comes down to, someone badly understand something and the discussion goes south. Nobody ever said The Molson were less Quebecers. Some people are really paranoiac just because someone(me) is happy that for the first time a french guy takes control of a NHL team.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
I want them back, but I am starting to hate the future Nordiques already

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

What's funny about the whole francophone / anglophone endless debate, and particularly about the part where some poster claims that if you don't know 'pure laine' culture you're not a real quebecer, is really mind-boggling.

I'm a pure laine, but I studied at Concordia, and the majority of Montreal's anglo community actually speaks fluent French. They 'know' some of Quebec's cultural big names and are usually much more educated than 'pure laines'. In fact, I think you can pretty much say that they are 'assimilated' to Quebec's ethno / cultural diversity. if they go outside Montreal, they sometimes will speak a better French than some 'habitants' from rural regions.

To think that Molson isn't a 'true' Quebecer is idiotic to say the least. Xenophobic to it's finest. And I consider myself a proud Pure laine and am a separatist from the bottom of my heart, because I believe that our culture is different from the RoC. but even in a separated Quebec, we'd have to let Anglos have their rights to go to english schools and etc.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
thom

Danny Dube has heard rumours that players have been told to start learning french that something might be happening.It was on tvasports and the old ckac web site

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
It's kind of funny. If the Yotes are the ones moving to Quebec, they would immediately lose one of their best players in Doan since he wouldn't go there for sure. A huge blow to begin with, awesome.
Yeah but then they would get Radoulov instead ! He said if the nords were to come back he would go back to Québec City. He loved it when he played for the Remparts.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Danny Dube has heard rumours that players have been told to start learning french that something might be happening.It was on tvasports and the old ckac web site
http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...-precisions-2/

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
Yeah but then they would get Radoulov instead ! He said if the nords were to come back he would go back to Québec City. He loved it when he played for the Remparts.
Nordiques fans are already reminding me of Leafs fans who think every Ontario native is willing to do whatever it takes to play for their home team.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Like I said on another thread, unless Molson doesn't turn this around culturally, I see Habs fans shifting towards being Quebec fans. And frankly, it won't be funny. You'll be attending Habs games and I envision seeing more Quebec fans than Habs fans. Slowly but surely, the Nords will influx a local flavor to the team without destroying it. Phoenix have a prett good base of players that will make them pretty tough to play against real soon. But the rivalry won't be there as much as it was before, because before there were a lot more local players on each team. And people would NEVER changed allegeance. While I don't believe it's the case right now. Since the Nords left, this Habs team have never been nothing else but dissapointing. And lately, they are dissapointing AND people aren't feeling attached to it as they once were. If nothing is done in that department, people will shift. And for whoever says good riddance, you are just downplaying the number of people who will. And are actually underestimating Quebecor which you should never do.

Personnally, I think that the greatest of news that the Habs could have had, was to see Quebecor buy the team and not Molson. That way, I don't see the Nords coming back that soon. And I tell you, the Nords coming back will have a way more negative effect than Péladeau owning the team. 'Cause for whoever didn't want Péladeau to own the team because he'd be just satisfied to make this team way too "local", well you'll see what Molson will do. And frankly, if Péladeau would have had a press release saying that he is deeply sorry about the Cunneyworth's hiring, most people in here would have called him all sorts of ugly names.

I will always be a Habs fan. Will never change my allegeance. But they better act accordingly and realize what the market is all about. Or let's say what the market will be about. Yeah, winning is the most important. But you don't win first and then build a team. You build first, and how you build it is key. And if you need time, well there's only one way to build it. You have to gain the confidence back. You have to make sure that those fans are proud to be associate with your team. You have to get some local talent in, the good ones. And then, you have to win.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
I agree. Don't forget that half the population of quebec lives outside of the great montreal area. But most if not all are hockey fans. If the habs keep showing up with teams like we saw this year for a few years while Quebec arrives with a brand new, frenchy heavy team, I would be that surprise is in term of number of fans, Quebec wins.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Nordiques fans are already reminding me of Leafs fans who think every Ontario native is willing to do whatever it takes to play for their home team.
Dude Radou is from Russia...he played in QC in the LHKMQ and stated countless times that it was his favorite city.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I agree. Don't forget that half the population of quebec lives outside of the great montreal area. But most if not all are hockey fans. If the habs keep showing up with teams like we saw this year for a few years while Quebec arrives with a brand new, frenchy heavy team, I would be that surprise is in term of number of fans, Quebec wins.
1- Avoid the word "frenchy". it is borderline a slur.

2- Where are they gonna take these French-speaking players ? They don't grow on trees. There is none forecasted in this year 1st draft round. It's gonna take time.

3- Last time I checked, the 1995 Nordiques (before being moved to Colorado) had only 4 local players on their team: Finn and Lefebvre on D, and Fiset and Thibeault in goals. They rarely drafted a French-speaking player with their 1st picks anyway. besides Michel Goulet, all their star players were from Europe or English Canada

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Dude Radou is from Russia...he played in QC in the LHKMQ and stated countless times that it was his favorite city.
I know that of course, but I love the thought that guys like Radulov will do whatever it takes to play in Quebec because they like the city. Radulov has already shown quite clearly he will follow the money.

I think it's as naive to assume that a happy experience in junior hockey will have any more impact than the "home" factor has on players from Ontario and Quebec.

I can see a Nordiques team going all out for Radulov because he's popular there, but the day he signs for the Nords because he likes living in Quebec is the same day Habs fan Sidney Crosby decides he's going to sign for the Canadiens.

I am looking forward to seeing Nords fans get their dreams crush when NHL realities mean their Remparts heroes snub offers to return to QC.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Rosetta stone for all.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
1- Avoid the word "frenchy". it is borderline a slur.

2- Where are they gonna take these French-speaking players ? They don't grow on trees. There is none forecasted in this year 1st draft round. It's gonna take time.

3- Last time I checked, the 1995 Nordiques (before being moved to Colorado) had only 4 local players on their team: Finn and Lefebvre on D, and Fiset and Thibeault in goals. They rarely drafted a French-speaking player with their 1st picks anyway. besides Michel Goulet, all their star players were from Europe or English Canada
Ok well sorry, a Quebec-heavy team then.

I'm thinking more on the long term. If years after year they make drafting Québécois a priority and eventually end up with a very "French" team. I know the 2012 draft is very poor for Quebec. But I heard the 2013 is suppose to be very deep.

The 1995 Nordiques are something of the past. You can't compare. Right now I think a lot of "Pure-laine" Québécois, right or wrong, want to see more French-speaking players.

Personally I couldn’t care less where the players come from, as long a we win, but I know a lot of people don't think this way.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Markovskaya

Quote:
I know that of course, but I love the thought that guys like Radulov will do whatever it takes to play in Quebec because they like the city. Radulov has already shown quite clearly he will follow the money.

I think it's as naive to assume that a happy experience in junior hockey will have any more impact than the "home" factor has on players from Ontario and Quebec.

I can see a Nordiques team going all out for Radulov because he's popular there, but the day he signs for the Nords because he likes living in Quebec is the same day Habs fan Sidney Crosby decides he's going to sign for the Canadiens.

I am looking forward to seeing Nords fans get their dreams crush when NHL realities mean their Remparts heroes snub offers to return to QC.
aaaah you might be right. But yet again, the Nords could make a competitive offer. His Junior crush for QC (And the Qc's women ) could make the diffrence for him don't you think ? Let's say you get offers from L.A. and Vancouver both for 6M$, but as a person, you hate rain. Where do you think you'll go ?

Anyways It would be nice for QC to have Radou back hehe..

Old
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Doubt it. People were saying the same thing back in the day. I grew up two blocks from Le Colisée. I remember when the Habs were in town half the place wore red jerseys. You don't just change teams because of ups and downs or because of Antoine Vermette and Gilbert Brule. Even if that was the case, we have the best franco of both teams right now with DD.

Last edited by DenverHabsFan: 03-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.
DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Et le But

Quote:
aaaah you might be right. But yet again, the Nords could make a competitive offer. His Junior crush for QC (And the Qc's women ) could make the diffrence for him don't you think ? Let's say you get offers from L.A. and Vancouver both for 6M$, but as a person, you hate rain. Where do you think you'll go ?

Anyways It would be nice for QC to have Radou back hehe..
I think whatever fondness he has for QC will be offset by taxes. It's not like he won't get the chance to go to Quebec a few times a year if he stays in the NHL.

Of course it could very well be a minor factor in his decision, but if anything it's going to be more that the Nordiques want Radulov because of his popularity there than the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Doubt it. People were saying the same thing back in the day. I grew up two blocks from Le Colisée. I remember when the Habs were in town half the place wore red jerseys. You don't just change teams because of ups and downs or because of Antoine Vermette and Gilbert Brule. Even if that was the case, we have the best franco of both teams right now with DD.
Exactly, the Canadiens are a generational thing at this point. The sort of people who embraced the Nordiques the first time around were not big Habs fans to begin with or already felt alienated by the team for whatever reason.

Did a 53 year cup drought make the dynasty era Islanders more popular than the Rangers? Only on Long Island, and since then it's split at best. The Rangers are still more popular than the Devils in North Jersey too. And the Rangers don't evoke even close to the same level of loyalty and cultural significance the Habs do.

Last edited by Et le But: 03-27-2012 at 01:00 PM.