HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

My take on the Avs

Old
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
dahrougem2

vCash: 500
My take on the Avs

Hi guys, relatively quiet when it comes to posting on here but I always read what you guys have to say, and love the points everyone makes, I just wanted to see what others thought in relation to my take on the avs for whoever would like to chime in!

After watching the Sharks game, there were some things I noted:

- We truly need a miracle in order to make the playoffs, which is most obvious to everyone

- Sacco continuously insists on playing the Hejda-O'Byrne pairing against the other teams' top line when clearly, they are never up to the task

- I didn't feel as though the McGinn/Stastny/Jones line had as bad a games as their combined -12 rating would indicate, though they didn't really seem to care much about the defensive zone tonight

- Downie, for the last couple of games, hasn't played the way he did when he first arrived here, and it seems like he is having trouble keeping up with the play alongside of Landeskog/O'Reilly

- I don't think Johnson was ready to return from his back injury, and his play showed tonight because of it. However, when fully healthy, I truly believe that he and O'Brien make a good pairing to match up against the other team's top line. They seem to have the hockey IQ that both Hejda and O'Byrne lack, especially Johnson, and I don't get why Sacco doesn't really trust him against the other teams' top line

- Even if Mueller is slow as hell, ANYTHING is better, right now, than matt duchene on the ice. I'm by no means saying trade Duchene because he's still young and having a real tough season, but it just looks as if he too came back from his injury way too early, and since he returned, he has seemed to mess with the chemistry that we had. I'm all for a Mueller/Olver/Hejduk line, and would rather Duchene sit up in the press-box for the time being to heal 100%

- Last but not least in regards to the season. Sacco, to be honest, hasn't done a terrible job with this team given the fact that they are still battling for a playoff spot; however, would the results be different with any other coach? I just wish he would let the guys use some creativity when they're attacking rather than emphasizing on dumping and chasing every single time. Yes we have some players who do this to a T, but players like Duchene, Stastny, Mueller, Hejduk, and even Jones are nifty offensive players and have to be given the chance to make some plays out there. And the fact that he also never changes his system irritates me, and most of the fans because we can all see that he is being outcoached, yet he does absolutely nothing to adapt, and I truly hope that this is the last time we'll ever see Joe Sacco behind an Avs bench again

Thoughts?

- P.S.: Flame away if you'd like lol I don't take it to heart, just want opinions

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:44 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
O'Brien does not have more hockey IQ than Hejda or O'Byrne.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:45 AM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

vCash: 50
Agree agree agree

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:46 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

vCash: 50
I disagree with your assessment of Hejda-O'Byrne.

They've been up to the task of shutting down the top guys most nights. I mean look at how rarely we get beat by the other teams best players. It's always the Mitchells and Korpikowski's that burn us.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:50 AM
jake07

i think downie his hurt in his shoulder not the same for this injury

jake07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:51 AM
LandoClog

I just got home from the game and I must say that I am hoping it is the last live game that I see Sacco behind the bench. I was actually hoping he slipped while walking to the bench before the game. Tonight we played like a team not hungry to make the playoffs. It was depressing. And you are right about the Obyrne Hejda pairing. Not a fan... Obrien needs to understand that he can't do the twists and turns like Duchene but at the same time he has to because our offense was not coming back to help the breakout all night... Very sad game to see tonight...

LandoClog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:51 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
O'Brien does not have more hockey IQ than Hejda or O'Byrne.
I believe he does. I mean, there are times when he makes the bone-head play in a game (or 3 to 4 of them lol), but he seems to understand and read the play a lot better than Hejda/O'Byrne, and is not hesitant whatsoever, which is what drives me insane when watching Hejda play

Old
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

I think its pretty obvious that this team needs miracle help to get into playoff. Then again, I think our defense system will need overhaul.

1)I see too many breakaways, 2-1, 2-0 against our goalie with no defender trying to take away pucks. I understand that they are trying to give the goalie a clear view but it put a lot pressure to the goalie.
2) Our defense hardly put pressure on the point shooter of opposing team. How many times Varlamov lets in goal when our own players screen him?
3) Our coaching staff while not doing bad, needing more experience/ seasoned coach. Western conference is tough, and if you want to save money on players at least spend a little bit more on the coaching.

Flame away!

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Good points all around.

O'Byrne/Hejda is for all intents and purposes our best shutdown pairing. And that kinda/sorta is the problem. We have too many defensemen who do the same thing. Too many big, burly guys and not nearly enough speed/puckmoving. To that end, I think it's time to move on from SOB this offseason. Good guy and I hate to see him go, but we need to make a substantial improvement to this squad in the offseason defensively. Whether that is from outside the organization or within remains to be seen, but O'Brien IMO has served his purpose.

I think Downie is playing hurt. Ever since that shoulder injury he hasn't been the same. But in any event, he and McGinn have cooled off after a ridiculously hot start. In any event I still applaud both trades because it got rid of guys who didn't want to be here anyway for gritty forwards who instantly made us a much harder team to play against.

The Mueller/Duchene dilemma is a tough one. I think Sacco is making the right decision in picking the faster, scrappier forward, but right now I don't think it makes a huge difference...neither player (nor Hejduk) is playing particularly effective hockey right now.

The whole dump-and-chase strategy is a necessity born of the fact that this team lost its transition game with the paradigm shift on defense. They need more mobility and speed on the blueline to allow themselves to capitalize on turnovers like they used to. So in short, he actually DID change his system when you think about it. The Avs certainly were not a dump-and-chase team when he first started with them.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:01 AM
BrooksBets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
O'Byrne/Hejda is for all intents and purposes our best shutdown pairing. And that kinda/sorta is the problem.
Our D core actually improved over last season so what does that say about how bad things were?

This team needs 2-3 considerable upgrades on D before we can even fathom making it to round 2 in a playoff bid. No idea how that's gonna happen, but hopefully guys like Guance/Siemens can make quicker than expected jumps. I don't see any answers in free agency...

BrooksBets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:11 AM
avsfan19

we will not make the playoffs, the games against PHX and VAN last week were the games we had to win

i believe the team will be better next year, which makes it easier to take that there will be no playoffs. Duchene will have his best year, and I believe we'll be adding some help on D over the summer. coaching change would be nice too

avsfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:34 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Good points all around.

O'Byrne/Hejda is for all intents and purposes our best shutdown pairing. And that kinda/sorta is the problem. We have too many defensemen who do the same thing. Too many big, burly guys and not nearly enough speed/puckmoving. To that end, I think it's time to move on from SOB this offseason. Good guy and I hate to see him go, but we need to make a substantial improvement to this squad in the offseason defensively. Whether that is from outside the organization or within remains to be seen, but O'Brien IMO has served his purpose.

I think Downie is playing hurt. Ever since that shoulder injury he hasn't been the same. But in any event, he and McGinn have cooled off after a ridiculously hot start. In any event I still applaud both trades because it got rid of guys who didn't want to be here anyway for gritty forwards who instantly made us a much harder team to play against.

The Mueller/Duchene dilemma is a tough one. I think Sacco is making the right decision in picking the faster, scrappier forward, but right now I don't think it makes a huge difference...neither player (nor Hejduk) is playing particularly effective hockey right now.

The whole dump-and-chase strategy is a necessity born of the fact that this team lost its transition game with the paradigm shift on defense. They need more mobility and speed on the blueline to allow themselves to capitalize on turnovers like they used to. So in short, he actually DID change his system when you think about it. The Avs certainly were not a dump-and-chase team when he first started with them.
After watching him this season, I truly have become a fan of SOB after not liking him during his tenures with vancouver and nashville. But that is because he seems to have completely changed his game, and seems a lot more mobile than he used to be. I would love to keep him around as the guys seem to love him too, and he is a very passionate hockey player, which is something you can't teach. The defense I see going into next training camp are:

Johnson
Hejda
O'Byrne
Wilson
Hunwick
Elliot
Barrie
Siemens
Gaunce

I would love to resign O'Brien to add him into that group, however I can envision him leaving Denver, but only because of the logjam on defense with the recent development of Matt Hunwick becoming superstar-esque

I would LOVE if this team managed to sign Ryan Suter, and keep O'Brien, and went into next season looking like this ideally in my opinion:

Suter-Johnson
Wilson-O'Byrne
O'Brien-Elliot/Barrie
Hunwick

That, however, creates a problem with Jan Hejda, who I can't see the avs moving because of his contract/age, and so ultimately, straying from my fantasy signings, I'd imagine O'Brien gets shown the door in favour of a d-core that looks roughly like this next year:

Hunwick-Johnson
Hejda-O'Byrne
Wilson-Elliot/Barrie

Anyone confident in that defense?

Old
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
freeboy

That game was tough, lots of mistakes...
and
All season, even in the "wins" we made a lot of unforced turnovers, bad choice passes and plays...
Much of this is due to team inexperience, as opposed to persponel inexperience... much of the team had not played together, and after we got Olver and Mueller back and added McG and Downie, most of the offensive pairing changed... and for the better.

Add a year and these go away...
As for Sacco, he is new... only third year, and honestly he may need to grow too, not sure how I feel, given we are in development mode and all the pundits picked us last in the west this year.
As for Duchy, he should not have come back... truly awefull seeing him struggle.
D is so much improved its not funny, we where terrible, notw we have a very respectable goals agains.. and if you take the few losses with 6 or more the numbers are more accurate... and look at the averages then and say, with some semblence of offence we would have beaten teams like Minn and not had that terrible start at home, again add time and these guys together will play better team "o" and " D".

I would like anouther top D man.... who wouldnt? If the avs fail to sign the younger guys in the off season that are restricted free agents I may be done .. the terribly low money spent on free agency left me cold, killed my thoughts of getting season tix and has me instead spending time in front of the tv in my cave...

Prospects for the future? Get one really outstanding two way d man...
lets see what shacks out of training camp.. and then lets get 100 points next year and finish 6th... did I say how much I hate the current three point system! lol

Last edited by freeboy: 03-27-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:28 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
All it will take is a Phoenix loss for Colorado to be in good position. If Dallas and Phoenix both win their next games, then yeah, the Avs are screwed.

San Jose plays Phoenix once, Dallas twice, and LA twice. Just pray the Sharks win out.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:32 AM
freeboy

if we win, out at 94 there is a chance to be in with the other teams falling appart

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote