HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jesse Spector from The Sporting News: A 5-Point Plan

Old
03-26-2012, 11:28 AM
jwolf

vCash: 500
Jesse Spector from The Sporting News: A 5-Point Plan

There are no blatant solutions presented here, but a decent read nonetheless.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...real-canadiens

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I prefer five year plans.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
There are no blatant solutions presented here, but a decent read nonetheless.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...real-canadiens
yeah. Let's bring back the Montreal Maroons !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
psychonaut

I like the David Jones idea we really need a 2nd line.
Not sure getting a better backup is really a important solutions.

psychonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i guess it's supposed to appeal to readers who aren't necessarily habs fans. the article didnt really say much, but it was a nice read nonetheless. made me miss gill too

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 03-26-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: i missed a w0rd
MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I prefer five year plans.
I prefer 10 year plans disguised in 5 year plans.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:28 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I prefer 10 year plans disguised in 5 year plans.
You stole that idea from Gainey.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Young Gun

Not buying into any 5 yr plans anymore, its win next season or i'm picking another sport to watch. Doesn't mean winning the cup, just be a respectable team with a decent winning percentage

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
I agreed with everything but the Cammalleri trade which I still like.

Cammalleri hasn't been anything better in Calgary and while I agree Bourque has been awful..I never considered him the main part of that deal. The 2nd rounder and the cap space to go along with Holland (109 points in 72 games) seem to be the real attractions to come back our way.

Therefore, I am still okay with that move.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post

Cammalleri hasn't been anything better in Calgary and while I agree Bourque has been awful..I never considered him the main part of that deal. The 2nd rounder and the cap space to go along with Holland (109 points in 72 games) seem to be the real attractions to come back our way.

Agreed!

He was also a little off with his comments about Budaj. He is under contract next season and will get more starts if the team plays better.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I agree with most of the things the writer had to say.

As for next season... really, who knows? I mean we could be back in the playoffs or back in last place. We've got a bunch of players ready to break out but still have huge holes in the lineup. It's all over the place right now.

I just hope we stick to building internally and patiently stick with our prospects.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Agreed!

He was also a little off with his comments about Budaj. He is under contract next season and will get more starts if the team plays better.
Totally, he says 2.42 gaa and .914 sv% is impressive for the starter of a last place team but then that 2.81 gaa and .907 sv% is unacceptable for the backup? Budaj hasn't been too terrible.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 06:24 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
I like the David Jones idea we really need a 2nd line.
Not sure getting a better backup is really a important solutions.
Trade Bourque for a draft pick and use his $$$$ to sign Jones? We gain better player and extra draft choice.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 06:27 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:

Good post... Cammy is oft-injured and a big cap hit. The pick is in deep draft and Holland looks better than we thought. Could he be another Timmins type late round steal? Bourque doubt will be with team long. Probably deal him for 3rd round pick.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Boring read, IMO.

Budaj is just fine. If .916 is far better than what you'd expect from a near last place team, what's wrong with .907? Seems like he's picking at straws.

The Habs would actually benefit better from no amnesty (unless I'm understanding it wrong - would we still only pay half the salary?). Send Gomez to the minors and hope he doesn't report. No cap hit and no salary paid out. If he reports, you gain a decent player for the minors to help the kids along - if he wants to be a bad influence, send him home.

Bourque has struggled this season, but it's a bit too early to give up on him, IMO. He scored 148 points in his last 211 games (which is a 58 point per 82 game pace). I'm more than comfortable giving him another season to see how he does - maybe put him with Desharnais to see if he can turn things around. Pleks is more of an all-around center rather than a pure playmaker like DD. Not to mention I'm a fan of the draft pick (we've had solid luck in the second round) and Holland is a nice prospect.

And maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think Gauthier has done that bad of a job unless he 100% knew Markov wasn't ready. Things happen though that change the course of things and a lot of NHL teams aren't deep enough to counter-act losing their best player for the entire season. For example, Winnipeg is probably a playoff team if they didn't lose Enstrom and Buff for a combined 40-games. Look at WWE (I know its different than hockey but the essence is the same) - they made Christian a huge part of Wrestlemania and the key ingredient in a 12-man tag team match only to find out he was behind schedule and can't compete at the event. If Gauthier was told by doctors that Markov would be ready to go in the first few weeks of the season, only to have this thrown on his plate - it's hard to blame him.

I love the Cole signing. I'm even more in love with the Gorges signing. I love the Pacioretty and DD signings (boy do they look great now for next year - both guys would be getting a lot more money otherwise). I'm a fan of the Bourque trade (even if I'm underwhelmed by Bourque's contributions so far) - and while I don't love the Kaberle trade, I don't hate it either (I think having Kaberle for a second PP wave is going to be huge for us next year when Markov is 100%). At the very least, I think he's done a better job than Gainey - lets see if he can get us a bargain on Subban and Price.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 03-27-2012 at 07:35 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Yea that's the most uninteresting article ever. Don't journalist have any imagination anymore? Do some research, come up with intriguing new angles to approach things. It's like these papers will hire anybody.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I agree with most of the things the writer had to say.

As for next season... really, who knows? I mean we could be back in the playoffs or back in last place. We've got a bunch of players ready to break out but still have huge holes in the lineup. It's all over the place right now.

I just hope we stick to building internally and patiently stick with our prospects.
I'm on the side that thinks that with a couple of UFA and a return to health this is a playoff team next year. No futures trades though (i.e. no 2013 1st for player X and no Leblanc for Clarke Macarthur type deals). Give Leblanc, Paloosh, Gallagher etc. a full year in Hamilton which will do more for their development than 7 mins a night on the 4th line in Montreal.

In fantasy land, shoot the moon for Suter to solidify the D, sign Parenteau ( a guy cited in spector's article who could add some scoring depth) and a proper 4th line centre and you have improved the team but still left the prospect pool alone. Then in the next couple of years you can ease out the veteran players (Gionta, Plek, maybe Cole) with young players ready to contribute in meaningful roles.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Bourque has struggled this season, but it's a bit too early to give up on him, IMO. He scored 148 points in his last 211 games (which is a 58 point per 82 game pace). I'm more than comfortable giving him another season to see how he does - maybe put him with Desharnais to see if he can turn things around.
I'd be leery of pairing DD with Bourque. I think DD's success this year has a lot to do with playing between Pacs & Cole - two dangerous wingers who both play physical and can create space for DD to work. Opposing D can't focus on one or the other. Swap Bourque in for one of those, and if he goes for a slump as he is wont to do, the D can focus on the other winger, and DD loses a lot of his effectiveness.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:27 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I'd be leery of pairing DD with Bourque. I think DD's success this year has a lot to do with playing between Pacs & Cole - two dangerous wingers who both play physical and can create space for DD to work. Opposing D can't focus on one or the other. Swap Bourque in for one of those, and if he goes for a slump as he is wont to do, the D can focus on the other winger, and DD loses a lot of his effectiveness.
I prefer looking at the number of tap ins he offered cole and pac ... and also, the timing and precision of his passes ... the way he carries the puck and uses the space to give the puck to a winger that is at full speed entering the offensive zone. Of course he benefited from a great year for both cole and max , but he made them better as well.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:

Absolutely agree

Regardless of Bourque's play, it was time for Cammy and his cap hit to go

With DD and Gionta already in our top 6, and Gallagher in the system and seemingly coming into the lineup within a few seasons, someone had to go. You can't have that many small guys fighting for the same minutes

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:20 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKarey Plekoretty View Post
Absolutely agree

Regardless of Bourque's play, it was time for Cammy and his cap hit to go

With DD and Gionta already in our top 6, and Gallagher in the system and seemingly coming into the lineup within a few seasons, someone had to go. You can't have that many small guys fighting for the same minutes
It's not like Cammy was really "fighting" for his job. How useless he was !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:08 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea that's the most uninteresting article ever. Don't journalist have any imagination anymore? Do some research, come up with intriguing new angles to approach things. It's like these papers will hire anybody.
Here's an angle: The Habs are now 29th in the league standings. The Hockey News ranks our prospect pool as 28th in the league. So, given a few years, the Habs might rise one place in the standings.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote