HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What happens to Roy in the Off-Season?

Old
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
What happens to Roy in the Off-Season?

With the emergence of Ennis and Hodgson playing well, Roy would seem to be the odd man out.

But with Ruff using 3 scoring lines, do you think...

A) he's traded in the off-season (feel free to elaborate on possible destinations/returns)

B) he's kept for this season and dealt at next season's deadline (again feel free to elaborate on possible destinations/returns)

C) he's re-signed, either this upcoming off-season, during next season, or after next season.

D) he plays out next season here and signs elsewhere in the off-season.

Personally I think it might be B, where he's kept for next season and dealt at the deadline unless an extension is done. Could see him going to a team that has injuries to their forwards and is trying to make the playoffs, but a slight possibility he's dealt this off-season. Florida really needs second line scoring and there are very few good centers out there in FA this season, and if they get a 1-2-3 combo next year of Weiss-Roy-Bjugstad with Huberdeau in the AHL developing his skills and improving his frame, they'll be much more competitive.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
questhockey

Keep him until trade deadline next year. If your in the hunt, keep him. If your out trade him to contender, and reap reward. Probably at least a 1st rounder. Ennis and Hodgson are young and need Roy`s leadership ability. Plus for low Cap hit he`s good insurance if one of the kids goes down with injury.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Girgenburger

offload him at the draft. please. i can't really take him anymore. while he might be doing alright as of late i think he will disappear in the playoffs should we squeak in.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
Keep him until trade deadline next year. If your in the hunt, keep him. If your out trade him to contender, and reap reward. Probably at least a 1st rounder. Ennis and Hodgson are young and need Roy`s leadership ability. Plus for low Cap hit he`s good insurance if one of the kids goes down with injury.
Bolded: Im laughing so hard at that comment. I want nothing to do with Roy leading probably our two most "skilled and hard working" players on the team(note: I said skilled AND hard working; we have a few guys that do either but not both, they are both) Bring in a upgrade, if you can, skill wise and physically too.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaSHian View Post
offload him at the draft. please. i can't really take him anymore. while he might be doing alright as of late i think he will disappear in the playoffs should we squeak in.
I think this is another thing. If he has yet another weak playoff performance (if they make it), and you see Ennis and Hodgson a least making attempts to step up their games, he could be dealt at the off-season. Again, I see Florida as a perfect destination for him. And he seems like the kind of guy who would enjoy the Miami-party lifestyle.

Especially if they could get a guy like Stoll in FA to cover the loss, someone who could center the 3rd line, kill penalties, and step up to the 2nd line in case of injuries, I'd be satisfied.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Biggest game of the year in six hours, and we're talking about the offseason. Ugh.

But, to answer your question, I think they keep him. Regier is all about value, and I don't think he'll get the return that he'd demand for Roy. If he doesn't get his asking price, he won't trade the player. Regier's price tag will be higher than the offers, so I think they keep Roy for his contract year.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Neither Ennis or Hodgson has established themselves yet. Probably safe to say that Ennis will turn out well at C, Hodgson probably too but if either one of them struggles we are shot at C without Roy. The pace of Adam's recovery/development will probably have a lot to do with Roy's future. Unless this summer Buffalo acquires a top veteran C, or somehow drafts Grigorenko, Roy probably needs to stay on the roster. He looks to be fully recovered and in top game shape, so having him truly healthy next season and in a contract year should be worth it. If they look to be a contender keep him and be willing to lose him for nothing in the summer of 2013.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
i agree with shipping him this offseason....he;'s a no show come playoff time...

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
I shudder to think about what Roy does in the off-season.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Roy as 3C is not something to give up unless it is made abundantly clear he's a bad influence. I don't think it's been made clear.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
The summer thread must not be on page one anymore.
Contract-year-Roy > Roy ?

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Biggest game of the year in six hours, and we're talking about the offseason. Ugh.

But, to answer your question, I think they keep him. Regier is all about value, and I don't think he'll get the return that he'd demand for Roy. If he doesn't get his asking price, he won't trade the player. Regier's price tag will be higher than the offers, so I think they keep Roy for his contract year.
It's still the Sabres page, and there's OT threads all the time, so if it pertains to the team, why am I not supposed to post it.

Sure, I'm excited about tonights game. With them this close, I want them to make the playoffs and do well. But they're not contenders and I think this off-season will be an important one for us, with Ennis being an RFA, Roy coming into the final year of his deal, and 4 top-50 picks in this years draft.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
i agree with shipping him this offseason....he;'s a no show come playoff time...
You mean like literally a no-show because he had a season-ending injury like last season? Or doesn't play well? Because if you mean the latter, I presume you also want to get rid of Vanek (lower playoff PPG than Roy) and Pominville (pretty much the same playoff PPG as Roy) too, right?

Old
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Roy as 3C is not something to give up unless it is made abundantly clear he's a bad influence. I don't think it's been made clear.
Exactly. At his cap hit he is one of the biggest bargains in the entire NHL (of players not on ELCs). You have to keep him for another season and figure out what to do about him at the deadline.

If Gaustad fetched a 1st rounder Roy would be worth at least a 1st and a 2nd if not a 1st and a good prospect.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

We finally have semblance of center depth with Ennis, Hodgson, and Roy. After the last 5 years I don't understand why people are so quick to want to get rid of that. If we trade Roy, I want an established NHL center back.

So I say keep Roy. If he has to be dealt at the deadline next year then so be it. But at least keep him until then. And maybe Adam or Sundher will show signs of being able to jump to the NHL level.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
You mean like literally a no-show because he had a season-ending injury like last season? Or doesn't play well? Because if you mean the latter, I presume you also want to get rid of Vanek (lower playoff PPG than Roy) and Pominville (pretty much the same playoff PPG as Roy) too, right?
only if you count the co-caps era... which would be odd... since they had different roles, less pressure, easier matchups....
the previous 4 seasons, have seen 2 playoff 1st round exits :

Vanek 8 pts in 10 games w/ 7 goals
Pominville 8 pts in 11 games w/ 3 goals
Roy 3 pts in 7 games w/ 0 goals

not sure why any other data would matter... unless you had an agenda

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
And what happens if the Sabres make the playoffs this year and the good version of Roy shows? Would he then be part of the solution? This is why it's stupid to judge people on a small sample of games. Forty-one playoff games should not trump 543 regular-season games.

Don't take this as an endorsement of Roy, though. I hope the Sabres can deal him for a good package and find another center option elsewhere.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
only if you count the co-caps era... which would be odd... since they had different roles, less pressure, easier matchups....
the previous 4 seasons, have seen 2 playoff 1st round exits :

Vanek 8 pts in 10 games w/ 7 goals
Pominville 8 pts in 11 games w/ 3 goals
Roy 3 pts in 7 games w/ 0 goals

not sure why any other data would matter... unless you had an agenda
Roy's role in the future would greater resemble to co-cap era than the past two trips.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
We finally have semblance of center depth with Ennis, Hodgson, and Roy. After the last 5 years I don't understand why people are so quick to want to get rid of that. If we trade Roy, I want an established NHL center back.

So I say keep Roy. If he has to be dealt at the deadline next year then so be it. But at least keep him until then. And maybe Adam or Sundher will show signs of being able to jump to the NHL level.
With 90% of the posters, getting rid of Roy has never been a hockey thing. Anyways, I agree with you. I can already see the threads 10 months for now if Darcy ever traded Roy for a prospect and went with Ennis and Hodgson as our top-6 centers:

"Why did we rely on two 40-point guys like Ennis and Hodgson to carry the mail as top-6 centers?!?!"

It just blows me away that people are always harping on the importance of centers and center depth, and as soon as we get it the question becomes how we get rid of one of them.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I look at it another way.....

I think CoHo and Ennis have established themselves as centers in the NHL, which is great. They play with more enthusiasm than our core, and I like that. The problem I see is that 19 & 63 are both on the smallish side, which is a problem when Roy is the other top center. 19 is not a midget but the other two are. I think we need to think in terms of shutdown type, and that would require Roy's spot. I can handle 19 & 63 being the offensive pivots but Roy as the shutdown one? Nope.

I'd look to package Roy and one of those 1st to get a bigger physically center so our top 9 isn't undersized.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Roy's role in the future would greater resemble to co-cap era than the past two trips.
If Ennis and Hodgson are truely ahead of Roy on the depth chart... then keeping him is pointless, better to trade him for a better 2 way center who shows up in the playoffs

Roy for Bolland+

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Bolland-Gerbe

Old
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
With 90% of the posters, getting rid of Roy has never been a hockey thing. Anyways, I agree with you. I can already see the threads 10 months for now if Darcy ever traded Roy for a prospect and went with Ennis and Hodgson as our top-6 centers:

"Why did we rely on two 40-point guys like Ennis and Hodgson to carry the mail as top-6 centers?!?!"

It just blows me away that people are always harping on the importance of centers and center depth, and as soon as we get it the question becomes how we get rid of one of them.
we are the correlation crowd remember

Old
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If Ennis and Hodgson are truely ahead of Roy on the depth chart... then keeping him is pointless, better to trade him for a better 2 way center who shows up in the playoffs

Roy for Bolland+

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Bolland-Gerbe
But anyone who looks at ice time would know that they're not.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
buffswords

Get rid of him. The arena would go from this , to this

buffswords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
But anyone who looks at ice time would know that they're not.
the person i quoted suggested they WOULD be
read, hence the use of the word "truely"