HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Knicks / Rangers TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2006, 09:13 PM
SickNice

vCash: 500
Knicks / Rangers TV Ratings

Does anyone privde me with TV ratigns for NY Rangers and NY Knicks games this year? I'm interested to see how the two actually compare....

Old
02-17-2006, 06:31 PM
shoothepuck

Don't have the ratings, but would guess that the B-ball has better #s. When you watch a Ranger game on MSG, you see a ton of basketball comercials, in the few Knicks games I've watched, I don't recall seeing that many Ranger ads.

Old
02-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Skroob*

makes me wonder, completely at random;

When stealing a television, would you also steal the Nelson box?

Old
02-18-2006, 12:47 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
i saw somewhere around a month ago that the average NYR rating was a .6 or something...i would guess the average knicks is low to mid 1's. Averages for anything other than football is just silly though. Obviously they're going to be low when theres 3-4 games a week, at 7pm on weeknights against some of the teams they play. who the hell wants to watch a rangers-panthers game 730 on a tuesday night besides HF. I'd like to know what the intra-division game ratings are.

Old
02-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I put zero thought into ratings after learning how they are determined.

Old
02-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
Exactly, they mean nothing.

Old
02-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Yizee*

Why do people watch the Knicks? if your looking for something for fun and entertaining to watch the last thing you want to put on is the Knicks... I still find it hard to believe they sell tickets and people actually watch them play live. They play like the Rangers when the Rangers had Messier its so pathetic

Those knicks commercials are so stupid and pathetic - talking about nate robinson skying high in the air and larry brown teaching defense and those stupid rap junk that comes on.... only the Knicks would worship a second round draft pick and make him sound like the #1 pick of the draft....

And John Davidson was a great goalie but you dont hear him complimenting himself every game like that moron walt clyde frasier does... I've never seen anyone worship themselves as much as frasier does plus all those idiotic rhymes he does during telecasts that get so darn annoying..... Why does anyone even bother turning on a Knicks game????

Old
02-18-2006, 01:34 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee
..... Why does anyone even bother turning on a Knicks game????
Variety.

A new starting lineup almost every game.

(I am soooo not getting Larry Brown these days.)

Old
02-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
How are they determined?

This is NY, the Knicks will always get a bigger audience than any hockey.

Old
02-18-2006, 01:55 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
makes me wonder, completely at random;

When stealing a television, would you also steal the Nelson box?

These are the great questions of life, grasshopper.

(It's Nielsen, though)

Old
02-19-2006, 02:01 PM
SickNice

Whether they "mean anything or not," that is how cablevision decides how to run games on MSG and MSG2. Years ago I beleive it was based on the home team, but now it seems more random, or specifically, always the Rangers.

Old
02-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Why do people watch the Knicks? if your looking for something for fun and entertaining to watch the last thing you want to put on is the Knicks... I still find it hard to believe they sell tickets and people actually watch them play live. They play like the Rangers when the Rangers had Messier its so pathetic

Those knicks commercials are so stupid and pathetic - talking about nate robinson skying high in the air and larry brown teaching defense and those stupid rap junk that comes on.... only the Knicks would worship a second round draft pick and make him sound like the #1 pick of the draft....

And John Davidson was a great goalie but you dont hear him complimenting himself every game like that moron walt clyde frasier does... I've never seen anyone worship themselves as much as frasier does plus all those idiotic rhymes he does during telecasts that get so darn annoying..... Why does anyone even bother turning on a Knicks game????

I agree completely, espically about those commercials.

FYI Nate Robinson was a 1st round pick

Old
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
in the hall

Quote:

additional FYI - did you see the slam dunk contest? no? oh then you dont know why they market nate

Old
02-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Fletch

Don't believe in ratings?

interestingly enough, that determines how billion of $$$s are spent, as well as why the Rangers don't play on MSG over the Knicks. So while we may not believe in them, they do affect us.

Old
02-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Balej20*

Quote:

Because it's very very easy for a simple minded person to follow, and ANYONE with one hand can play the sport, that's the key.

Not everyone can play hockey, so people cannot relate to it, so they do not watch. Plus, when watching hockey, you actually have to have a sharp mind to understand what's going on.

Also, the media's facination with this pop-urban culture, makes us all believe that basketball and basketball players are "Cool." People follow what the media tells us like zombies.

Old
02-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Fletch

I think that's part of it, Balej...

my friend from Ireland still asks about a couple rules - such as offsides and icing (forget about explaining the two line pass). Although basketball has a couple tough rules, such as illegal defense and three second vioalations. But, what I think it comes down to, is cost. The cost to play basketball is the cost of a basketball - which one of your friends have and can be used amongst 10 people. You're in school and there's always a gym, and basketballs - there aren't always sticks, pucks/balls and shin guards, etc. And of course, if you're in the 'burbs, most everyone had a basketball net in their friveway, as opposed to a hockey rink in the backyard.

Of course football's popular and the equipment costs are similar - but I'm sure many of us grew up having a nice size yard and a nerf, or Duke, or other football, which costs nearly nothing, and the interest develops. Hockey's tough for many to get into, unfortunately (or fortunately if you want to see games at reasonable prices).

Old
02-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Choice

Just look around the city. We probably all have public basketball courts within walking distance from our houses, while there is what, one indoor rink (chelsea piers) in the whole city? Plus chelsea piers is a ripoff

Old
02-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
Just look around the city. We probably all have public basketball courts within walking distance from our houses, while there is what, one indoor rink (chelsea piers) in the whole city? Plus chelsea piers is a ripoff
It costs a damn arm and a lag to get any kind of ice time in the city or on Long Island. Absolutely ridiculous. So of course, people are not going to get into hockey if they are unable to play it.

But I also strongly believe that if somehow the cost to play basketball was the same as it was to play hockey, people would still play basketball because it is, without question, an easier "sport" to play. Anyone at anytime can pick up a basketball and throw it into a basket. On the other hand, hockey takes an enourmous amount more skill to play. There is no debate on that.

Perfect example is a friend of mine. Absolute spaz when it comes to sports or anything athletic, BUT he was always able to play basketball and even made the school team. Another example is me. I do not enjoy playing basketball at all, as I find it to be extremely boring and pointless (just my opinion). But the other day on campus, I was asked to participate in a random pick up game, so I said what the hell. I was draining three's from all over and I NEVER play. That goes to show you how easy it is, I do not know a single person in the world who can just pick up a pair of skates and start playing hockey without EVER playing.

Old
02-19-2006, 11:38 PM
rickyrod

the city will be interested in hockey again if they rangers ever get good again. in the early 90s you could go down any street in brooklyn and find a bunch of kids playing street hockey. don't see it happening much anymore, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
there are public courts everywhere, but if you aren't good there are a lot of them not open to you(try getting into a game at w 4th courts).
as for rinks, there is abe stark in coney island too, but i'm not sure if you can play hockey there outside of a league, or if they even have a mens league.
actually, it's been about 10 years since i've been there. is that place even still open?

Old
02-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod
the city will be interested in hockey again if they rangers ever get good again. in the early 90s you could go down any street in brooklyn and find a bunch of kids playing street hockey. don't see it happening much anymore, though.
hahah I can't even imagine that happening now.

Old
02-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Choice

Quote:

there are public courts everywhere, but if you aren't good there are a lot of them not open to you(try getting into a game at w 4th courts).
as for rinks, there is abe stark in coney island too, but i'm not sure if you can play hockey there outside of a league, or if they even have a mens league.
actually, it's been about 10 years since i've been there. is that place even still open?
Not every court is West 4th. Plus most places have a few hoops you can play on.

Old
02-20-2006, 05:43 AM
Yizee*

yeah I watched nate robinson in the slam dunk contest he was more pathetic than chris anderson the year before - he missed dunk after dunk he shouldnt have even been in the contest to begin with... just because he was born small means he gets to be treated better? thats pathetic... stop feeling sorry for little midgets

Old
02-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
?
In the early 90s i was in a roller league in queens. 1st season, 93, there were 6 teams. 94, 8 teams. buy 96 there were 12 teams in the division.

Two years ago, they were down to four, and last season, the league didnt even run.

Closed Thread