HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle Appreciation Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

vCash: 500

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:49 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

whoever signs him to a lucrative deal in the offseason, I will venture to their board and burst out in laughter

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:58 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Carle has built up a lot of good will in the last 3ish weeks or so, and that mindfart did away with a lot of it. Hopefully he responds with a good game.
If he wants to suck the rest of the season I'm ok with it. At this point I just want him to be good in the playoffs.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Considering his ice time, I'm decidedly not OK with it.

03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Guys, I'm thinking about buying Matt Carle a few going away gifts. Does anyone care to donate to the cause?

Here are some ideas:

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Ryker

Well, he did publicly apologize to the teammates and the fans

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:08 AM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, he did publicly apologize to the teammates and the fans
I guess that's something, still doesn't change the fact that's been godawful lately.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:54 AM
OrangeCrush10

Maybe he uses this as a wake up call and plays lights out the rest of the season and playoffs. I hope so

OrangeCrush10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
I guess that's something, still doesn't change the fact that's been godawful lately.
I actually think he's been one of our more responsible d-men over the past few weeks. We've had like three breakaway goals against us over the past two games and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those were all brought to you by Coburn-Grossmann...or GrossBurn if you will.

And that doesn't count the breakaways that Bryz stopped.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:16 AM
DUHockey9

I'm starting to feel the need to defend Carle because of all the hate he is getting. I've wanted to trade him the past 2 seasons, but now I feel the need to defend him. He's a good player guys, whether you believe it or not. I don't think he's amazing by any means, but he's a good, quality, top 4 d-man. (Who I don't want to re-sign.)

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
BringBackStevens

Carle plays with zero passion. coburn gets a lot of flack for that but carle is way worse

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:29 AM
TheSpectrum

I’ve said this for years now and will continue to hit on the same note. Matt Carle is incredibly sloppy with the puck, specially on its own end. And his laziness/sloppiness is also a reflection of his physical game which is non-existent. No one is asking him to turn into a freaking freight train at the blue line but for crying out loud, if you are going to turn the puck over at least play with an elevated level of aggression and physicality. He is not a big guy but guys his size hit in this league (see Kris Letang). Carle chooses to play a two-hand touch game without the puck and is one of the main reasons I do not want him re-signed.

TheSpectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:31 AM
thelos
Bunk

Carle plays women's hockey for the most part

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Carle plays women's hockey for the most part
That's an insult to the game of womens hockey. I'm dead serious too.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm starting to feel the need to defend Carle because of all the hate he is getting. I've wanted to trade him the past 2 seasons, but now I feel the need to defend him. He's a good player guys, whether you believe it or not. I don't think he's amazing by any means, but he's a good, quality, top 4 d-man. (Who I don't want to re-sign.)
Honestly, I think Lavy overplays him. Lavy treats him like a #1 defender, playing the most minutes on the team, but that hurts him more then helps. The more time he plays, he seems to get tired in the 3rd to the end of the game, causing more turnovers and bad defensive plays. I remember last night, before the turnover he had a play where one of the TBL players easily skated around him, giving the Lightening a 3 on 1 against Kimo. Kimo did his slide/stick on the ice thing and block the pass to the front of the net, but if Carle didnt get easily beat like that, it doesnt happen.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:50 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Carle is a good D man..I think the criticism is a bit unbalanced and has turned into somewhat of a fad...

Having said this..to me the decision of whether to resign him rests on 3 main things

1) How he competes/performs in the playoffs

2) The money he wants

3) If there is a viable replacement available that plays as many minutes as him and does so pretty well all things considering (which includes having the shot of a spit ball and brain fart turnovers at inopportune times)

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Carle is a good D man..I think the criticism is a bit unbalanced and has turned into somewhat of a fad...

Having said this..to me the decision of whether to resign him rests on 3 main things

1) How he competes/performs in the playoffs

2) The money he wants

3) If there is a viable replacement available that plays as many minutes as him and does so pretty well all things considering (which includes having the shot of a spit ball and brain fart turnovers at inopportune times)
seriously, no

he shouldnt be brought back. PERIOD.

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Kaktus*

I see Carle is getting read for playoffs.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Adam Warlock

Carle can be an effective defenseman if hes used right. He has a very specific skill set and needs to be paired with the right partner for him to be able to excel at it. He is a good passer, an above average skater, and is good making defensive plays with his stick. With the right partner on a 3/4, 5/6 pairing, he can be a good depth guy.

The problem with Carle on this team is the organization is in love with the guy, and insists on him being used as a number 1/2 guy...and he is not good enough to handle that. He is small, not physical, has no shot, makes bad judgements on positing, and balks when pressured. By giving him top 2 minutes, and putting him in situations like PP and PK, those weaknesses are constantly exposed. Pronger took care of all of that, and allowed Carle to play to his strengths by focusing on outlet passes and jumping up in the play...which is why that pairing was successful.

I dont know what is with the Flyers. Jones and Therian were boarder line AHL guys but were treated as future HHOFs here...and it is the same situation with Carle. For whatever reason, Lavi insists on putting him in situations he can't handle.

I have no doubt in my mind that they will look to resign him, which is going to be awful since he makes too much already and will be looking for even more.

Adam Warlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
BillDineen

I have a longstanding deep hatred of Carle since I viewed him as equivalent to Randy Jones. Having said that, I liked that he stood up for a teammate a few weeks back and I recognized he does to some things effectively.

Carle, Coburn and Meszaros IMO are all prone to erratic behavior. All do have qualities. I prefer either Coburn or Meszaros to Carle.

The Flyers seem to really like Carle, as such, based on no knowledge of it or not, I assume they have offered Carle at some point the equivalent of Coburn's extension or close to it. Further, I assume Carle and his agent turned that down and hope for more money.

With Pronger out, that steadying factor is not always there. (Depends on how Timonen is playing). Grossmann brings consistent steady play. With Coburn and Mesz already signed, Grossmann is a must IMO and more important than Carle. 3 inconsistent core d man make 4-4.5 or more is not a good idea IMO.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I didnt want him back even with that gaffe last night. He isnt worth what he will likely get on the open market. The Flyers would likely have to overpay to keep him from hitting the market.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I didnt want him back even with that gaffe last night. He isnt worth what he will likely get on the open market. The Flyers would likely have to overpay to keep him from hitting the market.
Yeah. We don't need that.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
DUHockey9

Carle's partner doesn't matter. I'm fairly certain most of his statistics are equivalent, if not better, without Pronger. The argument is a fad. Carle is good, but he is not a #1; and he plays #1 minutes for us. He is very easily a top 4 defender on most every team. He's good. He just is. He's nothing overly special though, and I don't want him back.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah. We don't need that.
resign Grossman, take a look and see what Kubina wants on a short term deal. If he wants more then 2 years then let him walk IMO.
Not sure about Suter and or Weber. People want to pencil them into our lineup next season and I am not seeing it. Especially Suter. He will likely want to test the market and there are teams with much more cap space then we have who will likely be absle to sign him.
Plus I am not convinced Nashville is ready to let them both go.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Carle's partner doesn't matter. I'm fairly certain most of his statistics are equivalent, if not better, without Pronger. The argument is a fad. Carle is good, but he is not a #1; and he plays #1 minutes for us. He is very easily a top 4 defender on most every team. He's good. He just is. He's nothing overly special though, and I don't want him back.
Well, he performs better without Pronger because he isn't going against the best lines of each team every night. Which is fine, because he couldn't really handle that. He does well against the lower lines. For the last month or so he's been pretty solid.

I still don't think he's worth anywhere near 5 million a year.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote