HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#76 Kings @ Canucks, 3/26/12 = LOSS 0-1 Thoughts & Tidbits ... too little too late.

Old
03-27-2012, 07:56 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
So what the hell do the Kings do with Drew if he puts up another season (next year) of only 35 to 40 points.....
Get a rebate? Oops, I bet that clause isn't in his 8 year, $56M contract.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kings are 6-4 in their last 10 games. Nothing to get too excited about.

They just need to continue it and finish 4-2. Whatever points they don't get over the next 4 games is how many they need to get against SJ. If they go 3-1, they must get a split with SJ. I would like to see them go 4-0 and battle for the pacific in the final 2 games, with the loser still getting a playoff spot.

If they go 2-2, they will need to sweep SJ and I don't see that happening. 3-1 is the worst they should do over the next 4 games.

The Kings are the only positive team that is out of the playoffs. They are currently +11 and in 9th place. Win 4 and they should make it.

Even with this late season "push", if they don't make the second round, I would fire everyone.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

That 2nd powerplay - 15:27 VAN David Booth : Holding the stick - was golden.

Not one Kings player was able to control the puck.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

4-2 gets the team into the playoffs, likely as the #8 seed.

5-1 gets them the Pacific.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
nocturn

Guess I picked a good night to take 2 valium and pass out for 15 hours straight. Woot! Maybe I should take 4 tonight and pass out till October. Hmmm...

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I've had a long time to simmer down and think about the game tonight, what it means and what it doesn't, and, well, could only come up with this.

If, and I do mean if the playoffs aren't on the cards, I truthfully won't know how to describe it. Only words that come to mind are complete failure. The next four games are @CAL, @EDM, @MIN, EDM. I mean come on now. This team's entitled to nothing, but if they can't get up to play against those four teams, all hope is lost and faith in this group of players is gone, because it doesn't get much more desirable for a stretch run, other than to have those all at home (but you can't have everything). Can't make it in with THOSE four games on the schedule and heads should roll from top down all the way through playing staff.

But this team will make the playoffs. Because when they need to win is when they do and when they think they can get away with losing, that is what they do. Just like tonight, just like the Boston game. That's just how they play. It would surprise me if they lost more than 1 of those four games I mentioned. And if they make the playoffs, the same thing will apply in games where they get ahead with a big series lead on the cards. Then it will eventually catch up to them after making a 2-2 series out of what should have been a 3-1, and they will be golfing.

That is just...what they do, and the last few weeks have been a major eye-opener as to how they operate as a complete unit.

That's how I feel. Hopefully I'm not right.
The summation of what I've felt about the team for quite a long time. They are me in university.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Yeah, the next few games are as telling as it gets.

After I've had time to simmer, I feel like last night was just garbage all around. Despite playing like crap, we were never out of that game, and probably had the better opportunities regardless of bad passing, etc. Is it just me, or was that puck hopping everyone's sticks at the worst moments?

I hate to admit it, but Luongo played very good. Solid, not spectacular, but we should have beaten him on a couple of occasions.

I'm thinking the Kings were just absolutely beat up from the Boston game and travel, to be honest. Not an excuse, but that's the only reason I can see for their uninspired play.

Trevor Lewis almost had his second fight in two games

The silver lining is I'm sure this team now realizes the urgency and is good and pissed off from these last two games. Wednesday at Calgary should be a bloodbath (though I'm scared to death of playing IN Calgary--our record there has to be godawful).

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
YP44

I am not blaming the refs for the lose as they did not stop the kings from putting the puck in the net.
However there were some terrible calls last night, and I would love it if someone started a trade thread that is something like. Kopitar to vancouver for whatever info they have on the league that give them so many calls.
That clifford penalty was laughable, the Penner one was even worse due to timing, and looking at Greene's yes in now way should he have is stick in that positon, but chirst did Sedin go down easy.
No matter who plays the nucks in round one I hope they destroy them.

YP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Yeah, the next few games are as telling as it gets.

After I've had time to simmer, I feel like last night was just garbage all around. Despite playing like crap, we were never out of that game, and probably had the better opportunities regardless of bad passing, etc. Is it just me, or was that puck hopping everyone's sticks at the worst moments?

I hate to admit it, but Luongo played very good. Solid, not spectacular, but we should have beaten him on a couple of occasions.

I'm thinking the Kings were just absolutely beat up from the Boston game and travel, to be honest. Not an excuse, but that's the only reason I can see for their uninspired play.

Trevor Lewis almost had his second fight in two games

The silver lining is I'm sure this team now realizes the urgency and is good and pissed off from these last two games. Wednesday at Calgary should be a bloodbath (though I'm scared to death of playing IN Calgary--our record there has to be godawful).
Not sure about the travel excuse as they had a day off between Boston and last night, also no time change and it's not that long of a flight. However I could not agree more about the passing. Even the passes that were good were not handled well. I don't know how many time I swore at the TV last night about our passing.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings are 6-4 in their last 10 games. Nothing to get too excited about.
That's the bottom line. They had worked up to a good-to-great 8-2, their best run of the year, but it's starting to slip away.

They've underachieved all season and were starting to get hot, but.... they got to find it again and start scoring.

Winning teams also steal a point once in a while (score late to force OT). The Kings still haven't scored late to steal a point this year after not doing it all last season as well. You'd think by dumb luck one of the late rushes around the opposing net would get ONE goal scored - a deflection off someone's butt or skate - but it hasn't happened in almost 2 YEARS!! How is that even possible?!

Oh well, they likely need to win 5 of their last 6 to get in the POs - and for some reason they look like a junior team when they play Edm, and we get them 2 more times...!!

They are into must-win territory.

These are their playoff games - right now. Get - r - done!!

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I am not blaming the refs for the lose as they did not stop the kings from putting the puck in the net.
However there were some terrible calls last night, and I would love it if someone started a trade thread that is something like. Kopitar to vancouver for whatever info they have on the league that give them so many calls.
That clifford penalty was laughable, the Penner one was even worse due to timing, and looking at Greene's yes in now way should he have is stick in that positon, but chirst did Sedin go down easy.
No matter who plays the nucks in round one I hope they destroy them.
This was one of those rare times the orange armbands were 0% accurate...and I'm not just mentioning on us...but both sides... Too many phantom penalties for my taste this time...

Of course our PP fell flatter than a beer that's been sitting out for six months and I believe that was the major problem...not the lousy officiating...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
This was one of those rare times the orange armbands were 0% accurate...and I'm not just mentioning on us...but both sides... Too many phantom penalties for my taste this time...

Of course our PP fell flatter than a beer that's been sitting out for six months and I believe that was the major problem...not the lousy officiating...
I agree there were missed/bogus calls on both ends. Just always seems that way against Vancouver.
mmmmm beer.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Kings only have 2 goals in their last 3 games. Not liking that.
meh dont worry about it.

Not many teams score against the blues, and not many teams score past the Bruins/Canucks if they are losing the game and the other team can shut it down

I am pretty confident that the kings are never going to score a goal with the goalie pulled ever again however. Its been what, over 2 years since the last 1?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
meh dont worry about it.

Not many teams score against the blues, and not many teams score past the Bruins/Canucks if they are losing the game and the other team can shut it down

I am pretty confident that the kings are never going to score a goal with the goalie pulled ever again however. Its been what, over 2 years since the last 1?
Before the three game stretch against the Blues, Bruins and ****s I was hoping for three out of a possible six points. Thought anything else would be bonus. We missed by one, but definately are still looking good for the playoffs.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Get a rebate? Oops, I bet that clause isn't in his 8 year, $56M contract.
I know no one like the Drew they're paying for "today", but I'm really hoping the Drew of "tomorrow" is worth it......

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:40 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I know no one like the Drew they're paying for "today", but I'm really hoping the Drew of "tomorrow" is worth it......
Glad you are so optomistic.
I am still hoping that Weber hold out on the preds and we trade Dougty for his rights this summer.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's frustrating to see that defensemen drafted behind Doughty are starting to out shine him, Pietrangelo and Karlsson in particular.

While he didn't have as bad of a game as he did in Boston, Doughty's overall play since his amazing sophomore season has been less than inspiring. He looks like a completely different player now.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's frustrating to see that defensemen drafted behind Doughty are starting to out shine him, Pietrangelo and Karlsson in particular.

While he didn't have as bad of a game as he did in Boston, Doughty's overall play since his amazing sophomore season has been less than inspiring. He looks like a completely different player now.
I thnk other teams have foudn out how to play against the guy and Doughty has done nothing to addapt, or show that he is capable of adapting, something a $7 mil man should be able to do. I know he was paid for potential, but you have to wonder if that potential will ever = a $7mil payday.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
BigBrown
Now what will we do?

As big as the drop off was between Doughty's amazing second season and his disappointing third season, I think the drop off between the third and the current one almost seems as big. He looks lost in both ends of the ice. The only thing he still does well is skate the puck. His shot, passing, positioning and speed all seems to be well below his Norris finalist year.

I really, really hope he can turn it around next season.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Hold out seasons are usually a players worse season. Hopefully this is true for Doughty. He missed all of camp, was injured and is trying to "live" up to the cap hit.

He should settle down this summer and come to camp in the best shape of his life ready to take on the world. If not, then the Kings have a $7 million top 4 defenseman, in the Campbell mold. Not terrible, but not great either.

The Kings have already started their first round series and lost game 1. They have 6 games left to win 4.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
As big as the drop off was between Doughty's amazing second season and his disappointing third season, I think the drop off between the third and the current one almost seems as big. He looks lost in both ends of the ice. The only thing he still does well is skate the puck. His shot, passing, positioning and speed all seems to be well below his Norris finalist year.

I really, really hope he can turn it around next season.
Out of what you listed I think the positioning is what he needs to work on most.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Duc620

They looked liked a tired physically battered team that had just gone through a very tough series of 8-10 games. They gave their all during that series and didn't have enough left to dance around a very tough team. That said, they still played a SC favorite to a 1-0 game.

I like this team. I like their chances. Teams get a bit more time off between series and games to recover and the travel is not so screwed up. They'll win the next three and then take one from SJ.

GO KINGS GO!!!

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
They looked liked a tired physically battered team that had just gone through a very tough series of 8-10 games. They gave their all during that series and didn't have enough left to dance around a very tough team. That said, they still played a SC favorite to a 1-0 game.

I like this team. I like their chances. Teams get a bit more time off between series and games to recover and the travel is not so screwed up. They'll win the next three and then take one from SJ.

GO KINGS GO!!!
What? They have to play 2 games in less than 24 hours in 2 countries. How is that getting easier?

They had a full day off and a short fight up the coast to face Vancouver. They didn't show up, it's over, but I don't think the travel is going to get easier. The Kings needed 4 wins out of 7 games and now need 4 out of 6.

I was just disappointed in their effort. If that is how they play after a few tough games, how are they going to get through 4 rounds of the playoffs? It just looks like the core isn't mentally prepared and hopefully it is an age thing, but it doesn't look like it. The team has gotten worse each of the last 3 seasons. They must win a playoff round for the season to be a "success".

Old
03-27-2012, 01:18 PM
MsWoof

Taylor Hall is done for the season with shoulder surgery. Not sure if he's been playing up till now but that was just announced.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Hold out seasons are usually a players worse season. Hopefully this is true for Doughty. He missed all of camp, was injured and is trying to "live" up to the cap hit.

He should settle down this summer and come to camp in the best shape of his life ready to take on the world. If not, then the Kings have a $7 million top 4 defenseman, in the Campbell mold. Not terrible, but not great either.

The Kings have already started their first round series and lost game 1. They have 6 games left to win 4.
I was listening to a former NFL coach talk about this. He's seen player after player struggle once signing a big contract. It's about pressure (in his opinion), and trying too hard which makes players unable to relax and play "their" game.

Kovalchuk is a good example. Initially he was trying way too hard. But now, a year later, he's settled in and is playing some great hockey.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote