HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ coach next year

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I know, I'm a kinder and gentler person whenever my team wins, too.
Yep. Me too!!

I like that Richards is talking about the team having fun. Attitude is everything. If you think you can win, you can. If you don't, you won't.

I like that I saw Richards leaning into Wiz's ear last night. Direction or correction, either one is refreshing to see, vs the stoic arms across the chest "I gotta poop" look that coaches sometimes wear. He's actually....coaching.

I don't care who sits the bench as long as we win. I looked at the Puckrakers quote you posted Pete and thought...hmm, Richards, teaching work ethic? There's a concept!!

Old
03-04-2012, 10:22 AM
CBJCougar

So is there a deal with Porty and Richards? In today's article ( http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/ ) Porty seemed kind of .... I dunno...sarcastic? You decide...

“It was a great hockey game,” Richards said. Based on past assessments of games his team has played, “great game” is pretty much every game. But there was some truth to that tonight.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
So is there a deal with Porty and Richards? In today's article ( http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/ ) Porty seemed kind of .... I dunno...sarcastic? You decide...

“It was a great hockey game,” Richards said. Based on past assessments of games his team has played, “great game” is pretty much every game. But there was some truth to that tonight.
If "Game No. 65" is what you're talking about that was penned by Shawn Mitchell.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If "Game No. 65" is what you're talking about that was penned by Shawn Mitchell.
Ah, ok. Yeah, HIM!! ^^ My bad. That's what I get for posting before finishing that first cup of Joe. LOL

Old
03-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I know the games are completely meaningless, but Richards has the Jackets playing some of their best hockey in 2-3 years.

I hope he's a serious candidate for the job next season.

03-09-2012, 12:59 AM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I know the games are completely meaningless, but Richards has the Jackets playing some of their best hockey in 2-3 years.

I hope he's a serious candidate for the job next season.
been thinking similarly. The RyJo stuff has me perplexed, but I don't know how that's supposed to be handled, really. It is possible to kill a kid's confidence by having him get beat too many times by vets.

Aside from that, Richards deserves consideration.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 72
The way RJ19 has been playing, I don't blame Richards for scratching him. And I am all for Richards being named head coach.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Ontario Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I can't remember, but didn't the Carolina fire Paul Maurice? I've read he's a pretty good coach, could be a guy worth looking into.
The issue with Maurice is, he is an interim coach...He is good at bringing players together and getting the most out of young players, however, he only last 2-3 years. If that is what we need in CBJ, then I think he would be a good fit...but I think they are going for something more long-term (but I don't know why).

I would love to see a hard-noised coach come in, like Wilson or Crawford, but I doubt management would ever let that happen. Would love to see a McPhee and Crawford combo!

Old
03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

We've seen this all before, the interim comes in and the team finishes strong for him. Hasn't really work well, before, but I suppose it could be different, this time. On the other hand, how are you going to sell a shiny, new CBJ, sans Nash, next year without a shiny new face behind the bench? Aside from my opinion about his coaching qualifications, retaining Todd Richards is going to do nothing to drum up interest in potential ticket buyers. A known face, ala Hitch, might do it, or a top young guy (I forget the name of the Leafs top coaching prospect, but plug it in here) with some league-wide juice could help. But more of what's been here contributing to the worst team in the league for the entire season? Ummm, not so much.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
We've seen this all before, the interim comes in and the team finishes strong for him. Hasn't really work well, before, but I suppose it could be different, this time. On the other hand, how are you going to sell a shiny, new CBJ, sans Nash, next year without a shiny new face behind the bench? Aside from my opinion about his coaching qualifications, retaining Todd Richards is going to do nothing to drum up interest in potential ticket buyers. A known face, ala Hitch, might do it, or a top young guy (I forget the name of the Leafs top coaching prospect, but plug it in here) with some league-wide juice could help. But more of what's been here contributing to the worst team in the league for the entire season? Ummm, not so much.
Dallas Eakins, head coach of the Toronto Marlies..

I'm hesitant about retaining Richards, not based on his resume or even what he's done as interim head coach here but because of past CBJ history promoting from within.. Id like to see the Jackets go through another head coach interview process and start over fresh next season.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Buckeye View Post
The issue with Maurice is, he is an interim coach...He is good at bringing players together and getting the most out of young players, however, he only last 2-3 years. If that is what we need in CBJ, then I think he would be a good fit...but I think they are going for something more long-term (but I don't know why).

I would love to see a hard-noised coach come in, like Wilson or Crawford, but I doubt management would ever let that happen. Would love to see a McPhee and Crawford combo!
You have to alternate coaching styles in terms of intensity if the old one was tuned out. A high-pressure can't be replaced with a high-pressure coach, and a low-pressure can't be replaced with another low-pressure. There's 100 years of baseball history and 90 years of football that backs this idea up. The most extreme example was the Yankees in the 1970s, who replaced Billy Martin (the most tightly-wound manager of the last 50 years) with Bob Lemon (who could have managed with a corncob pipe while sitting in a rocking chair) and then back again, with success each time.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Dallas Eakins, head coach of the Toronto Marlies..

I'm hesitant about retaining Richards, not based on his resume or even what he's done as interim head coach here but because of past CBJ history promoting from within.. Id like to see the Jackets go through another head coach interview process and start over fresh next season.
IDK Bob. Seems like constantly starting fresh seems to be part of the problem here. 8 different coaches over 11 seasons. A modicum of stability would be nice, even if it's totally unsexy.

I'm not saying he should be handed the position, I just hope he's a serious candidate in a way that Noel wasn't.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
IDK Bob. Seems like constantly starting fresh seems to be part of the problem here. 8 different coaches over 11 seasons. A modicum of stability would be nice, even if it's totally unsexy.

I'm not saying he should be handed the position, I just hope he's a serious candidate in a way that Noel wasn't.
I think he will be, odds are he will get the job if Howson is still GM which is highly probable.

Next Oct-Dec is when the current management structure will probably be judged..

Old
03-27-2012, 08:20 PM
GalileoSmith

Should Todd Richards Want To Be Next Year's Coach?

I was watching the Detroit/Columbus debacle on TV yesterday and one of the commentators said that, like the players, Richards too is vying for a job next year. But in his case it's the head coaching job. On the other hand, I have said for months that if Scott Arniel had known what he was getting himself into, he never would have wanted the Jackets' head coaching job. So with that in mind, does Richards really want the head coaching job?

Old
03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I was watching the Detroit/Columbus debacle on TV yesterday and one of the commentators said that, like the players, Richards too is vying for a job next year. But in his case it's the head coaching job. On the other hand, I have said for months that if Scott Arniel had known what he was getting himself into, he never would have wanted the Jackets' head coaching job. So with that in mind, does Richards really want the head coaching job?
To answer your question: Yes, I believe he wants the job.

If Howson is still here, he likely will get the job.

If Howson is gone, he likely won't.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
EspenK

My guess, unless a better offer comes along he wants it. It beats unemployment and who will blame him if the suck continues. Well, who but us?

Old
03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I have said for months that if Scott Arniel had known what he was getting himself into, he never would have wanted the Jackets' head coaching job.
Arniel sad after being terminated that he knew what he was getting himself into. I read into that and believe he knew the CBJ was a cluster*** organization.

Here was the article that I recall...
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...or-arniel.html

Quote:
Arniel wouldn’t answer many questions specifically, such as whether he felt like the fall guy for larger problems within the organization.

“I’m trying to take the high road here,” he said. “I don’t want to talk about what’s there and what isn’t. I knew what I was getting into when I took that job. There were lots of things I was proud to see happen. There are other things that, if I had to do over, I would do them differently in a heartbeat, and I’ll leave it at that.”

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 03-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Arniel sad after being terminated that he knew what he was getting himself into. I read into that and believe he knew the CBJ was a cluster*** organization.
Or he could have just meant he knew he was getting into an org trying to turn the corner after years of losing with some suspect player attitudes.

I like Richards, but to me, the entire situation feels like Gerard Gallant part II.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:52 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

He should want to be an NHL coach.

He won't be our coach next year because Howson will be gone.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
To answer your question: Yes, I believe he wants the job.

If Howson is still here, he likely will get the job.

If Howson is gone, he likely won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I like Richards, but to me, the entire situation feels like Gerard Gallant part II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
He should want to be an NHL coach.

He won't be our coach next year because Howson will be gone.
Surely I'm not the only one wondering wondering what Howson would have to do with retaining an interim head coach. I mean, he is the same guy who showed Claude Noel the door and then launched an actual coaching search when it would have been easier to just retain him.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:05 AM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

He's a goner.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Cyclones Rock

The question "should Richards want to be coach?". Sure, why not? It's one of 30 NHL jobs, the pay is good and no one is going to hold him very accountable for poor play given the roster and organization.

If Scott Howson has any say so on whomever is chosen coach for next season, it would make this sorry joke of an organization look even worse than it really is.

I mean, how many GMs could have The Coach of the Year of that season under contract and allow Scott Arniel to be given more time to turn things around? And still retain his own employment? Only in Columbumblus.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
If the goal is the #1 pick again next year, sure keep this jackass on board.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:34 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Surely I'm not the only one wondering wondering what Howson would have to do with retaining an interim head coach. I mean, he is the same guy who showed Claude Noel the door and then launched an actual coaching search when it would have been easier to just retain him.
and probably would have been smarter

Old
03-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
My hunch is that if Howson stays he is going to be given one more year to clean up the mess he's made, and he'll have to do it with Richards. He won't really be given the option of a full-blown coaching search.

I'm starting to think that even JPMac can't be so blind to the direness of the situation and that Howson and Richards will be gone in the summer.

Closed Thread