HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects possibly cracking the Bulldogs' 2012-13 lineup

Old
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
No way Gallagher will make the Habs next year. He didn't even dominate the world juniors.

He needs at least a full year in Hamilton.

No need to rush him
Like they are doing with Leblanc, this year. Agree with you.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Blake Geoffrion - Louis Leblanc - Brendan Gallagher
Danny Kristo - Patrick Holland - Alexander Avtsin
Ian Schultz - Michael Bournival - Joonas Nattinen
Gabriel Dumont - Olivier Fortier - Andrew Conboy
extras - Phillipe Lefebvre, Alain Berger

Nathan Beaulieu - Alex Henry
Jarred Tinordi - Brendan Nash
Morgan Ellis - Frederic St. Denis
Greg Pateryn - Joe Stejskal

Peter Delmas
Robert Mayer

Just a rough list of guys that can play in Hamilton next year. I didnt include some guys like Masse, Mitera, etc who are RFA that we should let go.
Conboy, Nash, & Fortier are the RFA who we should qualify imo. Enqvist and Palushaj I didn't include as who knows if they'll be in Montreal/Sweden. Geoffrion/Leblanc could also be in Montreal as well but I though i would include them. I may have missed a couple of guys as well.
Good summary for the line-up. I agree the first line will all start in Hamilton next year. Avstin has to be cut loose. He has brought nothing this year and he's been given plenty of opportunity to show his so called skills. Schultzie needs to improve his skating big time if he is going to go anywhere. Good character guy to have but he gets caught from behind too often. Agreed with Montreal that Dumont should be in top six, hopefully as a center. Also, keep your eye on Slaney, he has really impressed me on the western road trip, big and fast not afraid to mix it up in the corners. There is room if Avstin goes. An honorable mention to Berger. The past few games he's shown some flashes. Again another big guy that will go to the corners, too bad he didn't spend the full season in the ECHL.
Henry's return will be a question mark, I doubt he's back. I think Stejskal needs some time in ECHL, too soft and gets beat wide.
Goaltending is a major concern, if Dogs are to compete we need to get a Sanford/Dejardins type guy and let one of those two back-up.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:43 PM
jwolf

Let's not forget this Scott Gomez guy I've been hearing about that should be centering the second line next year. Anyone have any info on him?

Looks like an overager

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Let's not forget this Scott Gomez guy I've been hearing about that should be centering the second line next year. Anyone have any info on him?

Looks like an overager
Molson - a generous gentleman- will buy back his contract, and Gomez will play in the NHL for the team he wants (or the team who wants him...).

Old
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Molson - a generous gentleman- will buy back his contract, and Gomez will play in the NHL for the team he wants (or the team who wants him...).
I really hope not, 4 more years of Gomez being on the Salary Cap, yikes...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Kriso is unsure about jumping professionnal or finishing his last school year

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...eil_ECRAN1POS5

and just to add to that
Because he played in the USHL the year after being drafted, Canadiens could lose his rights on June 1st, 2012 if he foregoes his senior year after the 2011-12 season.

NJHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
No way Gallagher will make the Habs next year. He didn't even dominate the world juniors.

He needs at least a full year in Hamilton.

No need to rush him
Gallagher's WJC wasn't at a Tavares level of dominance, but he was very, very good. Some might say Huberdeau and Stone were better. I can't think of any other Canadian forwards who could be in the argument, including top 10 picks Scheifele and Strome. He was miles better than Leblanc was in his WJC.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Gallagher's WJC wasn't at a Tavares level of dominance, but he was very, very good. Some might say Huberdeau and Stone were better. I can't think of any other Canadian forwards who could be in the argument, including top 10 picks Scheifele and Strome. He was miles better than Leblanc was in his WJC.

I agree..but we saw that Leblanc is a very intelligent player with good skills. I just wish Leblanc get really into his training..He still seems weak to me and his physical attributes don't match his skills at the moment. If he was stronger and a little faster, he'd be much better right now. Needs to put on a good 15 pounds of muscle.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
He was miles better than Leblanc was in his WJC.
Don't agree. Leblanc had 7 pts in 7 games and was tied for 11th in the wjc's for points.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
Which prospects do you see playing in Hamilton at the start of next season?

For my part, here's who I see who could crack their lineup:

Nathan Beaulieu
Danny Kristo
Jarred Tinordi
Brendan Gallagher
Michael Bournival
Greg Pateryn
Morgan Ellis
Patrick Holland

Good group of young prospects who will get a chance to go pro next year. Who do you think will?
If possible I'd add Pribyl. Then the Dogs won't suck nearly as much as they did... provided we draft (or sign) a goalie!

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Good summary for the line-up. I agree the first line will all start in Hamilton next year. Avstin has to be cut loose. He has brought nothing this year and he's been given plenty of opportunity to show his so called skills. Schultzie needs to improve his skating big time if he is going to go anywhere. Good character guy to have but he gets caught from behind too often. Agreed with Montreal that Dumont should be in top six, hopefully as a center. Also, keep your eye on Slaney, he has really impressed me on the western road trip, big and fast not afraid to mix it up in the corners. There is room if Avstin goes. An honorable mention to Berger. The past few games he's shown some flashes. Again another big guy that will go to the corners, too bad he didn't spend the full season in the ECHL.
Henry's return will be a question mark, I doubt he's back. I think Stejskal needs some time in ECHL, too soft and gets beat wide.
Goaltending is a major concern, if Dogs are to compete we need to get a Sanford/Dejardins type guy and let one of those two back-up.
Avtsin won't be cut loose as he has 1 more year left on his contract. I'd like to see Henry brought back. With the 50 contract limit it's hard to say if Slaney will be brought back with all the incoming forwards. Same goes for Masse, Fortier, Nash, Bishop & Conboy. I think Conboy, Nash, & Fortier should all be brought back. Goaltending is a weak spot but I believe we will sign a goalie out of the NCAA. At least I hope so

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Like they are doing with Leblanc, this year. Agree with you.
Disagree with your assessment... Leblanc has played some games with the Big team but his 'spot' on the team isn't his per se - his stints in the NHL are probably good for his development as long as its not "full-time". I would hope the Habs keep him in Hamilton for a good chunk of next season so he can continue his development.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:49 PM
DAChampion

From the sound of this thread, our farm system is likely to lose Dany Kristo and Greg Pateryn. That's too bad.

Note that those two are all we have left for the complete dearth of 2nd rounders in the period 2007-2011, as Gainey and Gauthier gave away 2nd rounders like candy.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
From the sound of this thread, our farm system is likely to lose Dany Kristo and Greg Pateryn. That's too bad.

Note that those two are all we have left for the complete dearth of 2nd rounders in the period 2007-2011, as Gainey and Gauthier gave away 2nd rounders like candy.
As far as Pateryn is concerned, there are rumours but I'd hardly call it likely we will lose him.

And Kristo is an emotional player, usually guys talk about staying straight after they lose or are eliminated. Especially when you consider what happened to their 'dream team' last year and losing to a hated rival this year. If anything I think we are in a better position with him.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:01 PM
DAChampion

It's also interesting that a lot of this forum is convinced the Bulldogs are going to rock next year.

All they're getting is an influx of 18-20 year-olds from what THN labeled the 28th best farm system in the NHL... and they might not even get Kristo and Pateryn. I suppose Hamilton might be more of a threat if any of Grigorenko, Yakupov, or Galchenyuk spend 40 games there.

I think it should be a priority for management to sign some (2 or 3 or 4) veteran AHL players to make sure the team doesn't completely suck as the kids adjust to playing with men. You don't want to much of a losing culture to develop, and it'd be better for them to make the playoffs.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:09 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If possible I'd add Pribyl. Then the Dogs won't suck nearly as much as they did... provided we draft (or sign) a goalie!
Pribyl is under contract with Sparta Praha next season and the Czech's are not part of the PTA, so it would seem likely that he will be back there next year. Hopefully they can bring him over for the 2013-2014 season though. Pribyl, Bennett, Dietz, would be a good start for another solid incoming class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Avtsin won't be cut loose as he has 1 more year left on his contract. I'd like to see Henry brought back. With the 50 contract limit it's hard to say if Slaney will be brought back with all the incoming forwards. Same goes for Masse, Fortier, Nash, Bishop & Conboy. I think Conboy, Nash, & Fortier should all be brought back. Goaltending is a weak spot but I believe we will sign a goalie out of the NCAA. At least I hope so
Avtsin is under contract for 2 more seasons as his first year slid since he was junior aged. Although the Habs can outright release him if they wanted out of his contract.

Slaney will be in tough to be brought back depending on how the roster shakes out.

Masse, Fortier, Nash and Conboy should all be back, Masse has been better then Fortier imo.

And yes they sorely need to improve the goaltending.

Quote:
No one knows what Kristo will do, he has options but there's no way for anyone to know what direction he will go in. If he returns to North Dakota then so be it, we can still sign him after next season. If he opts to leave ND now but wants to sign somewhere else then that will suck to lose him for nothing.

Pateryn I like but with the Habs being deepest in D prospects, his loss wouldn't be a big deal since we have a number of quality D prospects in Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett, Ellis and Dietz. Plus the Habs have until August 15th to sign him, so him not signing now doesn't mean he won't be signed, but I'm sure he looks around and sees that he's going to be far down the ladder and ice time is going to be hard to come by in the AHL next season.

Quote:
It's also interesting that a lot of this forum is convinced the Bulldogs are going to rock next year.

All they're getting is an influx of 18-20 year-olds from what THN labeled the 28th best farm system in the NHL... and they might not even get Kristo and Pateryn. I suppose Hamilton might be more of a threat if any of Grigorenko, Yakupov, or Galchenyuk spend 40 games there.

I think it should be a priority for management to sign some (2 or 3 or 4) veteran AHL players to make sure the team doesn't completely suck as the kids adjust to playing with men. You don't want to much of a losing culture to develop, and it'd be better for them to make the playoffs.
If the Dogs don't improve their goaltending they won't "rock"

Only one player in Hamilton should be under 20 and that's Beaulieu. The rest will be 20 or older. There's no way Hamilton will be any of Grig, Yak, Galy.

The Dogs could have several vets in Hamilton next year, St-Denis, Henry, Mitera, Conboy, Masse, Fortier. Outside of Masse the rest would all be in their 4th AHL season or more.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Don't agree. Leblanc had 7 pts in 7 games and was tied for 11th in the wjc's for points.
Leblanc was good in the round robin, but faded in elimination games, especially against Russia. Gallagher was at his best against Russia, leading the comeback and scoring a goal and two assists.

Depending on how much you value shots vs shooting % (I favor shots quite a lot - IMO shooting % has a close relationship with dumb luck) - Gallagher led TC with 35 shots in 6 games. Leblanc had 17 shots in 7 games.

Most importantly, but most subjectively, by eye, I thought Gallagher was making smart plays all over the ice, whereas I thought Leblanc was making bad decisions in TC's last two games. It seems that may have had something to do with his injury. I'm glad to see him playing a smart game in the pros, but by the WJC alone, I didn't like his instincts.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Leblanc was good in the round robin, but faded in elimination games, especially against Russia. Gallagher was at his best against Russia, leading the comeback and scoring a goal and two assists.

Depending on how much you value shots vs shooting % (I favor shots quite a lot - IMO shooting % has a close relationship with dumb luck) - Gallagher led TC with 35 shots in 6 games. Leblanc had 17 shots in 7 games.

Most importantly, but most subjectively, by eye, I thought Gallagher was making smart plays all over the ice, whereas I thought Leblanc was making bad decisions in TC's last two games. It seems that may have had something to do with his injury. I'm glad to see him playing a smart game in the pros, but by the WJC alone, I didn't like his instincts.
Leblanc brings a lot more then just shots and it just seemed odd to me that you think Gallagher was "miles better" when Leblanc finished higher in tournament scoring then Gallagher did. Also I thought he played well without the puck despite being shuffled all over the place.

Personally I could see someone said that Gallagher was better then Leblanc, but miles better seems way over the top to me.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Haaabs

Gallagher almost cracked our line up last year already. I thought he was one of the best players during the WJC, every time he was on the ice we had a chance to score.

I really hope Bournival ends up being more than a workout warrior. O'Byrne is leading the Avalanche in blocked shots and is second in hits on that team.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
Gallagher almost cracked our line up last year already. I thought he was one of the best players during the WJC, every time he was on the ice we had a chance to score.

I really hope Bournival ends up being more than a workout warrior. O'Byrne is leading the Avalanche in blocked shots and is second in hits on that team.
Prime example of a young player who did not get a proper chance in Montreal. One more wasted player... A big RH d-man on top of that !

Bournival is just another 3rd line checker at best. with 15 goals potential at NHL level.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
blueinmtl

The O'Byrne trade made me so upset at the time, that and the McDonough giveaway still gets the red mist going.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Prime example of a young player who did not get a proper chance in Montreal. One more wasted player... A big RH d-man on top of that !

Bournival is just another 3rd line checker at best. with 15 goals potential at NHL level.
So in one sentence you said we should have given O'Byrne more time. And in the next sentence you say Bournival will ONLY be a 3rd liner (which is the logic the team and fans believed when they said O'Byrne is a scrub).

Organizations like Colorado simply play young players alot in the NHL to actually see how the are. Fans and the front office in Montreal predict how a player will turn out and make a final conclusion without ever seeing them skate once.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:

Before Gill's signing, I was hoping to see a Gorges – O'Byrne 3rd pairing.

I was a big fan of O'Byrne (his game was improving steadily imo + he added toughness to our D squad... something we badly need!) but Bournival is a solid return... especially with Gill taking O'Byne's spot.

Heck... I would go as far as calling him (Bournival) a blue chip prospect. I especially like his compete level; it seems to be on par with Gionta, Desharnais, Eller, Plekanec, Price, Subban, Cole, Gorges and Leblanc.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Captain Saku

Where is that O'Byrne not getting a proper chance coming from? He got plenty of chances here, he just sucked so bad, it may be just that he couldnt handle the pressure of playing in Montreal.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
whismer

Beaulieu is not available for AHL next year... Will be on his 19 years old after the Camp.

It's not like Louis Leblanc who have been draft from USHL.

whismer is offline   Reply With Quote