HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres @ Capitals 7:00 PM ET 03/27/2012

Old
03-28-2012, 01:41 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
cant lose in the playoffs at home from outside the playoffs. i think that is the point he was making. cant fix your playoff trouble from the tee box. many here wanted bruce gone so badly because of the playoff fail and where are we now? regular season fail. its worse, not better.

for some that is fine. it just means firing more people and cutting loose more players and thats fun. i think warden is saying that boudreau was coaching them up to playoffs and not coaching a juggernaut down for playoff fail.
fine. you can't lose the playoffs from the golf course. that's true. but the response was to the assertion that they'd never lost a must-win game under BB. if you don't consider an actual game 7 a must-win game then that's a different conversation.

tonight was an important game. no question. and the performance was pretty terrible. no question. but it wasn't must-win like a game 7.

the only true must-win game is the one when losing will eliminate them from the playoffs. whether you're in the playoffs already or not, that statement is still true. and the caps lost a lot of those under boudreau.

they may yet lose such a game under hunter.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:03 AM
txpd

i believe that the correct quote was boudreau had not lost a must win regular season game. warden is not a dumb or forgetful hockey fan. i am sure he remembers the playoff losses. again. he said regular season.

which is why i said what i said. i also remember the game 7's lost at home. i also remember what boudreau's elimination game record is.

btw....speaking of bb. noone has commented that ive seen on huntsies post game presser tonight. the reason they lost? hot goalie. if bruce said hot goalie this forum would be lit up ripping the guy for an excuse.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:22 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i believe that the correct quote was boudreau had not lost a must win regular season game. warden is not a dumb or forgetful hockey fan. i am sure he remembers the playoff losses. again. he said regular season.

which is why i said what i said. i also remember the game 7's lost at home. i also remember what boudreau's elimination game record is.

btw....speaking of bb. noone has commented that ive seen on huntsies post game presser tonight. the reason they lost? hot goalie. if bruce said hot goalie this forum would be lit up ripping the guy for an excuse.
Too lazy to read back, but if that was the quote, then ok. I can agree. But as I said, they haven't lost a must-win game this season - yet.

I didn't watch/hear Hunter's comments, but I'm not surprised. This organization, including Dale, sadly, is excuse central. It's a culture built on celebrating false victories like SE Division championships and rationalizing failure. There will be no winning until winning is insisted upon. DH and Laich and all the other apologists should just shut up.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:27 AM
plusone

Miller in his last 4 games is 4-0-0, 0.75 GAA, with a .977 save percentage. You can't exactly say Hunter is 100% wrong on the hot goalie thing. He's dragged this Sabres team to where they are now since the all star break too.

That isn't to say I like Hunter going there because that really wasn't even close to being the reason why the Caps looked absolutely awful. I'm not shocked that he went there. Pretty sure no one is. Until someone in the organization is going to stop dancing around the real issues this "woe is us" mentality will continue.

plusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:11 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusone View Post
Miller in his last 4 games is 4-0-0, 0.75 GAA, with a .977 save percentage. You can't exactly say Hunter is 100% wrong on the hot goalie thing. He's dragged this Sabres team to where they are now since the all star break too.

That isn't to say I like Hunter going there because that really wasn't even close to being the reason why the Caps looked absolutely awful. I'm not shocked that he went there. Pretty sure no one is. Until someone in the organization is going to stop dancing around the real issues this "woe is us" mentality will continue.
No excuses for Dale.

They were down to 4 dman, and the Caps didn't dump it once. Not ****ing once.

Every line except for the top line dumps the puck most of the time.

I can't imagine the excuse for Aucoin on PP1, he was the main cause of the SHG when he had all the time in the world to make a better decisions than throwing it up the boards to the guy on the point who is on his off wing. The caps in fact should of been cycling it down low to wear out the dman, in which there was only 3 because one was in the box.

Its the simple things where you see another coach makes good decisions in this area, and Hunter makes no decisions. At least there was a message being unheard by the Capitals under Boudreau, what message is there now?

We can say all we want about the players having to pay attention to there only being 3-4 dman playing, but the coach is supposed to step in and say there is only 3 or 4 and to start grinding and mushing them up down low.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:43 AM
CapsCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I can't imagine the excuse for Aucoin on PP1, he was the main cause of the SHG when he had all the time in the world to make a better decisions than throwing it up the boards to the guy on the point who is on his off wing.
What a ridiculous thing to say.

Ovechkin was the Total cause of the SHG, take off your OV blinders for five seconds.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:52 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusone View Post

basically getting jobbed by a goalie is not a acceptable reason for losing. something can be done and must be done. the caps playoff loss to halak is the proof. halak was really nothing special. it was lack of effort on the player's part and lack of coaching on boudreau's part.

last night....miller survived the night. he should have been taken out by the halfway mark and some caps players should have accepted the suspension for doing it.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

I personally like 52 and 8 on the point for the PP. Even with ovie fumbling the puck which lead to the SHG. I not as mad about that play as others that lead to the 5-1 whooping.

This is the same team that couldnt hold a lead in a must win in philly. Blew a huge lead at home. And gets blown out in a no show effort in a game the coach calls a game 7 this 2012 capitals team is not good.

Atleast we only have 6 games we have to watch of this crap team cant wait to not see wideman on PP1 and backstrom feeding backdoor goals down low.

Next seasons roster better be alot different because this hockey team is not good. And even having a flew elite players isnt enough to win when you surround them with crap. Look at tampa they have the best goal scorer in the league and 4 or 5 other nice players and mostly are a bad team.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:23 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
2 minutes after midnight is the day of the game, given the right time zone. We might be okay, just barely.
Are we okay?! Was this okay?!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Nevermind

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:18 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

vCash: 50
I feel like I'm at a craps table that has just gone cold... but I keep playing and playing saying "Next roll we will hit the point" .......

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I swear, the who cares people are worse than the O people.

Obviously, the correct response is the defense didn't care.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Dale Hunter is a tarnished man.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:27 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
DFH, the entire team, and GMGM are tarnished. Regardless if the Caps make the playoffs this year or not, GMGM took the team in a direction he thought would give them a legit shot at the Cup and he was wrong. Simple as that.

The next question is what direction to go next with this group of players, and who will be in charge of deciding the direction of this team moving forward? This next offseason will go a long way in deciding if Uncle Teddy has the stones to be a successful pro-sports owner, or if he is nothing but a glorified cheerleader with blogging skills.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:42 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
DFH, the entire team, and GMGM are tarnished. Regardless if the Caps make the playoffs this year or not, GMGM took the team in a direction he thought would give them a legit shot at the Cup and he was wrong. Simple as that.

The next question is what direction to go next with this group of players, and who will be in charge of deciding the direction of this team moving forward? This next offseason will go a long way in deciding if Uncle Teddy has the stones to be a successful pro-sports owner, or if he is nothing but a glorified cheerleader with blogging skills.
Yeah if we fail to make the playoffs then Ted really has no choice but to let go of GMGM and Dale in my book.

It sucks that it would come to this but it is what it is. We have changed several coaches and went thru many players but the results are still underwhelming.

These last 5 games will decide ALOT about the future of the franchise. They aren't out of it just yet.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:49 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
What does Mike Green do for 5+ mill again?

Is John Carlson full on stupid. Maybe just 1/2 a moron with zero hockey sense?
His hockey IQ is atrocious.

Orlov is a child and Carlson is a semi experienced retarded child.

Jeff Schultz?

Hammer....nevermind.
Wideman.....a terribly flawed player.

Alzner is so very good. Although tonight he looked like crap on several occasions.

That's our DEFENSE?

It's young and has plenty of room for improvement, but that's a joke.

You, like GMGM, expect far too much out of our young D.

Wideman is who he is and overall does more good than bad. Hamrlik has been fine this year and Schultz has improved (he had a tough game tho).

Orlov, Carlson and Alzner will get better no question. They are pups.

Green has missed the majority of the last year. He will come back strong next year hopefully in a system that utilizes his talents.

Its not as hopeless as you make it seem.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
txpd

love it. sophmore slump equals moron, retarded and full on stupid. subban is worse this season than carlson. doughty was worse last season in his sophmore season than carlson and then held out.

tyler myers was hideous much of this season. frankly alzner is the exception to the rule. in fact it might be that he hasnt regressed in at least part because he of his two seasons of up and down to hershey that so many said proved mcphee was ruining him.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Atlas

I hope Ted and McPhee are not stupid enough to risk Backstrom's coconut on trying to get this team to make the playoffs.

They were stupid enough to not trade Wideman. Are they stupid enough to risk Backstrom's career?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Lalalalalallalalalallala *fingers in ears*

Backstrom comes back Thurs. and we go 5-0. Keep the faith....im trying to anyway ugh.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I hope Ted and McPhee are not stupid enough to risk Backstrom's coconut on trying to get this team to make the playoffs.

They were stupid enough to not trade Wideman. Are they stupid enough to risk Backstrom's career?
if he is healthy now, whenever he plays will risk his coconut. playing now gets him a few games to find a comfort zone so that he's not waiting and worrying about it all summer.

let him play and know that he can. assuming he is healthy and the doctors say he is.

this is a stephan strasburg like situation. after minor league rehad he pitched 5 games in the NL at 24 innings. just under 5 inners per game. he proved to himself that he was still the pitcher he was. 24 innings, 15 hits, 2 walks, 24 strikeouts, 1.50 era.

Last edited by txpd: 03-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
My hockey IQ isn't very high, but it shouldn't take a hockey genius to understand giving up on players like Carlson and Neuvy because they have one sub-par year is very short sighted and plain stupid.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I seem to recall Hunter talking big about shot selection a while ago when they were getting it handed to them territorially. Now it's fire rubber from all angles. Little surprise then when you've got an attacking style that looks absolutely clueless.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:30 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

“I’m really happy with him. He’s a battler,” coach Dale Hunter said. “You see him handle the puck. I think he really helps our D a lot making decisions. It’s always a risk-reward thing when the goalies leave their net, but he does it very well.

How do you feel now Hunter about the decision on your goaltender?

And I wonder what the players thought. Neuvy hasn't been exceptional for sure but he's had good games too and more meaningful wins.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
bonzilla

Blame on McPhee..

Holtby should have been given a game at least once a month from the beginning of the season so that he and the team could get use to his aggressive style in practice and work on his NHL level in-game miscues as teaching points...

Here we are at crunch time, the D can't even properly execute the Johnson system, and now they have to adjust to a pinball wizard goalie like Holtby? ..Very unfair to both and entirely avoidable.

Bringing him in at the end of the season to play vs DET, PHIL, BUF is grossly unfair - I'm putting that asset management oversight on George.

It's like Holtby is running Windows 7 and the D is still running XP!

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
It's like Holtby is running Windows 7 and the D is still running XP!
It's more like the entire franchise is running Millennium Edition.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote