2011-2012 Anaheim Ducks Prospects Update Part II ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Unholy
waifu

vCash: 500
2011-2012 Anaheim Ducks Prospects Update Part II ‎

Last thread reached limit. Continuing here.

Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...919521&page=41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
AFAIK he is playing at center.
If so then that's even better.

Last edited by Unholy: 08-01-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old
03-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Markus078

I think Wagner has been underrated because of Coyle and Smith. I think that he is the real deal. Not that he will be a superstar but he is one of those high impact bottom 6 guys you need to win. Heart, leadership and skill. If everythin pans out he can become a 2nd liner some day.

I really love this pic!

Btw I would like to see Mark Zengerle at the Ducks as well. He will be Junior next season so it's likely that he will play another year at the Badgers. McNab could make a push for him .

Old
03-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

So now the pressure is on to sign Schultz....

This is what I would like to see once it is clear we are done assuming no injuries:

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Holland-DSP
Cogs-Saku-Teemu

23-7
17-5
Schultz-Brookbank

Get those guys up. The season will be over and let them have a good 10 games of little pressure and lets see what they can do.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:38 AM
imbatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
I think Wagner has been underrated because of Coyle and Smith. I think that he is the real deal. Not that he will be a superstar but he is one of those high impact bottom 6 guys you need to win. Heart, leadership and skill. If everythin pans out he can become a 2nd liner some day.

I really love this pic!

Btw I would like to see Mark Zengerle at the Ducks as well. He will be Junior next season so it's likely that he will play another year at the Badgers. McNab could make a push for him .
Wagner really stepped up his game last year starting around the time the ECAC playoffs began and was a big factor in Colgate upsetting the top seed and going on a bit of a cinderella run. Good to see he's doing it again, players being able to step up their game, is always a great quality.
Like you mention, he sort of has the question mark of whether he is just a product of his linemates, but hes fourth overall in the nation in scoring now, very impressive for a sophomore as all those above him are seniors. He's also missed a few games due to high hit suspensions, so for those missing a bit of a mean streak in our bottom six, he may be able to provide a bit of that if it keeps working out for him.

With Schultz finally being a Duck in the next few days, it got me thinking about the immediate future of some of our picks.
June 1st guys
College:
Brett Perlini's college career ended today as well. Would figure the Ducks will sign him.
Ryan Hegarty is a senior as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks dont tender him, but you never now, we dont have much as far as D prospects in the AHL.
Europeans:
Tim Heed, is at a position of strength, PMD. But I see no reason why the Ducks would not try to sign him. PP qb, seems to be a big need in the AHL team.
Andreas Dahlstrom, injuries have set him back too much, Ducks give up rights to him.

Other than that, Im guessing Bobkov will finish up the season in Syracuse again, and Etem will be the only new face up there this season, as long as Medicine hat doesnt go on a run.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbatman View Post
Wagner really stepped up his game last year starting around the time the ECAC playoffs began and was a big factor in Colgate upsetting the top seed and going on a bit of a cinderella run. Good to see he's doing it again, players being able to step up their game, is always a great quality.
Like you mention, he sort of has the question mark of whether he is just a product of his linemates, but hes fourth overall in the nation in scoring now, very impressive for a sophomore as all those above him are seniors. He's also missed a few games due to high hit suspensions, so for those missing a bit of a mean streak in our bottom six, he may be able to provide a bit of that if it keeps working out for him.
I don't think that's particularly meaningful. The ECAC is full of schools that don't offer athletic scholarships, so the level of competition isn't nearly as fierce as the CCHA, WCHA, or Hockey East. His numbers would be a bit lower in those divisions.

Last edited by Exit Dose: 03-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old
03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbatman View Post
College:
Brett Perlini's college career ended today as well. Would figure the Ducks will sign him.
Ryan Hegarty is a senior as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks dont tender him, but you never now, we dont have much as far as D prospects in the AHL.
Ryan Hegarty, beside Clark there are not so much stay at home defenders in our system. Lind is on the top of my head. So I'd like to see him and Heed in the AHL next season. With Clark, Erixon, Hegarty and Heed we have some young defenders there. I hope we can get Dan DeKeyser via FA somehow as well.

Old
03-17-2012, 08:23 AM
WayneBruce

Rakell voted as the best defensive forward in the OHL by the coaches.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...e-coaches-poll

Old
03-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Rakell voted as the best defensive forward in the OHL by the coaches.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...e-coaches-poll
The son of God continues to grow!

Also in that article, John Gibson is ranked 2nd best shootout Goalie. That's very good for us if we continue to have inconsistent RPG, no Ketchup, and good defensive third line in the near future. LoL

Old
03-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Man, I used to love to drown an ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box in ketchup.

Old
03-18-2012, 06:43 PM
jfb392

Not sure if you guys have heard yet, but it looks like Karlsson will be moving to the Elitserien next season, as his contract with Västerås has a clause that allows him to do so (source).

Old
03-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Carelton CA

Great night for the youngsters in Anaheim last night. When will the HF rankings be updated?

Old
03-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Etem with 5 points in Game 2 win.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Etem with 5 points in Game 2 win.
So they are up in the series 2-0? Nice.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Carelton CA

NCAA Prospects

Now that all of our NCAA prospects are out of the tournament as of this weekend, do any of them sign? (Hegarty or Perlini) I think we all know Schultz isn't coming, so do the Ducks go after Hegarty even though he is a completely different player?

Old
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Etem looked really well imo.

http://www.tigershockey.com/video/in...dc76e7af9c402a

Old
03-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Etem's got two more goals tonight, 5 goals in 3 games so far. Medicine Hat is up 2-1 in the 3rd.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:47 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Etems hits the GWG in OT for the hattrick!

Old
03-28-2012, 01:23 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Damn watched the videos, the more I see, the more the low hockey sense thing looks like hogwash to me, on the PP he goes to the absolutely right places on the ice to get the best shots....his speed creates a ton of chances, he's got that explosive first step, he can go from cruise control and then have that burst and leave dmen in the dust, he's going to be great, we have to develop him right there will be an adjustment period.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
My concern with Etem is the way he scores a lot of those goals. It's the Grabner approach. Being faster than everyone. It's similar to players who are bigger and stronger in the Major Juniors, so they can steamroll their peers. Their game depends on being faster than everyone else, or being stronger than everyone else. Then, when they crack their way into the NHL, that's no longer the case. Oh sure, they'll still be one of the fastest on the ice, or one of the strongest, but the difference won't be as extreme. Suddenly, they aren't able to overpower the opponents, or blow right past them as if they were standing still. That, more than anything, is why I'm a little nervous about Etem's NHL upside.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:05 AM
Paul4587

I have the same concerns. I'd say at least 75% of the goals Etem scored this year were scored by blowing past a slower defenseman and getting in alone on the goalie. In the NHL that won't work. So he'll need to adjust his game a fair bit in order to succeed.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:09 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
I tend to agree with you guys. I've seen him play against the Oil Kings, and his goals were scored more or less in that fashion. I'm not at all down on him, and I think there's a good chance he becomes a solid NHLer. But yeah he'll definitely need to adapt his game.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:19 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
My concern with Etem is the way he scores a lot of those goals. It's the Grabner approach. ... That, more than anything, is why I'm a little nervous about Etem's NHL upside.
Well, Etem has more grit and forecheck ability in his game and a much better shot. That's the reason why I think he will succeed at the NHL level. The question will be on what role. I think he will be a Kunitz type of forechecker and I'm thrilled with that. 20-30 goals upside. I think thats great!

In the worst case he can be used like Jason Blake. I think he will be at the big club but I also believe he will need a year in the AHL as well.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:28 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
My concern with Etem is the way he scores a lot of those goals. It's the Grabner approach. Being faster than everyone. It's similar to players who are bigger and stronger in the Major Juniors, so they can steamroll their peers. Their game depends on being faster than everyone else, or being stronger than everyone else. Then, when they crack their way into the NHL, that's no longer the case. Oh sure, they'll still be one of the fastest on the ice, or one of the strongest, but the difference won't be as extreme. Suddenly, they aren't able to overpower the opponents, or blow right past them as if they were standing still. That, more than anything, is why I'm a little nervous about Etem's NHL upside.
I would suggest watching his PP goals then

Old
03-28-2012, 03:29 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I have the same concerns. I'd say at least 75% of the goals Etem scored this year were scored by blowing past a slower defenseman and getting in alone on the goalie. In the NHL that won't work. So he'll need to adjust his game a fair bit in order to succeed.
Speed kills

Old
03-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I would suggest watching his PP goals then
That's all fine and good on the PP, but it's his even strength game I have concerns with.

I think he's a talented kid, and I feel pretty confident he can be a pretty good player, but it's also clear his current game is built more around Junior hockey than it is NHL hockey. It's a little less clear how successful he can be when he's playing said NHL hockey. I'm excited to see what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up as more of a utilitarian player who gives you some offense than a pure goal-scorer.

Closed Thread