It certainly helps.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:57 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That's all fine and good on the PP, but it's his even strength game I have concerns with.

I think he's a talented kid, and I feel pretty confident he can be a pretty good player, but it's also clear his current game is built more around Junior hockey than it is NHL hockey. It's a little less clear how successful he can be when he's playing said NHL hockey. I'm excited to see what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up as more of a utilitarian player who gives you some offense than a pure goal-scorer.
How many full games have you watched, to have such concerns? everyone that has watched him this year on a regular basis has raved about his game. you guys are really selling this kid short. his work ethic wont allow him to settle for being a middling player

Old
03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
How many full games have you watched, to have such concerns? everyone that has watched him this year on a regular basis has raved about his game. you guys are really selling this kid short. his work ethic wont allow him to settle for being a middling player
Only two, but I think the highlight reels speak for themselves. He scored 60 goals, and the majority of them seem to come from breakaway-type plays, and simply being the fastest guy on the ice by a fair amount. There's a definite pattern to the way he scores a lot of his goals. Unless the kid is the next Pavel Bure, that isn't going to fly in the NHL. Certainly not for more than a season.

I don't think it's a matter of "Will he need to change the way he plays, if he's going to be effective." I think that part is a given. No one in this day and age can consistently score like that.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:12 AM
parrosfan16

vCash: 505
Quote:
Speed kills
Ya, just look how awesome of a player Dan Sexton is

Old
03-28-2012, 11:33 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
You guys have a real gem on your hands in Etem. Was between the benches last night in Saskatoon and the kid is a freak of nature on the ice. Had the chance to interview him after the game too. He's not as tall as I expected, not much more than 6 feet in fact. But he's thick and strong. Surprising body type for someone as fast as he is.

With all that being said, I do have concerns about him adjusting to the pro game.

As people have mentioned, the VAST majority of his offensive production comes on plays where he is simply bigger, stronger and faster than the 16-18 year old opposition. He's going to need to learn and find new ways to be effective against stiffer competition.

We saw a major lack of production in the WJHC once he faced a better opponent. Some time in the AHL will definitely be needed....maybe even a full season.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Rush519

it is nice to see him scoring in the clutch also, not disappearing in the playoffs for the tigers

Old
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
You guys have a real gem on your hands in Etem. Was between the benches last night in Saskatoon and the kid is a freak of nature on the ice. Had the chance to interview him after the game too. He's not as tall as I expected, not much more than 6 feet in fact. But he's thick and strong. Surprising body type for someone as fast as he is.

With all that being said, I do have concerns about him adjusting to the pro game.

As people have mentioned, the VAST majority of his offensive production comes on plays where he is simply bigger, stronger and faster than the 16-18 year old opposition. He's going to need to learn and find new ways to be effective against stiffer competition.

We saw a major lack of production in the WJHC once he faced a better opponent. Some time in the AHL will definitely be needed....maybe even a full season.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I really like his compete level, and it's clear he's got talent. In my opinion, I don't think there is any question that he'll put in the work to adapt his game to the NHL level. The only question is how effective he will be at doing so.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

To me there are a lot of parallels between Etem as a prospect and Perry as a prospect. In Perry's case, people tempered their expectations despite his huge numbers and success because he was older, playing with great players, and might be a little too weak and awkward against pro competition. And we're seeing the same concerns about Etem - he's older, his competition level is lower, his style may not translate.

And the best you can say about Etem is the same as the best that could have been said about Perry - Etem hasn't done anything to diminish our hopes about his potential. He ought to be dominating, and he is. He ought to raise his game when the games matter more (because the league doesn't challenge him much), and he does. The one difference in that respect between Etem and Perry is Etem's brief WJC stint where he didn't distinguish himself.

And, yeah. I started typing this post, then went and bought and ate a taco, and I don't remember what my point was. So.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Paul4587

People were skeptical of Perry's skating and strength issues, not whether or not his style would translate offensively. Perry always had a very high hockey IQ and would not hesistate to go to the dirty areas. Fortunately for us he improved his skating to the point that it didn't hold him back whatsoever.

With Etem, his skating ability is already top notch, it's not his physical attributes that will hold him back, it will him adapting to the NHL game and learning how to score in a league where he can't blow past every second defenseman on his way to a breakaway.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Ultimately it's the same concern. Details, details. And I think Etem's reliance on breakaways is overblown.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Ultimately it's the same concern. Details, details. And I think Etem's reliance on breakaways is overblown.
It's the same concern, but the questions are ultimately different. Etem is a man against boys, and you can see it in the way he scores. He's bigger, stronger, and faster than his opposition. The question with Etem is how he adjusts when that is no longer the case.

He's obviously going to need to find new ways to be an effective player.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Yep. My point, badly made while pondering a taco, was that Etem is in the same position that every former high draft pick who doesn't immediately leave juniors is in. He's a man against boys. He's done as well as anyone could. It's cause for praise, not criticism.

Not that you or anyone was really criticizing him. I was just thinking out loud. Or out visible.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

http://www.tigershockey.com/video/in...6ca42d27c75f44

Old
03-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Etem. Again.

edit - series over. Etem had 7 goals and 12 points in the 4 games.

Last edited by Spicy Porkins: 03-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Now with 12 points in 4 games. 3.0 PPG pace

Old
03-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Only a goal and an assist tonight. Weak...

Old
03-28-2012, 10:47 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Manimal

Old
03-28-2012, 10:55 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Imagine if he had any actual talent

Old
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Carelton CA

Hegarty reporting to Syracuse today. I haven't seen anything on the contract specifics. Is it an ATO?

Old
04-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Plymouth Whalers leads series 3-2 against Guelph Storm.

Rakell with 2+3 and -1 in 5 games. He and 2 defenseman are sharing 6th - 8th best scorer place on Whalers.
Anyone can report more on that? Maybe he plays more of a defensive game?

Old
04-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Unholy

Cramarossa I think has 4 points in 5 games as well as 13 PIM.

04-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Plymouth Whalers leads series 3-2 against Guelph Storm.

Rakell with 2+3 and -1 in 5 games. He and 2 defenseman are sharing 6th - 8th best scorer place on Whalers.
Anyone can report more on that? Maybe he plays more of a defensive game?
I haven't watched him play, but by all accounts his defensive game is his greatest strength. You don't have to worry about him not scoring a lot. His numbers during the regular season were pretty streaky.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I haven't watched him play, but by all accounts his defensive game is his greatest strength. You don't have to worry about him not scoring a lot. His numbers during the regular season were pretty streaky.
One of the games have pretty decent highlights on their home page. He was playing really good in that game. Did the dirty work and got rewarded.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:55 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

John Gibson is currently dominating the OHL playoffs, he's 5-0 only 11 total goals allowed, 1.99 GAA .953% loved the pick at the time Gibson is a stud!

Old
04-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Markus078

Quote:
John Gibson is currently dominating the OHL playoffs, he's 5-0 only 11 total goals allowed, 1.99 GAA .953% loved the pick at the time Gibson is a stud!
while facing over 36 shots on average per game. The workload is high very well done.

Honestly the prospects and the drafting is the biggest credit I give to BM - he created a scouting team around Madden that does a tremendous work!

Closed Thread