Old
03-26-2012, 11:04 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedick View Post
Iggy is a Flame for life.
That would be fine if he signed an extension next season for four years with a cap hit of $2.5 million per. Maybe at that salary the Flames could afford to bring in another top end talent which would allow Iginla to play second fiddle. That could be tough as top end talent is few and far between, especially as a reasonably young free agent. Looking down the road at 2013 free agency there are only a few guys coming up that might be worth chasing.

Jordon Staal, Nathan Horton, Travis Zajac, Ryan Clowe, Ted Purcell, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Stephen Weiss

Could the Flames snag one of them? Doubtful?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
nogger
Former 4th liner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
That would be fine if he signed an extension next season for four years with a cap hit of $2.5 million per. Maybe at that salary the Flames could afford to bring in another top end talent which would allow Iginla to play second fiddle. That could be tough as top end talent is few and far between, especially as a reasonably young free agent. Looking down the road at 2013 free agency there are only a few guys coming up that might be worth chasing.

Jordon Staal, Nathan Horton, Travis Zajac, Ryan Clowe, Ted Purcell, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Stephen Weiss

Who needs them when we got Mitch Wahl?

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Flames CBA Guy
Y is Colborne in SO?

vCash: 100
I think the word you're looking for... is sarcasm.

Flames CBA Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post

The Flames already have a lot of cap flexibility in the near future, so the team can add at least one or two high-end FAs, including this year. While there are some bad contracts on the roster, many of them expire within the next 2 to 3 years.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Body Checker

maybe it's the euphoria of one win but I'm thinking a measured approach is maybe the right way to do things instead of a full blown rebuild, for example:

Next year's 4 lines:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla will still be a top line next year.

Re-sign Jokinen and give him 2 new wingers - one would be Baertschi. The other a RW from UFA, maybe David Jones, Shane Doan or even Semin.

Glencross goes to 3rd line.

Pick between Stajan or Backlund for your 3rd line center. Move the other for an asset (early 2nd round pick or young defenceman, e.g. Brian Dumoulin from Carolina)

Choose between Stempniak, Moss and Comeau for 3rd line RW.

Jones, Jackman, Bouma, Byron, Horak, Nemisz fill out a really strong 4th line.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
maybe it's the euphoria of one win but I'm thinking a measured approach is maybe the right way to do things instead of a full blown rebuild, for example:

Next year's 4 lines:

Re-sign Jokinen and give him 2 new wingers - one would be Baertschi. The other a RW from UFA, maybe David Jones, Shane Doan or even Semin.

Pick between Stajan or Backlund for your 3rd line center. Move the other for an asset (early 2nd round pick or young defenceman, e.g. Brian Dumoulin from Carolina)

In other words, zero change.

If we can get a big body on the wing (Doan/Jones) then Jokinen shouldn't be as difficult to be let go. Stajan has proved that he needs talented wingers to produce, Backlund shouldn't be given up on so quickly.

Cammy/Stajan/Backlund/Jones

Doesn't look great but a top 6 RW makes it easier to swallow.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post

Next year's 4 lines:

I would only move Cammalleri to center if Olli walks and I think its better to shelter Beartschi's minutes a little so I see something more like this.

Tanguay - Jokinen (or Cammalleri) - Iginla
Glencross - Stajan - Cammalleri (or a UFA)
Beartschi - Backlund - Nemisz
Bouma (or Horak) - Jones - Jackman

I am not overly fond of Cammalleri being a centerman next year because if he is centering our top line it means there is not a single forward that we can rely on actually play defense on a regular basis (I am not saying they can't, I am saying they don't).

I would also let Jones walk and not retain him, I like him but I really think we need to focus on faceoffs next season and he really is not the answer to that. But I expect he will return as will most of the lineup, but I would prefer more sweeping changes.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
In other words, zero change.

If we can get a big body on the wing (Doan/Jones) then Jokinen shouldn't be as difficult to be let go. Stajan has proved that he needs talented wingers to produce, Backlund shouldn't be given up on so quickly.

Cammy/Stajan/Backlund/Jones

Doesn't look great but a top 6 RW makes it easier to swallow.
I would REALLY like to see some bigger moves this summer by the Flames. I want the team to try and acquire a centerman, I would be wiling to move Giordano, Backlund and our 1st to land a #1 centerman. I can't help but wonder if that package could land Ryan Getzlaf.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote