HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

.586 Since the All Star Break

Old
03-28-2012, 07:08 AM
DeadPuck

vCash: 500
.586 Since the All Star Break

Anyone else concerned?

Plenty of bad defensive mistakes have creeped into the Ranger's game and honestly until someone mentioned they were playing .500 hockey I really didn't notice until I just ran the numbers.

DeadPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:19 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

There are things they need to tighten up, mostly defensively, but I think they are getting there. No reason to panic. We have a 3 point lead in the conference with 6 games to go. If I had told you back in October that we'd be in this position now, you would have been thrilled.

We had a stretch where we went 7-7-2. That was our "bad" stretch. A lot of teams would be very happy to be able to call that a bad stretch of games. We've won 4 of our last 5.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:46 AM
DeadPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There are things they need to tighten up, mostly defensively, but I think they are getting there. No reason to panic. We have a 3 point lead in the conference with 6 games to go. If I had told you back in October that we'd be in this position now, you would have been thrilled.

We had a stretch where we went 7-7-2. That was our "bad" stretch. A lot of teams would be very happy to be able to call that a bad stretch of games. We've won 4 of our last 5.
If you look at sections of their record it looks pretty good, but look at the overall average gives me cause for concern, and the fact that they are getting a bit sloppy sure doesn't help me sleep at night.

These next six games will be Brutal. If the Rangers can finish out the season with some good wins I'll feel a bit better.

Jets, Canadians, Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, Caps

Old
03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Why would an overall average of almost .600 concern you if that would win 100% of the playoff series?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPuck View Post
If you look at sections of their record it looks pretty good, but look at the overall average gives me cause for concern, and the fact that they are getting a bit sloppy sure doesn't help me sleep at night.

These next six games will be Brutal. If the Rangers can finish out the season with some good wins I'll feel a bit better.

Jets, Canadians, Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, Caps
I think you can rest easy as you answered your question with your own answer.

You are looking at one section of the season and are concerned when the overall average is 48-21-7

Have we hit somewhat of a speed bump the last month? Yes, but we were never going to continue to win at the rate we were pulling wins before the deadline.

Other teams get better with acquisitions or players coming back from injury and some of that bounces that went out way early, may not go our way later in the season.

For me, the possibility that we cna end the season 30 games up on .500 in the NHL is awesome.

would I like to be winning at the same clip we were at pre-deadline? Absolutely. but I'm ok with there we are right now as well.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Ola

6 games left, up by 3 with the tie-breaker in hand on Pittsbrug for the EC, I would say that things are looking pretty awesome no-matter-what.

If Pittsburg gets 10 of 12 pts in 6 games, all we need is 7 pts in 6 games. You can't ask for much more than that.

We had some injuries and some adversity for a while, besides that we are basically playing now as we have all year. I mean, after 20 games, which was the best game we have played at that point? Unless my memory fails me, we basically had like 2 dominating games at that point (but still 12 wins). Heck, up untill the Winter Classic, almost half way into the season, we had very very few dominating games. Not many more than a handful. Or, even more relevantly, we definitely relied on strong goaltending and timely goals for a big majority of our games.

Then we definitely got on roll -- IMO atleast -- on the ice for the first time of the season following the WC. Like we were noticely the better team (even besides goaltending) for most of the games, for like a month and a half or something.

I actually think we are getting there again slowly now with everyone back. It kind of sucks to loose Zucc, because he basically gave us a new punch offensively and we needed that depth.

But look at the Colorado game for example. During 82 games, you face your fair share of teams that just did not show up on a partcular night or a goaltenders who lets in 4 goals on the first 12 shots, and it don't say much if you look at the schedule and see a 6-0 win against like a top 4 teams. We had plenty of those in 1998-2004 too. BUT, Colorado didn't mail it in against us. Thats a good team that played a hard fought game aganist us. The fact that we won the shots 42-20 says something. During October and November atleast, and for big portions of December, we still loose 3-1 but the shots are maybe 29-20 and not 42-20.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

.800 in the last 5.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
DeadPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
6 games left, up by 3 with the tie-breaker in hand on Pittsbrug for the EC, I would say that things are looking pretty awesome no-matter-what.

If Pittsburg gets 10 of 12 pts in 6 games, all we need is 7 pts in 6 games. You can't ask for much more than that.
Well put.

I do not want to be a pessimist, it's been a great year. Just do not want to see them run out of steam at this point, I really like this team with Torts at the helm.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
A .586 winning percetage is great. Over a full season that's 48 wins. Take a guess on how many we have now.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
nothing to be concerned about anything you said.

I barely remember the last time the Rangers had a record like this

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

A little perspective:

Tom Renney career winning % as a NYR coach .511
Emile Francis' career winning % as a NYR coach .602
New York Rangers highest winning % ever for a season? .699 (70-71, 71-72)

Rangers winning % so far this year? .678

A few more wins and this will be, by percentage, the best NYR team in history.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Levitate

I'm a little concerned heading into the playoffs, especially if they face a hot team like Buffalo, but realistically this is a good team that should be able to pull it together in a 7 games series against a lower seed'

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
A .586 winning percetage is great. Over a full season that's 48 wins. Take a guess on how many we have now.

Since the all-star break the Rangers are winning at essentially the same pace that they have averaged all season, quick somebody panic!!!

Stepan Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:55 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Ha, silly me - based on the header I assumed it was going to be a "positive" thread. I guess it turned out this way anyway after the context / perspective was rightfully adjusted.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post

Since the all-star break the Rangers are winning at essentially the same pace that they have averaged all season, quick somebody panic!!!
.586 was basically our point percentage last year. Is this our win percentage post all star or point percentage? Because if it's point percentage, that's not very good.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
DeadPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
.586 was basically our point percentage last year. Is this our win percentage post all star or point percentage? Because if it's point percentage, that's not very good.
Win %

Old
03-28-2012, 09:07 AM
DeadPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Ha, silly me - based on the header I assumed it was going to be a "positive" thread. I guess it turned out this way anyway after the context / perspective was rightfully adjusted.
That's what paranoia will do to you.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
MSG the place to be*

In general, people are putting way too much of a gap between the "favorites" and the "non-favorites". This isn't the NBA where the Heat would be -1200 favorites against the Bucks.

If it is Rangers vs Sabres lets say, is there really much difference between the two teams? Coming into the season these teams were on equal footing. If you simulated the season again, playstation style, you might have the roles reversed.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Crease

There was a time earlier this season when I fully expected this team to win every game they dressed up for. Even when they were down 1 or 2 in the third, I expected the team to at least get to OT.

Now there's a bit of a panic whenever the team is down. But hey, they can't stay hot forever. Glad to see them picking it back up after that .500 after the break.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:26 AM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I actually think we are getting there again slowly now with everyone back. It kind of sucks to loose Zucc, because he basically gave us a new punch offensively and we needed that depth.
The "D" seems to show signs of returning to its early season form, while Hank's subpar (for him) performance is happening now instead of in the playoffs. The one area that could really hurt the Rangers is the anemic PP. MZA appeared to be the bright light at the end of the tunnel. But now that he's out, it's back to drawing board again. *sigh!*

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:34 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
There was a time earlier this season when I fully expected this team to win every game they dressed up for. Even when they were down 1 or 2 in the third, I expected the team to at least get to OT.

Now there's a bit of a panic whenever the team is down. But hey, they can't stay hot forever. Glad to see them picking it back up after that .500 after the break.
You expected them to force OT if they were down 2 in the third? Do you know how many points they salvaged all season after being down 2 or more at any point in the game? 3. Do you know how many they salvaged after being down 2 or more in the 3rd? 0. Unrealistic expectation.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:38 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
The "D" seems to show signs of returning to its early season form, while Hank's subpar (for him) performance is happening now instead of in the playoffs. The one area that could really hurt the Rangers is the anemic PP. MZA appeared to be the bright light at the end of the tunnel. But now that he's out, it's back to drawing board again. *sigh!*
The D has been pretty poor all month, but as my thread says, they're probably giving fewer shots on goal this month than they have all season. If they cut down on the giveaways and boneheaded plays and keep the shots down, we can return to early season form when we gave the Blues a run for their money.

Old
03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Starting from the beginning of the homestand, while there have been a couple of hiccups, this team is basically where it was in January. It's not always pretty, but they're finding ways to win games. Some would say it's rarely pretty... but that's what we were doing in January too.

I know Minnesota's offense is anemic, but I think the way we finished the game last night was very important. It should give our D some confidence back. Also, if Stralman is really back to his normal self, it makes our D that much more solid.

We went through a rough stretch, but we're finding our way back.

And as for running into a hot team like Buffalo, it doesn't worry me. 2 of the last 3 years, we were that hot team and we got knocked off. Sometimes, when teams expend so much energy just getting to the playoffs, they're likely to get picked off once the playoffs actually start. It could still be a long series. Of course, that's not to say that a team middling their way down the stretch isn't a more attractive opponent... like Ottawa.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You expected them to force OT if they were down 2 in the third? Do you know how many points they salvaged all season after being down 2 or more at any point in the game? 3. Do you know how many they salvaged after being down 2 or more in the 3rd? 0. Unrealistic expectation.
I think you misinterpreted my post. What I meant to say was that based on how well-oiled the team was earlier this year, I had full confidence that they could take any game to OT, even down in the third period. The difference between the team in December and team right now in my eyes is that I get nervous in the 2nd when they're down. I hadn't felt that way earlier this season.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:03 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I think you misinterpreted my post. What I meant to say was that based on how well-oiled the team was earlier this year, I had full confidence that they could take any game to OT, even down in the third period. The difference between the team in December and team right now in my eyes is that I get nervous in the 2nd when they're down. I hadn't felt that way earlier this season.
I don't think that the Rangers are any less capable of coming back now than in December. They haven't been a great comeback team all year, though they have a number of wins when trailing after 2 (I think more than Philly even). For me the biggest difference is that with the way the D and Lundqvist have been playing I hold my breath every time a team gains our zone. Every time the friggin worst offense in the league gained the zone last night, I was nervous.