HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
He doesn't seem sharp out there, and sticks out, obviously what he's done for the organization so far has given him a leash with the fans. But Dubi's gone from being the go-to forward last year to dropping down the line up this season. He isn't out there killing penalties anymore, that Dubinsky Callahan combo out there that was so relied upon the past few seasons isn't even an option any more. Dubi's gotta get his head straightened out before the cup run. A fews off could be a blessing in disguise.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Edge

A lot of guys seem pretty lost offensively this season.

Heck, even if Boyle and Prust were scoring 10-15 goals a piece it would make a difference.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
A lot of guys seem pretty lost offensively this season.

Heck, even if Boyle and Prust were scoring 10-15 goals a piece it would make a difference.
A lot of it has to do with our abysmal breakouts which seem to be a systemic part of our gameplan for some reason. Have a forward stand still at the opposition's blue line, and have a defender throw the puck at him so he can deflect it into the zone and give the other team the puck. We have no controlled breakouts. Our best breakouts come when the other team turns it over and we can finally come with speed / as a group.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
A lot of it has to do with our abysmal breakouts which seem to be a systemic part of our gameplan for some reason. Have a forward stand still at the opposition's blue line, and have a defender throw the puck at him so he can deflect it into the zone and give the other team the puck. We have no controlled breakouts. Our best breakouts come when the other team turns it over and we can finally come with speed / as a group.
well why dont we get more group efforts :-(

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
mrhockey193195

hey guys, has there been any concern about a possible concussion with Dubi? Anytime you here about a guy "not feeling well" after a hit to the head, you worry a bit...Just wondering if any of our media guys have speculated so much, or if he really is just day-to-day.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
hey guys, has there been any concern about a possible concussion with Dubi? Anytime you here about a guy "not feeling well" after a hit to the head, you worry a bit...Just wondering if any of our media guys have speculated so much, or if he really is just day-to-day.
He said his sinuses and hand hurt.

Doesn't sound like a concussion.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Nope, try again. You still missed the point of mentioning Kane and Dubi in the same post. Really read carefully this time. Your explanation shows you have no idea what you're saying.
LOL don't worry about. I kind of like being thought of as "that guy who compared Dubinsky to Kane".

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Sticky Fingers

It seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread that seems to lead some of the Dubi "defenders" to come to the conclusion that criticizing Dubi is the same as wanna give up/trade him. That's not the case for me anyway. But since he IS struggling their will be discussions about why, what to do and so on.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

For those interested, take a look at Dubi's goals this season. Go ahead, there aren't that many.

Notice something? Not only are most of them scored off the rush (something we're not usually great at), but these are GOOD looking goals. Even more importantly, they all happen because Dubinsky's feet are moving, and he forces a defensemen and sometimes even the 'tender on their heels. What this reveals is what we all know is there: potential.

I think trading Dubinsky would be a terrible, terrible mistake. It screams of a trade that would see Dubi explode as soon as he leaves the team, with us getting not nearly enough in return.

It seems Dubinsky doesn't know what type of player he should be. At one point he was a north-south crash 'n bang (slightly undersized) power forward, much like Cally, but he when he works that finesse attempts to create offense on his own, he tends to forget to keep his feet moving, to keep grinding.

We have guys who injected offense into their down-low grinding (Cally), and guys who have added the physical-forechecking element into their skill game (D-Step), but it seems Dubi has had trouble marrying the two.

Recently (past 4-5 games) , we've seen Dubi succeed in this. Hopefully it continues into the playoffs, giving us nearly 7 top 6 caliber forwards.

We'll need that offense.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
iamthewalrus

vCash: 920
aside from being one of my favorite players, i say keep him so i dont have to call my jerseys career short

iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:51 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Dubi has 4 points in his last 4 games.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:10 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

5 points in his last 5 now (2g, 3a).

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
trilobyte

It's great that Dubinsky is playing the way he has lately. It really is up to him, and not the coaches, or his linemates, nobody but himself.
Looks like he might be simplifying things. He really can cause damage when he gets involved. He responds to being disciplined, but sooner or later, he has to stop doing the crap that gets him benched. It's growup time.

It's good to see this change, I hope he keeps mucking it up and going to the front of the net where the conflict is.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:42 PM
ltsthinaz

Dubinsky is a valuable player with talent who will rebound whenh he finds his proper role. If he weren't making 4+ million, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. While he is more of a 2nd or 3rd liner, he can potentially be one of the best in the league. He will never bring full value in a trade. I say keep him. I'm not one to trade assets, I believe in building from within mostly and adding a free agent or two as necessary (Parise?), but if anyone should get moved, I'd rather it be Anisimovr Stepan (not really wanting to move either unless we get full value in return).

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:54 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Dubinsky is a valuable player with talent who will rebound whenh he finds his proper role. If he weren't making 4+ million, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. While he is more of a 2nd or 3rd liner, he can potentially be one of the best in the league. He will never bring full value in a trade. I say keep him. I'm not one to trade assets, I believe in building from within mostly and adding a free agent or two as necessary (Parise?), but if anyone should get moved, I'd rather it be Anisimovr Stepan (not really wanting to move either unless we get full value in return).
This is where I disagree.
He should know what kind of player he is. Nobody else can decide it for him. If he is not playing consistently well, in a manner that his coach approves of and encourages, then why, why is that not happening?

I see a number of people saying that you cannot look at his contract. Okay, I won't. I will look at his play. It is very evident that he has not played consistently well this season.
It's okay when it happens to a Stepan, or a McDonagh, or a Del Zotto. It is really not so okay with Dubinsky.

Sorry, just the way I see it. My emphasis is not on how he adds intangibles, or how his plays are valuable but unheralded. No, I want to see way more goals and assists, because he is capable of them if he focusses and realizes his potential. Not everybody is p.o.'d at him just becasue he is 4.2 mil, it is that one of our favourite Rangers is floundering. No way we should have to wonder every night if he is going to make any impact.

I'm commenting because he has played better the past few games. He still has work to do. Anybody who says otherwise is wrong.

Last edited by trilobyte: 03-27-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 12:05 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
This is where I disagree.
He should know what kind of player he is. Nobody else can decide it for him. If he is not playing consistently well, in a manner that his coach approves of and encourages, then why, why is that not happening?

I see a number of people saying that you cannot look at his contract. Okay, I won't. I will look at his play. It is very evident that he has not played consistently well this season.
It's okay when it happens to a Stepan, or a McDonagh, or a Del Zotto. It is really not so okay with Dubinsky.

Sorry, just the way I see it. My emphasis is not on how he adds intangibles, or how his plays are valuable but unheralded. No, I want to see way more goals and assists, because he is capable of them if he focusses and realizes his potential. Not everybody is p.o.'d at him just becasue he is 4.2 mil, it is that one of our favourite Rangers is floundering. No way we should have to wonder every night if he is going to make any impact.

I'm commenting because he has played better the past few games. He still has work to do. Anybody who says otherwise is wrong.
I agree he has obviously had a poor season, though his recent much improved play leads me to think the problem is mental, not physical. And I don't disagree about his still having work to do.

Still, I compare him as a player to what Walter Tkachuk used to bring to the Rangers for many years. Twenty goals, 50-60 points, check the other teams top forward, topflight on the PK because he has both the speed and size to cover the points. Get it out of his mind that he's a poor man's Marian Gaborik.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:28 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
I agree he has obviously had a poor season, though his recent much improved play leads me to think the problem is mental, not physical. And I don't disagree about his still having work to do.

Still, I compare him as a player to what Walter Tkachuk used to bring to the Rangers for many years. Twenty goals, 50-60 points, check the other teams top forward, topflight on the PK because he has both the speed and size to cover the points. Get it out of his mind that he's a poor man's Marian Gaborik.
I can agree with the Walt Tkaczuk comparison, at least in terms of a goal to shoot for. Walt was consistent. The Rangers knew what that guy was bringing.

For me, I don't even like criticizing players, makes me uncomfortable because I like them and want them to succeed. I hope Dubi does well, because he really is one hell of a hockey player.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

some players have confidence issues. that is what i think Dubinsky's problem is... it is not from lack of work ethic or being lazy.....so its a shame that most fans would trade players with confidence issues heck some of the best players have had those from time to time.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Just throwing this out there....playing his best hockey since this went up.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You're welcome.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
6 points in the 14 games since this went up, and has been benched 3 times in that span. Setting the bar pretty low, aren't we?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
6 points in the 14 games since this went up, and has been benched 3 times in that span. Setting the bar pretty low, aren't we?
Not so much since this thread went up, but hes been playing well the last 10 days or so, barring the setback in Toronto (where he still scored a goal). I thought last night might have been his best game of the season. Like everyone else, I've soured on Dubinsky, but we need this guy the rest of the way. When hes right, hes got a game built for the playoffs and I think he can be a solid contributor.

What irks me if the offense, as a whole, has seemingly been unable to put it all together at any point in the season. Boyle and Dubinsky are playing well now - so are Richards and Gaborik, but where the hell have Stepan and Anisimov been?....And so its been since October - with Dubinsky being a major culprit the majority of that time.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I still see him veer away from hitting someone when I'm expecting to see him do so on the forecheck (based on the last couple of years). However, he's getting more chances and opportunities. I think Tortorella made a mistake last night starting Dubinsky on the 3rd and Anisimov on the 2nd, but it turned out all right.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Not so much since this thread went up, but hes been playing well the last 10 days or so, barring the setback in Toronto (where he still scored a goal). I thought last night might have been his best game of the season. Like everyone else, I've soured on Dubinsky, but we need this guy the rest of the way. When hes right, hes got a game built for the playoffs and I think he can be a solid contributor.

What irks me if the offense, as a whole, has seemingly been unable to put it all together at any point in the season. Boyle and Dubinsky are playing well now - so are Richards and Gaborik, but where the hell have Stepan and Anisimov been?....And so its been since October - with Dubinsky being a major culprit the majority of that time.
He's been good the last few games, but I can remember a number of times where I said the same thing, only to see him disappear soon after. He needs to be lights out the rest of the way and through the playoffs, or he's going to find himself wearing a different jersey next year.

Stepan looks a bit lost out there. He's forcing plays that just aren't there. He made a nice across-the-box feed to Richards last night on the PP, but not much else has been going on. I think he's feeling the pressure to perform.

Anisimov really looks like he's destined to be a 3rd line center. Good defensive play, but so inconsistent offensively that he'll never get a regular job in the top-six.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I'm just happy to see Dubinsky heating up at the right time.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote