HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#76 | New York Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | Mar 27 | W 5-3

Old
03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Bauer Warrior*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
OK, so I figured it out:

Buffalo goes 0-4-1 (finishes with 87 points)
Washington goes 1-4-0 (finishes with 86 points)

NYI go 6-0-0 (finish with 87 points, tied in ROWs, but have more points than Buffalo in games played between us)

Someone find Dubie and rub his head.

All miracles aside, I do give them credit for staving off elimination while at the brink when they easily could simply have given up at this point. No credit for being in this position, but it shouldn't have been unexpected.

Mitch

PS (Watch the above happen, but one of the teams 2-3 points ahead of us keeps pace...then we can just arrange the mass suicide at the Coliseum.)
Here's why this won't happen:

Yes, I can see the Islanders winning the next 2 or 3 games, because they really don't matter.

Yes, I can see both Washington AND Buffalo suffering through some big time struggles.

What I CANNOT see is the Islanders rising to the occasion in meaningful games if meaningful games should arise in these last half-dozen. The more important the game, the more likely the Islanders are to lay an egg. Or have we forgotten about the February home and home against Toronto?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortNeverLose View Post
I hate everything about the Leafs and their media.

Love seeing them made to look like idiots
Burke getting absolutely drilled in the media, even worse today that the Leafs are officially eliminated.

Leafs are tanking hard.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
bmg97

What happened to David U ?

bmg97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
I want to lose tomorrow to screw over the Rags and help us get that lottery pick but I'm going to the game. How about an OT win?

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Burke getting absolutely drilled in the media, even worse today that the Leafs are officially eliminated.

Leafs are tanking hard.
Like most fans, I want the Islanders to win, but I also want them to get a good draft pick. This causes me to root for the Islanders while watching the scores of the other games and hoping that those teams around us win also. It seems like the Leafs never win...at least recently. Minnesota is the same way. Anaheim, after a good run, seems to be cooling down, too. I think that, out of the crappy teams, the Islanders are playing the best.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
This is last year all over again when we won a few worthless games, played ourselves out of the 3rd draft slot, then watched the Devils win the draft lottery and bump us back one more.

But hey, those wins at the end of last season really helped the team grow and showed them how to win in important games, right?

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Isles4ever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Reverse the situation. Regardless of the score, if someone hit Crosby or Malkin from behind & they went into the boards you know there'd be a scuffle if not a fight.

If you're not going to protect John Tavares, then who the hell will you protect? It's a serious problem with Moulson & PAP. It's one of the reasons why they both can't remain on this line.

If this team made the playoffs as currently constructed, JT would be beaten up every shift & nothing would be done about it. it's a major problem.

Edit: and as for why this fanbase always has to find something to complain about, i think it's because the last time they won a playoff round, OJ Simpsons was thought of as an all around good guy.
Thank you!

Great post. We actually agree on something.

You are so right, reverse the situation if Crosby or Malkin were hit like that everyone on the ice for the pens would have jumped the Islander that did it.
This has been a problem with this team all year as Howie mentioned during last nights game. Howie made a point to tell the viewers that Tavares get blasted every night.
It's not just the Pens, if any NHL teams star gets blasted you can bet that the player who did it gets jumped on the ice or later in the game someone would challenge him.
I have been saying this from the start that the majority of this team are gutless pansys. The only players willing to get their nose dirty on this team is Martin and Hamonic.
I was also suprised Martin did not offer a challenge later in the game when the Isles went up 5-2.
This will keep on happening because teams know they can do anything they want and get away with it.

I also noticed our goalies getting ran all night. Snow better toughen up this team. This team would get manhandled in a playoff series.

Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
Like most fans, I want the Islanders to win, but I also want them to get a good draft pick. This causes me to root for the Islanders while watching the scores of the other games and hoping that those teams around us win also. It seems like the Leafs never win...at least recently. Minnesota is the same way. Anaheim, after a good run, seems to be cooling down, too. I think that, out of the crappy teams, the Islanders are playing the best.
The Leafs are playing with zero energy and confidence, they may not win again this year. They are also playing some prospects (like Kadri, Ashton) and their goaltending makes DiPietro look like Patrick Roy.

Isles cannot tank properly.

I'd rest Tavares (he must have dozens of bumps and bruises), have a look at Parenteau down the stretch (maybe playing with Cizikas and Grabner to see how he plays), allow Moulson to play without Tavares as well, have a look at Rakhshani and tank properly. Maybe start DiPietro for a few games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
This is last year all over again when we won a few worthless games, played ourselves out of the 3rd draft slot, then watched the Devils win the draft lottery and bump us back one more.

But hey, those wins at the end of last season really helped the team grow and showed them how to win in important games, right?

no freakin' kidding!!

Isles will win the lottery this year though. They deserve that first pick more more than Columbus.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Isles4ever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
While I don't agree with nobody standing up for him, why does this fanbase always have to find something to complain about? Were beating arguably the best team in the league in their arena, and people have to find something wrong with this team rather than enjoy it. I get he's our franchise player, but come on ... every player in the league gets hit

Who cares if we are beating the Pens now? Our season is over, we are on our way for our 5th lottery in a row and this we are sick and tired of Tavares getting ran night in and night out without anyone ever doing a damn thing.

"I get he's our franchise player, but come on ... every player in the league gets hit"

Yes every player gets hit, thats not the point! No other teams star gets abused as much as Tavares without anything being done about it. The point is Tavares has been getting run all year with no one doing a damn thing about it and the fans are sick and tired of it. We are sick of having the softest team in the league.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Isles4ever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
What could does a scuffle or fight do? We basically beat the ***** out of the pens last year, and yet there still playing a physical game against us, particularly our star. And you would rather break up our best line, one of the top producing in the league, so you can have someone retaliate when Tavares gets hit? And i dont buy that theory about having to protect your guys...look at the redwings, there a model of it...yea, they have gritty guys, but year after year they beat you by having better players and outworking their opposition.

And as for the fanbase, to each his own, but i dont see the point in being down on the team...yea, its not an ideal time to be an isles fan, but at least i can enjoy watching the games
"What could does a scuffle or fight do? We basically beat the ***** out of the pens last year, and yet there still playing a physical game against us, particularly our star.

You clearly are misinformed and have no clue what you are talking about.
Yea, we beat the S*** out of the Pens last year when we were dressing one of the toughest line-ups in the NHL.
In addition to Martin and Hamonic we had Konopka,Haley and Gilles all dressing second half of last year. You cannot try to compare last year with this year. This year we had all our toughness removed. This is the softest line-up in the NHL, period end of story.
The fans are fed up watching Tavares take beating after beating night in and night out. Reverse the situation, any other team would not allow their young star franchise player get abused on a nightly basis.

"And i dont buy that theory about having to protect your guys...look at the redwings, there a model of it...yea, they have gritty guys, but year after year they beat you by having better players and outworking their opposition."

A few years ago the Ducks won the Cup with the toughest team in the NHL and also led the NHL in fighting majors that year they won also.
The Rangers are the best team in the NHL and LEAD the NHL in fighting majors. The Bruins were one of the toughest if not the toughest team in the NHL last year and won the cup.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Fairenough

The Isles went 3-7-3 to end last season...hardly played themselves out of a higher pick by winning a lot of meaningless games. That keeps getting thrown around, but it simply isn't true.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
The Isles went 3-7-3 to end last season...hardly played themselves out of a higher pick by winning a lot of meaningless games. That keeps getting thrown around, but it simply isn't true.
That's fair enough.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
It is true when weighing the entire second half...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
I beg to differ.

We went 3-7-3 to end the season, Florida went 2-8-3. By my math, 3 wins and 3 OTLs equals 9 points while 2 wins and 3 OTLs equals 7 points. We finished 1 point ahead of Florida (and 5 points ahead of Colorado). What part of my statement is 'not true'? Did beating Florida (sonofa!), Tampa, and the Rangers help us all at? Teach the kiddies anything? Or rather, as I maintain, did it just screw us out of a better draft slot?

Don't misunderstand, I expect nothing short of 100% from the guys in the locker room, but it's just frustrating when we get a few meaningless wins after our fate is sealed. Short of Chuckles prying open the wallet (anyone willing to bet on that this summer?!), our only avenue for improvement at the moment is the draft.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I beg to differ.

We went 3-7-3 to end the season, Florida went 2-8-3. By my math, 3 wins and 3 OTLs equals 9 points while 2 wins and 3 OTLs equals 7 points. We finished 1 point ahead of Florida (and 5 points ahead of Colorado). What part of my statement is 'not true'? Did beating Florida (sonofa!), Tampa, and the Rangers help us all at? Teach the kiddies anything? Or rather, as I maintain, did it just screw us out of a better draft slot?

Don't misunderstand, I expect nothing short of 100% from the guys in the locker room, but it's just frustrating when we get a few meaningless wins after our fate is sealed. Short of Chuckles prying open the wallet (anyone willing to bet on that this summer?!), our only avenue for improvement at the moment is the draft.
Chaz pries the wallet, Garth kicks the tires. The tires are still rubber, and the wallet still closes.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote