HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Henry has earned a taste of Montreal

Old
03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
No, he hasn't.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Henry should've been called up at one point or another this year but in saying this, I do not endorse him as being in the NHL all year. He's a filler. If he couldn't fill a size need when we were smaller, why can he now that we're bigger? He's better as a mentor for our players in hamilton.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Maxpac

Gill was brutaly slow and even he managed to be effective in a defensive role, why can't Henry? It's all about needs, we made the forward groups 20x tougher than it used to be last season, and that's a good thing, but our D squad is freakishly small and we have nobody intimidating on the backend. It's not about the fights, it's about protecting the goalie, and until Tinordi is ready, I wouldnt mind having Henry as 7th D over St-Denis.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Mad Habber

This isn't about Henry making the team. This isn't about making him the 7th D. This is about giving a good soldier or valuable employee a pat on the back. If after working 40 years at the same job, your boss came to you and said on your last day before retiring, you're the boss today, I think it would be a nice gesture. You're not really the boss, it's just symbolic. Same with this. Henry isn't really an NHL D, it's symbolic. Sit Campoli, sit Nokia. Those guys shouldn't be back next year anyways. Henry has helped bring some of those guys up that are here right now. PK, Weber, St.Denis. Plus he stood up for all his teamates. Give him a candy. I remember the Habs doing it for a guy by the name of Luc Gauthier. Rather than call up the next prospect when injuries hit, they called up the vet that had no future with the parent team. Yes a 5'9" defenseman.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think Henry has proven to most that he's not really NHL-calibre full-time. But if you want to keep guys happy in your system, it's always nice to throw them a little bone with a recall and an NHL-salary paycheque or two at some point in the season, if circumstances allow it.

Henry has by all reports been an organizational asset just on the basis of his contribution in Hamilton. Our D is nothing to write home about, however, and with Weber/Diaz/Kaberle all out, I don't see how a game or two with Henry instead of Campoli could hurt anything. Or when we claimed Staubitz. He has been fine for us and all. Nothing against Staubitz. But Henry has been a character player used up front in his NHL past as well, and could have been again.

All *if* you wanted to throw him a little cash bone in the hopes of helping encourage him to stick around with the organization in the future. If you don't really care about that, then never mind. Finding experienced guys to fill AHL spots isn't exactly difficult. Just that if he's there, and happy there, and is the *right guy* there, it would be a nice gesture to give him a couple games.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I nearly spit up my drink when I read Picard's name.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think Henry has proven to most that he's not really NHL-calibre full-time. But if you want to keep guys happy in your system, it's always nice to throw them a little bone with a recall and an NHL-salary paycheque or two at some point in the season, if circumstances allow it.

Henry has by all reports been an organizational asset just on the basis of his contribution in Hamilton. Our D is nothing to write home about, however, and with Weber/Diaz/Kaberle all out, I don't see how a game or two with Henry instead of Campoli could hurt anything. Or when we claimed Staubitz. He has been fine for us and all. Nothing against Staubitz. But Henry has been a character player used up front in his NHL past as well, and could have been again.

All *if* you wanted to throw him a little cash bone in the hopes of helping encourage him to stick around with the organization in the future. If you don't really care about that, then never mind. Finding experienced guys to fill AHL spots isn't exactly difficult. Just that if he's there, and happy there, and is the *right guy* there, it would be a nice gesture to give him a couple games.
You know he is making $200,000 in the minors, so he isn't hurting for cash. He certainly doesn't make things worst. No one is saying bring the whole team up right. Give him his candy.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
One call up left.
Thanks.

I would use the last call up on Henry. Use it as a reward for his work on the farm. It's not a permanent callup, just something for him to play out the last few games.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Gill was brutaly slow and even he managed to be effective in a defensive role, why can't Henry? It's all about needs, we made the forward groups 20x tougher than it used to be last season, and that's a good thing, but our D squad is freakishly small and we have nobody intimidating on the backend. It's not about the fights, it's about protecting the goalie, and until Tinordi is ready, I wouldnt mind having Henry as 7th D over St-Denis.
I guess you can take any random defenseman in the ECHL who can barely skate and they can be an NHL defenseman because Hal Gill can do it.

Gill is slow but he's effective because he's a smart hockey player. He knows when to go down and block shots, he knows when to pinch and do all the little things. Henry doesn't have the smarts and he's not even a top pairing defenseman in the AHL, he's good for the young guys in the AHL and thats where he should stay.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Let just say that with all his years of loyal services of taking care of our youth, I'd give him a call to play the final games in the NHL. Might be his last year with our organization.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I like this idea. Guy should be recognized for his efforts. He doesn't need to be played a whole lot but when you've got a good soldier, you should reward him where you can. Games are meaningless anyways right now so give him a break. It would be a classy thing to do.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
This isn't about Henry making the team. This isn't about making him the 7th D. This is about giving a good soldier or valuable employee a pat on the back. If after working 40 years at the same job, your boss came to you and said on your last day before retiring, you're the boss today, I think it would be a nice gesture. You're not really the boss, it's just symbolic. Same with this. Henry isn't really an NHL D, it's symbolic. Sit Campoli, sit Nokia. Those guys shouldn't be back next year anyways. Henry has helped bring some of those guys up that are here right now. PK, Weber, St.Denis. Plus he stood up for all his teamates. Give him a candy. I remember the Habs doing it for a guy by the name of Luc Gauthier. Rather than call up the next prospect when injuries hit, they called up the vet that had no future with the parent team. Yes a 5'9" defenseman.
I remember that too. Gauthier wore the "C" just like Henry too.

Great post!.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Et le But

Well if we are trying to lose anyway, why not, he's been good for Hamilton.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
There are 5 games left to a season that was nothing short of terrible.

I'd bet my paycheck that the whiners in this thread are on the tank bandwagon and haven't caught on that calling up Henry would not only help in the tank department but also an easy way to give Henry a little taste of the NHL.

Anyone who thinks calling him up is a permanent thing has lost their marbles or never had any to begin with IMO.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Corncob

Don't mind the idea in the article of calling up Henry as a reward for his service. Nice pay boost for him, not like it hurts, he probably won't even play.

Shame that the idea in the article has been rather misrepresented by the likes of Habeneros and Max Pac who actually would genuinely like to see Henry on the roster in Montreal next year.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
calling up Henry would not only help in the tank department but also an easy way to give Henry a little taste of the NHL.
He's played like 175 games in the NHL...

Old
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Aurel Joliat

Nobody can be worst than St-Denis

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
What? Several of our current defensemen have been worse than St Denis.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
What? Several of our current defensemen have been worse than St Denis.
Don't bother, that poster thinks Henry is better then Hal Gill.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
habitue*

You know our D is bad when I am missing Sopel and Mara...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
WTF ?

Old
03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Josh Gorges may have also been a captain sometime in his junior career.
That's actually a myth. He never was.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:13 PM
habitue*

Henry is a mediocre, AHL level d-man. No more, no less. he has been UFA almost every season in the last 6 or 7 years and NO other organisations cared to sign him to a NHL contract, even if he is gigantic, couragous and a leader.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Henry is the team guy archetype but he is slower than Gill.

Though, on second thought, he would fit perfectly in Cunneyworth's "Hail to goons and dump and chase" philosophy!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:05 PM
SB164

1: Call up Alex Henry and give him a permanent spot with the Habs.

2: Move the team from the Bell Centre back to the old Forum, spending millions of dollars in the process.

3: ???

4: Profit

Habaneros, don't ever change

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote