HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

45 Games 16 Wins

Old
03-28-2012, 12:45 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaabs View Post
When your GM comes out and apologizes for hiring you and says that they'll re-evaluate it at the end of the season...

He was basically told he'd be fired as soon as he was hired. Management never stood behind him.

I don't see how anyone expected him to succeed in that environment
Molson did not "apologize"...

Anyway, from Day 1, it was clear that Cunneyworth was an INTERIM coach. That's the word I remember quite well. I was expecting him to be behind the bench for a handful of games while management was shopping for a permanent solution.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Molson did not "apologize"...

Anyway, from Day 1, it was clear that Cunneyworth was an INTERIM coach. That's the word I remember quite well. I was expecting him to be behind the bench for a handful of games while management was shopping for a permanent solution.
That is still stupid.

We weren't that far of a playoffs spot when JM was fired. Like the title said, RC was behind the bench 45 games. That's a ******** of games for a team to come back in a playoffs race. Why firing a guy and have absolutely no plan for the 2nd part of the season?

I hated Martin and wanted him fire but I just don't see what's the point of firing him and replacing him with RC which is even worse than Martin. There's absolutely no structure, plan and organization by PG.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:58 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
That is still stupid.

We weren't that far of a playoffs spot when JM was fired. Like the title said, RC was behind the bench 45 games. That's a ******** of games for a team to come back in a playoffs race. Why firing a guy and have absolutely no plan for the 2nd part of the season?

I hated Martin and wanted him fire but I just don't see what's the point of firing him and replacing him with RC which is even worse than Martin. There's absolutely no structure, plan and organization by PG.
Yes it was darn stupid. But it's not the first stupidity this organization has made in the last 15 + years....

Martin (and his friend Pearn) must have done something really bad (from Gauthier's pov) to be kicked off from behind the bench so fast...

Last edited by habitue*: 03-28-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 01:05 PM
sheed36

It's as if the moment Muller left the Habs bench things starting going down hill and you see the end result.

Thankfully there's only 5 games left and this nightmare season will finally be over.. Molson also needs to remove all the stagnant people running his team now and bring some fresh blood in to run his franchise next season.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Lemons

hopefully phoenix doesnt make it past first round. Tippet gets fired, Aquire Tippet, Win games.

Also i plan to win the 6/47 this weekend.

Last edited by Lemons: 03-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Well... after firing an asst coach on game day and trading a player between periods. It wouldn't have been that much of a stretch!
This made me laugh.

JM or RC? Doesn't make a difference, this team was never playoff bound. This is a bad team. Just look at that roster. It's horrible. Even with Hitchcock they would not have made the playoffs and we can all thank Gauthier for putting the final nails in the proverbial coffin by giving away for free AK and Cammy. We only have 4 players worthy of being on a top 6 (maybe 5 if Gionta is healthy). Eller might be a top 6 some day and Leblanc a very good 3rd liner but the rest are/will be 4th liners or horsecrap (I'm looking at you Bourque)!

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
MathMan

Cunneyworth is terrible. I've yet to hear a serious defense of his coaching ability.

Under him, the Habs went from a team that had trouble putting away teams after dominating play to a team that has trouble getting out of their own zone. The structure is completely gone, the approach is completely simplistic and utterly predictable, the personnel management is completely ham-fisted, the coaching philosophy is hopelessly naive and founded on discredited cliches rather than actual winning hockey. There is no transition and in a game that hinges on puck possession Cunneyworth apparently demands systematically giving up the puck by chipping it ahead. Small wonder the results follow.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Ghost View Post
JM or RC? Doesn't make a difference, this team was never playoff bound. This is a bad team. Just look at that roster. It's horrible.
It's horrible now. Before they started demolishing with trades, however, it was easily a quality playoff roster. It was likely better than the 96-point roster of last year and even that probably underachieved a bit.

It's incredible how much panicking over short-term results can derail a season, isn't it? Let's hope the next GM will have the ability to recognize an extended cold streak and leave well enough alone rather than try to fix problems that aren't there. Not getting team-building advice from the media would help.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:38 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's horrible now. Before they started demolishing with trades, however, it was easily a quality playoff roster. It was likely better than the 96-point roster of last year and even that probably underachieved a bit.

It's incredible how much panicking over short-term results can derail a season, isn't it? Let's hope the next GM will have the ability to recognize an extended cold streak and leave well enough alone rather than try to fix problems that aren't there. Not getting team-building advice from the media would help.
You really think Habs GM's care about media advices ?

yesterday's game was the perfect example of the season. Leading after 2, and loosing it finally. No confidence, no leadership, bad coaching, and more and more bad players in the roster.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Cunneyworth is terrible. I've yet to hear a serious defense of his coaching ability.

Under him, the Habs went from a team that had trouble putting away teams after dominating play to a team that has trouble getting out of their own zone. The structure is completely gone, the approach is completely simplistic and utterly predictable, the personnel management is completely ham-fisted, the coaching philosophy is hopelessly naive and founded on discredited cliches rather than actual winning hockey. There is no transition and in a game that hinges on puck possession Cunneyworth apparently demands systematically giving up the puck by chipping it ahead. Small wonder the results follow.
You perfectly described my thoughts on Cunneyworth... thanks for saving me the time!

I especially liked: "... The structure is completely gone, the approach is completely simplistic and utterly predictable, the personnel management is completely ham-fisted, the coaching philosophy is hopelessly naive and founded on discredited cliches rather than actual winning hockey. There is no transition and in a game that hinges on puck possession Cunneyworth apparently demands systematically giving up the puck by chipping it ahead..."

As mentioned by habitue "… Martin (and his friend Pearn) must have done something really bad (from Gauthier's pov) to be kicked off from behind the bench so fast..." because Cunneyworth's nomination as this team head coach was a major gaffe by Gauthier.

A poorly constructed D squad (inexperienced) + Cunneyworth's nomination = Gauthier's downfall.

PS Gauthier, contrary to Gainey, usually wins his trades/signings but the two aforementioned errors are big enough to tilt, heavily, the balance to the "Fail" side.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Kriss E

I thought RC ''got it''...

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
OneSharpMarble

Rookie coach what did you expect exactly? I wonder how many deluded clowns think Roy is gonna waltz in and run the tables in his first year.

We need an experienced coach who can play an offense first style and someone who knows how to run special teams. How this coaching staff survived this long with that power play is astonishing.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post

A poorly constructed D squad (inexperienced) + Cunneyworth's nomination = Gauthier's downfall.

PS Gauthier, contrary to Gainey, usually wins his trades/signings but the two aforementioned errors are big enough to tilt, heavily, the balance to the "Fail" side.
I'd have a third reason in there: we are last in the East and 3rd worst overall. He's presided over it. He trades 'malcontents', we get worse. He goes for size, we get worse. He puts together that d-corps...well...

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:03 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Rookie coach what did you expect exactly? I wonder how many deluded clowns think Roy is gonna waltz in and run the tables in his first year.

We need an experienced coach who can play an offense first style and someone who knows how to run special teams. How this coaching staff survived this long with that power play is astonishing.
Even more astonishing is overseeing the most inept facet of your team and being promoted. Agreed that the coaching staff must be purged absolutely.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Exactly. I don't see Roy behind the bench at all. And IF they put him there, he must be supported by two or three very experienced assistants.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
too bad he didn't pick a better year to do so. 2013 looks like a better year to bring out the tank.
Next year always does.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

yesterday's game was the perfect example of the season. Leading after 2, and loosing it finally. No confidence, no leadership, bad coaching, and more and more bad players in the roster.
Our problem earlier this year wasn't that, because we play like crap now from beginning to end. Under Martin we actually were dominating most games. Even during our horrible start, everybody were saying there's no reason to panick because we outplayed the opponents. Heck, in one game, versus the Sabres, we had more scoring chances than they had shots! That's what was happening early in the season.
RC, with the dumb decisions of PG, have destroyed this team. We are playing like a bottom place team. We didn't under Martin.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
I think the PG/Gainey has more of the blame than some people here make it seem. Looking back at this season, the records of the two coaches speak for themselves.

Under JM: 32 Games, 13 - 12 - 7

Under Randy: 45 Games, 16 - 22 - 7

I don't think JM was ever as terrible as some people made him out to be. I also don't put any blame on Randy as he's extremely inexperienced and was placed into a terrible situation and a lost cause. My question is: when do we start placing the blame on the people responsible for assembling this team? Why is it that people, like Claude Julien and Alain Vigneault, are sent packing when they are not the problem? We walked into this season with 50% of the defense combined having less than 1 season of NHL games played. One of them didn't even speak English. What exactly did we expect from that? A Stanley Cup?

I would love to have an amazing experienced coach. If the managers in charge of filling the roster don't help him out though, he will be booted just like the rest of them, once again, relieving the people responsible for the problem in the first place. This has to stop.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:10 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I rather hope they don't, but this season has been a comedy of ill-advised decisions made after they had been called for loudly by some media outlet or another.

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I think the PG/Gainey has more of the blame than some people here make it seem. Looking back at this season, the records of the two coaches speak for themselves.

Under JM: 32 Games, 13 - 12 - 7

Under Randy: 45 Games, 16 - 22 - 7

I don't think JM was ever as terrible as some people made him out to be. I also don't put any blame on Randy as he's extremely inexperienced and was placed into a terrible situation and a lost cause. My question is: when do we start placing the blame on the people responsible for assembling this team? Why is it that people, like Claude Julien and Alain Vigneault, are sent packing when they are not the problem? We walked into this season with 50% of the defense combined having less than 1 season of NHL games played. One of them didn't even speak English. What exactly did we expect from that? A Stanley Cup?

I would love to have an amazing coach. If the managers in charge of filling the roster don't help him out though, he will be booted just like the rest of them, once again, relieving the people responsible for the problem in the first place. This has to stop.
Hopefully, by April 9, the house cleaning will be in motion big time.

Old
Kriss E

Quote:

Being a rookie coach has nothing to do with him not having a system or transition to his game. I mean, he's a rookie coach in the NHL, not in his life. He coached for a long time in the minors and also has experience as an assistant in the NHL with us and Atlanta. There's no excuse for him being that bad.
Carbo was a horrible coach, and he was a lot greener than RC, it's actually not even comparable, and he still didn't look as bad as RC.

Old
Muminek

Quote:

Yes, but do we have the horses for it? Habs are a one-line team followed by offensive back holes. Will the return of Gionta and the developement of the kids be enough? Even then we need a big name forward and those aren`t easy to get. The Pens can play this style but look at their roster. Maybe a defence first system a la Preds/Coyotes would be more suited?

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
habitue*

[QUOTE=Muminek;46868175]Yes, but do we have the horses for it? Habs are a one-line team followed by offensive back holes. Will the return of Gionta and the developement of the kids be enough? Even then we need a big name forward and those aren`t easy to get. The Pens can play this style but look at their roster. Maybe a defence first system a la Preds/Coyotes would be more suited?[/QUOTE]

With the horses we have now: yes. St-louis is another prime exmple that you can get success with a solid defensive system, two excellent goalies. They have only one or two guys over 50 points and just one or two with 20 goals.... Ouch !

Old
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Next year always does.
Not to people that actually follow the draft a couple seasons in advance. But of course things can change very quickly from one season to the next.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Yes it was darn stupid. But it's not the first stupidity this organization has made in the last 15 + years....

Martin (and his friend Pearn) must have done something really bad (from Gauthier's pov) to be kicked off from behind the bench so fast...
I think PG has proven himself to be quick on the button.

Lappy had a chat with him, gone not too late after.
O'Byrne had a chat, same thing, gone the next couple days.
We have a poor start, record wise, but we actually dominate teams, pressure from media, Pearn fired.
Things improve since the horrible start, slightly back to over a .500 record, media keeps pressuring the coach for the boring games, Martin gone.
Cammy calls out team and coach for poor preparations, gets traded soon after.

I think PG has shown he is a very panicky coach. There's too many instances for them to just be coincidences.

What truly should have happened is foreseeing the possibility of missing Markov as well as Hammer, and so, going after a tough minutes Dman in the off season for depth. Not firing Pearn, not firing Martin, trying to find and actually PP shooter if the problems would have persisted as they have all year.
We'd likely be in a PO spot right now.