HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Fans in The Stands - Battle of Ontario

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
PKC*

vCash: 500
Why not institute a program where you freeze the sale of general tickets and allow for people to come in to the ticket retail locations and get first shot at Senators-Habs/Leafs games if they purchase a Sens jersey or provide proof of x number of non-Montreal/Toronto games purchased from the previous season?

Or make the events more family friendly. Sell them in ticket packages where two adults have to be accompanied by two children and set a flat rate of say $200 and it includes hot dogs and drinks.

I know there's obviously a business aspect in terms of short-term dollars versus long-term dollars. But you'd really be breeding a recipe for success by encouraging the youth in your community to come and watch the Senators. And Leaf fans would be unable to purchase the tickets because they would be denied entry at the door with the child tickets.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Ohhh Franco

I find it very frustrating and disappointing that so many people turn it back on the organization. Do we not have thicker skin than this in this town?

Typical Ottawa, always waiting and wishing someone else would do the work while everyone else stands around complaining and criticizing.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:31 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
I find it very frustrating and disappointing that so many people turn it back on the organization. Do we not have thicker skin than this in this town?

Typical Ottawa, always waiting and wishing someone else would do the work while everyone else stands around complaining and criticizing.
Then, quite frankly, you can go and don a blue jersey for all I care. If you have absolutely no desire to even TRY have a shred of decency and empathy towards people who choose not to go to Leafs games because they have very valid reasons for not wanting to go, and instead insist on piling on the parents and the older fans that make up a HUGE part of our season ticket base because they don't share your militant views regarding "fighting back", you're no better than the Leafs fans. You are part of the problem, not the solution.

Leafs board is that way. Enjoy.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Then, quite frankly, you can go and don a blue jersey for all I care. If you have absolutely no desire to even TRY have a shred of decency and empathy towards people who choose not to go to Leafs games because they have very valid reasons for not wanting to go, and instead insist on piling on the parents and the older fans that make up a HUGE part of our season ticket base because they don't share your militant views regarding "fighting back", you're no better than the Leafs fans. You are part of the problem, not the solution.

Leafs board is that way. Enjoy.
Read back a few posts and you'll see that I said you dont necessarily have to get fully involved with the crazyness....but rolling over and just giving up is ridiculous.

Everyone keeps complaining that we're a young fan base and "just wait a few years" etc etc. Well it's been 20 years and if anything, it's gotten worse.

You know what, as much as I HATE to admit it, I do envy the passion and commitment the Leafs fan base shows their organization and players.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Quote:
Read back a few posts and you'll see that I said you dont necessarily have to get fully involved with the crazyness....but rolling over and just giving up is ridiculous.

Everyone keeps complaining that we're a young fan base and "just wait a few years" etc etc. Well it's been 20 years and if anything, it's gotten worse.

You know what, as much as I HATE to admit it, I do envy the passion and commitment the Leafs fan base shows their organization and players.
You envy that we don't act like idiots and cause a bunch of crap at games?

I think you are confusing passionate with belligerent and disrespectful..

You can be passionate and not cause entire sections to fight each other, why is it we never hear of these stories from Habs games? Are they not just as passionate as Leaf fans?

Old
03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
You envy that we don't act like idiots and cause a bunch of crap at games?

I think you are confusing passionate with belligerent and disrespectful..

You can be passionate and not cause entire sections to fight each other, why is it we never hear of these stories from Habs games? Are they not just as passionate as Leaf fans?
Dont put words in my mouth. I said PASSION and COMMITMENT. Nowhere did I say act like a dick. Show up, cheer on your team, boo the opposition...be a FAN.

A large contingent of Leaf fans show up to pretty much every rink in the NHL. They put up the cash, travel, endure the heckling from the home town fans and...keep doing it...year after year. It'd be pretty cool if Sens fans could do that within a few kilometers of their own front door.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

The players & the organization seems to love it here in Ottawa & with only the exception of Leaf & Hab games every other team the Sens play in Ottawa is fine. Some people just prefer to like teams other than the home team. I like the Tiger-Cats over the Ottawa Roughrider/Renegades, I'm not going to change.

I think some people just get too emtionally involved when it comes to sports & specifically the Leafs. Let it go, they stink again this yr & are out of the playoffs for the 7th yr in a row while our team is in, enjoy that. Don't focus on they have a larger fan base & come to our games, focus on the fact that we are again the better team & in the playoffs. Leafs suck yet again.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I don't think it's ever going to get better.

Face it: they put a team right in the middle of the two largest hockey fanbases in the world, in Toronto and Montreal, both of which are in VERY short traveling distance. This city had spent almost 80 years dividing up loyalties between the Leafs and Canadiens, almost geographically along language lines: Leafs in the west end, Habs in the east.

If you think that those old Leafs and Habs fans aren't going to pass on their loyalties to their kids, you've got another thing coming. There are going to be almost as many Leaf fans in this town 20 years from now as there were 20 years ago. Same for the Habs. If you don't believe me, just look at religious statistics. Catholic parents breed catholic children, for the most part.

The fight isn't going to be "eliminating" Leaf & Habs fans in Ottawa, it's going to be controlling the behavior at the games. THAT is the battle, not some outdated sense of fight-or-flight.

Nobody that ditches their tickets to Leafs games are "rolling over and giving up", they just refuse to PAY for an evening in which they, and their children, subject themselves to 4 hours of taunting, homophobic slurs, and possible violence. And pay, might I add, the highest ticket price of any game for this "privilege".

This isn't some militarized movement against leafs fans. It never can be, because they are never going away. Ever. If you think they are, I hate to be the one to tell you otherwise. Leaf fans used to FILL the old Winnipeg arena before the Jets left in the 90's, even 25 years after Winnipeg first got the WHA Jets. I lived in Vancouver for a few years from '05-'06, and I can remember GM Place hosting at LEAST 7-9k Leafs fans, over 35 years after getting their team. And, might I remind you, NEITHER of those cities were a mere 4 hour drive away, like we are.

The answer is controlling the chaos. It's not going away.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
They should make ads with WWII propaganda-style posters about the perils of selling tickets for Sens/Leafs games to the enemy
LOL This is a great idea, i could just imagine the creativity that would ensue!

Old
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Dont put words in my mouth. I said PASSION and COMMITMENT. Nowhere did I say act like a dick. Show up, cheer on your team, boo the opposition...be a FAN.

A large contingent of Leaf fans show up to pretty much every rink in the NHL. They put up the cash, travel, endure the heckling from the home town fans and...keep doing it...year after year. It'd be pretty cool if Sens fans could do that within a few kilometers of their own front door.
No one is saying not to do that. The problem is that nobody wants to do that while some trailer trash Leafs fans, already 10 beers in, starts calling their 5 year old a "*** Sens *****".

That is the problem. NOT fan loyalty.

Last edited by PatrickEaves: 03-28-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: profanity
Old
03-28-2012, 01:57 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Meh I doubt things will change much, were the Devils of our area, small team sandwiched between 2 huge markets, like them and NYR and Philly. We can take solace in the fact that much like the Devils, were a way better run organisation compared to our 2 counterparts.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
No one is saying not to do that. The problem is that nobody wants to do that while some trailer trash Leafs fans, already 10 beers in, starts calling their 5 year old a "*** Sens *****".

That is the problem. NOT fan loyalty.
Youre really not going to be able to control the chaos. This is sports. There is alcohol served. There is passion and civic pride involved. Deal with it...or step up...or walk away. Seems like this fan base and city have chosen to walk away.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Ohhh Franco

Did any of you feel a little bit of pride or have fun with all the heckling and ruckus that was caused at the All Star Fantasy Draft and the overall hatred that was directed at the Leafs players the entire All Star weekend?

Old
03-28-2012, 02:18 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Youre really not going to be able to control the chaos. This is sports. There is alcohol served. There is passion and civic pride involved. Deal with it...or step up...or walk away. Seems like this fan base and city have chosen to walk away.
Why not contact representatives from the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees to see what kind of measures they've taken to reduce the infiltrations from the other fan base in to their building? That rivalry is far more bitter than ours with the Leafs and the two cities are roughly the same distance away from each other as Ottawa and Toronto are. There could be something to be gleaned from them. And their stadiums hold over twice the amount of people that ours do.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
Why not contact representatives from the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees to see what kind of measures they've taken to reduce the infiltrations from the other fan base in to their building? That rivalry is far more bitter than ours with the Leafs and the two cities are roughly the same distance away from each other as Ottawa and Toronto are. There could be something to be gleaned from them. And their stadiums hold over twice the amount of people that ours do.
Their fans show up. Their Season Ticket holders pass their tickets down - generation, to generation, to generation. They dont sell them off, especially to rival fans, to offset their tickets cost.

I've been to both stadiums...wearing Jays gear and was heckled beyond belief. I was called every name in the book. I was afraid to take a piss at Fenway because I thought I was going to get thrown in to the trough.

Difference in those cities with those teams...people care...deep down.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Ohhh Franco

In cities like Boston and New York they use their teams and specifically those games as a chance to say "My team, my city, my existence is better than yours".

Old
03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Well, good for you. I'm glad that you think that the parents and elderly who attend every game other than the Toronto ones should just take it from Leafs fans... and if they don't, they should "step up" to violent drunken buffoons with their kids in tow, OR "step up" as a 65 year old to 25 year old Leafs fans. And if they don't do that, they should walk away... which you seem to equate to "cowards".

That's real big of you. Good job. That's what we needed: someone to call the parents and the elderly "cowards". I'm sure we can get this thing solved now. Thanks for the input there, chief.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Quote:
Their fans show up. Their Season Ticket holders pass their tickets down - generation, to generation, to generation. They dont sell them off, especially to rival fans, to offset their tickets cost.

I've been to both stadiums...wearing Jays gear and was heckled beyond belief. I was called every name in the book. I was afraid to take a piss at Fenway because I thought I was going to get thrown in to the trough.

Difference in those cities with those teams...people care...deep down.
LOL.. Yeah funny, when i go to Bruins games with my Ottawa gear, I don't get that.. Can't be that different of a crowd... Sure you always have a few people that will throw a comment here or there, but they are isolated.. I've been to many NHL arenas and the only time i've ever had that level of crap was at SBP during a Leafs game..

I've been to the ACC and it isn't as bad!

Can't say I've been to Fenway for a Jays game so I don't know maybe Red Sox fans are like that...

Old
03-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
LOL.. Yeah funny, when i go to Bruins games with my Ottawa gear, I don't get that.. Can't be that different of a crowd... Sure you always have a few people that will throw a comment here or there, but they are isolated.. I've been to many NHL arenas and the only time i've ever had that level of crap was at SBP during a Leafs game..

I've been to the ACC and it isn't as bad!

Can't say I've been to Fenway for a Jays game so I don't know maybe Red Sox fans are like that...
Umm...the Bruins actually market their team in that fashion. They probably have one of, if not, the best marketing departments in sports. Ever seen the Bruins Bear commercials?

Old
03-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I don't care about the Leafs. I think that might be my biggest flaw when it comes to this topic. The only person who draws any ire from me is Brian Burke, and it's mostly because of the Ducks.

I hate the Penguins and I hate the Sabres. I love attending those games. It helps that the Sens actually has a rivalry with the other team. These games are fun to watch. There are always pockets of rival fans to heckle if one so chooses as well.

All six Sens/Leafs game were as dull as they come. Any sort of fight or scrum seemed forced and contrived. I'm not paying inflated prices for that. Only one game was actually close throughout.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
20 years is not long enough. How many people aged 20-25 can buy season tickets?

Old
03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I've had full season tickets since I was 21.

In retrospect I probably should've bought a car first, but oh well. I have no passion.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Too many old people. Too many young people. Too many corp tickets. Not enough corp tickets. Geez...it never ends around here.

You can get a package for as low as $15 a game. I believe we are in the top two cheapest NHL tickets in Canada....if not the cheapest.

Enough with the excuses!

Old
03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
You can get a package for as low as $15 a game. I believe we are in the top two cheapest NHL tickets in Canada....if not the cheapest.

Enough with the excuses!
Questioning a few fans on this site isn't going to get you anywhere, especially the parents.

It's obvious the fanbase needs some sort of push to get over the hump. Find some creative way to do it. Maybe some sort of grassroots fan driven campaign?

See if you can involve the Red Scarf Union, if they even exist anymore. You can be a hero of sorts. Don't walk away from this.

Maybe something like: www.sellyourleafsticketstosensfans.org

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 03-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
Questioning a few fans on this site isn't going to get you anywhere, especially the parents.

It's obvious the fanbase needs some sort of push to get over the hump. Find some creative way to do it. Maybe some sort of grassroots fan driven campaign?

See if you can involve the Red Scarf Union, if they even exist anymore. You can be a hero of sorts. Don't walk away from this.
A push, yep, for sure. Its obviously not in our DNA. Lets be honest, not many of us have ever had anything Ottawa based to really be proud of or throw our heart and support behind.

Just like most things on here or in our city, RSU was mocked...hated on...ripped to shreds.

Its a pretty solid idea and although lacking organization, has done a pretty good job.

Closed Thread