HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes Lounge III

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Nope. Not even close. The current cash option is 255 million which, given 26 years worth of compounding or investing, will be worth way more than the annualized payout. That's not even taking inflation into consideration. At 2 or 3%, you lose about half your value over the course of the annualized schedule. The only reason you ever take the annualized payout is if you think you won't be able to handle the change. At these money levels, even the annualized payment is equal to most small jackpots, so it becomes irrelevant.

You win, you hire the best lawyers and financial advisers you can find. You diversify that money across different asset classes and then draw a small amount of interest every month. Even a small rate on such a large amount is likely $100,000+ per month. I'm not saying I couldn't spend that much (I'd likely adjust) but that's plenty.
I reading the pros and cons of both taking lump sum and annunity and it looks the advice being given is this.

If you are bad with money, take the annunity.
If you are good with money, take the lump sum.

I will say this though if I do win the jackpot.

1. I won't buy a home over $10 million(although some I saw on Zillow.com are very nice) but Ill try to get a steal on a home where the current asking price is between $3-5 million for half of that.
2. I will still buy used wheels and trade in for somethng newer every 2 years.
3. I won't see the world but Ill happly take vacations in this corner of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeister View Post
all this talk, I just bought two tickets. One was a random, one was all my favorite players from the team.

I don't stand a chance lol
No one who plays does but you never know.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I like these 2 homes alot.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/88.../7860117_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/(u...22163033_zpid/

Old
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
moosemeister

Ugh I wish. I'm currently in the market for a home for rent. Probably in Chandler. I wish I could just buy one but student loans suck

Old
03-25-2012, 08:10 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I reading the pros and cons of both taking lump sum and annunity and it looks the advice being given is this.

If you are bad with money, take the annunity.
If you are good with money, take the lump sum.
No, the correct interpretation is that only morons would take the annuity. You don't have to be good with money to see that. You also will be able to afford the best managers that are out there. With that much raw cash, you go to the front of line as far as hedge funds go. The goal would be to earn enough to outrun inflation and your own personal spending. If you don't go bat**** crazy, it's hard to blow through 100k a month. Even after skimming off the interest, you'd still be building at 2-5% per year. Barring a societal meltdown or the destruction of the human race, you'd be a billionare by traditional retirement age if you started young enough.

But we all know a half-in-the-grave 70+ retiree is going to win.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
That "system" is a society wherein those who already have money don't need to play the lottery because there's an entire financial industry built to give them bigger gains with lower risks.
As a percentage the gains and risks are the same but obviously %3 of $10,000,000 is a lot more than %3 of $10,000. So yeah if you have money it's not that difficult to make more, unfortunately being money savvy doesn't mean you have a lot of money to start with and vice versa.

Quote:
No, the correct interpretation is that only morons would take the annuity. You don't have to be good with money to see that. You also will be able to afford the best managers that are out there. With that much raw cash, you go to the front of line as far as hedge funds go. The goal would be to earn enough to outrun inflation and your own personal spending. If you don't go bat**** crazy, it's hard to blow through 100k a month. Even after skimming off the interest, you'd still be building at 2-5% per year. Barring a societal meltdown or the destruction of the human race, you'd be a billionare by traditional retirement age if you started young enough.

But we all know a half-in-the-grave 70+ retiree is going to win.
Aahh the hubris of youth. I don't disagree with you here but I will say I wish life was as cut and dry as you like to make it sound XX.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 03-25-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

If I won the lottery I would invest in a minor league team or league after Id sent my money out to work for me and make more money

Old
03-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
So, with $2000 in to my truck since the 1st of the year with another $1000 to go (as far as I know), I am considering buying another vehicle. Any suggestions? I would prefer a 4x4 but all options are open for under $10,000.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

If your concern is maintence costs then you maybe better off buying something newer maybe get someting brand new if there is free maintence for life of the 4x4.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
So, with $2000 in to my truck since the 1st of the year with another $1000 to go (as far as I know), I am considering buying another vehicle. Any suggestions? I would prefer a 4x4 but all options are open for under $10,000.
Get a wrangler. I miss my 95 YJ. Easiest manual vehicle I have ever driven. Lots of fun too! In flag, seems like everyone has one.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:17 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Get a used Ranger or Tacoma if you want a truck, but stick to 2WD. The ranger especially hasn't changed much in the last 20 years or so. Very popular in commercial circles as well. That means cheap parts, easy to fix and readily available. A used Nissan Sentra or Versa should be cheap and reliable if you want a car. A new Versa (base) goes for around 10k, so you could find a decently optioned, gently used one for less than that. Rav 4, Camry, Accord, Elantra are all good options.

Nothing wrong with getting twice the gas mileage either.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Get yourself a used Kia or Hyundai and take advantage of that massive warranty and great gas mileage. You can be automobile worry free for many years while you get yourself into a better financial situation. Then when you're ready you can make a meaningful upgrade should you wish.

Of course when I was young and someone gave me the same advice, I went out and bought a relatively new Trans Am instead and honestly it was one of the better decisions I've ever made! That said I'm a bit of a car guy so I probably get more enjoyment out my vehicle than most.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 03-27-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I won my money back a a few bucks as the Mega Millions jack pot is now up to $476 Million.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:15 AM
doaner

We bought a 2010 Toyota corolla that is awesome on gas. We were driving 120 miles to church each way for about 7 months. This car saved us a lot on gas. About 40mpg.

Old
03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I won my money back a a few bucks as the Mega Millions jack pot is now up to $476 Million.
That's crazy. Even matching 4 gets you something like 250k

Old
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

anyone else attend that crazzzzzy Team MEET and greet event lastnight?

Last edited by TeamTippett: 03-28-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
That's crazy. Even matching 4 gets you something like 250k
I bet and looks likt the jackpot amount changed.

Now its $500 million.

http://www.megamillions.com/

Old
03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
anyone else attend that crazzzzzy Team meat and greet event lastnight?
What's team meat? Lol

Old
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
anyone else attend that crazzzzzy Team meat and greet event lastnight?
Heard someone talking about it but must have been for full season ticket holders...Halfers got the shaft and no meat

Old
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Heard someone talking about it but must have been for full season ticket holders...Halfers got the shaft and no meat
I waited in line from 5,15 until 8,40 and I only got to see 4 players, Doan stayed and met everyone (best Captain in all of sports) i totally understood players had to get home to family, but it was a let down. God bless Doan, he will talk, take photos and do whatever any fan asks. But it holds up the line when 2,000 people want individual photos.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

So now that Love is out at ASU and the Mayor is leaving Glendale, I must ask: Nationally which group has the worst image 1) City of Glendale Leaders or 2) the Administration at ASU?

ESPN killed the coaching search but Canadians having been killing Glendale leaders just as bad.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:01 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
I waited in line from 5,15 until 8,40 and I only got to see 4 players, Doan stayed and met everyone (best Captain in all of sports) i totally understood players had to get home to family, but it was a let down. God bless Doan, he will talk, take photos and do whatever any fan asks. But it holds up the line when 2,000 people want individual photos.
Who were the other players? That really is an awesome thing to have though, a player that will stick around to meet the fans.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
So now that Love is out at ASU and the Mayor is leaving Glendale, I must ask: Nationally which group has the worst image 1) City of Glendale Leaders or 2) the Administration at ASU?

ESPN killed the coaching search but Canadians having been killing Glendale leaders just as bad.
Neither since the attention is on much bigger people.

Also, school adminastration is a big problem at almost university. The UofA is just as bad as a result of when Peter Likins was president.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

We got there at 5 and met all of the players except Whitney. The line was slow, but once we got to the front it went quickly. We were still quite a ways out at 6:45 and the guy in front of us was agreeing that there was no way they'd be done by 7:30. The line was just way too long!

Everyone was very nice, Doan was friendly as always. My son asked if he remembered him from the ice den a cuple of weeks ago and he said he did. I doubt it (I know I wouldn't have!) but it made the kids evening, so I won't say anything otherwise.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

ASU clearly should fire Crow. But it will take a lot of work to change the national perception of ASU. Perhaps the new AD Patterson could do it but part of why they didnt get Summlin was because when he asked who he would report too, Crow, Patterson, and Love could not answer that directly...So a new president and a better AD could change the whole perception in the distant future. By Arizona getting rid of Livengood and getting Byrne, the national image of Arizona changed in just a few short years.

Perhaps a new staff could change Glendale's image. I am not sure what city in the Valley has the best image. Even Scottsdale has had their problems with Mayors but it seems stable now. A new City Manager would help the Coyotes in my opinion but that is not going to happen soon enough to help right now.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
We bought a 2010 Toyota corolla that is awesome on gas. We were driving 120 miles to church each way for about 7 months. This car saved us a lot on gas. About 40mpg.
240 miles? For church?! Well no one can say you're not dedicated I guess.

Closed Thread