HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Sabres @ Capitals 7:00 PM ET 03/27/2012

Old
03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
coyote

vCash: 500
holtby

my question is, where were the d men to help him

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:16 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
my question is, where were the d men to help him
goal 1 they were behind the goal line helping him and he gave the puck away.
goal 2 they iirc were engaged with checks when he gave up a bad rebound
goal 3 he kicked rebound up the slot past both defensemen who were engaged with checks.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:29 AM
bonzilla

goal 1 - No way!..Sarge was doping around in the corner smelling his finger - not noticing that his goalie was behind the net playing the puck, not noticing that a pass/clear was comming his way. Never reacted to goalie, man nor puck.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
goal 1 - No way!..Sarge was doping around in the corner smelling his finger - not noticing that his goalie was behind the net playing the puck, not noticing that a pass/clear was comming his way. Never reacted to goalie, man nor puck.
There's not a Dman on the team that would have received that pass. There was way too much on it, and it came too quickly.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
There's not a Dman on the team that would have received that pass. There was way too much on it, and it came too quickly.
Maybe..but it wasn't too hot for Boyes to handle and onetme it to McCormick!..and Boyes was what, 3-4 feet from Shultz?

Old
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Holtby's errant pass went out and away from Schultz, right to a Sabre. Last night was a total team effort in a bad loss, but Holtby did himself no favors on that bad pass.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
plusone

I never really said Hunter was right for saying we lost because of the hot goalie. What I was saying was it isn't like he is wrong that Miller is hot. Dude has only lost 7 or so game since the end of January and is barely giving up 2 goals a game. He's the biggest reason that the Sabres have risen from the grave. Hunter pulling out this excuse is BS however. Miller didn't look that great and there wasn't any sort of constant pressure on him outside of the first 5 to 10 minutes. You could have sworn it was the Caps playing with 4 dmen (in before someone says well..........).

As for all of the goalies I'm not sure McPhee could have seen that almost every goalie in his entire system would be playing mediocre this year. The same things we saw last night from Holtby is the same thing he's been doing in Hershey. Holtby is a great puck handler but he's got to learn when and where to do it. If anything it's hopefully an indication to a lot of fans that there is a reason that they went out and got Vokoun. Could you imagine where this team would be if they had went with Neuvy and Holtby?

I think it's still easy to overlook that in many key positions this is still a very young team. Carlson and Neuvy (to pick them out) are still big time studs even if they've had disappointing seasons.

plusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
txpd

holtby shot the puck right to boyes. nearly right on his stick. that puck coming from the goalie is supposed to be on the boards. smelling his finger. you are funny.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:33 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
There was too much mustard on that pass, but Sarge didn't react if at all. He could also have yelled NO as the guy was bearing down on him.

If that was a mobile mover or someone that has worked with Holtby and know he leads players, perhaps he saves the day.

Tending is just killing this team. In part because we seem too weak to have the Pink Floyd meddle to overcome that early goal against.

Lame duck C depth is killing this team.

Our best defensemen Wideman and Green are closer to our worst. Which says a lot since the kids have plenty of turnovers. Our only consistent players, Hammer and Alzner.

The trap may be hurting the team but there is plenty wrong no matter the system.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
There was too much mustard on that pass, but Sarge didn't react if at all. He could also have yelled NO as the guy was bearing down on him. If that was a mobile mover or someone that has worked with Holtby and know he leads players, perhaps he saves the day.

Tending is just killing this team. In part because we seem too weak to have the Pink Floyd meddle to overcome that early goal against.

Lame duck C depth is killing this team.

Our best defensemen Wideman and Green are closer to our worst. Which says a lot since the kids have plenty of turnovers. Our only consistent players, Hammer and Alzner.

The trap may be hurting the team but there is plenty wrong no matter the system.
..now beating a dead horse's brother..But exactly!

.."lead Sarge with a pass"..now that's funny!!

..and thank's for the high praise tx!

Old
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
txpd

Quote:
....and thank's for the high praise tx!
no problem. it gave me an "interesting" insight into what you do in your spare moments.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Varly and Scott Stevens in his prime...how I wish how I wish you were here, we're just two lost souls swimming in fish bowl year after year.

It wouldn't be enough though with our centers. :/

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
no problem. it gave me an "interesting" insight into what you do in your spare moments.
Lol,tx!!..and btw, just for fun I often read your posts in Hank Hill's voice.

So does anyone else do that? Read certain people's posts in a particular voice?

Old
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
..now beating a dead horse's brother..But exactly!

.."lead Sarge with a pass"..now that's funny!!

..and thank's for the high praise tx!
Players simply have to have their head on a swivel. I don't think its unusual for an experienced Dman to know, wow the greenhorn G is holding that waaaay too long. And look around, and see plain as day, that RW crashing down on him. And act. But our entire D corp lacks aggressiveness, and sits there like an idiot.

At that point, the Dman must be ready to engage. If the puck comes to him or not, the player sure is. Big oafs must never forget to play the man, never let a guy get in between him and the goal. No excuses. At that point, abandon the puck, engage and prepare for battle. Cut the guy off. Or, shade towards Holtby, talk to him, cut the distance the pass needs to go and thus how far away it may go. That was a bad play all around. Greenhorn G, still learning Ds.

Leading Sarge is one way to try to make the stubborn mule skate. Rumor has it JJ tied Sarge's iphone to his twig blade during the scratch days and told him you can send a smiley to Karl if you can catch up to it. The ole donkey and the carrot trick.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-28-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 01:32 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
love it. sophmore slump equals moron, retarded and full on stupid. subban is worse this season than carlson. doughty was worse last season in his sophmore season than carlson and then held out.

tyler myers was hideous much of this season. frankly alzner is the exception to the rule. in fact it might be that he hasnt regressed in at least part because he of his two seasons of up and down to hershey that so many said proved mcphee was ruining him.
Subbans been way better this year than Carlson take the homer glasses off.

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Varly and Scott Stevens in his prime...how I wish how I wish you were here, we're just two lost souls swimming in fish bowl year after year.

It wouldn't be enough though with our centers. :/
The dream is gone.

I have become comfortably numb.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Jeremy2020

Miller was good, but after early in the game, the caps looked half asleep.

Last edited by Jeremy2020: 03-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Some have ripped Carlson and Neuvy for their performances this year, but what about MoJo? I was thinking about him while watching the game last night. How with Nicky out hurt MoJo had the chance to really push through and make a difference in Nicky's place. Seems like a missed opportunity on MoJo's part.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Im really happy with him. Hes a battler, coach Dale Hunter said. You see him handle the puck. I think he really helps our D a lot making decisions. Its always a risk-reward thing when the goalies leave their net, but he does it very well.

How do you feel now Hunter about the decision on your goaltender?

And I wonder what the players thought. Neuvy hasn't been exceptional for sure but he's had good games too and more meaningful wins.
One puckhandling mistake...really? There is PLENTY of blame to go around on the whole roster. Every single player has made disastrous errors here and there.

Going with Holtby was the right call. Neuvirth has been underwhelming this year to say the least even though he has been given several opportunities to keep the job over Vokoun.

Simply put our goaltending has not been good this year overall. The good news is that 2 of the 3 guys are still very young and have plenty of upside.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:35 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Some have ripped Carlson and Neuvy for their performances this year, but what about MoJo? I was thinking about him while watching the game last night. How with Nicky out hurt MoJo had the chance to really push through and make a difference in Nicky's place. Seems like a missed opportunity on MoJo's part.
I said this same thing a few weeks back and roundly flamed and bombarded with information about how he's producing better than last year. To which I say, MEH!

He's been given the opportunity to play top line center with Alex ****ing Ovechkin and has been most notable for his failure to either effectively set Ovie up or be in position to receive Ovie's passes. He has NOT stepped up when presented with a HUGE opportunity and that has cost us big time.

It reinforces the point that we lack center depth, but Mojo, with the chance of a lifetime in front of him, has consistently underwhelmed. Very disappointing.

That said, he is very young so he can still improve.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:37 PM
tycoonheart

Sarge is never going to be the player we want him to be. He is a big awkward guy. He doesn't particularly skate well, he isn't physical at all, he whiffs on hits... he's just clumsy. And this has nothing to do with that first goal last night, I don't fault Sarge one bit.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Sarge is never going to be the player we want him to be. He is a big awkward guy. He doesn't particularly skate well, he isn't physical at all, he whiffs on hits... he's just clumsy. And this has nothing to do with that first goal last night, I don't fault Sarge one bit.
I agree, sadly. On last night's play, what bothered me about him was that he just stood there. A better player at least makes an attempt to recover, to try and check the man. But yeah, mostly just a bad pass.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
One puckhandling mistake...really? There is PLENTY of blame to go around on the whole roster. Every single player has made disastrous errors here and there.

Going with Holtby was the right call. Neuvirth has been underwhelming this year to say the least even though he has been given several opportunities to keep the job over Vokoun.

Simply put our goaltending has not been good this year overall. The good news is that 2 of the 3 guys are still very young and have plenty of upside.
I find Hunter quotes humorous because he has a habit of having them either bite him in the arse or they contradict something said earlier.

Never said Holtby was the only one to blame. Carlson is in a sophomore slump. Schultz is back in lala land. Add Holtby to that mix and Hunter got what he deserved - more than once.

I'll ditto another poster's opinion that playing Holtby in one of the most important games of the year in a position where communication is paramount was something that could have been avoided - by the coach.

Neuvy has had good games too. Vokoun has had good games too. They both have had bad games too and now so has Holtby.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

This team must live or die with Vokoun the rest of the way. If he truly wants a chance to play playoff hockey, he must rise to the occasion, be the guy he's supposed to be, and steal some games down the stretch.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Braden yells at me when I do it.

The kids frustrating as hell, and coaching could work on him except we have an absentee coach tanking so he can go farm.

His biggest problem is he goes spastic with wide open nets in front of him. This whole team goes spastic in a lot of situations.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote