HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Cally for Selke??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  #1
VJ Rangerfan
Registered User
 
VJ Rangerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Cally for Selke??

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/0...ce=twitterfeed

I'm all for it guys. I'm hoping he can pull it down. Def some stiff competition but I'm one that thinks he's def opened the eyes of many around the NHL.

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
  #2
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Sure.... and what about Henke? Does he still have a shot at the Vezina?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
  #3
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan
 
AdamBanks99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
no disrespect to cally, but he's not in the same league as dats as a two way player. cally's a great pk'er, but he's not an elite defensive forward at even strength.

and yes, hank is still a lock for the vezina in my opinion.

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:53 PM
  #4
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Isn't Cally about even in +/-? I believe he has one of the worst +/-s on the team.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
  #5
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
He's not winning it over Dats, Kesler, or Bergeron. Centers have more defensive responsibility, so they usually win it anyway.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:04 PM
  #6
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
I think Backes has a better shot.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:16 PM
  #7
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,398
vCash: 500
i'm just hoping for a nom. that would be amazing. no way he wins though.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
  #8
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,900
vCash: 500
Realistically, he isn't ready yet for the Selke. He hasn't earned it nor earned a nomination. That said, Callahan will get recognition for the Selke and has a legitimate shot to finish top-10 in voting for the Selke. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Callahan finished 9th once before in Selke voting?

After another year or two, where Callahan can score 30+ goals and 60+ points, while continuing his work ethic, blocking shots, and improving his +/-, his reputation will get him in the talks for it. He's not there yet.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:43 PM
  #9
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,398
vCash: 500
just for reference, Jere Lehtinen is the only winger to have won the Selke in the last 20 years (3 times) and before that Dirk Graham and Craig Ramsay once each and Bob Gainey during the trophy's first 4 inaugural years. That's 24 out of 33 winners that were centers.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
  #10
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
just for reference, Jere Lehtinen is the only winger to have won the Selke in the last 20 years (3 times) and before that Dirk Graham and Craig Ramsay once each and Bob Gainey during the trophy's first 4 inaugural years. That's 24 out of 33 winners that were centers.
Yeah it usually goes to pivots and for good reason... Cally may be great on the PK but the guy is a forechecker, not a 3rd man high.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
  #11
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to ***** about the Selke award. It's complete crap that it almost always goes to a player who is at least above average offensively rather than a true defensive specialist. Seriously, where are the Jay Pandolfos and Blair Betts in the Selke voting? Look at the point totals of the winners since the lockout:

Kesler -- 73
Datsyuk -- 70
Datsyuk -- 97
Datsyuk -- 97
Brind'Amour -- 82
Brind'Amour -- 70

Past winners before that were frequently very good -- if not elite -- offensive players like Fedorov, Francis, Peca, Gilmour, and Yzerman. In fact, there have only been five instances in the past 20 years where a player won the award with less than 50 points: Guy Carbonneau in '92 (39 pts), Jere Lehtinen in '98 and '03 (42 and 48), John Madden in '01 (38), and Kris Draper in '04 (40).

It's like the Gold Glove award in baseball, where the only people who win without being very good offensive players are those with other-worldy defensive skills (ie Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, Rey Ordonez).

It's supposed to be the best defensive forward, not the best two-way forward. It's ******** if you ask me.

/rant over

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:06 PM
  #12
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
It's going to be hard for Callahan to win while Datsyuk, Kesler, and Backes are in the league.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:22 PM
  #13
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,371
vCash: 500
I think it'll go as usual.

Nomination, votes, but blown out of the water by Datsyuk.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
  #14
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin
 
Thordic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kearny, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 822
I can't see Cally winning the Selke. Nothing against him, but it's just not his trophy. He's a good two-way player, but not an elite two-way player.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  #15
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Realistically, he isn't ready yet for the Selke. He hasn't earned it nor earned a nomination. That said, Callahan will get recognition for the Selke and has a legitimate shot to finish top-10 in voting for the Selke. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Callahan finished 9th once before in Selke voting?

After another year or two, where Callahan can score 30+ goals and 60+ points, while continuing his work ethic, blocking shots, and improving his +/-, his reputation will get him in the talks for it. He's not there yet.
He was nominated last year.

He will probably get nominated again.

Every year THN releases all the final stats, votes, yada yada. Callahan was voted for, albeit nowhere near as much as the finalists.

He will get some votes.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
  #16
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to ***** about the Selke award. It's complete crap that it almost always goes to a player who is at least above average offensively rather than a true defensive specialist. Seriously, where are the Jay Pandolfos and Blair Betts in the Selke voting? Look at the point totals of the winners since the lockout:

Kesler -- 73
Datsyuk -- 70
Datsyuk -- 97
Datsyuk -- 97
Brind'Amour -- 82
Brind'Amour -- 70

Past winners before that were frequently very good -- if not elite -- offensive players like Fedorov, Francis, Peca, Gilmour, and Yzerman. In fact, there have only been five instances in the past 20 years where a player won the award with less than 50 points: Guy Carbonneau in '92 (39 pts), Jere Lehtinen in '98 and '03 (42 and 48), John Madden in '01 (38), and Kris Draper in '04 (40).

It's like the Gold Glove award in baseball, where the only people who win without being very good offensive players are those with other-worldy defensive skills (ie Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, Rey Ordonez).

It's supposed to be the best defensive forward, not the best two-way forward. It's ******** if you ask me.

/rant over
It is obnoxious. I agree.

Same with the Norris. Girardi should be a prime candidate and finalist for the Norris but he doesn't have the points. It isn't supposed to be best offensive defenseman, rather its supposed to be best defenseman.

There needs to be separate trophies for top offensive and defensive defensemen.

And separate trophies for top defensive and offensive forwards.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
  #17
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,618
vCash: 500
I have a feeling Cally may never get nominated in the top 3 for Selke voting, let alone win the award. Kesler, Datsyuk, Backes, M. Richards, Bergeron, Toews, J. Staal, etc... There's a lot of stiff competition out there and it's usually an award reserved for centers.

Cally is a great shotblocker and good PKer but he is not elite defensively at even strength. He's on the ice for a lot of goals at even strength, which is due in part to playing with Richards who is not great defensively, but I've also noticed that Cally's positioning hasn't been that good this year.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
  #18
Xtranova
Registered User
 
Xtranova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Hank locked for Vezina? I know this is OT, but Elliott's stats are trough the roof now... Typical NHL to pass up on us innit??

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
  #19
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Hank locked for Vezina? I know this is OT, but Elliott's stats are trough the roof now... Typical NHL to pass up on us innit??
He doesn't have the games played. The only way he wins it is if the NHL decides to split the Vezina between him and Halak. Not impossible, but extremely doubtful. Hank has been marketed WAY more than Elliott, who has yet to prove this isn't a flash in the pants season for him. As long as Hank can be good(not necessarily amazing), the trophy is his.

As far as Cally winning the Selke? Probably never. As has been said, centers get it more than anybody else. His +/- this season hasn't been outstanding. Not to say he hasn't been solid D wise, because he has.


Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 03-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
  #20
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ Rangerfan View Post
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/0...ce=twitterfeed

I'm all for it guys. I'm hoping he can pull it down. Def some stiff competition but I'm one that thinks he's def opened the eyes of many around the NHL.
I think he has earned consideration...

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
  #21
Xtranova
Registered User
 
Xtranova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
My bad... Wasn't aware of that Elliott just played 36 games. When that's said though the Vezina is handed out yearly which means a good year (very good year) is all you need... Despite previous seasons...But regarding his number of games I hope Hank gets it, though I'm sure Bettman would love to snub NY by splitting it :/

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
  #22
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Hank locked for Vezina? I know this is OT, but Elliott's stats are trough the roof now... Typical NHL to pass up on us innit??
Elliott only has 34 starts

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:34 PM
  #23
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!
 
5Minutes4Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Bergeron finally gets his due for Selke.....Hank runs away with Vezina in a landslide.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:37 PM
  #24
Ice Hockey
Registered User
 
Ice Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
4 mins!? and cally is a born leader

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:38 PM
  #25
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
It is obnoxious. I agree.

Same with the Norris. Girardi should be a prime candidate and finalist for the Norris but he doesn't have the points. It isn't supposed to be best offensive defenseman, rather its supposed to be best defenseman.

There needs to be separate trophies for top offensive and defensive defensemen.

And separate trophies for top defensive and offensive forwards.
I can at least tolerate the Norris because as you said, there's only one award for defensemen, so it might as well go to a guy who is very good on both ends. The Selke, on the other hand, is supposed to be a purely defensive award and it's not voted that way.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.