HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII

Old
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Sutter seems to have lit a fire under Lewis' butt. I think it was Sutter who said he'd like to see him (and I believe Richardson as well) to play more like how Helm and Abdelkader play. Lewis has stepped it up, and Richardson didn't, which is why he finds himself in the press box most nights.
To me, Lewis has always hustled. He's just being used correctly, which didn't happen under Murray. Sutter has given him a chance to succeed and shown confidence in him. It's great to see. I'm a big Lewie fan. The guy has talent.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
To me, Lewis has always hustled. He's just being used correctly, which didn't happen under Murray. Sutter has given him a chance to succeed and shown confidence in him. It's great to see. I'm a big Lewie fan. The guy has talent.

1st round talent??? ( I think 17 overall? )

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post

it's been covered to often. he hustles and has found another gear he didn't have before, but DL over reached on this pick. i think the last 1/3 of last season and the playoffs we really started to see him come into his own. now he has raised the bar further. at least if he can't score, he is doing something productive (you listening Penner). he gets in quick and is aggressive, causing havoc. he had 2 or 3 shifts last night where he stood out, from just causing constant havoc in the SJ zone. now if he could just begin to consistently get on the sheet for 20-30 pts a season and i would really be happy.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:18 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Agreed.

Give him a couple of seasons under Sutter and let's see what happens.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
I'm thinking 4th line center.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:35 PM
JT8888

If the jackets opt to take our 1st for next year would you guys be willing to trade it to the blues for Chris Stewart ?

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
If the jackets opt to take our 1st for next year would you guys be willing to trade it to the blues for Chris Stewart ?
Yup, I probably would, depending on what he's after next year, he's an RFA but we could do without the distraction of resigning him.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I prefer the Kings get a left handed LW. I think I'd rather they hang onto the 1st, draft and develop a talented prospect, and look to fill that LW void via free agency.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

no interest in Stewart. Top line LW or bust please.

Stewart just takes Penner's role as the underachieving whipping boy

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
no interest in Stewart. Top line LW or bust please.

Stewart just takes Penner's role as the underachieving whipping boy
he still has 15g on his off year. and still is young. and even with his contract we can go after pipe dream parise.

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Zach Parise please.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

It is nice to be talking about a full lineup of NHL quality players who can contribute.

One of my favorite things about Sutter over Murray is that we no longer have to watch players like Westgarth, Ivanans, Clune etc. taking regular shifts. The goon is dying and it's great for hockey. Sure we still have wastes like Penner and Stoll, but really it's not fair, there is no way anyone could have predicted just how terrible they would be.

Next season with Penner and Stoll moving on and the large amount of cap space freed up the Kings should be able to roll 4 lines for the first time since the 2001 playoffs.

I think the Top 6 may stay the same with the possible exception of improving Williams or Brown. Not saying it will be Parise, but one of the lesser guys, maybe a finisher for Kopitar.

FA - Kopitar - Brown
King - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Loktionov - Williams
Clifford - Fraser/Cliche/Lewis - Nolan

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Perro

What is everyone's preference for our first. Would you rather have Columbus take it this year or next.
I would rather them take it this year even though I hope to christ it will be a better numebred pick then next, as it's not suposed to be all that deep of a draft this year, and then we would have our first in 2013 at the deadline next year in case we need to do something.
Not sure whatI do if I am columbus. You have to think the kings will be sitting in a better position this time in 2013.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Would prefer Columbus to take this year's 1st. As you said, it's not a very deep draft. In fact, this draft is looking like it will be defense heavy, so this all but assures that we would avoid seeing Lombardi draft a defenseman in the first round if Columbus opts for the 2012 pick.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I imagine they will want next years over the 30th pick this year

boom

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I imagine they will want next years over the 30th pick this year

boom
That would be unreal. I would be a-ok with that transaction. Kings over pens in 6.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
SFKingshomer

Lewis was an Al Murray pick. I remember reading on here that Lombardi was furious after seeing more of Lewis at World Jr.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Just looked at some stats and noticed that our sixth leading scorer (Stool) has a whopping 19 points. Ouch. Talk about a need for secondary scoring.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Just looked at some stats and noticed that our sixth leading scorer (Stool) has a whopping 19 points. Ouch. Talk about a need for secondary scoring.
We are in need of primary scoring as well. Remember when we sucked but had 30 goal scores.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Lewis was an Al Murray pick. I remember reading on here that Lombardi was furious after seeing more of Lewis at World Jr.
Then we have to give Al credit for Bernier then, right? Or are we going to give Dean the credit for the good pick and Al takes blame for the bad one?

I still have a hard time believing that Lombardi didn't have final call on these picks. Taylor and Murray's view on drafting goaltenders is a lot like Lombardi's views on drafting wingers in the first round. And it's hard to think Dean would have traded the 2nd best player on the Kings for a draft pick that was going to be made by a lame duck scouting director.

Either way, whoever made the pick should be criticized for taking such a limited player that high.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Then we have to give Al credit for Bernier then, right? Or are we going to give Dean the credit for the good pick and Al takes blame for the bad one?

I still have a hard time believing that Lombardi didn't have final call on these picks. Taylor and Murray's view on drafting goaltenders is a lot like Lombardi's views on drafting wingers in the first round. And it's hard to think Dean would have traded the 2nd best player on the Kings for a draft pick that was going to be made by a lame duck scouting director.

Either way, whoever made the pick should be criticized for taking such a limited player that high.

Lombardi flatly said that he had zero time to scout the kids available. What's so hard to understand about that?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Lombardi flatly said that he had zero time to scout the kids available. What's so hard to understand about that?
Ok fine. I'm not going to challenge you, I simply don't know. Still though two questions..

1. Why would Lombardi trade the second best player on the Kings for a draft pick he wasn't personally going to make? Was he that high on O'Sullivan, a player he surely saw tear up the AHL the year before?

2. Bernier seems to go against everything Murray previously stood for. The Kings had numerous chances during the Taylor/Murray years to draft goaltenders high and never did.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Ok fine. I'm not going to challenge you, I simply don't know. Still though two questions..

1. Why would Lombardi trade the second best player on the Kings for a draft pick he wasn't personally going to make? Was he that high on O'Sullivan, a player he surely saw tear up the AHL the year before?

2. Bernier seems to go against everything Murray previously stood for. The Kings had numerous chances during the Taylor/Murray years to draft goaltenders high and never did.
When Lombardi came here, one of the first things he said was "we're going to develop a #1 goaltender." It was part of his philosophy.

Then, the 1st draft pick the Kings made after DL's hire was Bernier, a goaltender. I don't think it's a coincidence. Lewis also has the characteristics of a Lombardi pick.
I can't imagine any GM just looking the other way and not having anything do to with the 1st round picks, even if he was a new hire.

Dean was a scout before he became the Kings GM. He knew what talent was out there.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lombardi made the trade for that pick under the condition that Trevor Lewis would be his pick. They had targeted him, however, I'm not sure if it was under Al Murray's suggestion, whether it was Lombardi's targeted player, or a combination of both. If you watch the video of the pick, it seemed evident as to who the Kings were going to select before it was officially announced.

What I thought I remember reading was that Trevor Lewis was this "sleeper" pick who had risen high on many scouts' lists and that he was someone Philadelphia had heavily scouted, among other organizations. We also know very well how much this organization loves drafting prospects from the US Development program, going back to the Taylor/Murray regime and currently with Lombardi.

I wish the Kings had taken a chance at a high end player as it seemed obvious then that Lewis was a late bloomer who had probably reached the peak of his development curve at the level he was playing at. He didn't advance his game much further after the Kings moved him out of Michigan and to the OHL.

Here's video of the pick for those who want to watch (it includes an interview with Lombardi concerning his picks). It's worth noting that the Kings nearly traded for Roberto Luongo at the draft. I wonder what assets were being offered to Florida...

Old
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's the 2006 Central Scouting Rankings of North American prospects.
http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin.../naskaters.pdf

Trevor Lewis is ranked 30th. They had Claude Giroux ranked 38th. Lewis went at 17, Giroux went at 22. Credit the Flyers for doing their homework. Bernier was the top ranked goalie by CSS and was the first goalie selected that year.

Here's the draft guide for those interested:
http://cdn.nhl.com/panthers/bc/image...draftguide.pdf

To compare, TSN's rankings, which had Bernier going at 14 and Lewis at 21, ahead of Giroux.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784