HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres @ Capitals 7:00 PM ET 03/27/2012

Old
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
This team must live or die with Vokoun the rest of the way. If he truly wants a chance to play playoff hockey, he must rise to the occasion, be the guy he's supposed to be, and steal some games down the stretch.
Agreed. Is he healthy to start in Boston?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Fleury4ever

I haven't watched too much Caps hockey this year, but what is going on with the defense down low?

It seems like an unrealistic expectation that any goalie can be consistently good when the defense is like that.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The dream is gone.

I have become comfortably numb.
It's the theme of the year

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Rafalski is retired... and i thought he was a great player.

Lived across the street from my Grandma in Detroit
FYI- Raffie lives in the same city he lived in for most of his life: Allen Park

http://www.freep.com/article/2009061...-hometown-hero

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:54 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Agreed. Is he healthy to start in Boston?
he says so. no telling what DH thinks.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Too lazy to read back, but if that was the quote, then ok. I can agree. But as I said, they haven't lost a must-win game this season - yet.

I didn't watch/hear Hunter's comments, but I'm not surprised. This organization, including Dale, sadly, is excuse central. It's a culture built on celebrating false victories like SE Division championships and rationalizing failure. There will be no winning until winning is insisted upon. DH and Laich and all the other apologists should just shut up.
Well put.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
The dream is gone.

But just in case, Dr. Ted prescribes 10 more CCs of McPhine drip.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:18 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Braden yells at me when I do it.

The kids frustrating as hell, and coaching could work on him except we have an absentee coach tanking so he can go farm.

His biggest problem is he goes spastic with wide open nets in front of him. This whole team goes spastic in a lot of situations.
The guy I saw wearing #90 last night looked lost. He has been quietly regressing all season, IMO.

Regressing could also be used to accurately descibe the Caps as a whole. We can debate when the regression actually started (after the Montreal series/collapse, or 10 or so games prior to BB's getting the boot), but it seems this team has gotten worse at both ends of the ice in a painfully obvious way. Missing the playoffs will be rock bottom, I hope.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
The guy I saw wearing #90 last night looked lost. He has been quietly regressing all season, IMO.

Regressing could also be used to accurately descibe the Caps as a whole. We can debate when the regression actually started (after the Montreal series/collapse, or 10 or so games prior to BB's getting the boot), but it seems this team has gotten worse at both ends of the ice in a painfully obvious way. Missing the playoffs will be rock bottom, I hope.
Of course 90 looks lost, hes not a franchise type player. Hes a young and tender player that needs to have a security blanket for the first few years. I thought the Caps had that with players like Backstrom and Laich in front of him. Backie goes down and now hes thrust into becoming a go-to guy. I was hoping like many he would seize this opportunity, and he hasn't, of course. Then again who has seized this season for the Caps? Aside from Ovie going on some 10 goal 10 game tear no one has carried this team, no one has played there role good enough to be where this team absolutely should be. Though injuries to key players are never good and I hate to bring this up but the Penguins did fantastic having the top 2 players in the game out of there line-up.

I was big on Hunter coming in for bruce because it was indeed time for bruce to go, now I'm wondering who can replace hunter for next season that has the drive and motivation to go into a room with a bunch of egos and make them winners and play for each other?

I honestly don't even know what to think. I'm just really disappointed

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Regressing could also be used to accurately descibe the Caps as a whole.
I think it's become apparent that our best defense was a good offense. Teams played on their heels against us and were afraid to have their D-men pinch and their forwards forecheck low and aggressively for fear that they'd get smoked by our counter-attacking/always rushing forwards.

We just suck at being passive and patient - other teams sense it and they attack us, and we aren't tenacious enough defensively to deal with it. So we're the ones playing on our heels most of the time and we ain't good at it.

We decided we couldn't win playing like the 80s Oilers.
I think we now know that we can't change guys that seemed to thrive playing like the 80s Oilers into guys that play like the 1995 - 2005 NJ Devils.
So now what?

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I think it's become apparent that our best defense was a good offense. Teams played on their heels against us and were afraid to have their D-men pinch and their forwards forecheck low and aggressively for fear that they'd get smoked by our counter-attacking/always rushing forwards.

We just suck at being passive and patient - other teams sense it and they attack us, and we aren't tenacious enough defensively to deal with it. So we're the ones playing on our heels most of the time and we ain't good at it.

We decided we couldn't win playing like the 80s Oilers.
I think we now know that we can't change guys that seemed to thrive playing like the 80s Oilers into guys that play like the 1995 - 2005 NJ Devils.
So now what?
Seems to me you choose neither extreme. Why not the late '90s Red Wings as a model? They played a powerful, euro-style offense but were solid on D. In fact, that sounds a lot like today's Wings.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:35 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Seems to me you choose neither extreme. Why not the late '90s Red Wings as a model? They played a powerful, euro-style offense but were solid on D. In fact, that sounds a lot like today's Wings.
Totally agree -- but we don't seem to have the guys that can strike that balance. The Wings can play a patient, defensive style of play and still control the tempo of a game -- our guys cannot do that.

It'll be interesting to see what the Pens do in the playoffs -- they are giving up a ton of chances, but just flat out-scoring the opposition based upon the cohesiveness of their forward group. Wonder if they'll change their style at all once the post-season starts. I don't think they need to -- they can outscore most anyone they face if the game is up-and-down, chance trading. And they have a goalie who can be ordinary on some nights (and it often doesn't matter because the Pens will score more goals) and on others he flat out steals games for them.

It would be crushingly ironic if the Pens win the Cup this year playing trade chances, run n gun hockey.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
It would be crushingly ironic if the Pens win the Cup this year playing trade chances, run n gun hockey.
Or 1st round vs Ryan Miller and... some golf after.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Atlas

Quote:
The dream is gone.

Pink Floyd is so depressing. :/ Great, great artists. Bleak and mistaken ideas.

I've been down on Ted and the org since the Habs fiasco. He just doesn't get it--it's a real bummer for us fans. He is just the other side of the same coin from Peter Angelos.

/Pity Party.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:22 AM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i believe that the correct quote was boudreau had not lost a must win regular season game.
Nope. I remember. Nice try though.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

The quote absolutely included the words "regular season." Mrwarden isn't an idiot like some other people may or may not be. He remembers the playoff losses.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Feel free to whine in response to this as per usual, but I don't recall ever, even once, losing a must win regular season game under Bruce, let alone at home.
nice try?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Sometimes I feel lazy when I don't double check a stat before posting, but I don't want to be wrong so I check anyway.

Not being willing to click one page back seems odd.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote