Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
If we get 2nd overall who you think were gonna take. Its gotta be a forward right? I don't see the wild to take grigorenko though with the whole russian thing.
For the last time, there isn't a Russian factor to these players. They have been playing in NA. *facepalm*

Old
03-28-2012, 03:19 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I'm hoping for Galy!

Old
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Cranky and Proud.

vCash: 0
Quote:
If we get 2nd overall who you think were gonna take. Its gotta be a forward right? I don't see the wild to take grigorenko though with the whole russian thing.
The more I have been hearing about Galenchyuk (Spelling probably way off), the more I like him and would approve of taking him 2nd overall.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:36 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Flahr is personally scouting players for whom we will use our first round pick. It sounds like he had very heavy interest in Galchenyuk. I suspect that is who we would target at #2.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
sioux210

im confused of why everyone wants to draft another forward, were set in forward prospects, theres alot of good defensemen that we could take like murray, reinhart, dumba, etc. i feel like it would be a big mistake to take a forward, and yes theyre mostly russians and i get that theyve been playin in north america but still... theyre russians. we have no good defensive prospects besides brodin. we drafted all the forwards we need, its time for some defense. a potential 2nd overall, we can take the best defense prospect in the draft because nail is obviously is going first. or we could trade down and maybe get a good D prospect and then draft another in the top 15 or something.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Honestly, I don't care who they pick. I trust them. I would like an offensively gifted player, but I have faith in them. After the last couple drafts I can't help but be positive and jubilant about what we can do with a high pick.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Cranky and Proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
im confused of why everyone wants to draft another forward, were set in forward prospects, theres alot of good defensemen that we could take like murray, reinhart, dumba, etc. i feel like it would be a big mistake to take a forward, and yes theyre mostly russians and i get that theyve been playin in north america but still... theyre russians. we have no good defensive prospects besides brodin. we drafted all the forwards we need, its time for some defense. a potential 2nd overall, we can take the best defense prospect in the draft because nail is obviously is going first. or we could trade down and maybe get a good D prospect and then draft another in the top 15 or something.
Because we still don't have a big difference maker on offense. We are loaded with playmakers, but we still do not have a pure goal scoring Steven Stamkos type player who will just bury the god damned puck.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Because we still don't have a big difference maker on offense. We are loaded with playmakers, but we still do not have a pure goal scoring Steven Stamkos type player who will just bury the god damned puck.
But let's be honest. Only one team has a Steven Stamkos-esque player.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Broad, broad generalization:

Nail ~ Gaborik/Bure/Ovechkin type
Grigo ~ Thornton type
Gal ~ Hossa type

Obviously if we draft a guy who can become the next Thornton or Hossa that would be nice, but we'd still lack the game breaking goal scorer. Nail is that guy.

I'd feel more comfortable with Gal, even though his ceiling isn't as high, than Grigo.

But getting the best defenseman in the draft, be it Murray, Dumba, or whoever, would be sweet.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Cranky and Proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
But let's be honest. Only one team has a Steven Stamkos-esque player.
I was being overly broad.

Also, what Jarick said about the top forwards is pretty spot on I think.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

For the love of god people:

GALCHENYUK
IS
NOT
RUSSIAN

Last I checked, Madison, WI is not in Russia. Minsk, Belarus is not in Russia. Chicago, IL is not in Russia. Sarnia, ON is not in Russia. Yes, he spent some time in Russia, but I spent some time in Canada last year, that sure as hell doesn't make me Canadian.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
for the love of god people:

Galchenyuk
is
not
russian

last i checked, madison, wi is not in russia. Minsk, belarus is not in russia. Chicago, il is not in russia. Sarnia, on is not in russia. Yes, he spent some time in russia, but i spent some time in canada last year, that sure as hell doesn't make me canadian.
you g.d. Mountie!

Old
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's why I'd be more comfortable with Gal over Grigo. Also, no supposed effort inconsistencies.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
mnwildgophers

Isn't it the least bit concerning about his injuries? Or is Gal back now?

Old
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Came back in the last two weeks, IIRC.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I believe he is back playing. He tore his ACL which is a lot more predictable, and easier to overcome then say a concussion or two that Nail has had. The other forward option Grigs has been inconsistent with his competitiveness, which I think is a bigger knock then an ACL tear. Just my opinion though.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
mnwildgophers

There's no reason that we can't go for a forward in this draft, if he's going to be significantly better than the said defenseman. If we end up with #2, I'll trust the Wild brass for whoever we take, but it sure seems like Gal is very high on our list.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Yeah, if this were the 1980s I would take the guy with concussion problems no doubt.. But with advances in medical technology and what we NOW know about concussions, I'd say the guy with the ACL problems is a safer bet. Still something to think about though.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Cranky and Proud.

I would not be surprised if Nail was actually passed on by the Jackets because he is A: Russian and B: Concussion prone.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
I would not be surprised if Nail was actually passed on by the Jackets because he is A: Russian and B: Concussion prone.
CBJ can't possibly be that dumb. They would trade out of #1 before they picked someone not named Nail.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Doobz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
For the last time, there isn't a Russian factor to these players. They have been playing in NA. *facepalm*
You sure about that. Radulov played in the Q and who thought he would leave to go to the K. And the last time we had a russian on our team was probably zyuzin. There hasn't been one russian on the team since fletcher took over.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
Here's the logic:

The current members of the Wild team would probably not 1st liners or 1st paring on a Stanley Cup team. So, we have to build that line from our prospects or elsehere. We have a ton of good forwards prospects, one great Dman prospect, one good Dman prospect, and a bunch of middling Dmen. Let's look at guys in the Wild system under 22ish.

Potential 1st liners: Granlund, Coyle
Potential 2nd liners: Phillips, Larrson, Haula, Zucker, Lucia
Potential top-9 guys: Bulmer

Potential 1st pairing: Brodin, Scandella
Potential 2nd pairing: Spurgeon, Seeler
Depth Dmen: Cuma, Lorenz

When looking at it that way, it's clear that another 1st line forward would go a long way. We need at least one if we are going to build a Stanley Cup team. Granlund isn't a given as much as we want to believe. And Coyle might just be a 20-20 guy in the NHL. You generally don't get elite forwards outside of the top-10 in a draft. Now, 1st pairing Dmen, you can possibly find maybe in round 2.

That said, I think getting Murray or Dumba could be huge for the Wild.

Note - I am well aware that guys like Koivu and Heatley are "1st liners", but when just look at our prospect pool, it's clear that we need truely elite forward as much as we need a top pairing Dman, if not more.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
You sure about that. Radulov played in the Q and who thought he would leave to go to the K.
Yes. I am sure. There were many who thought he'd leave to go to the KHL. He had said this multiple times. Guess what though? He's back.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
sioux210

Quote:
ha really? thats like a once every 10 yr type of player, really rare, not every top pick is gonna turn into that, and by the looks of it the only one that could be is nail and unless the blue jackets pass on him we wont get him soo yea. a good team needs balance and even depth

Old
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, briefly, after bolting for a few years.

Also, Filatov, who was supposed to be "safe" after playing CHL, and then bolting to Russia TWICE.

Also, Kuznetsov, who is staying in Russia to make tons more money because there is no transfer agreement.

Closed Thread