HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Greg Pateryn (two-year contract)

Old
03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
This year yes but next year we have room to sign 23 more players(including 10 NHL RFA's). I think now is the ime to sign Quailer.
We still have to sign Kristo, Kishel (if we plan to) and John Westin. And we'll probably sign Beaulieu since it's his fourth year in the Q. Pretty tight like I said and I don't know about you, but I want my excellent up and coming pool of prospects surrounded by some good vet presence - more contracts.

Also, it wouldn't hurt Quailer at all to spend another year and actually dominate. It's not a rush

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
We still have to sign Kriston, Kishel (if we plan to) and John Westin. And we'll probably sign Beaulieu sice it's his four year in the Q. Pretty tight and I don't know about you, but I want my excellent up and coming pool of prospects surrounded by some good bet presence - more contracts.

Also, it would hurt Quailer at all to spend another year and actually dominate. It's not a rush
I don't see Kishel or Westin being signed.

Quailer will be 23 next year, to me it makes more sense for him to play pro than play another year college, especially after a strong year. I wouldn't be devastated if he held off another year but I think the time is right for him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
You can't really qualify Tinordi as being "rushed" if he makes the team next year. He'll be 20 yrs old and has spent the past 2 yrs in the OHL. Also, he's physically ready and could easily play 16-18 mins per game while he gets acclimated to the speed of the game.
Putting Tinordi in the NHL at 20 would be the very definition of rushing him. He should spend the year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

Quote:
Didn't know he was expected to, but not a rush. I'd prefer he has one more season at Northeastern to hopefully dominate.

As for Kristo, it actually is a big deal if we sign him next season.
Because he played in the USHL the year after being drafted, Canadiens could lose his rights on June 1st, 2012 if he forgoes his senior year after the 2011-12 season.
Quailer from the rumblings I heard wants to turn pro, but I don't know if the Habs are on the same page or not, we'll find out this summer I'm guessing.

As for Kristo here's what can happen,

1. He can sign with us at any time before August 15th 2013.

2. If he opts to go back to North Dakota, then the Habs have until August 15th, 2013 to sign him. If he goes back to ND he can't sign with any other team, but he could refuse to sign with us and after Aug 15th, 2013 he would be a UFA.

3. If he wants to leave ND, but not sign with the Habs, he has till June 1st, 2012 to tell the Habs so he can be a UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
If someone should correct me, atleast Kristo, Beaulieu are the next on the list to be signed by this summer, and both should be in the AHL starting next season ight?
Yes Beaulieu will be signed at some point. Quailer/Kristo who knows what either will do. John Westin needs to be signed as well or we lose his rights.

Quote:
For Kristo, can't we sign him and let him playing the NCAA, but I think there is some rule that if he signs an contract he can't play in NCAA sports?
No, once you sign a pro contract you can't play in the NCAA.

Quote:
Because of an early birthday right?
Yes, he's a late B-day as the cutoff is Sept 15th for the draft, but as long as you turn 20 before Jan 1st then you can play in the AHL as a CHL draft pick.

Quote:
Why's that? Did he not play for the US National U18 team the year we drafted him and then play in the USHL? Meaning we'd have to sign him by June 1st?
He has to notify the Habs before June 1st if he wants to opt out of signing with the Habs and is not returning to the NCAA next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Putting Tinordi in the NHL at 20 would be the very definition of rushing him. He should spend the year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game.

Quailer from the rumblings I heard wants to turn pro, but I don't know if the Habs are on the same page or not, we'll find out this summer I'm guessing.

As for Kristo here's what can happen,

1. He can sign with us at any time before August 15th 2013.

2. If he opts to go back to North Dakota, then the Habs have until August 15th, 2013 to sign him. If he goes back to ND he can't sign with any other team, but he could refuse to sign with us and after Aug 15th, 2013 he would be a UFA.

3. If he wants to leave ND, but not sign with the Habs, he has till June 1st, 2012 to tell the Habs so he can be a UFA.

Yes Beaulieu will be signed at some point. Quailer/Kristo who knows what either will do. John Westin needs to be signed as well or we lose his rights.

No, once you sign a pro contract you can't play in the NCAA.

Yes, he's a late B-day as the cutoff is Sept 15th for the draft, but as long as you turn 20 before Jan 1st then you can play in the AHL as a CHL draft pick.

He has to notify the Habs before June 1st if he wants to opt out of signing with the Habs and is not returning to the NCAA next year.
So they'll likely have discussions sometime soon then, regarding his future with the Habs. I can't see them not wanting him signed this year regardless what he decides to do. We have so little depth up front. I think they'll use the oppertunity to sign him.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Pateryn is a big boy and a good skater. I could see him being similar to a Craig Rivet styled defenseman in his prime.
Pateryn doesn't have any offensive upside at all. Rivet was a decent 2nd unit pp guy in the NHL and also had great offensive stats as a junior.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Thx for answering my questions guys!

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If signing a prospect is Gauthier's best move..

Well, that's probably true..

Shows how awful he is.
Its like Erik Cole, Alexei Emelin, and Raphael Diaz don't exist.

I don't want Gauthier back, I want him gone, but that doesn't mean I won't give him credit for bringing in those three guys this year.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
We still have to sign Kristo, Kishel (if we plan to) and John Westin. And we'll probably sign Beaulieu since it's his fourth year in the Q. Pretty tight like I said and I don't know about you, but I want my excellent up and coming pool of prospects surrounded by some good vet presence - more contracts.

Also, it wouldn't hurt Quailer at all to spend another year and actually dominate. It's not a rush
Doubt we sign Kishel or Westin.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quailer not happening. We have until 2013 and are very tight on contracts. Kristo, we've got no choice, so I hope he's up next too.
Not so sure about that. We'll likely let go quite a few of the expiring contracts.

We can reasonably expect the Habs to no tender an offer to:

30. Masse, Dany (gone for sure IMO)
31. Mitera, Mark (gone for sure IMO)
35. Slaney, Robert (gone for sure IMO)
36. Engqvist, Andreas (gone for sure IMO based on the lack of NHL opportunity/icetime despite AHL success)
37. Bishop, Hunter (gone for sure IMO)
38. Nash, Brendon (No really sure, that injury was really bad for his career. No doubt would have gotten NHL time this year. Might be too low on depth chart now)
39. Geoffrion, Blake (gone for sure IMO based on how he's been a healthy scratch)
43. Nokelainen, Petteri (gone for sure IMO)

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...2&year_id=2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Its like Erik Cole, Alexei Emelin, and Raphael Diaz don't exist.

I don't want Gauthier back, I want him gone, but that doesn't mean I won't give him credit for bringing in those three guys this year.
Kinda proves the point...

Cole is a good signing right now but the term he was given will be and still is an issue. His ability to play well relies on his speed, will it still be there 2-3 years from now?

Diaz was a nice find, glad he listened to our scouting staff there.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 03-28-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Habs send a 29 goal scorer to T.Dot.... I guess this way we still have someting to show for it.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:08 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Not so sure about that. We'll likely let go quite a few of the expiring contracts.

36. Engqvist, Andreas (gone for sure IMO based on the lack of NHL opportunity/icetime despite AHL success)
38. Nash, Brendon (No really sure, that injury was really bad for his career. No doubt would have gotten NHL time this year. Might be too low on depth chart now)
39. Geoffrion, Blake (gone for sure IMO based on how he's been a healthy scratch)
43. Nokelainen, Petteri (gone for sure IMO)

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...2&year_id=2012

I think Nash and Geoffrion will be retained.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I think Nash and Geoffrion will be retained.
I hope so but why else would they be making Geoffrion a healthy scratch unless they don't plan on keeping him?

Old
03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I hope so but why else would they be making Geoffrion a healthy scratch unless they don't plan on keeping him?
So he doesn't play enough games to lose his waiver exempt status for next season

Old
03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
So he doesn't play enough games to lose his waiver exempt status for next season
He wouldn't have reached 70 career NHL games even if he wasn't bench. He's at 42 right now. Unless playoff games count then I guess he's at 54 so there is a possibility (though slim IMO). Still don't understand why they don't just let him play in the AHL if they are that concerned that they might need to send him down next season. Or play him a couple times at least see if he's NHL caliber. Perhaps they're keeping him up to give him NHL paychecks.

Still wouldn't be surprised if he isn't signed.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
So they'll likely have discussions sometime soon then, regarding his future with the Habs. I can't see them not wanting him signed this year regardless what he decides to do. We have so little depth up front. I think they'll use the oppertunity to sign him.
I know that the Habs had Martin at Quailer's final game of the season, but I don't know if they want to sign him or not. With his knee injury perhaps they will wait till the development camp to see how he looks and then sign him.

Quote:

43. Nokelainen, Petteri (gone for sure IMO).
I can't see the Habs letting all these RFA's walk. Masse should be back, he's been one of their best players in Hamilton this year until his injury. Nash and Geoffrion should locks to be back.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Cole is a good signing right now but the term he was given will be and still is an issue. His ability to play well relies on his speed, will it still be there 2-3 years from now?

Diaz was a nice find, glad he listened to our scouting staff there.

Is Cole going to just fall off a cliff? The guy has unbelieveable speed and acceleration, even if he loses a step each year he will still be more than dangerous at the NHL level by the end of the contract. His rush speed is only one facet of his game, it's not like he is gomez or something.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
He wouldn't have reached 70 career NHL games even if he wasn't bench. He's at 42 right now. Unless playoff games count then I guess he's at 54 so there is a possibility (though slim IMO). Still don't understand why they don't just let him play in the AHL if they are that concerned that they might need to send him down next season. Or play him a couple times at least see if he's NHL caliber. Perhaps they're keeping him up to give him NHL paychecks.

Still wouldn't be surprised if he isn't signed.
Playoff games do count.

Also they only have 1 non-emergency recall left, so if they send him down, they'd be tight to call him back.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Is Cole going to just fall off a cliff? The guy has unbelieveable speed and acceleration, even if he loses a step each year he will still be more than dangerous at the NHL level by the end of the contract. His rush speed is only one facet of his game, it's not like he is gomez or something.
Think of it this way.

Cole gets 18.5 million over 4 years.

His value this year for what he produced, was probably closer to 6 or 6.5 million than the 4.5 cap hit he is.

So even if in year 4, he's only playing like a 3 million dollar guy instead of 4.5 he'll be on the cap, he'll still be worth it.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

I can't see the Habs letting all these RFA's walk. Masse should be back, he's been one of their best players in Hamilton this year until his injury. Nash and Geoffrion should locks to be back.
I would sign Masse to an AHL contract, not a two-way.

You just can't keep everybody. We are already at 50 contracts and at least 7 guys will be added next year (Beaulieu, Ellis, Gallagher, Tinordi, Pateryn, Bournival and Holland). Odds are high that Kristo and Quailer get signed.

I believe that there is a general consensus that these players are 100% gone : Lawson, Callahan, Mitera, Stafford, Wilsie, Campoli, Slaney, Nokelainen, Bishop.

However, I've added 9 names and only subtracted 9.

If we want some room, at least 5 or 6 of these players will have to be cut loose : Moen, Geoffrion, Palushaj, Darche, Staubitz, Blunden, Henry, Fortier, Masse, Conboy, Engvist and Nash.

Last edited by Booba: 03-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Think of it this way.

His value this year for what he produced, was probably closer to 6 or 6.5 million than the 4.5 cap hit he is.

So even if in year 4, he's only playing like a 3 million dollar guy instead of 4.5 he'll be on the cap, he'll still be worth it.
Its funny that you said that because the Habs intentional signed Cole a contract that pays him 6M this year, and 4M the other 3 years, just so it would be harder for the Canes to match.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Think of it this way.

Agreed but you are only taking into consideration his production, we could even add in the fact he has taken Pacioretty under his wing and helped Desharnais. Who knows how those guys develop without Cole. What if we draft Forsberg and Cole shows him how to develop his skating?

Cole is the one guy I am definitly not worried about.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I would sign Masse to an AHL contract, not a two-way.

You just can't keep everybody. We are already at 50 contracts and at least 6 guys will be added next year (Beaulieu, Ellis, Gallagher, Tinordi, Pateryn, Bournival and Holland). Odds are high that Kristo and Quailer get signed.

I believe that there is a general consensus that these players are 100% gone : Lawson, Callahan, Mitera, Stafford, Wilsie, Campoli, Slaney, Nokelainen, Bishop.

However, I've added 9 names and only subtracted 9.

If we want some room, at least 5 or 6 of these players will have to be cut loose : Moen, Geoffrion, Palushaj, Darche, Staubitz, Blunden, Henry, Fortier, Masse, Conboy, Engvist and Nash.
http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...2&year_id=2012

If we sign all the RFAs, we will be at 47 (with Pateryn).

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Clumsyhab

RDS 5 @ 7 making fun of Pateryn. I hate when those idiots make fun of players they don't know.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...2&year_id=2012

If we sign all the RFAs, we will be at 47 (with Pateryn).
Plus Beaulieu, possibly Kristo, Quailer, Westin and Kishel. Still could get tight

Old
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Plus Beaulieu, possibly Kristo, Quailer, Westin and Kishel. Still could get tight
Thats 52... and it assumes Westin, Kishel, and every single RFA we have will get signed.

This is clearly not the case.

For example, there is no chance in hell Robert Slaney or Hunter Bishop gets a contract.

It is very doubtful Westin and Kishel get contracts.

Guys like Mitera and Nokelainen and Engqvist probably wont be signed.

A gomez amnesty buyout would clear a contract.

ETC... ETC...

There is room if they want to sign Qualier.