HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1C no longer a top priority?

Old
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I realize Hodgson isn't a #1 center. The point was most people wouldn't have considered him realistically available from Vancouver. Trades happen that involve players that most people would consider unavailable, which includes a possible #1 center.

All I was saying was that "unavailable" players can get moved. I know you're looking for a "we should get Malkin" or "we should get Spezza" reply so you can say they're not going to get moved because it's unrealistic. The point is we don't know what's unrealistic and what isn't.
Exhibits B & C in that conversation are Richards and Carter getting moved.

12 months ago, if someone said that a team should deal for either of those two guys they would have been laughed at and the term "untouchable" would have been thrown around. Especially for Richards because he was the Flyers captain at the time.

But, they got moved.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if an "untouchable" center or two moved this summer.

But personally, I'd rather see the Sabres try and make a deal for an under 25yo center with upside like Bjugstad, Huberdeau, etc.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Exhibits B & C in that conversation are Richards and Carter getting moved.

12 months ago, if someone said that a team should deal for either of those two guys they would have been laughed at and the term "untouchable" would have been thrown around. Especially for Richards because he was the Flyers captain at the time.

But, they got moved.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if an "untouchable" center or two moved this summer.
While true, the Sabres don't have the prospects to make it happen IMO unless people are willing to part with a Tyler Ennis + ______. We don't have a Brayden Schenn to trade for a Mike Richards, and if people think Carter is any better than Roy they are crazy.

I don't think a package based around Roy gets us the bonafide #1 center people are clamoring for.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
While true, the Sabres don't have the prospects to make it happen IMO unless people are willing to part with a Tyler Ennis + ______. We don't have a Brayden Schenn to trade for a Mike Richards, and if people think Carter is any better than Roy they are crazy.

I don't think a package based around Roy gets us the bonafide #1 center people are clamoring for.
It all depends on what the team that is moving the center wants.

For instance, if they want a high scoring winger for a center, then perhaps the Sabres could move a guy like Vanek or Stafford or Pominville in a deal for a center.

Kind of like how the Canucks wanted a young, physical winger with offensive upside for CoHo.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It all depends on what the team that is moving the center wants.

For instance, if they want a high scoring winger for a center, then perhaps the Sabres could move a guy like Vanek or Stafford or Pominville in a deal for a center.

Kind of like how the Canucks wanted a young, physical winger with offensive upside for CoHo.
Sabres also have some draft picks they can throw around, including 2 first rounders for the upcoming draft.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

I disagree - if we really want to, we do have the resources to make a persuasive offer. Roy + Armia + BUF 2012 1st is in the same ballpark as Simmonds + Schenn + 2nd if you ask me, and if you disagree, we have even more chips to relatively painlessly add, if need be.

Call up Carolina or Minnesota or Anaheim and see if they're sick enough of the status quo to trade their captain. Again, the "big if" is actually if we think moving for a star center is worth it.

Last edited by SoFFacet: 03-28-2012 at 04:47 PM.
SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Evgeni Giroux

we can just let Ennis and Hodgson develop into legit 1A/B centers and try to add Gaunce, Grigenson, or Faksa at the draft

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
we can just let Ennis and Hodgson develop into legit 1A/B centers and try to add Gaunce, Grigenson, or Faksa at the draft
I like this idea.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Evgeni Giroux

All getting an upgrade 1 center will do is stall the development of Hodgson and Ennis, will lose assets to get that player, he will likely be quite abit older than our up and coming core, best to let Ennis, Hodgson,Roy, and whoever when draft get the chance to run with it next season and see where it goes, If both Ennis and Hodgson become 60pt centers and roy gets 60pts what other teams can roll 3 60pt centers? not many

Old
03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Husko

I think adding a center is a priority. One solid two way center along with a vet winger that can play center for sure (someone like Hecht). Would a dominant #1 center be nice? Hell yeah, but certainly not a necesity.

As far as offseason, if we have the capspace, just add quality players, regardless of position.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:13 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
All getting an upgrade 1 center will do is stall the development of Hodgson and Ennis, will lose assets to get that player, he will likely be quite abit older than our up and coming core, best to let Ennis, Hodgson,Roy, and whoever when draft get the chance to run with it next season and see where it goes, If both Ennis and Hodgson become 60pt centers and roy gets 60pts what other teams can roll 3 60pt centers? not many
Wow, it's been awhile since i've seen a post with so many assumptions.

Getting a #1 center will stall the development of Ennis and Hodgson
Will likely be quite a bit older
Ennis, Hodgson, and Roy all get 60 pts.

Playing devils advocate .... what if ALL three of those guys get under 50? Are you going to complain that Regier didn't get that center in the offseason? You shouldn't.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Evgeni Giroux

I think their is a misconseption with the word 1 C, to be a top 30 center in the NHL you need to put up 55PTS. The Sabres have a rookie center who is closing in on 45PTS and Ennis who has a 0.67PPG average with both being only 22 years old and not even close to their prime. Not to menton the fact that Roy is a 60PT center who is having an off year. Its unlikely that we get a Malkin, Kopitar, or Crosby type of Center so we now need to look at drafting a big center with upside and take some raw centers in the latter rounds and hope one pans out, we our good down the middle.

who would have though that Connolly, Roy, Hecht, Gaustad would turn into Roy, Hodgson, Ennis in less than 12 months?

Old
03-28-2012, 05:26 PM
McTank

Nope we look good at center, I'd like gaunce if he could be a 50-60 point physical 3C behind ennis/hodgsen but I'd say draft the best forward available. Center or wing

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Evgeni Giroux

just though I would throw this out there but the Red Wings who are top 5 down the middle have their top 2 centers under 6' and Flippula is only 6'. Size down the middle is great but not the be all end all

Old
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
THE GURU

Darcy has so many options this offseason its nuts. Trade roy + picks for a bigger scoring center? Use our top picks and trade up for an elite prospect and have them replace roy after next season? So many options the draft should be real interesting!

THE GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
just though I would throw this out there but the Red Wings who are top 5 down the middle have their top 2 centers under 6' and Flippula is only 6'. Size down the middle is great but not the be all end all
Raw size is so overrated. Center of gravity and puck possession instincts >>>

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I think their is a misconseption with the word 1 C, to be a top 30 center in the NHL you need to put up 55PTS. The Sabres have a rookie center who is closing in on 45PTS and Ennis who has a 0.67PPG average with both being only 22 years old and not even close to their prime. Not to menton the fact that Roy is a 60PT center who is having an off year. Its unlikely that we get a Malkin, Kopitar, or Crosby type of Center so we now need to look at drafting a big center with upside and take some raw centers in the latter rounds and hope one pans out, we our good down the middle.

who would have though that Connolly, Roy, Hecht, Gaustad would turn into Roy, Hodgson, Ennis in less than 12 months?
When people use the term "1C" they aren't talking about guys who statistically have at least the 30th most ppg. There is not a static number (30 or otherwise) of 1Cs in the NHL.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yeah, they need a guy who can handle tough defensive minutes and keep up. I don't care if the guy is a physical defensive type or a smart/quick defensive type, just get one. Nielsen would've been a good fit in the smart/quick category.

Dom Moore is out there and in a 3/4 and PKing role, has a track record of shutting down guys in the playoffs. Hell, he was good at that HERE, despite the bum wrist.

Back toward the #1/top 6 type player conversation:

I'm not sold that they could take 1 year of Roy and flip that for some sort of upgrade at center. It would likely be a lateral move, someone who's also had an off-year and likely on a longer deal in a straight one-for-one. Is that worth it right now? Maybe -- depends on the player. Jame threw Bolland's name out there -- that's a guy they could target since the Hawks could use a legit 2 behind Toews who could fill in when Toews is invariably injured (and a guy on a relative bargain cap hit too).

The Pens have no reason to deal Staal. Similarly, Phoenix has no reason to deal Tippett's favorite Hanzel. Stastny has come on again, but now Duchene is hurt/having an off year. Duchene could be the guy to target there -- still has serious upside and once he's healthy, could be a STUD in the middle and there might be enough of an issue with him being in Sacco's **** house again to warrant at least kicking those tires hard.

Kopitar's been mentioned -- Lombardi may want to shuffling things up even more but Carter's playing the wing with Richards instead of center, so it would presuppose Carter shifting back into the middle AND Lombardi being willing to make that move.

It seems a better bet right now is to use the chips they have in this draft to move up for the long-term stud pivot. That's where most teams land theirs, then they develop and hang onto them.

I still think Plekanec is a perfect fit, and one that is probaly available. I think his playmaking and style of play would be lethal between Vanek and Poms. His playmaking skills are great and his defensive play is severely underated IMO. Anyone remember when he and Dom Moore smothered Crosby and Malkin into a playoff defeat? He's really only one small notch below a Selke candiate.

I would do something around Roy and Weber for Pleks or a package of non-roster/ depth assets/ picks (think Adam, Weber and CGY's 2nd). Montreal might not bite, but I think between availability, skill set and need for a strong defensive center Plekanec would be an ideal target

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
TheGreatOne99

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Those Cup teams had unreal center depth and in the case of the Devils, two Selke-quality pivots (Madden/Holik). Buffalo could due to use a guy who is a human erasure out there to round out their center group.
Jason Arnott wasn't exactly a bum either.

TheGreatOne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Raw size is so overrated. Center of gravity and puck possession instincts >>>
agreed, also a reason why Tuevo Teravainen should be a consideration for our 1st rounder

Old
03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
I still think Plekanec is a perfect fit, and one that is probaly available. I think his playmaking and style of play would be lethal between Vanek and Poms. His playmaking skills are great and his defensive play is severely underated IMO. Anyone remember when he and Dom Moore smothered Crosby and Malkin into a playoff defeat? He's really only one small notch below a Selke candiate.

I would do something around Roy and Weber for Pleks or a package of non-roster/ depth assets/ picks (think Adam, Weber and CGY's 2nd). Montreal might not bite, but I think between availability, skill set and need for a strong defensive center Plekanec would be an ideal target
Derek Roy is better then Plekanec, he always has been.... It seems people want to trade Roy for the sake of change.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Derek Roy is better then Plekanec, he always has been.... It seems people want to trade Roy for the sake of change.
Plekanic is significantly better defensively, a better raw playmaker and a better puck possession forward. Considering the Sabres need all of those things, he'd be an upgrade to Derek, with virtually no drop off offensively.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Roy is underrated defensively, as usual.

How many legitimate #1 centers are there in the league that would be a CLEAR upgrade on Roy? Make a list. Now cross off the ones that are never going to get traded (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux, RNH, Toews, etc.) I think you'll find that there aren't that many options out there. Should Darcy make some call? Absolutely. But don't be disappointed when there isn't a deal to be had anywhere.

Heck, even Ryan Getzlaf only has 9 goals and 54 points this year, and I'm sure everyone would say that he is a huge upgrade over Roy.

Point being, don't be disappointed if our top 3 centers next year are Ennis, Hodgson and Roy.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Plekanic is significantly better defensively, a better raw playmaker and a better puck possession forward. Considering the Sabres need all of those things, he'd be an upgrade to Derek, with virtually no drop off offensively.
There likely would be some offensive drop off and Roy at 4 million is a steal when we are this close to the cap

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

The Sabres have great wingers, so they don't need super star centers, but they need good ones, and they have good ones, so it's cool.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
The Sabres have great wingers, so they don't need super star centers, but they need good ones, and they have good ones, so it's cool.
So are we just not going to improve the roster in the offseason?