HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

McDonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in your top four?
P.K. Subban 229 42.25%
Ryan McDonagh 313 57.75%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Clipitar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
This is like comparing Josh Gorges to Subban... not the same type at all...
You're undervaluing him. That comparison would've held some ground a year and a half ago when most NYR fans were just happy with this Gorges-type of upside (I remember reading this quite a lot around here). But I don't think it's valid anymore. McD has more of a Suter-type upside than a Gorges one.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
You're undervaluing him. That comparison would've held some ground a year and a half ago when most NYR fans were just happy with this Gorges-type of upside (I remember reading this quite a lot around here). But I don't think it's valid anymore. McD has more of a Suter-type upside than a Gorges one.
Suter is much closer to Subban than McDonagh is. The real answer is somewhere in between Suter and Gorges.

Suter averages 40 points a season on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league since I can remember, McDonagh doesn't have that two way game yet and I doubt he ever will. And the Rangers are loaded with firepower up front.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Suter is much closer to Subban than McDonagh is. The real answer is somewhere in between Suter and Gorges.

Suter averages 40 points a season on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league since I can remember, McDonagh doesn't have that two way game yet and I doubt he ever will. And the Rangers are loaded with firepower up front.
I believe this type of production is upon McD's reach at some point in his career. Especially if he starts getting the PP time he should be getting, according to some NYR fans in here.

Old
03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I don't think this is invalid, but when you look at the leader board for TOI/G, there is one huge discrepancy between Subban and McD: Gorges is #51 while Girardi is #4. I'm not disputing the fact the NYR are having a stellar year but to me, the team's success is not so much because of their so-called #1 anchor but rather the insane amount of quality depth and great coaching. I don't think any team in this League has a better bottom-six. Maybe McD is the one guy that glues everyone together, but I see so many other key contributors on this team that it's hard for me to allow all this merit you guys are so adamantly giving him.
A first place team is obviously going to have a lot of key contributors, but that shouldn't discount how wonderful he's been this year.

And personally, i think it speaks more about McD that he is part of the first pair on the best team in the EC and possibly the NHL.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Agent View Post
A first place team is obviously going to have a lot of key contributors, but that shouldn't discount how wonderful he's been this year.

And personally, i think it speaks more about McD that he is part of the first pair on the best team in the EC and possibly the NHL.
I think this is better stated than saying he's their #1 anchor. I find it hard to argue someone is the clear-cut anchor of your team when the partner you're being paired with is 4th overall in TOI/game league-wide. (please let's not go into the PP time debate, it has already been previously covered in this thread)

I really do think Girardi has something to say in McD's personal success this year. Same goes for Gorges with Subban, but to a lesser extent obviously.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
most NYR fans were just happy with this Gorges-type of upside
Err. No. Always had the skill to be much better than that.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I think this is better stated than saying he's their #1 anchor. I find it hard to argue someone is the clear-cut anchor of your team when the partner you're being paired with is 4th overall in TOI/game league-wide. (please let's not go into the PP time debate, it has already been previously covered in this thread)

I really do think Girardi has something to say in McD's personal success this year. Same goes for Gorges with Subban, but to a lesser extent obviously.
Girardi gets more ice time since he's more durable than McDonagh. When watching both of them play, it's pretty clear who the better defenseman is. (McDonagh)

Old
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

Yawn. You're pretty off-base here.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Subban is a god, just accept it you atheist!

Old
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Err. No. Always had the skill to be much better than that.
Maybe not you. It's still something I've read countless times coming from NYR fans, whether you want to dispute it or not.

Quote:
Girardi gets more ice time since he's more durable than McDonagh. When watching both of them play, it's pretty clear who the better defenseman is. (McDonagh)
I wasn't arguing that Girardi is the better D-man. I was merely stating that he gives McD a rock-solid, minute-munching partner: something that tells me the #1 anchor on the NYR is their top pair rather than McD by himself.

I could bring up the fact Girardi went to the All-Star game, but I think everyone will agree he shouldn't have got the invite in the 1st place.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Subban is a god, just accept it you atheist!
Scott Gomez was god too.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
habscup

Quote:
Scott Gomez was god too.
So was Zeus, Subban is the real deal playah. He's the man WOOOOOOO PEE KAYYY SUBBANNNNNN

Old
03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
OneSharpMarble

When Subban has his shot going him easily, offensive dmen like Subban who can rush the puck and gain the zone are incredible and hard to come by. McDo is no slouch and sadly would be a perfect partner for Subban but he is not as valuable.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot, McDonagh is going to be better than Suter now too.

What an embarassment rangers fans are right now. Can't even take a compliment when they see one.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's incredible how you took that totally out of context and decided to make an argument out of it, wow.

And McDonagh doesn't anchor anything, look up the meaning of that word and get back to me. He's got Girardi who's just as good defensively and Del Zotto carrying to load on offense.
McDonagh bails out Girardi more than Girardi does McDonagh.

You lost any legitimate say here when you said McDonagh isnt a two way defenseman. You continue to prove your ignorance regarding the Rangers.

My argument has nothing to do with Subban. It has to with you knowing NOTHING of McDonagh's game. Or of the Rangers. Now I'm done. Not going to waste my time any longr.

03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
McDonagh bails out Girardi more than Girardi does McDonagh.

You lost any legitimate say here when you said McDonagh isnt a two way defenseman. You continue to prove your ignorance regarding the Rangers.

My argument has nothing to do with Subban. It has to with you knowing NOTHING of McDonagh's game. Or of the Rangers. Now I'm done. Not going to waste my time any longr.
I'd be curious to hear about your personal evaluation of Subban, since you seem to spend so much time around here and therefore, I assume, watch tons of hockey.

Because that's one of the things that have made this thread a failure in my opinion. NYR fans keep saying how much they love McD, but I have yet to really hear any near-decent evaluation of Subban from you guys. This thread is not about "how good my team's young D-man is", it's about how one fares against each other.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Rangers4Life74

I think this thread is meaningless to even debate right now.why not wait until we see how both players perform in the playoffs this year.

oh,my bad...

Old
03-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Girardi is a shot blocking machine, extremely durable, and probably the toughest living being in the universe. But McDonagh has more skill on both sides AINEC.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Maybe not you. It's still something I've read countless times coming from NYR fans, whether you want to dispute it or not.
The opinions of a few fans does not represent the entire organization or fanbase. Good thing management didn't have that mentality, McDonagh is miles ahead of Gorges.

Quote:
I wasn't arguing that Girardi is the better D-man. I was merely stating that he gives McD a rock-solid, minute-munching partner: something that tells me the #1 anchor on the NYR is their top pair rather than McD by himself.
Both are good defenseman and benefit each other greatly. But the majority of Rangers fans will tell you that McD has been the best defenseman for this team this year and moving forward. Now many would say that's far too high expectations for a 22 year old sophomore defenseman, but he's been better than All-Star shutdown defensemen in Marc Staal and Dan Girardi. Who does PK have to compete for ice time? Josh Gorges, Alexei Emelin and Tomas Kaberle?

Another big note why Girardi logs all those minutes is because he's a right handed defenseman while the rest of the Rangers defense is mainly composed of left handed D-Men. Girardi's right handed shot is the main reason why he's gotten more PP time over McDonagh. Staal also works efficiently playing the same side as McDonagh, so he takes some minutes off of McDonagh's PK time.

Quote:
could bring up the fact Girardi went to the All-Star game, but I think everyone will agree he shouldn't have got the invite in the 1st place.
Nonsense. He deserved to go there at that point of the season. (Logging nearly 30 MPG, on pace for 40 points ,etc)

Old
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I forgot, McDonagh is going to be better than Suter now too.
When did anyone ever imply this?

Quote:
What an embarassment rangers fans are right now. Can't even take a compliment when they see one.
Pot calling the kettle black here. You've embarrassed yourself more than anyone in this thread by trying to pull out your own little facts from your ass.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I'd be curious to hear about your personal evaluation of Subban, since you seem to spend so much time around here and therefore, I assume, watch tons of hockey.

Because that's one of the things that have made this thread a failure in my opinion. NYR fans keep saying how much they love McD, but I have yet to really hear any near-decent evaluation of Subban from you guys. This thread is not about "how good my team's young D-man is", it's about how one fares against each other.
Subban is a great defenseman that I'd love on the Rangers. I'd move any roster player except McDonagh straight up for him.

*Excluding Lundqvist

Last edited by Kershaw: 03-28-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
msv957

It is kind of obvious in this thread the Montreal fans are bitter that Sather stole McD from Montreal.

I still have no idea why Gainey made that trade.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Subban is a great defenseman that I'd love on the Rangers. I'd move any roster player except McDonagh straight up for him.

*Including Lundqvist
You're fired

Old
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You're fired
Haha. Yeah, I went a bit too far there.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:13 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
When did anyone ever imply this?

Pot calling the kettle black here. You've embarrassed yourself more than anyone in this thread by trying to pull out your own little facts from your ass.
You implied it in your answer, obviously.

And the second part is ********, Rangers fans have been as bad if not worse in this thread, my reponses have been accordingly, go read the previous pages in case you haven't been following.

And what facts did I misinterpret exactly? I know you like to believe that McDonagh is your #1 defenseman but TOI and usage proves you otherwise. Did I pull that out of my ass? It's clear as day. If I were to ask Tortorella he'd say the same.

And if he was a two way defenseman like you are suggesting (because clearly I don't know what kind of defenseman he is, having followed him as a prospect throughout his development here, right? right?) then he would be getting powerplay minutes instead of you having a forward on the point.

I don't care if you would trade your whole team for Subban, I wouldn't ever deal him heads up for McDonagh and no Habs fan would.

Closed Thread