HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we realistically keep O'Reilly, Stastny and Duchene?

Old
03-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Drij

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
If O'Reilly and Duchene both get big contracts this off season, I'd say O'Reilly in the 3.5-4 millions range and Duchene in the 4.5-5 millions range. Can we realistically keep all 3 of them and have almost 15 millions locked up in 3 centres?
Yes we can, but theirs no way O'Reilly and Duchene both get over $3 million right now.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:24 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
How the hell can Pittsburgh afford to keep both Crosby and Malkin (2 best players in the world right now) and not to mention Letang, Staal and MAF, and the Avs can't keep O'Reilly, Duchene and Stastny?

I don't see why Avs can't keep this guys if the Pens can keep those players i mentioned. I mean Malkin or Crosby just one of this players is better than O'Reilly, Duchene, Stastny combined.
Not to mention James Neal, Chris Kunitz, and the overpaid defenseman tandem of Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Of course. No doubt about it.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

My question is will McClement resign knowing he's gonna play a 4th line role.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
I hope he does, he's been great in his role

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's averaged close to 14 minutes a game this year. His role is closer to that of a third line center.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He's averaged close to 14 minutes a game this year. His role is closer to that of a third line center.
Yes, but because Duchene has spent a large portion of the year on the wing or hurt. Assuming were planning on him being a center next year, McClement minutes will surely be reduced.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Balls on the table!

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely hope he wants to resign.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
ERTW
Rookie User

Quote:
Yes, but because Duchene has spent a large portion of the year on the wing or hurt. Assuming were planning on him being a center next year, McClement minutes will surely be reduced.
I the only one that's not a big fan of spreading the talent over 3 lines? I hate the idea of having downie on the first line. I'd like to swap duchene in for that role. Course this means he plays wing, which is against most of the HF COL fans wishes but i seriously think that with the body presence of landy and o'reilly, duchene will get more room. Only problem, 3 left handers... maybe landy on the off wing since he shoots so much...

ERTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTW View Post
I the only one that's not a big fan of spreading the talent over 3 lines? I hate the idea of having downie on the first line. I'd like to swap duchene in for that role. Course this means he plays wing, which is against most of the HF COL fans wishes but i seriously think that with the body presence of landy and o'reilly, duchene will get more room. Only problem, 3 left handers... maybe landy on the off wing since he shoots so much...
Downie's perfect for that line right now. He makes all the little plays, gets them the puck, and has underrated offensive ability. Obviously you don't mess with what's working, but eventually I could see Downie on Duchene's wing.

Also just wanted to say that I want McClement to sign, I was just throwing that out there.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Luckily we have Sacco so Duchene plays the wing!
This is actually possible. And might even become necessary if Sgarbossa And Hishon pan out. Part of the problem is you'd have to get Duchene to buy in to playing on the wing instead of forcing him to do it. I actually think he might work with Lando and ROR. But that's for another thread...

They can afford to keep all three and they should keep all three. I have no issue rolling with three scoring lines. Especially when Stastny and ROR can easily play a more grinding role if the situation calls for it. But as has been said, they have to massively upgrade at least one wing position. This is why you have to keep Stastny and Johnson. Those two (USA buddies) plus Sakic could help convince Parise to come here. Well that and Mr. Kroenkes checkbook.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
really? duchene stastny and o'reilly.....three best centers on a fringe playoff team and we're stressing how we're going to keep them?

they're good, but obviously not THAT good.

If Stastny wanted more money than he's already making, it would probably even be in the Avs interest to let him go anyways....

just because they put on an Avs sweater doesn't make them hockey gods and sure fire prospects. I believe more in O'Reilly maybe than the other 2 combined.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
really? duchene stastny and o'reilly.....three best centers on a fringe playoff team and we're stressing how we're going to keep them?

If Stastny wanted more money than he's already making, it would probably even be in the Avs interest to let him go anyways....

just because they put on an Avs sweater doesn't make them hockey gods and sure fire prospects. I believe more in O'Reilly maybe than the other 2 combined.
2 of those 3 guys just turned 21. Stastny had a bad first half but looks like his old self since the new year.

Centers are the least of our problem.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:19 PM
cgf

Who knows what the new CBA will bring but it shouldn't be a problem for us to hold onto our big ticket guys like Radar, Staz, Dutchy, EJ, Lando, Varly and a good chunk of our surrounding pieces. Hell we might even lock up dutchy to a sweet long term deal and even have plenty of room to go buck wild for a guy like Suter, Semin or Parise.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Elever
Hth

Should be able to offer $3 M+ to the two of them plus keep Stastny plus sign re-sign them when the time comes along with Landeskog + have enough cap space to sign two big money FAs if they're willing to spend it.

Besides, the cap will be $100 M by then.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

I dunno if I agree with your final sentence. I love me some Radar and the kid has the drive and intelligence to just keep improving, but Staz isn't exactly a tarded slacker, the kid's a great passer, both his vision and hands are just excellent at it, he's become a great faceoff man makes his fair share of great defensive plays. Personally I think both will be very similar caliber players with Staz being a bit better of a playmaker and Radar being a bit better of a defender, I just don't see all that much separating the two.

Dutchy is a Wildcard, if he can just simplify his game, go back to things that actually work for him and build his game back up, he can still learn to be an absolutely phenomenal player. That is a big IF however.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Adama0905

Yupp, yep we can. Pittsburgh has like 17 million locked up in two centers. If Stastny keeps on keeping on how he's going, he'll probably take a $4 million or so contract next one he gets. O'Reilly will get about 4, Duchene deserves about 3 (but will probably get 4). It's very realistic to keep all three of them in my opinion.

But I wouldn't expect us to, to be honest. I see Stastny leaving when his contract ends unless he picks it up. If not through a trade than by his choice - he'll believe it's the system that's bringing him down.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Duchene has not shown enough this season to get a long-term big money contract. IMO, if he gets big money it will be for a short term, while if he signs long term it'll be at a team friendly price.
No way does he get big money or big term next contract. Unless your version of big money or big term is a lot more tame than mine is.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Congo Jack
Show Me Your Moves!

I really wonder what Duchene will ask for after this year? Even he has to admit he has been off and often injured.

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:03 AM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
This is actually possible. And might even become necessary if Sgarbossa And Hishon pan out. Part of the problem is you'd have to get Duchene to buy in to playing on the wing instead of forcing him to do it. I actually think he might work with Lando and ROR. But that's for another thread...
Hishon hasn't played in 10 months. Even in theory, I really wouldn't count on him being part of the Avs going forward.

I wonder if Sgarbossa would be called up sometime next year.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:07 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Hishon hasn't played in 10 months. Even in theory, I really wouldn't count on him being part of the Avs going forward.

I wonder if Sgarbossa would be called up sometime next year.
I would bet on it. What other forward would? Seems as though Olver will be a mainstay now. Any offensive player goes down we're kind of screwed.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Drizzt1

Kind of have Apathy now. If we lose them, meh, what's it going to hurt. If we were contenders week in, week out, it would be different, but obviously these guys just don't work well together.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Yes, though I'll be quite surprised if we retain Stastny past the expiration of his current deal.

The better question would be whether we can realistically keep Stazz, ROR, Dutch, AND McClement.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote