HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Old
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Wow that sounds like an annoying league.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not sure who's judging. I just don't understand why you would take the risk of major injury to your face when the technology exists to completely protect it.
For the minute, I'm going to leave out the fact that your a goalie so you may not even know of which you speak in terms of how it affects a skater...the simple answer is because the reward in terms of massively improved vision and fun it addes to the game far outweighs the miniscule risk of a serious injury to my mouth/jaw. I take way more risk in other endeavors I engage in (see my avatar), hockey is the least of my concerns. Driving to work is more risky than playing beer league hockey with a half shield.

And, at least for some of us, the difference between a cage and half shield is huge. I've tried to wear a cage, repeatedly. The negative impact on my vision, especially peripherally, is terrible and not worth the benefit IMO.

To each his own.

BTW, those of you who fog up your shields, have you tried the Oakley shields? I sweat like a pig and my shield never, ever fogs.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
For the minute, I'm going to leave out the fact that your a goalie so you may not even know of which you speak in terms of how it affects a skater...the simple answer is because the reward in terms of massively improved vision and fun it addes to the game far outweighs the miniscule risk of a serious injury to my mouth/jaw. I take way more risk in other endeavors I engage in (see my avatar), hockey is the least of my concerns. Driving to work is more risky than playing beer league hockey with a half shield.

And, at least for some of us, the difference between a cage and half shield is huge. I've tried to wear a cage, repeatedly. The negative impact on my vision, especially peripherally, is terrible and not worth the benefit IMO.

To each his own.

BTW, those of you who fog up your shields, have you tried the Oakley shields? I sweat like a pig and my shield never, ever fogs.
Per activity time I wouldn't be surprised if hockey was more "risky".

I haven't used the Oakley shields but I have used the Oakley hydrophobic drops to prevent fogging and it works great.

I also use the blue stuff I bought from hockey monkey.

I sweat way more than anybody I've met. I'd put $100 down that I can out sweat anyone here and I rarely have problems with fogging my shield.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:03 AM
shoeshine boy

for me I would never go without full facial protection. some guys say, "oh, I don't mind a little mouth surgery if I take a puck or stick in the teeth." but I like my own teeth (rather than fake teeth which are VERY expensive) just fine so it's not worth it to me.
what REALLY blows my mind is the legues where you can be playing in your very first game ever and have no facial protection at all. we have a league like that in Atlanta. beginners have no real concept of how fast some of those pucks fly and how irresponsible some people are with their sticks and should be made to wear a half shield at least, imo. haven't these players heard of Steve Yzerman???

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wow that sounds like an annoying league.
Agreed.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:

To each his own.

I skate out as well and the thought of skating without a cage has never crossed my mind.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. Some people just cannot and will not do it and would rather not ride. Others would never think of not wearing one and wouldn't ride without.

At my level I think the most serious injuries are crashing into the boards (spine) and concussions, neither of which are preventable by the gear you wear. Some guys have gotten broken ribs or fractures from pucks or contact, but that's not as bad.

Although we have had at least a couple guys who have died on the bench with heart attacks (not my team, my league). One of them was in his 30's with a young family. Very sad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Per activity time I wouldn't be surprised if hockey was more "risky".
The titanium holding my body together would beg to differ.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. Some people just cannot and will not do it and would rather not ride. Others would never think of not wearing one and wouldn't ride without.

At my level I think the most serious injuries are crashing into the boards (spine) and concussions, neither of which are preventable by the gear you wear. Some guys have gotten broken ribs or fractures from pucks or contact, but that's not as bad.

Although we have had at least a couple guys who have died on the bench with heart attacks (not my team, my league). One of them was in his 30's with a young family. Very sad.
Agree, but the motorcycle is an imperfect analogy, because the probabilty of crashing and needing the protection is higher and the downside of not having said protection is much, much greater.

In the last two years, I've seen two heart attacks, a broken leg, a broken hip and two blown ACLs on the ice. Not a single facial injury. That said, I just mounted my cage to a different helmet to see if it makes a difference in how it works for me. Not all that hopeful about it though.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

I always play with a cage.

It's crazy to me to hear about these heart attacks. I guess it's like shoveling snow. People would be surprised how many people have had heart-attacks doing that.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Canadiens1958

Defibrillators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I always play with a cage.

It's crazy to me to hear about these heart attacks. I guess it's like shoveling snow. People would be surprised how many people have had heart-attacks doing that.
About 10 years ago the Ottawa area was at the forefront of having defibrillators accessible at local arenas and training arena staff in their use.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Agree, but the motorcycle is an imperfect analogy, because the probabilty of crashing and needing the protection is higher and the downside of not having said protection is much, much greater.

In the last two years, I've seen two heart attacks, a broken leg, a broken hip and two blown ACLs on the ice. Not a single facial injury. That said, I just mounted my cage to a different helmet to see if it makes a difference in how it works for me. Not all that hopeful about it though.
On the flip-side, a cousin of mine had two facial injuries while wearing a half-shield in the span of 2 years. The first one he took a butt-end to the teeth and had 4 of his front top teeth knocked out. Not the biggest deal but it was expensive as hell and could have been avoided by wearing a cage. The second one came from a high stick in front of the opposing team's net. One of his team-mates was battling a guy in front of the net and got his stick lifted and the blade of his stick went up underneath my cousin's shield and sliced him right above the eye-lid. He had to get stitches right in that little crease between your eye-ball and your brow. A half an inch lower and he could've lost an eye.

FWIW. These stories are why I prefer to wear a cage.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:54 PM
thepatient

I wore a visor for a few years, and then took it off for a couple of months. I took a stick to the face and it just missed my eye, went back to a visor and won't play without one again. Ironically, I was planning to go back to a visor and had bought one to put on my helmet earlier in the week and forgot it at home the night I took the stick to the face.

thepatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Terry Yake

playing street hockey for years as a kid and teenager, i never once put on a hockey helmet so when i started to play ice hockey i just wore a helmet with no protection

until a few years ago when some moron didn't keep his stick down and almost took my entire eye out. since then i've worn a visor and haven't played without one

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:14 AM
manictech

I wear half shield half cage, the fishbowl, for me I've always really worried about my teeth. My mom didn't want me to take my cage off after I turned 18 because she paid for my braces as a kid, she thinks she owns my teeth. Ha. It's never bothered me but I got a new helmet recently that didn't come with a cage and I've been thinking of leaving it off. On a side note once I saw someone wearing a fish bowl but didn't have the shield in place. I guess they didn't worry about their eyes just their teeth.

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 04:18 AM
jazzykat

I am just half way through my season and I have taken 3 pucks to the cage and one elbow so hard that it knocked me down on my butt when I was skating at the guy. I have a Reakt cage and don't really notice that it is on except during those instances.

The biggest downfall of a cage is that you don't look cool in hockey pictures. The upside is that you normally keep all your teeth and look good in non-hockey pictures.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
JaeTM

I wear a cage as well, although I would like to wear a visor. I get high sticked pretty frequently though so I'm not changing.

JaeTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
manictech

Decided to keep my cage off with my new helmet. I bought a mouth piece today and wow do mouth pieces look stupid on.

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I'm in high school, so I wear a cage.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 12:20 AM
boo10

I've worn a visor for the last 20+ years. Any beer league player that doesn't wear a cage, myself included, is a dumb-dumb!

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:35 AM
JoeCool16

Love playing without any cage or visor, feels great and the visibility is perfect. I always slap a cage on for actual games though... don't trust the mouth guards and definitely wouldn't open up my eyes to any injuries by going visorless either.

I envy the players that'll play in the far future with little forcefields over their faces

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:01 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Blank Space

vCash: 564
Straight cut clear visor.

Used to wear nothing. Wore a cage for a month or so, and actually took a puck to the cage whilst it was on, but I just couldn't get used to it and took it back off.

I'm an official though as well. Starting in the 13-14 season, USA Hockey made visors mandatory for officials, so I got one. Thing was (tough, mod edit) to get on so I left it on when I played as well, and am now just used to it.

Edit: Have suffered a fractured cheekbone from officiating. At the time, was not wearing any facial protection.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 01-04-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: filter issues - asterisks.
Primrose Everdeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 04:07 AM
stocky

I wear a Nike Bauer 8500 cage on my 4500. I just took it off my 9500, and it seems like it is just too heavy, and is pulling my helmet down on my face. I think it worked fine for my old bucket because the helmets weight may have counterbalanced it. Maybe its all in my head and I need to just deal with? Any recommendations for a cage with some good vision that weighs less?

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:12 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
I wear a Nike Bauer 8500 cage on my 4500. I just took it off my 9500, and it seems like it is just too heavy, and is pulling my helmet down on my face. I think it worked fine for my old bucket because the helmets weight may have counterbalanced it. Maybe its all in my head and I need to just deal with? Any recommendations for a cage with some good vision that weighs less?
Bauer Reakt cage is very light. I have one on the Reakt helmet (a very light helmet and don't notice it). There is a thread on here extolling its virtues and they are all true (although it hasn't made me taller?). As long as it doesn't have a bar right in front of your eyes (happens randomly for different people helmet/cage combos) it is unbelievable (like I can't believe I'm wearing a cage!).

Buy it, wear it, profit.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 08:23 AM
rokkinman139

I wear an Oakley pro straight during the summer and have to wear a Bauer tri-point for my team. Thought I was going to hate the tri-point because I always had my Oakley tilted up, but it actually was good. No visibility problems and pretty durable when it comes to scratches and other damage like that.

rokkinman139 is offline   Reply With Quote